Author Topic: Toy Machine - Real Life Sucks  (Read 9657 times)

chudzinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Toy Machine - Real Life Sucks
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024, 03:26:40 PM »
I also liked the Myles part the most. The last two tricks were crazy.

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2024, 03:37:20 PM »
It's been a while since I enjoyed a Toy Machine video. Skating was more creative than I expected without being gimmicky. Braden obviously deserved last part - that kickflip gap to crook on the double set was fucking perfect.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2024, 07:05:06 PM »
Is it me or does Georgia kinda look facially like if Kim Deal and Black Francis had a kid

Not sure that was a going pro part (Shiloh felt like she was given more of the “star” edit), but it was a definite great part without any qualifiers.   Felt like it would have fit any era
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 07:12:17 PM by Atiba Applebum »

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2024, 07:14:49 PM »
I was big on Toy growing up, so, i'm glad the video was enjoyable.  Hoban is crazy. Really stoked that Georgia Martin got to show what she could do.   

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 225
  • often correct
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2024, 07:27:05 PM »
had really low expectations for this and was pleasantly surprised, enjoyed it overall and ran a few parts back almost immediately.

jeremy leabres' pivot from traditional rail/gap skating into everything he's doing now is pretty seamless. how the fuck do you wallie bs noseblunt a hubba?

they had to hide CJ collins in an attic somewhere for five years until he developed style and they hoped everyone forgot about him in the meantime

daniel lutheran's still hanging on, huh? the last real clinger-on from the good and evil/brainwash era, can't wait until toy is fully past that

georgia martin rips, skates fast and does everything proper, i'm a fan

lol @ the blake carpenter diss

not my favorite myles willard footage but enjoyed it nonetheless, the last few tricks were really cool. agree that LRAB should make it official, although he's probably not "cool" enough

feel like i've slept hard on axel because this part (and his recent vans part) had a lot of interesting approaches without being gimmicky. this is also the only neutral milk hotel song i ever want to hear in a video

i know time changes everything, but its crazy to see one of the jockiest skaters ever in a toy machine video after they spent 20 years railing against "raw jocks" in everything they did. another brilliant sinclair decision

braden hoban... obviously a next level talent, his footage was good, just kinda felt like his part was over as it was beginning

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2024, 07:32:01 PM »
I loved this. Georgia & Jeremy and Brian Eno outro were my highlights

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2024, 07:52:25 PM »
What’s up with the random goth girl smoking a cigarette . Templeton needs to chill with the young girl thing it’s getting pretty creepy .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2024, 08:21:56 PM »
What’s up with the random goth girl smoking a cigarette . Templeton needs to chill with the young girl thing it’s getting pretty creepy .

Guarantee he had zero to do with that.   

ToFakie

• Rep: 6
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2024, 08:30:50 PM »

I think I saw on IG that the girl is Myle’s girlfriend or something along those lines

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 84
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2024, 08:57:23 PM »
that rail against the wall that Braden back tailed is at the Towson Courthouse outside of Baltimore, used to skate there a lot when we were kids and we would always fantasize about someone skating it. think before this the only thing i’ve really seen is a front 50-50 on it. back tail is unfathomable especially if you’ve seen that thing in person, there is absolutely no space between the rail and the wall. so fucked

lurkluke

• Rep: 232
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2024, 08:59:32 PM »
All of this was great. I enjoyed it all.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2024, 09:15:54 PM »
Great video. I was somehow under the impression Leabres was done due to an injury? Glad to see how wrong I was, he had my favourite part. Myles and Axel very tasty. Georgia and Shiloh came through, can’t wait to see what they will be doing a couple of years down the road. Hoban also delivered with some truly crazy hammers, the first 50 and the double kink boardslide looked terrifying but still looked easy for him.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2024, 10:12:46 PM »
That was sick. I missed the in person premiere at the local last night.

I'd never seen or heard of Terrill before, but that heelflip fs 50-50 on the handrail was incredibly well done.

I try pretty hard to not be ultra-negative on individuals on here - but one person I have been vocal of my disgust in (as a skateboarder, seems like a nice person) is Cordano, but you can't really say shit about the tricks he did in this video. Just never do a nollie 270 shuv boardslide again please sir!

Cool to see a mainstream team have more than a token female. All the girls were ripping!

Feel bad for forgetting his name so quickly after seeing it, but Lincoln Ueda's son's heelflip over the channel was beautiful too!

Great video.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2024, 11:27:16 PM »
The dis at Blake carpenter was amazing wow
did anyone else feel like it was also a diss at trapasso/life extension? the ‘fe’ was the same font as ‘le’. jeremy had the best part in my opinion, hoban did hoban things. myles was sick.

edit : also forgot to mention that i liked how the used the dolls in the intro, reminded me of jump off a building. just remembered that the restricted rating was done in the beginning of heavy metal as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 01:26:14 AM by shouldn't »

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -42
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2024, 11:56:33 PM »
For anyone asking who Georgia Martin is? Now they know.
Impressive debut with a pro board thrown into the mix.

Might to re-watch but Miles Willard felt like he could have had last part during the early 00s era with all the hippies and bible bashers on the squad.

Hobban's got a few tricks and spots in there that are on a nother level.

I hadn't noticed Leabres since that one emerica video but his opening part is pretty rad.

Buttworm

• Rep: 48
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2024, 05:14:16 AM »
Amazing video😎
Who knew Jezza Leabres was that good

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2024, 07:17:17 AM »
Wow, just finished watching, I have lots of thoughts

Video of the year. Everyone had great parts.

I forget about Jeremy Leabres/thought he was done, but goddamn he came through with a great part. Front blunt pop out on the bump to rail was insane.

Most women-represented brand in skating other than like Meow/There or the big shoe companies. Hadn't heard of the other two girls until this but they both killed it. Georgia came through with a full part with great clips. I was really impressed with all three of them and it gets me stoked to see more women ripping that hard, skating rails and big shit. Truly progressing women's skating.

Myle's part was dope and Braden Hoban's part was psycho. I'll definitely be rewatching.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 541
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2024, 08:18:29 AM »
Loved Georgia’s part, but still think turning pro off one part is premature unless it’s on some PJ shit.  Hasn’t Susie been on for a few years now?  She been injured or just not producing?  Seems odd that she got leapfrogged for a board.

Leo is timeless, Leabres is killing it.. CJ and Cordano seem like necessary evils to keep Toy afloat, but I guess it beats them folding.  Wasn’t that hyped on Myles’ stuff considering what a tech gnar switch god he was in his other recent parts. 

Braden had some insane shit, so maybe it was just the editing that held it back.. but it still feels like he’s yet to put out his defining part.  Not that you really need one in this day and age.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2024, 08:27:31 AM »
had really low expectations for this and was pleasantly surprised, enjoyed it overall and ran a few parts back almost immediately.

jeremy leabres' pivot from traditional rail/gap skating into everything he's doing now is pretty seamless. how the fuck do you wallie bs noseblunt a hubba?

they had to hide CJ collins in an attic somewhere for five years until he developed style and they hoped everyone forgot about him in the meantime

daniel lutheran's still hanging on, huh? the last real clinger-on from the good and evil/brainwash era, can't wait until toy is fully past that

not my favorite myles willard footage but enjoyed it nonetheless, the last few tricks were really cool. agree that LRAB should make it official, although he's probably not "cool" enough

feel like i've slept hard on axel because this part (and his recent vans part) had a lot of interesting approaches without being gimmicky. this is also the only neutral milk hotel song i ever want to hear in a video

i know time changes everything, but its crazy to see one of the jockiest skaters ever in a toy machine video after they spent 20 years railing against "raw jocks" in everything they did. another brilliant sinclair decision

braden hoban... obviously a next level talent, his footage was good, just kinda felt like his part was over as it was beginning

Where did you get the impression that Hoban is jocky at all?  Seems like a chill dude who absolutely loves skating and doing insane shit while his body can do it. Traveling the country in a van to skate as many rails and insane spots as possible makes him a jock? Maybe it's because I've been reading his Thrasher interview while pooping the past couple days, but to put such a label on him seems ignorant.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 225
  • often correct
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2024, 08:35:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where did you get the impression that Hoban is jocky at all?  Seems like a chill dude who absolutely loves skating and doing insane shit while his body can do it. Traveling the country in a van to skate as many rails and insane spots as possible makes him a jock? Maybe it's because I've been reading his Thrasher interview while pooping the past couple days, but to put such a label on him seems ignorant.
i'm talking about cordano russell here, whose dream in skateboarding is to "beat nyjah huston." i don't think braden hoban is a jock (he fits modern toy machine to a T)

edit: cordano is a talented skateboarder and his tricks were good. i just don't think toy machine is the place for him. he should just be on disorder or something
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 09:53:48 AM by Ignatius J Reilly »

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2024, 08:40:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure the “jocky” comment was regarding Cordano (football player physique, gym fits). I get slightly “jock” vibes from him too but still appreciate what he brings to the table.

(EDIT - see above comment, that remark was about Cordano)

I wouldn’t consider Braden a jock either, even despite his presence in SLS and other contests. He evokes more of the classic Tum Yeto skater to me personally.

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2024, 08:51:17 AM »
That was cool

Anyone know what the deal is with who's making Toy boards these days? I've never skated one, and that video got me stoked to try one of the classic graphics. The woodshop thread was a bit confusing on whats actually going on.
(Cool Trick GIF)

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2024, 09:08:25 AM »
I kinda like Cordano.

As in it’s impressive to watch someone who feels like an athlete first, skater second.

I wouldn’t like all of skating to be that way, but a handful here or there is interesting.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 32
  • I think I'm dumb, or maybe just happy...
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2024, 09:40:44 AM »
At least his trick selection is different and not the standard contest fare

ReTired

• Rep: -2
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2024, 09:42:57 AM »
Just when I was kinda forgetting Toy still exists, they gotta put something like this out and make me believe all over again.

I’ll say this, there is no energy leak in Leabres’ skating.

Loved the whole thing, made my night.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2024, 10:00:32 AM »
That was cool

Anyone know what the deal is with who's making Toy boards these days? I've never skated one, and that video got me stoked to try one of the classic graphics. The woodshop thread was a bit confusing on whats actually going on.
I got a Hoban deck a couple months ago, was expecting it to be BBS based on the dims & woodshop thread, but there was a PS serial # lasered under the barcode sticker

Gabriel

• Rep: 12
    • website avatar image
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2024, 10:31:50 AM »
really glad that they managed to keep the whole toy machine vibe in a post-ed video

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2024, 10:36:57 AM »
Jerry should poach Myles and give him a pay raise while he’s at it.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2024, 10:48:43 AM »
Georgia Martin is super sick

waffle

• Rep: 128
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2024, 11:05:05 AM »
Loved this video. Felt very classic toy.

I think Cordanno is sick— big ass dude with a unique, but crazy difficult, trick selection. People would love that dude if he wore baggies instead of nyjah fits.

Really cool to see Geoff on toy, even if he’s mega corny these days. “Rowley” just looks good in the toy font.

Lots of good bs noseblunts in this: Myles gap to bs noseblunt, leabre with the wallie-ins, Braden of course.

Craziest trick was the heel flip fs-5050.