Author Topic: SOTY video parts  (Read 1055 times)

dublak2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
SOTY video parts
« on: May 17, 2024, 06:10:55 AM »
A list of all the SOTY winners in easy enough to find, but is there a summation anywhere as to how they won their respective years? I found one for the Transworld SOTY, but not Thrasher. I would like to watch the video parts of past that won the award (I do realize that more than video parts go into the equation, but that's usually what wins it).

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
Re: SOTY video parts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 09:04:58 AM »
In recent years it tends to be a ton. Off the top of my head, Ave won for Propeller and to a lesser extent his stuff in Boys of Summer. BA won for Jump off a Building and his euro contest stuff that year. Koston won for Mouse and winning Tampa, Arto won for Sorry, Apples for Really Sorry, Carroll for FTC-Finally and Goldfish, Ishod won for his Fourstar part in Philly, his Sabotage 3 part and most importantly his Chronicles 2 part, MJ for his Fully Flared Part. Those are the only SOTY runs I vividly remember. I know the main parts for other ones, but can't pinpoint all the parts they dropped.

dublak2

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 02:26:14 PM »
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

I know david gonzalez won in 2012 for Flip's possessed to skate for a contribution off the top of my head.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 02:40:54 PM »
In recent years it tends to be a ton. Off the top of my head, Ave won for Propeller and to a lesser extent his stuff in Boys of Summer. BA won for Jump off a Building and his euro contest stuff that year. Koston won for Mouse and winning Tampa, Arto won for Sorry, Apples for Really Sorry, Carroll for FTC-Finally and Goldfish, Ishod won for his Fourstar part in Philly, his Sabotage 3 part and most importantly his Chronicles 2 part, MJ for his Fully Flared Part. Those are the only SOTY runs I vividly remember. I know the main parts for other ones, but can't pinpoint all the parts they dropped.
Arto actually won in 2001 which was the year before Sorry. He didn't put out a part that year. Always found it interesting that he won the year in between putting out 2 legendary parts (Menikmati was the year prior). Anyone who was around at the time know why he won? I assume magazine coverage and maybe contests? Even Burnett seems to have gotten confused and said he won from Menikmati (maybe you actually used to be able win SOTY from stuff you put out the year prior but I doubt it):
 "I was trying to figure out the timeline and the photos from your SOTY interview are Sorry tricks. You got Skater of the Year based off of Menikmati because Sorry hadn’t come out yet." link: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/the-year-i-got-soty-arto-saari/

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 04:40:30 PM »
I started a spreadsheet to try to track SOTY info (age, sponsors, contest wins, video parts, Thrasher coverage).
If anybody wants to contribute, just add comments to the sheet and I'll update it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12_hBPUp2hvOhTQOwrFjUV5HV2u9aAse43l2tIfkIgEw/edit?usp=sharing

This thread also covers a lot: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119637.0
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 09:36:33 AM »
Daewon's Skatemore part I believe

Johnny Kilroy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 11:45:32 AM »
I take this as an opportunity to post this:
https://youtu.be/YkMiGUbxDrg?si=MbS_ImCxBQZB3Dr1

dublak2

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 07:55:53 AM »
what was the Leo Romero part for 2010? It's hard to believe that Andrew Reynolds part from Stay Gold was passed on.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 08:12:26 AM »
what was the Leo Romero part for 2010? It's hard to believe that Andrew Reynolds part from Stay Gold was passed on.
Stay Gold. Gap to feeble on that tall ass double kinked rail

Pintofguinness

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 08:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I feel like his 50 up that rail was what really solidified him as soty that year - it felt so next level and ground breaking when that dropped

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 918
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 08:56:46 AM »
Leo also had that Brainwash part in 2010 which is awesome.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2024, 08:58:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I feel like his 50 up that rail was what really solidified him as soty that year - it felt so next level and ground breaking when that dropped

Yeah I remember that cover getting a LOT of attention and mindshare - and rightly so.
I don’t think I believed it when I saw it first online.

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -54
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2024, 09:29:00 AM »
It's 2024 my guy just pick your respective soty and hit up skatevideosoundtrack or mix in some Google or some shit you'll figure it out.

Not to be that guy but what is this thread? Shout to the dude with the spreadsheet lmao. Sick no doubt but overkill.

The only saving grace for this thread is the dude highlighting print photos that may have helped. That's realistically the only thing you can't easily Google these days. Video parts aren't on vhs or dvd exclsuively anymore, they all on youtube. The need for a transworld to cover this shit is as dead as print is.

R u just look for someone else's opinion on why those parts warranted soty? Cause I'm not sure what else this thread could accomplish that hasn't already been done here a million times.

Tonyhawk-prostate

• Rep: -125
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 09:51:47 AM »

How bout the modern age where it's all soty parts?
Big fat nollie tre

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2024, 10:22:36 AM »
Kyle Walker "No Other Way" Vans part