Author Topic: Trucks wider than the board  (Read 967 times)

Trilogy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -265
Trucks wider than the board
« on: March 01, 2024, 03:37:41 AM »
I have some 149 Independent trucks ( 8.5 axle ) but my favorite board size is 8.25, is it a bad idea to have trucks wider than than the board, what are the problems apart for being obviously a bit heavier and the wheels stick out every time I look to my skateboard??

Has anyone ever experienced trucks wider than the board??
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:22:45 AM by Trilogy »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck wider than the board
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 03:40:25 AM »
Yes
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Trilogy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 03:52:16 AM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 06:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Yes
[close]

yes to which question??

yes, most people have experienced it.
please use the search function.

trilogy is the best video.
your posting leaves a lot to be desired.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 06:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yes
[close]

yes to which question??
[close]

yes, most people have experienced it.
please use the search function.

trilogy is the best video.
your posting leaves a lot to be desired.
^
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 06:39:28 AM »
149s on 8.25 use to be the standard right? now it seems like even though we got more sizes people have a harder time.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 06:49:50 AM »
I always have preferred hot rod over magic carpet. Survived just fine with 8.75 trucks on an 8.38 and 9” trucks on an egg that tapered to 8.6 or so. All about whatever gets you feeling zippy.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 07:01:54 AM »
surprised to see all the hot rod dissent on here. you do realize the current SOTY rides this exact setup?  primitive 8.25" with Thunder 149s.
Jamie Foy also uses a setup similar to this i believe (i think 8.5 on 151s).

Dan Corrigan rides hot rod as well (i only know this cause i watched the video with Ben Degros) and he talks about how doing fs crook feels super easy on hot rod because you can see exactly where the front wheel is so you have a visual of the pinch vs. magic carpet you do not.

It definitely adds more weight to your setup and flips slower, but its a more stable setup for the most part. i personally just cant stand the way it looks! to the point i wont ride it! but I totally get the functionality.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 07:10:53 AM »
149s on 8.25 use to be the standard right? now it seems like even though we got more sizes people have a harder time.
Yes.
There were no 144 or 159s for a long time so 149s covered a lot of board sizes. A bunch of people prob did 139 with an 8.25 too tho.
I think most common these days is one size bigger trucks than board so the wheels sit in line with the edge of the deck and it's just a little bit of axle that sticks out

LeDave

• Rep: -16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 07:17:03 AM »
I use 144 Independent on my 8.25 DGK. The matchup is perfect fitment.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 07:18:44 AM »
144s only came out in 2017 :) you can see the slap thread
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=93917.30

if you look at CCS catalogues for certain years i wanna say like 2000-2005, like basically all you can get is 7.75" and 8" trucks and thats it.
Indy stage 4 with the weird in between sizes was a thing in the mid 90s. it seemed like there was an early truck madness going on and then at some point it got super super unified, only to go mad again like 15 years later

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 08:12:38 AM »
Here are two examples. 159 on 8.5 (off white/green one), and 149 on 8.38 (red). Even with the Lock-In Fulls on one setup the wheels don’t noticeably stick out.

Here’s 8.25 trucks on an 8.25 deck. And even though they are Thunders, the smaller trucks make the setup feel less stable to me.

LeDave

• Rep: -16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 08:14:18 AM »
Here’s 8.25 trucks on an 8.25 deck. And even though they are Thunders, the smaller trucks make the setup feel less stable to me.

That white deck is crazy nice!

Trilogy

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 08:53:02 AM »
thank you all replying this thread.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
Re: Trucks wider than the board
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 09:46:53 AM »
are we gonna start a thread for this question every week
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Trilogy

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2024, 10:44:21 AM »

I havent seen a similar thread before, can you please post the link??

Trilogy

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 10:46:53 AM »
you do realize the current SOTY rides this exact setup?  primitive 8.25" with Thunder 149s.

Miles Silvas, right??

no, I didnt knew that, pretty cool to know that, thanks!

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 11:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes.
There were no 144 or 159s for a long time so 149s covered a lot of board sizes. A bunch of people prob did 139 with an 8.25 too tho.
I think most common these days is one size bigger trucks than board so the wheels sit in line with the edge of the deck and it's just a little bit of axle that sticks out

this is the reason why i ride 8.25 inch deck with 149 indy. but when i look at my truck, i feel like wheels are so much far away from each other and it looks kinda little ugly but i can't go down to 8 inch deck and 144's.

here is the obsession of mine for 8.25: my foot is 11 inch and my stupid brain thinks that 8.25 is the perfect size for me. why? at least 3/4 of my foot will be on the board so it is the perfect size.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 12:30:12 PM »
Generally I think where the axels align with the edge of the board are actually a hair wider than the truck measurement.  ie. an 8.125 deck fits an 8.25 board barely....it totally works though.  So a 149's on 8.5 is a bit off, but not too bad and I think the wheels you skate may make a bit of a difference ie. they hide the axel.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 12:49:27 PM »
Riding ace classic 55 on a 8.6 and the slight hot rod feels pretty coo I can still do my flippidy doodahs and then also sometimes I surprise land stuff and everything just stays on the board thanks to the extra stability. My ankles much prefer it as well. It do be heavy tho, so I’m considering hot rod on a smaller deck size

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 02:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=129407.0
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 04:16:56 PM »
surprised to see all the hot rod dissent on here. you do realize the current SOTY rides this exact setup?  primitive 8.25" with Thunder 149s.

Dan Corrigan rides hot rod as well (i only know this cause i watched the video with Ben Degros) and he talks about how doing fs crook feels super easy on hot rod because you can see exactly where the front wheel is so you have a visual of the pinch vs. magic carpet you do not.

It definitely adds more weight to your setup and flips slower, but its a more stable setup for the most part. i personally just cant stand the way it looks! to the point i wont ride it! but I totally get the functionality.

Foy used to do it. Stopped when he started riding twins. Does 8.5 w 149s now.

With that said, 8.5 with 151s (8.75”) is the shit. My favorite setup for sure, and I set up all my boards like this, whether they’re twins or not. Have for years now. So stable, so rad, and honestly looks like it fits better to me than an 8.5” board with an 8.5” axle. With a quarter inch wider truck, your wheels basically come all the way out to the edge of your board, maybe just a hair wider. Looks way more normal to me than equal axle and board width.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2024, 10:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=129407.0

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126406.0

Expand Quote

[close]

Foy used to do it. Stopped when he started riding twins. Does 8.5 w 149s now.

With that said, 8.5 with 151s (8.75”) is the shit. My favorite setup for sure, and I set up all my boards like this, whether they’re twins or not. Have for years now. So stable, so rad, and honestly looks like it fits better to me than an 8.5” board with an 8.5” axle. With a quarter inch wider truck, your wheels basically come all the way out to the edge of your board, maybe just a hair wider. Looks way more normal to me than equal axle and board width.

I run 8.75 on 8.5 off an on, depends on the truck (Thunder or Royal hollows or better) - I'm not putting 8.75 ACE/Indy/Slappy trucks on anything smaller than 8.75 as the weight increase isn't worth it to me on an 8.5".

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2024, 11:24:06 PM »
AF1 55's with two washers on the inside of 54mm conical fulls on an 8.25 baker, wheels sit perfectly flush. I've ran 8 1/8" decks with AF1 55's and one washer inside as well. Kinda want to get back to blue eagles and 8.75 trucks tho that shit is bomb

Trilogy

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »
Once again, thanks to everyone that replied this thread.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2024, 06:01:47 PM »
you are welcome.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 02:54:01 AM »
For the most part, I hate looking down and seeing significant hot rod. I do a test where I push my board away slowly and if there's some major wheel sticking out it disgusts me and I have to figure out a plan. Usually putting on a thin round wheel with no washers on the inside helps (you can do no washers inside with ace hangers since they're faced). But there's been certain decks probably based on their shape, where I was able to not really be bothered much by the hotrod.