Author Topic: Yuto of Olympics - Is he okay?  (Read 9153 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -491
Yuto of Olympics - Is he okay?
« on: May 20, 2024, 03:27:12 PM »
I know we recently had a thread devoted to how much we all love this boy. But the fact that he is very likely not going to make it to Paris to defend his gold medal deserves its own thread. What the hell is going on? I haven't found the time to watch the shanghai mens prelims so I don't know what he did to not make it into semis. But I've seen the semis and there were a couple of people in there that have no right in any dimension to be ahead of Yuto Horigome. Somebody on here said Yuto had confessed to drinking too much in an interview and it messing with his performance. It hasn't really sunk in yet, but Yuto will probably not make it to the Olympics. What kind of effect will that have on him? I'm worried

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Yuto of Olympics - Is he okay?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 03:32:42 PM »
Dime Glory Challenge > Olympics
Copenhagen Pro > Olympics
Tampa Pro > Olympics
Two 12 year olds playing a game of skate even though only one of them knows how to kick flip  > Olympics.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ninj2

• Rep: -108
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 03:34:54 PM »
Yuto woke up

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 03:36:39 PM »
He did hit kind of a safety run in qualifying

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -24
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 03:40:11 PM »
Skateboarding>olympics

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 65
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 03:57:38 PM »
Special Olympics > Olympics

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 05:21:44 PM »
Honestly with Yuto being such a cool cat, I wouldn’t be surprised if he said fuck the Olympics since he already won and knows it wouldn’t even be a competition to him
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2024, 05:35:16 PM »
Dime Glory Challenge > Olympics
Copenhagen Pro > Olympics
Tampa Pro > Olympics
Two 12 year olds playing a game of skate even though only one of them knows how to kick flip  > Olympics.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 05:45:21 PM »
Honestly with Yuto being such a cool cat, I wouldn’t be surprised if he said fuck the Olympics since he already won and knows it wouldn’t even be a competition to him

This is the correct answer, especially considering who the competition is; there  would be more of a change as say Tampa or Dime for someone else to win.

Still, it's the olympics man, I get it, but get that wheaties box Yuto!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2024, 05:49:17 PM »
Not mentioned: previous Olympics was in Japan, so there’s that motivation to do it in your homeland.   I’d personally want to do the whole Olympics things without the COVID restrictions in place, but that’s just me

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 351
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 05:55:29 PM »
He has not been known to be a responsible drinker and I have gotten the impression from some of his presence on social media that he has used his success and acclaim to justify leaning into his drinking even more. I hope he figures his shit out because he’s an incredible and unique talent and it would be a damn shame to see it go to waste as a result of booze, skateboarding has already seen far too many people fuck their careers up as a result of drug and alcohol abuse.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2024, 06:01:29 PM »
He has not been known to be a responsible drinker and I have gotten the impression from some of his presence on social media that he has used his success and acclaim to justify leaning into his drinking even more. I hope he figures his shit out because he’s an incredible and unique talent and it would be a damn shame to see it go to waste as a result of booze, skateboarding has already seen far too many people fuck their careers up as a result of drug and alcohol abuse.
Also, he’s Japanese. You have to drink a lot there before people start suggesting you take it easy. I know from experience.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2024, 09:07:27 PM »
Based on some of his IG captions and how somber he always looks I wonder if he"s going through depression or something. It would explain the drinking and Japan isn't exactly known for good mental health (obviously an understatement). I'm sure he's under intense pressure too.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 09:24:29 PM »
Seems like he hasn’t been doing great in the World Skate competitions compared to his SLS, Tampa, and X Games appearances. Could be that it’s not as chill as the other events and a lot more skaters competing. I didn’t see his run from this competition but I remember seeing him do a pretty tame run and not make semi finals in a previous world skate comp. The Japan team is pretty competitive with a lot of good talent. Maybe he just doesn’t care to do the Olympic circuit this time around. How does the team selection even work? Is it highest ranked or the country gets to pick their own team?

Troubadour26

• Rep: 105
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2024, 09:45:31 PM »
It would honestly be a shame if we don’t get to see him compete this year. I’m kinda confused on how Olympic teams are selected for skateboarding if anyone feels like clueing me in. I watched the recent “Olympic Qualifiers” on YouTube but all countries compete in them? I know that in track & field, selections are pretty confusing. Like in the US, we hold Trials and placing 1-3 in an event doesn’t always mean that you will be sent, and there are standard times but sometimes you can be sent without meeting them based on your world ranking. & in some countries, like Kenya, it’s said that they like for their three competitors in each event to represent a different sponsorship, so many times two athletes from the same brand will not be sent which leads me to believe that certain committees will just choose they want to send for their own reasons…

anyways, the Olympics are cool. I was very stoked Yuto won the first skateboarding Gold medal in his home. I’d love to see him compete again this year.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 09:53:33 PM »
It would honestly be a shame if we don’t get to see him compete this year. I’m kinda confused on how Olympic teams are selected for skateboarding if anyone feels like clueing me in. I watched the recent “Olympic Qualifiers” on YouTube but all countries compete in them? I know that in track & field, selections are pretty confusing. Like in the US, we hold Trials and placing 1-3 in an event doesn’t always mean that you will be sent, and there are standard times but sometimes you can be sent without meeting them based on your world ranking. & in some countries, like Kenya, it’s said that they like for their three competitors in each event to represent a different sponsorship, so many times two athletes from the same brand will not be sent which leads me to believe that certain committees will just choose they want to send for their own reasons…

anyways, the Olympics are cool. I was very stoked Yuto won the first skateboarding Gold medal in his home. I’d love to see him compete again this year.
My (limited) understanding of how qualifying works is it's just the top 20 go but only 3 from every country. So if there's say 6 Japanese skaters in the top 20 then take out the 4,5,6th and replace them with whoever's 21,22,23. And do that for every country.

I dont think it will be like running etc because there's just not thousands of skaters who could meet the standard so the countries will just send whoever qualified the highest.

Troubadour26

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2024, 09:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My (limited) understanding of how qualifying works is it's just the top 20 go but only 3 from every country. So if there's say 6 Japanese skaters in the top 20 then take out the 4,5,6th and replace them with whoever's 21,22,23. And do that for every country.

I dont think it will be like running etc because there's just not thousands of skaters who could meet the standard so the countries will just send whoever qualified the highest.

that makes perfect sense, thank you.
Do you know if the rankings are based on the sole contest that was just held in Shanghai or are their world rankings based on a broader selection of contests?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2024, 10:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

that makes perfect sense, thank you.
Do you know if the rankings are based on the sole contest that was just held in Shanghai or are their world rankings based on a broader selection of contests?
I'm not sure if like xgames and sls count this time around but there's been other world skate events. There was one in Rome and I think Dubai.

Troubadour26

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2024, 10:06:52 PM »
word, I appreciate your help. I dunno why I didn’t google but an exchange with someone else is always cooler anyways, thank you!

Shtonk

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2024, 10:25:14 PM »
Far as I understood, SLS doesn't count anymore and Shanghai counted over three times as much as prior events in terms of quali points, which makes Yuto a distant 6th in the Japanese team with little to no hopes of making it into the top three.

On a competitive front I think Yuto is still Japan's best shot at gold because all the others buckle under finals pressure 90% of the time.

But on the Yuto front I can't believe he'll be as dismissive towards the Olympics as the oldheads in this forum. He must feel like he's letting down a lot of people right now and I'm worried how he'll deal with the shame. Would love to see him go full street skater but I just don't see it (yet) for him. It's kind of mad that everyone is progressing but we all know prime Yuto would still sweep the floor with the entire field.

While we're on the topic of competitors' mental health, Jagger doesn't look exactly stoked to be there, either.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 12:59:19 AM by Shtonk »

Troubadour26

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2024, 10:50:29 PM »
also, Jagger won street & placed 3rd in Park, that’s fucking insane. That honestly makes him one of the most impressive athletes on the planet to me.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 120
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2024, 11:43:59 PM »
I think some of these guys are playing the long game. Shane O and Tommy Fynn came 40th and 41st out of 42 and are still 2nd and 3rd for Oz.

as pointed out Yuto is 6th for Japan and he'll mot probly go all out in the next QS and show why he's there.

I think most thought this round was maybe just a throw away, free trip and a way to get their sponsors some airtime.

Also, who wants to get broke off this close to the "big show".
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -239
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2024, 11:52:34 PM »
also, Jagger won street & placed 3rd in Park, that’s fucking insane. That honestly makes him one of the most impressive athletes on the planet to me.

Jagger Eatin' Butts

Fasttimes

• Rep: -45
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2024, 11:59:41 PM »

That's all positive. Can't you represent your culture and have cred? Good for him.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 120
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2024, 12:09:49 AM »

https://www.worldskate.org/skateboarding/about/regulations/category/554-olympic-qualifying-system.html?download=5989:olympic-qualifier-series-oqs-qualification-system

This is how they do it.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Shtonk

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2024, 01:00:52 AM »

All while looking like he'd rather be out on the country shooting rattlesnakes or whatever. Guy is a phenomenon.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2024, 05:53:40 AM »
I think if he takes first at the final qualifying stop in Budapest he could still squeak his way in.
Not gonna be easy but also that'd be such a Yuto thing to do.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2024, 06:13:34 AM »
Probably just wants to smoke weed when he travels, understandable.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2024, 06:44:48 AM »
The only really important Olympic gold medal in skateboarding he’s already got it. The first dude makes history. Everyone after is just kind of a historical footnote.

If he competes again, cool. If not then, cool.

I’d rather see him have a legit banner year (not a calculated run of timed release parts) and take SOTY so he can hang his medal around that statue.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2024, 09:24:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All while looking like he'd rather be out on the country shooting rattlesnakes or whatever. Guy is a phenomenon.

Helps when your dad owns a skate school that trains mega ramp skaters - youngest ever guy to compete in mega ramp at 12 years old
i imagine in arizona they must have a really nice air conditioned TF these days

Last Olympics you could tell Jagger was SUPER fucking bummed to not make for park because he seems actually better at park (if you ask me the guys who skate park have a fuck ton more talent than the guys skating street... maybe just cause I am terrified of park  ;D) He was out qualified by Zion i believe who then went on to do jack shit in the olympics. Jagger placed 2nd in street i think. he would have medalled in both for sure which is a bummer he missed out on doing that the first year but I am fairly confident he will medal in both this year. This will probably get increasingly more difficult as time passes and will could possibly never happen again.