Author Topic: skating alone  (Read 5489 times)

Edward Penishands

Re: skating alone
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 05:34:55 PM »
If you get bored skateboarding by yourself, you don't love skateboarding, you love skateboarding with your friends. Being that most of my friends have jobs/go to school, i skate by myself probably 20 hours a week. Its better to skate by yourself, because its easier to focus. I learn way more tricks skating by myself.

i gotta agree with that last part, i'm way more willing to dork around with tricks when i'm by myself, which is why most of the time i learn new tricks with no one around.  but on that first part, i definatly skate harder around people/friends with a good vibe.  when everyone can feed off of each other, it's a great way to motivate yourself.

RockForLight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »
I love skating by myself and do it pretty much everyday, but there isn't anything like skating with other people you are down with and feeding off each others stoke. I always try harder tricks when I'm skating with people that are better than me and teaching tricks to kids that want to learn is one of the more rewarding parts of skating to me. I love to skate regardless.

bothersome

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
As you get older, skating alone becomes common place.
Peoples schedules always change as do priorities.
Girls,kids,jobs,ego's,drugs do there fair share to disassemble a crew.
After too many wasted days and sitting around for someone to get ready I just said fuck it.
I'm not 14 with no job or responsibilities. I have a limited time window to get out and skate so either you're ready to go or I'm out.I realize this sounds assholish but it isn't half as bad as the people who needlessly waste other peoples time because they're lazy and unmotivated.
I also like skating with headphones, feels like I can block everything out and do tricks without concentrating on things that don't matter. And I feel like a dick doing it with friends around. I have driven to a park where noone knows me so I can just zone out and be antisocial. I used to head downtown and just bomb around skating all these weird little curbs and bumps because im sure my friends would be bored of it instantly. 
But nothing beats a good day of skating with the close friends, laughing and dorking. Just enjoying the time. We have a really tight knit group and I can't think of a bad session ever, maybe some semi lame moments but even if it's some weird crappy spot or it's the battle with filming something theres always someone to play shove it skate with or a random hole in the wall to pitch some  rock into or whatever else we can do to pass the time. I wouldn't trade that time for anything, as they are some of the best memories in my life.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
I'm not 14 with no job or responsibilities. I have a limited time window to get out and skate so either you're ready to go or I'm out.

I agree...the few hours a week that I have in which to skate are so valuable, I don't even think about skating alone vs. with friends/locals--I'm just glad to be able to skate, period. However, when there's no one else around I feel more comfortable working on "basic" transition stuff that I never learned because I never really skated transition.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 07:10:58 PM »
i love skatin with my homies, but i gotta have my bi-weekly manual pad solo sesh in front of this one doctors office. i learn alot right then just cruising and goofing around trying wierd ass combos and making them work. i got into that zone of only trying shit when friends were there just cause they always got me stoked on shit and throwing ideas around and whatnot, but finally got my mental shit together and just skate hard and charge 24/7. even at the manny pad. haha.
:) I must have been tripping last night

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »
The best times I've ever had skateboarding have been alone. I love meeting new people and skating with friends and everything but, nothing beats skating alone. NYC or Philly, between midnight and dawn, sometimes feels like you're on a different planet.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
The best times I've ever had skateboarding have been alone. I love meeting new people and skating with friends and everything but, nothing beats skating alone. NYC or Philly, between midnight and dawn, sometimes feels like you're on a different planet.
agree on that NYC shit, never done Philly late night but could see it...
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1994
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 02:45:19 AM »
After too many wasted days and sitting around for someone to get ready I just said fuck it.
I'm not 14 with no job or responsibilities. I have a limited time window to get out and skate so either you're ready to go or I'm out.I realize this sounds assholish but it isn't half as bad as the people who needlessly waste other peoples time because they're lazy and unmotivated.

But nothing beats a good day of skating with the close friends, laughing and dorking. Just enjoying the time. We have a really tight knit group and I can't think of a bad session ever, maybe some semi lame moments but even if it's some weird crappy spot or it's the battle with filming something theres always someone to play shove it skate with or a random hole in the wall to pitch some  rock into or whatever else we can do to pass the time. I wouldn't trade that time for anything, as they are some of the best memories in my life.

hit the nail right on the head....  there were a couple of shitty sessions with my buddies but it was mostly great times....  having your friends there with you after you battle a trick down and finally land it after countless bails and slams....  \

my friends used to bitch at me alot when i could skate during the week cos i was working full time...  a full time job really takes a lot away from skating....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Universal Remonster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
even if there are a group of people im still skating alone.
[close]

...deep.
haha

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »
i never call somebody here. it's just coming home from work, eat something, taking the tram, walk on this little hill and bomb it. then hit up to the local spot where usually somebody skates.

best thing was  last summer. i skated some flat and a manual pad at 10 pm by myself. then i decided to grab a beer in downtown and met a couple of people who wanted to go to a party ... everybody had bikes except of me ... it was one of the best nights of my life. just pushing around as fast as i can, empty streets everywhere.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
I like skateing with my regular crew of bros they're fun and the vibe is always positive.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »
I always thought this was a perfect take on skating alone.  A big empty parking lot really late at night by yourself is one of the simple pleasures in life.

http://www.bendpress.com/wrenchpilot/wrench02a.html
http://www.bendpress.com/wrenchpilot/wrench02b.html

^^^^^^^^
Edit: They wouldn't post, but look at em.

Reesrevo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:15 AM »
I skate with either one guy who I originally met through skating 14 years ago. He and a couple other locals got me skating again about 5 years ago when I bumped into them in a club. We also (with or without each other, but more likely me) regularly hookup for sessions with the local crew.

I'm not into skating alone, one time back when I had started skating again I went off and investigated a ramp on my own I fucked myself up bad, was barely able to drive home had to have the day after off work. I have skated a manny pad, kerb type stuff on my own, but I get tired out as there's no line-up to regulate how much I skate.

Love a good mission, love skating different parks and spots and I guess I love the social part too. Variety under my wheels and for conversation while having a breather.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:36:50 AM by Reesrevo »

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »
I end up skating alone everyday almost.

I work an 8-4 and all my friends work part time jobs that keep them working until 10 or 11.

Half the time these kids in 6th/7th grade show up and try to run a train on my box outside my apartment, but they can barely ollie...it makes it hard to get hyped sometimes.

but aside from that, any time with friends ends up being the illest, and any time alone is more time on the board so it keeps me sane.

i definitely feel jaded when/if i go to a park though. it sucks. i'm 20 years old and i feel like the old dude at the park.
p-shuvs and v-flips

Reesrevo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »
haha i'm over 30.. it doesnt matter.. but i guess i'm there with guys my age and some of the younger local guys too

loophole

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
got some time alone in a nearby carpark and practiced bs 180s and other such trixxs over a box. re-learned tres, and finally got down to practicing some switch tricks. at switch i fail miserably, because i hate fucking up on switch ollies with friends around. so i never get down to doing them.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
I do most of my skating alone, and am cool with it for the most part.

Sometimes it sucks, like when you half ass out of a trick and nobody's there to call you out on it, or when drunk jocks start to fuck with you.  All in all though, I enjoy just cruising the streets myself and seeing where my board takes me.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
theres plus's and minus's to it as with everything else in life.
i like the bro sessions because its usually morefun but i like solo session when i just don't want to be bothered and want to learna  new trick. 

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »
i skate by myself all the time, most of the people i used to skate with moved somewhere else or quit, and the people that skate around town, see skateboarding in a different way, so i can't relate to them, they skate too slow, and hate bombing hills, i love bombing hills and i skate as fast as i can, they are into hip hop and dress in xxxxxxxxl shirts and size 50 jeans and nikes while im into punk and metal and dress in dickies and trucker hats and vans, nothing in common, so i rather skate by myself.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »
i skate by myself all the time, most of the people i used to skate with moved somewhere else or quit, and the people that skate around town, see skateboarding in a different way, so i can't relate to them, they skate too slow, and hate bombing hills, i love bombing hills and i skate as fast as i can, they are into hip hop and dress in xxxxxxxxl shirts and size 50 jeans and nikes while im into punk and metal and dress in dickies and trucker hats and vans, nothing in common, so i rather skate by myself.

You fucking suck.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You fucking suck.

you wouldn't understand, i just rather skate by myself, it's like trying to be friends with people you have nothing in common.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »
No one understands how dark my heart is.  They smile at me but inside I know they will never feel my pain.  When the autumn moon wanes I shall cast a pox upon all that cross my path and I shall roam the earth for eternity like a lone wolf, a master unto himself.   In my trucker hat.

Say Hi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
I've been skating alone 2 years ago for about 1 year. It was the time were i learned almost every trick i do now constantly. After that I just went to the park over and over again and met people and skated with them. These are the same people I skate with everytime I go out skating. They are all really nice people and I like to skate with them and theres always a good vibe. They are pretty much the only people I hang out with except from being in school. But I've been thinking about the people around skateboarding here and I get that feeling lately that I don't like to skate with them as much as I used to. Maybe it's because they are all at least 5 years older than me. Sometimes I think it would be cool to have some people at my age to skate with, but when I look at some kids at my age they can't even kickflip or are the average drunk/smoke/destroying kinda type. I know this is lame but I just wanted to share that with someone..

LENNIEKIRKSBIBLE

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I also like skating with headphones, feels like I can block everything out and do tricks without concentrating on things that don't matter. And I feel like a dick doing it with friends around. I have driven to a park where noone knows me so I can just zone out and be antisocial. I used to head downtown and just bomb around skating all these weird little curbs and bumps because im sure my friends would be bored of it instantly. 

Yep. Apart from the headphones thing. Can't skate with other sounds coming into my head...

I've been skating solo since I moved to NY for the most part. It started from not knowing anyone, and really not meeting anyone from skating tompkins or around who I really got along with and felt I could just cruise around spots and have fun with. I'm the spot searching random shit kind of guy. Mostly because I can't skate woth a shit, so I just like cruising around looking for interesting spots, and just finding fun shit the whittle the afternoon away on. Most people aren't down for that, or aren't down for some dude tagging along no complying left and right and maybe hitting up a boardslide or two... that said, after a while it just became the norm, and so these days skating alone is actually more appealing than meeting up with some random dudes. I love it for all the reasons stated in this thread so far, and quite a few more. I'll skate with a couple different people here and there, but I usually end up feeling bad for taking them to non-existent spots, that I'm happy enough just cruising through on the way to someplace else, or sitting around while they try and skate something I can't.

Maybe it's just a moving to a new place thing. I don't know. I miss skating with my friends back home, but even then there's only a handful of people I really enjoy skating with (DEGAMETH!), the rest are just buddies who happen to skate. Does that make sense? I've had some of the best times of my life skating with friends, but these days the instant gratification of just getting your board and skating something somewhere is too hard to turn down.

The only alternative would be to try really hard to make some more friends, and I'm not really THAT GUY. I'm happy to go skating, if someone wants to come along then that's rad, if not, I'm still stoked.

Now that spring is here, NY late night solo missions are mandatory. The Season starts this week. Either tonight or tomorrow night. A new board and some empty dimly lit streets...

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »
No one understands how dark my heart is.  They smile at me but inside I know they will never feel my pain.  When the autumn moon wanes I shall cast a pox upon all that cross my path and I shall roam the earth for eternity like a lone wolf, a master unto himself.   In my trucker hat.

?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...deep.

I'm working on correcting that if I'm with people now, I spent the last couple of years on solo sessions so now I'm a bit skatesocially regular.

LENNIEKIRKSBIBLE

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

...deep.
[close]

I'm working on correcting that if I'm with people now, I spent the last couple of years on solo sessions so now I'm a bit skatesocially regular.

I've forgotten how to talk to people. It's actually awesome.

Teacup

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »

If all you wana do is bomb hills and ride then grab yourself one of these

Not hating on bombing hills, but most dudes also wana take time to learn and progress with their tricks. As far as how they dress goes... why the fuck does that matter? If there was some gangster ass thugs who skated, but were still chill dudes, I'd be glad to skate with them. Although, judging dudes based on how the dress is classic slap mentality.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
All this talk of skating alone has me hyped, I'm goin out solo. everyones out skating, so hopefully I'll run into them...or hopefully not.  Fuck I love the spring....
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If all you wana do is bomb hills and ride then grab yourself one of these

Not hating on bombing hills, but most dudes also wana take time to learn and progress with their tricks. As far as how they dress goes... why the fuck does that matter? If there was some gangster ass thugs who skated, but were still chill dudes, I'd be glad to skate with them. Although, judging dudes based on how the dress is classic slap mentality.

who said i ONLY bomb hills?, i chose the dress bit because it was the easier way to show how i have nothing in common with some dudes, i take the time to learn and progress with my tricks, that doesn't mean i have to skate at 0mph, sorry but skateboarding so slow looks like shit, i don't judge them it is the simple fact that i have nothing in common, i like some hip hop and i tried to relate on that level, i was like hey you guys like Gang Starr you guys like Pac?, they were like i like 50cent, i just couldn't go from there, they think of me as the "rocker" dude, i think nothing of them.

ps: no offense but that's one of the dumbest assumptions i've seen, ever dude.