Author Topic: Pro Skateboarders aren't making money - Life with Mikey Taylor w/ Paul Rodriguez  (Read 3979 times)

dill8849

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -41

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

KrisJolson

prod be like "i make the money, you do the tricks"

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
there's no business like horse business...

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
Has Mikey delivered on his city council campaign promise of increasing the availability of public troughs for families in underserved communities? Maybe the rest of the council voted Nay. 

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
Has Mikey delivered on his city council campaign promise of increasing the availability of public troughs for families in underserved communities? Maybe the rest of the council voted Nay.
Has Mikey delivered?
Of horse not.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
Mikey as a business guru will never not be amusing.  I guess why not though, ball players get taken seriously in their careers after the game, despite having no skills in business.  He’s kind of smart to be trading on his skate career and to parlay that into the popularity contest of local politics.  He does seem to fully buy into his own bullshit though, which could come to bite him financially.

The irony of interviewing p rod about skaters not getting paid when he’s the one doing the paying is pretty tone deaf.  It’s literally his job to make sure they do get paid, and to sell and market his staff successfully.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Some thoughts:

- If you use the term hater, especially in your late 30s, you are listening and it bothers you. Don't let them see you sweat.

- I'm not totally sure what core is, but it isn't a group of experienced skaters that are jealous of pros because they didn't make it themselves. Always being on, or conducting, douche bag-scammy-hustle culture podcasts isn't core either.

- I don't believe the mix that Paul gave for his retail to direct to consumer mix. A lot of normal skate shops feel that Primitive has the most aggressive direct to consumer approach. Most companies do it and don't rub shops the way Paul's does. I like their team and videos but I'm not too cool for not wanting a Sriracha collab deck. 

- The St. Archer sale was a very lucky thing. Hundreds of better breweries would give anything to get out. Timing was very kind to them. All the best but I wouldn't pay money to listen to them speak about investment strategies. https://www.molsoncoorsblog.com/news/molson-coors-cease-operations-saint-archer-sell-san-diego-brewery-kings-convicts-brewing

- I'm sincerely happy to hear that Paul took 15K from McDonalds for an Instagram post. Don't think he's conflicted at all as he's mentioned it publicly a few times. "I don't know if I'd let Margot Robbie blow me again..."

rothdigga

• Rep: 574
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
These dudes should have been pro in 1993...when pros REALLY weren't making any money. 

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
Watched a little bit of this and Mikey's idea at 20:26 that most "core" skaters get free product is pretty clueless. I agree with a a bit of what he was saying but stuff like him thinking most 16-18 year olds are sponsored really shows how the knowledge he's trying to project of the skate community is really just knowledge of the small bubble he was in.

one-off

• Rep: 107
prod be like "i make the money, you do the tricks"

and says "we did it baby" after Felipe Mota's ender.  We kf front blunted that rail, did we now?

231st Street

• Rep: -200

Cmon, this was pretty funny.  The level of anger towards Mikey on these boards is astounding.  Yes, it is all kind of absurd, but is take on sour core skaters being haters on slap was classic.  He clearly is still lurking on here.

totallyradical

• Rep: -23
What a lie, pro skateboarders make a lot of money.  I've seen the contests where Beagle and Gary hand out crisp 20's if you risk it all and land some nbd.

231st Street

• Rep: -200

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture

i watched all of mind field the other day, i'm good on the Real Estate Equine for the next year or two
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
 No sir, I don't like it.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
askin a top 1% skater why skaters arent making money....

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
Has Mikey delivered?
Of horse not.

Is this a pony express joke?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Even between these two soulless money fiends, you can tell which one doesn't skate anymore by seeing which one has the empty, sad hollowness in their equine eyes.

one-off

• Rep: 107
Money makes money

Horses make horses

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
Either way, nobody is making as much money as Burnett. That guy gets paid so much fucking money!

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71

- The St. Archer sale was a very lucky thing. Hundreds of better breweries would give anything to get out. Timing was very kind to them. All the best but I wouldn't pay money to listen to them speak about investment strategies. https://www.molsoncoorsblog.com/news/molson-coors-cease-operations-saint-archer-sell-san-diego-brewery-kings-convicts-brewing

It's funny to hear a business "guru" talk about how the real money in owning a company is essentially pump and dumping it.  While I commend anyone who pulls it off, it's still a rich man's con game that very few people get to play.  I've got nothing against duping a big conglomerate into buying your brand, but none of that knowledge is valuable to 99% of people. 

I don't know what the solution is for skate companies but I honestly feel like board companies should have smaller teams that pay more per rider.  Like I think it's almost worse for a rider to make $1000 than to make nothing at all.  To have obligations and pressure from a company that pays you 12k a year is crazy. 

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
Been a follower do what I
I’m told
Been looking at life
Money not there
My ability is there for skill
Why am I not getting paid
the big money
If you can’t see my value I
can’t do this
I need more money
120,000 a year is not
happening
I need      Amount of
money
It’s all about the money for
right now nothing personal
10,000 is okay not great
but we need to work out
some type of residual.
My talent is worth more
than 10000
My name is worth more
than 10000 a month

status

• Rep: -9
Was surprised to hear P-Rod say Primitive hasn't turned a profit. They release so many collabs to the mainstream that you'd think it was profitable as hell by now. And I'd thought that for the past few years, Primitive has been prolly one of the better board brands out there in terms of mainstream recognition which = more money.

Also shocked to hear that most skaters these days cant hit the minimums on their board sales so they're paid a monthly flat rate of ~$1K which is apparently a lot?!?

ACTUAL pro skaters gotta get paid more. Tired of seeing all this IG skater shit who don't care about the culture and looking to get famous.

Makes me wonder which pro has the highest selling board in skateboarding right now too and how many boards they're churning.

slapshakle

• Rep: 17
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 02:12:21 PM by slapshakle »

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
I muscled through half of this video while I was making dinner last night and Mikey brought up the "message boards" at least 3 separate times. He definitely lurks and is salty about what he sees lol. Not sure why people avoid uttering the name "SLAP" in favor of using "message boards" ambiguously. I guess this place is the "message board that shall not be named" now.

I too was surprised to hear that Primitive doesn't turn huge profits with their endless collabs. Could have fooled me.

notskatetheorist

• Rep: -20
Was surprised to hear P-Rod say Primitive hasn't turned a profit. They release so many collabs to the mainstream that you'd think it was profitable as hell by now. And I'd thought that for the past few years, Primitive has been prolly one of the better board brands out there in terms of mainstream recognition which = more money.

Also shocked to hear that most skaters these days cant hit the minimums on their board sales so they're paid a monthly flat rate of ~$1K which is apparently a lot?!?

ACTUAL pro skaters gotta get paid more. Tired of seeing all this IG skater shit who don't care about the culture and looking to get famous.

Makes me wonder which pro has the highest selling board in skateboarding right now too and how many boards they're churning.

Not turning profit on Primitive is honestly crazy because I feel like I remember my friends buying primitive boards from shops almost a decade ago, how is it still open? Just PROD funding it out of pocket or do they just make enough to get by? Really strange considering the boards were in Zumies and everything.

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
All profits went to the Tesla they’re giving away, smart thinking!

KrisJolson

its simple american math my dudes. spend the money on product, assets, salaries, marketing and you dont have to pay taxes

no "profit" though  ;)

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
its simple american math my dudes. spend the money on product, assets, salaries, marketing and you dont have to pay taxes

no "profit" though  ;)

Compliance officers love this one simple trick!

Listening to these two is mind numbing, Mikey hamfisting in every monetary/business 101 term he’s heard at every turn while prod is waxing about his unrelatable “adult” interests like buggati’s which he doesn’t have?  So you have a car poster, or like a race car bed?

At least they both opened up a little about how both of the business are not exactly “out of the woods” as they put it and that they both think selling is where their payday will come.