Author Topic: Careers that petered/flamed out  (Read 16661 times)

Dr Hass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Careers that petered/flamed out
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2024, 04:12:15 PM »
Duplicate post
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:51:18 AM by Dr Hass »

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2024, 05:38:20 PM »
Mike Barker
Jonathan Ettman
Tony Tave
Sammy Winter
Quy Ngyuen
Seth Cheeks

Anyone have any info on these missing kids?

saw Mike Barker at a HUF demo a few years back and couldnt believe it. Didnt have his board or anything on him, and I feel bad for thinking "wow these people probably have no idea who that is"

Anyone know if he moved out to NYC or something? Seems so random for him to have been there

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2024, 05:40:49 PM »
What about Mike Wright, the U.K. one:

Never really knew why he didn’t get on a US team. Back in the day he was all over the magazines in the U.K. and seemed to possess the trifecta of: being really good, likeable and still very young. Everyone who saw him skate irl, whether up north or around the country, was blown away.

I stepped away from skating for a bit and when I came back I expected he would’ve blown up properly (in an international sense) but it didn’t seem to happen.

Yeah agreed, early 2000s this lad was no joke one of the best in the world, looked like he could do whatever he wanted on a board, proper wizard. The impression I get is that he couldn't really be arsed with being sponsored and such, plus after blueprint folded I don't think there was much of a living to be made in the UK, I know he was on Nike for ages but from what I can gather he just moved back to/stayed in Hebden Bridge, didn't skate much and put a bit of timber on. He did pop up on insta skating the park there a couple of years ago, looked well rusty and pretty out of shape but the magic was still there, you could tell all the kids at the park were fucking blown away by the local skate legend popping out of retirement.

TerryFunk

• Rep: 9
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2024, 06:39:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Truman Hooker
[close]

This name should never be forgotten.

His career/skating? Give or take. But the name? Oh lawd.
[close]

Truman's the man. Used to film with him a ton back in the day. His sister's name is Alli Hooker. The True Man Hooker and Alley Hooker. Incredible stuff.

His part in strange notes’ “crunch time” is what hipped me to him back in the day. I’ve never seen a dude slam so hard and still get the trick

TerryFunk

• Rep: 9
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2024, 06:41:43 PM »
I also have to add Sean Sheffey in here. Dude would’ve been way more influential on skateboarding in general if he wouldn’t have got locked up. His son rips too

dumb skate trick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2024, 07:52:36 PM »
Where did Jub go

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2024, 08:48:16 PM »

cdubble

• Rep: 11
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2024, 09:25:14 PM »

I remember an old interview he and his brother may have gotten jumped and led to a gnarly head injury to either him or his brother. I think that slowed him down and believe he had a pretty decent blow out leg injury around the same time. I mean all his early Creature footy was pretty gnarly. Strange because he randomly popped into my head not to long ago.

His brother did get jumped, pretty sure that he was in a wheelchair for a bit afterwards. I used to film devin all the fucking time and it was a god damn trip to watch and film, Used to be terrified for him and some of the "Spots" he would want to skate. Super nice dude but his career was always a little doomed just with the way he skated unfortunately. He always had heel bruises some other kind of injury from taking huge slams usually off roofs.... Im almost positive he's still around portland but I haven't talked or seen him in awhile since i moved away.

Someone also mentioned casey rigney, there was a short period where he lived in portland and was skating around and filming. He was doing circus de solei *SP* as a skateboarding gymnast of some sort basically skating from kicker to kicker or something to that effect for a bit and then after that he was on the same boats as those Alaskan fishing shows during the spring catching salmon that i think he eventually went back to when he left portland, but this was about 10 years ago, i always got the vibe that he got done a little dirty and no one fucked with him for some reason but he seemed very unbothered by it. One of the few dudes who I tripped out on his ability to pop anything so high.