Author Topic: The *New* Set-up Thread  (Read 40567 times)

S-Town Holla!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
  • Malto!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The *New* Set-up Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »
Expand Quote
its all dependent on the set up..if you skate a huge park everyday and you 49's you might be fucked. but if your street board has 60's you will be likewise fucked.
[close]
i had sixties for street at one point, not as bad as you would think

damn...what size deck? and could you even skate a ledge right?
R.I.P Travis "Panama" Kresge

Cashcrate, make some easy money

fuckingvegan

« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »
It is funny how people think you can't skate ledges with bigger wheels, go watch some of the east coast videos from the mid 90's most of the guys where skating wheels between 56-60mm. Your board is a little heavier, but once you get use to it, it really isn't that big of a deal.

S-Town Holla!

• SLAP Pal
  • Malto!
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »
yea thats prolly how it is i wouldn't know biggest wheels i ever skated 53 mm. I think its just because dudes like P.J and P-Rod skate really small wheels...in W.H.L in some of P.J's lines his wheels look like circa-1993 40's.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
yea thats prolly how it is i wouldn't know biggest wheels i ever skated 53 mm. I think its just because dudes like P.J and P-Rod skate really small wheels...in W.H.L in some of P.J's lines his wheels look like circa-1993 40's.

I skated the really small wheels in the early 90's because none of the places where I lived stoked anything over 45mm and to be honest I thought it sucked, you go slower, ever little crack slows you down and you almost always get flatspots when skating ledges. If you have smooth ground it is a different thing. I like 56-57mm been skating those sizes for the last 4 years.

And don't forget the pros get free stuff so they might only skate wheels for a couple of days.

roulette

« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2006, 12:21:26 PM »
i remember when thrill of it all/welcome to hell came out, i was always riding 57 58, on a 7.625 board too

S-Town Holla!

• SLAP Pal
  • Malto!
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »
problem for me with big wheels/independents is that i can't pop as well cuz its heavy as fuck for me. i only fucking like 110.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2006, 12:23:22 PM »
i remember when thrill of it all/welcome to hell came out, i was always riding 57 58, on a 7.625 board too
I remember having a 7 7/8 Paulo Diaz board with 58mm wheels. And I rode many Barley Elements that where 8" with big wheels for years (had like 4 or 5 in a row).

roulette

« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »
good times, mine were usually blind/flip  had a few gideons and a bunch of mushroom pennys

HenryChinaski

• Rep: 28
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
It is funny how people think you can't skate ledges with bigger wheels, go watch some of the east coast videos from the mid 90's most of the guys where skating wheels between 56-60mm. Your board is a little heavier, but once you get use to it, it really isn't that big of a deal.
Wheel size is all just personal preference of course, but I honestly don’t know how those guys rode 60mm wheels on street. I’m from the East Coast (PA), and skated all through the 90’s. I used to always ride like 52 or 53 mm wheels then. I remember getting 54mm and my board feeling like a heavy tank to me. I guess it is just mental, because I rode 33x10 inch boards with big Indys and 60mm wheels when I first started in the 80’s. But then again, I was doing boneless and acid drops back then, not tre flips and nollie heels. It was crazy to see popular wheel sizes drop down from that to the low 40mm’s in the early 90’s. I don’t know what we were thinking then. I prefer 50 or 51mm wheels now, but all I skate is street, so once again it all depends on terrain and personal preference. A set that size usually lasts me for two decks, unless I’m skating a lot of hills. I probably should be riding a little bigger wheel here though, the ground is even rougher then it is any where back in PA. (And that’s rough!)  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:40:52 PM by HenryChinaski »
"You don't know what I'm all about like killing cops and reading Kerouac."

fuckingvegan

« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wheel size is all just personal preference of course, but I honestly don’t know how those guys rode 60mm wheels on street. I’m from the East Coast (PA), and skated all through the 90’s. I used to always ride like 52 or 53 mm wheels then. I remember getting 54mm and my board feeling like a heavy tank to me. I guess it is just mental, because I rode 33x10 inch boards with big Indys and 60mm wheels when I first started in the 80’s. But then again, I was doing boneless and acid acid drops back then, not tre flips and nollie heels. It was crazy to see popular wheel sizes drop down from that to the low 40mm’s in the early 90’s. I don’t know what we were thinking then. I prefer 50 or 51mm wheels now, but all I skate is street, so once again it all depends on terrain and personal preference. A set that size usually lasts me for two decks, unless I’m skating a lot of hills. I probably should be riding a little bigger wheel here though, the ground is even rougher then it is any where back in PA. (And that’s rough!)  

Where do you live now? And yeah it is all personal, my best friend has ridden 60mm Spitfire Classics for like 10 years and he has one of the best tre flips out of anyone I know.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2006, 12:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Wheel size is all just personal preference of course, but I honestly don’t know how those guys rode 60mm wheels on street. I’m from the East Coast (PA), and skated all through the 90’s. I used to always ride like 52 or 53 mm wheels then. I remember getting 54mm and my board feeling like a heavy tank to me. I guess it is just mental, because I rode 33x10 inch boards with big Indys and 60mm wheels when I first started in the 80’s. But then again, I was doing boneless and acid acid drops back then, not tre flips and nollie heels. It was crazy to see popular wheel sizes drop down from that to the low 40mm’s in the early 90’s. I don’t know what we were thinking then. I prefer 50 or 51mm wheels now, but all I skate is street, so once again it all depends on terrain and personal preference. A set that size usually lasts me for two decks, unless I’m skating a lot of hills. I probably should be riding a little bigger wheel here though, the ground is even rougher then it is any where back in PA. (And that’s rough!) 
[close]

Where do you live now? And yeah it is all personal, my best friend has ridden 60mm Spitfire Classics for like 10 years and he has one of the best tre flips out of anyone I know.
On flat right? Now take that beast over a decent set and will see.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Right now I am living on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. There is only one smooth road on this whole island but luckily it is right in front of my place. The rest of the “roads” here look like the surface of the moon, you could get lost in the huge craters. It’s pretty gnarly. I am the only skater on the Island that I know of. Living here isn’t great for skating, but it definitely has other perks. This is only a temporary stop, I’ll be here for about one more year until my girl finishes veterinarian school, then it’s back to the states.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
At least you have one road to skate on right.

S-Town Holla!

• SLAP Pal
  • Malto!
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2006, 12:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Right now I am living on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. There is only one smooth road on this whole island but luckily it is right in front of my place. The rest of the “roads” here look like the surface of the moon, you could get lost in the huge craters. It’s pretty gnarly. I am the only skater on the Island that I know of. Living here isn’t great for skating, but it definitely has other perks. This is only a temporary stop, I’ll be here for about one more year until my girl finishes veterinarian school, then it’s back to the states.

where to back in the states?

HenryChinaski

« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2006, 12:58:36 PM »
At least you have one road to skate on right.
Yeah, I’m not complaining. I have this one road and a little waxed curb, I have fun. Plus on the other side of the road is the beautiful crystal blue Caribbean ocean, it’s pretty spectacular. Check it out, I live right across the street from this:
http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/caribbeanresorts/ss/Stkittsmarriott.htm

HenryChinaski

« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

It depends on at what university my girl gets accepted to do her year long vet residency. Right now her first two choices are either the University of Oregon, or NC State. I am hoping for Oregon. After that year it will be back to Philly I think, where hopefully they will have that new street plaza type park finished. Where are you located?

S-Town Holla!

• SLAP Pal
  • Malto!
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2006, 01:06:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
It depends on at what university my girl gets accepted to do her year long vet residency. Right now her first two choices are either the University of Oregon, or NC State. I am hoping for Oregon. After that year it will be back to Philly I think, where hopefully they will have that new street plaza type park finished. Where are you located?

sadly to say...kansas...soon to cali tho. this summer i'm gonna crash on my buddie's couch out there in santa cruz. If i get a job i will probably be there for pretty much but i have to come back to go to school which really sucks.

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2006, 01:12:17 PM »

i forget what bearings i have in there
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

sadly to say...kansas...soon to cali tho. this summer i'm gonna crash on my buddie's couch out there in santa cruz. If i get a job i will probably be there for pretty much but i have to come back to go to school which really sucks.
Oh, that sucks bro, ha ha. That is what I am afraid of, that my girl is going to get assigned to a Midwest school, and I will have to live there for even a year. Yeah, go to Cali, you’ll have fun skating there. I have never been to Santa Cruz, but I lived in LA, and the San Diego around 93, 94. Then after you finish school you can move any where you want!

HenryChinaski

« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »

That deck is so sick! Hey- didn’t you used to be Slangin Rocks? If so I miss your Kenny Anderson backside Tailslide avatar. That shit used to make me want to go skate every time I saw it. So smooth.

clientele.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • SLAP
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2006, 01:22:49 PM »
no he didn't. it just says slangin rocks under his avatar.

Expand Quote

[close]
That deck is so sick! Hey- didn’t you used to be Slangin Rocks? If so I miss your Kenny Anderson backside Tailslide avatar. That shit used to make me want to go skate every time I saw it. So smooth.

SLAP is for the haters.

Meth and Hookers

• caveman?
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2006, 01:25:41 PM »
hey now, lets keep it classy. yes i was formerly known as slangin rocks. funny you should mention that avatar. i was at that spot the other day and some random local rolls up and kickflip back nosegrinds the whole thing. perfectly. meanwhile, i could barely get fifty fiftys around the kink. haha

HenryChinaski

« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »

"no he didn't. it just says slangin rocks under his avatar."

Yeah, I see it captain obvious, thanks. I was wondering who was going to waste a useless post pointing it out. Great job.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »
hey now, lets keep it classy. yes i was formerly known as slangin rocks. funny you should mention that avatar. i was at that spot the other day and some random local rolls up and kickflip back nosegrinds the whole thing. perfectly. meanwhile, i could barely get fifty fiftys around the kink. haha
That is sick man! Where is that spot, LA? How are those hemp ply Habitat decks by the way, I haven't tried one yet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 01:35:03 PM by HenryChinaski »

Meth and Hookers

• caveman?
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2006, 01:40:10 PM »
the deck is perfect. great shape, size, concave, pop everything. i think i'm gonna stick with habitats for awhile. you should definetly try one.

Pontoon_Boat

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2006, 01:50:40 PM »

clientele.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • SLAP
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »

SLAP is for the haters.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
How witty.

Meth and Hookers

• caveman?
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2006, 02:23:42 PM »
haha pontoon

Mizzork

« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2006, 03:18:11 PM »
One of the best nollie heels to fakie I've ever done was at Aala Park in Honolulu with a 8.5" board with 60mm wheels and indys circa 1995-96.  Shit was seriously almost level with the lip of the oververt when I felt the board smack my feet because of the momentum from the weight of the board (I learned nollie nosemanuals with this same setup).  I've also skated the Upland park full pipe with 7.5" board with 51mm Gold Wheels which were big enough to get me a little over 9 o'clock.  Real men just skate instead of masturbating to the number on their wheels when they're new.  Right now, my setups are:

Bowl:
8.25" Black Label Hosoi
139 Independents black and red
Rock'n Ron's Ceramic Rocket Bearings
58mm Bones SPF
Deathbox rails

Park:
8" Habitat Ed Selego Hemply (shit won't die)
139 Independents black
Powell Swiss Six Balls
56mm Hubba Wheels
Dooks risers

Street:
7.6 Antihero Cardiel
145mm Thunder high black
Rock'n Ron's Rocket Bearings
54mm Mini-logo wheels
(I wrote Charles Bukowski's epitaph on the grip in purple "Don't Try.")