Author Topic: psychological attributes in great sk8rs  (Read 2557 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
psychological attributes in great sk8rs
« on: May 13, 2024, 07:17:34 PM »
I've been thinking about how high-level athletes like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and John Daly all share the same sort of high-level/ very specific and focused version of psychopathy; they say to be great you have to be an obsessed villainous psychopath...

It led me to wonder about the psychological attributes that some great skaters have, and what psychological makeup would result in a good skateboarder.

What are the ideal psychological traits that lend themselves to being a great skateboarder? I don't think every good skateboarder is a diagnosable psychopath, but I do think we all share a common determination and mindset. being a psycho helps though.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: psychological attributes in great sk8rs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 07:24:36 PM »
Greco has a hammer, I’m sure that helps with confidence

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 07:27:22 PM »
Loving pain

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 07:31:49 PM »
Dunno if I'm remembering it correctly or not, but, didn't Heath talk about being an adrenaline junkie in his Epicly Laterd?

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 07:34:47 PM »
“Breathe the pressha”

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 09:11:59 PM »
I guess I’d chalk up most skaters to a being mix of determination and self rewarding behavior, with the masochism and stubbornness of what it takes to “get good”

At the end of the day
We all do it for the Jaebs
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 10:06:20 PM »
Being dumb as fuck seems to help.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:33:21 PM »
Reynolds had “the madness”. Obsessed and compulsive. All the superstitions and habits before trying a trick.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 10:42:30 PM »

"Health insurance is a scam by big corpos" mentality
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Shtonk

• Rep: -471
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 11:55:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fact that there are hardly any top tier gnarly pros out of Europe aka social & health insurance part of the world, despite its immense skating demographic, indicates that you might be woefully correct.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 22
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 12:13:06 AM »
I think describing John Daly as an "athlete" might be stretching it a bit  ;)

Ghost Face

• Rep: 115
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 12:19:22 AM »
being a narcissist doesn't hurt.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -46
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 12:37:17 AM »
Substance abuse gotta be up there.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 743
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2024, 12:59:58 AM »
I've been thinking about how high-level athletes like Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and John Daly all share the same sort of high-level/ very specific and focused version of psychopathy; they say to be great you have to be an obsessed villainous psychopath...

It led me to wonder about the psychological attributes that some great skaters have, and what psychological makeup would result in a good skateboarder.

What are the ideal psychological traits that lend themselves to being a great skateboarder? I don't think every good skateboarder is a diagnosable psychopath, but I do think we all share a common determination and mindset. being a psycho helps though.

Danny Way.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 59
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2024, 02:38:44 AM »
Autism.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 02:44:27 AM »
Addictive behaviours

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 03:06:05 AM »

what? can you provide any source for these claims?

CocoSantiagosKitten

• Rep: 2
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 03:25:22 AM »
I have a theory that all great switch skaters experience a small degree of brain damage similar to that of people forced to switch to being right handed as a child in school and the fact that most of the necessary learning takes place in teenagers hinders brain development.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1525
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 03:52:23 AM »
Skateboarding does not revolve around competition and until it does, it will not attract these kind of self-absorbed over achievers that cannot find inner peace. For them, there is no happiness, only the pursuit of the next (greatest of all time) achievement. Narcissism, basically.

These kind of people thrive in sports where their achievements are easily quantifiable - for example how many time they were selected as MVPs.

Moreover, the amount of admiration even the best skateboarder can gain from skateboarding is very small, albeit with some notable exceptions like Tony Hawk or Bam Margera. But they blew up from other mainstream media exposure.

That said, I personally know of a few very good (formerly active) skateboarders that could fit that bill - their self-absorption and over confidence would make it easier for them to try gnarly stuff or just land the trick in fewer tries.

People like that don't push the local scene forward and I hope the olympics don't invite too many of them into skateboarding.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2024, 04:13:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can never claim someone is a psycho outright, but 1 in 100 have symptoms of being psychopaths.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2024, 04:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You can never claim someone is a psycho outright, but 1 in 100 have symptoms of being psychopaths.

again: based on what? multiple claims are made based on no foundation. the hypothesis whether psychopathic "symptoms" (better: traits) may be beneficial for some aspects of life and success is interesting, however, I would like to see who made the connection to these elite sport athlethes and based on what.

a quick (and not sufficient) search indicates that this hypothesis may not be true (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.11.008)

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2024, 04:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

again: based on what? multiple claims are made based on no foundation. the hypothesis whether psychopathic "symptoms" (better: traits) may be beneficial for some aspects of life and success is interesting, however, I would like to see who made the connection to these elite sport athlethes and based on what.

a quick (and not sufficient) search indicates that this hypothesis may not be true (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.11.008)

based on peoples actions

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2024, 05:14:46 AM »
Elaborate, please.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

diplodocus

• Rep: 163
  • long neck
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2024, 05:49:21 AM »
I think one of the traits that separates good skaters from others is facing fear. Not fearless, but knowing something is causing fear but still facing it. That is a skill in itself.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2024, 05:50:56 AM »
Eli Reed is a fascinating case study here.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2024, 05:58:13 AM »
Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and John Daly

Daly is as hellride as it gets

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2024, 06:18:10 AM »
I think one of the traits that separates good skaters from others is facing fear. Not fearless, but knowing something is causing fear but still facing it. That is a skill in itself.

This is a big one. Ability to face failure repeatedly as well.

The “black outs” Reynolds, Jaws, and others have talked about seems to ring true for big hucks, you have to be able to let go of everything in your mind and be empty/not thinking.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • sup dog
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2024, 06:23:50 AM »
I think the Pro-Capable are missing a part of their brain that allows them to prioritize self-preservation.

Pro-Capable because these psychos will either end up Pro level, or they are going to absolutely destroy their body because they aren’t talented enough to not break themselves.

Example: a kid at a skatepark was around for a few weeks and every time I ran into him, he’d say something like “I’ve been here for a few hours already”, and he was STILL skating around jumping down and over shit like nothing. The dude never stopped.

But he was scary to watch skate, because he would huck himself at and down the Hubba and handrail, and QP without any sort of finesse or high level skill.

It was terrifying and I had to look away several times he launched himself down the rail or start, because I was always afraid I’d witness some ankle break or knee dislocation.

Anyways, one day I roll up at 9 in the morning, I said hi, and he said he’d been up since 7 skating.  Oh, and he had blood smeared all over his neck…

“Wtf did you do?”

“Oh, I was just going for the handrail and fell on it with my neck. No big deal”

…as he continued to skate and gracelessly hit the handrail more.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 06:54:31 AM by JM »
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2024, 06:46:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The fact that there are hardly any top tier gnarly pros out of Europe aka social & health insurance part of the world, despite its immense skating demographic, indicates that you might be woefully correct.

Hoping this is sarcasm.

mfweeno

• Rep: 36
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2024, 08:00:12 AM »
I'm sure the bloard is familiar with the "10,000 hour rule", which basically boils down to "it takes a lot of practice to be good at complex tasks."

Skateboarding is not only a complex task, but one that can expose participants to significant degrees of danger and potential harm. The potential harm escalates as you progress into more advanced levels of skating (an obvious example is the difference between a kickflip on flat versus a kickflip down a 10 stair.)

Because of this, the outliers in skating (high level ams and pros) must have a deep obsession with achieving and maintaining high-level skills, an obsession that ultimately outweighs the potential dangers (injury or death) of the practice involved to achieve that level of skill.

To contrast this idea - in my experience, the majority of people who pick up skating end up following two general paths:

1) They quit due to difficulty and/or the above mentioned factors (fear of injury/harm/death).
2) They don't quit, but become complacent/satisfied at a certain skill level (whether consciously or not).
I think the underlying rationale of the second case is that the cost (time, effort, exposure to danger) it takes to attain elite level skill level isn't proportionate to the benefit of having that increased skill set (especially a skill set that can be as fleeting as the ability to do tre flip noseblunts down handrails or backflip over a mega ramp).

This rationale definitely makes sense for skaters that aren't following the contest or sponsorship route - why would you put your body or life on the line if nobody really cares or is rewarding you for it?

However, for the outliers (high level ams and pros), the obsession to perfect their craft and reach their highest potential - even despite the potential dangers - manifests in hours and hours spent on the board. The obsession drives intense focus and practice, which over a long enough period of time (and under the right circumstances) can lead to mastery.

This is why I think that obsession is one of the key attributes that makes great skaters great - they can't not skate because they are obsessed with it, and that obsession can produce incredible skill and determination to fight through trick battles, injuries, and other adversities.

This is also why it's sometimes tragic to see skaters with great potential fade from the limelight or get caught up in bad shit. The obsession either fades or gets directed into darker, more self-destructive ends.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 06:58:21 PM by mfweeno »