Author Topic: The Slap Message Boards and the Trial of Jamie Thomas  (Read 86313 times)

GIRL Workshop B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • Gino Clause
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Slap Message Boards and the Trial of Jamie Thomas
« Reply #420 on: May 11, 2008, 01:52:32 PM »
whatever i bet you guys were stoked on him in 2004

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #421 on: May 11, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »
like i said oakley was probably throwaway. tell me would you put all your best footage for your sunglass sponsor's video or would you save it for your board sponsor's video?

But Sheckler said in his own words. ".....it should be pretty amazing". Are you saying that he's lying?
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #422 on: May 11, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
whatever i bet you guys were stoked on him in 2004

stop acting like you had started skating before 2004

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #423 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
he has different tastes i guess. you think it isn't amazing but it is to someone else. and yes i started skating in 04 but im not in y mid twenties/30's and i don't feel like telling people my age right now

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #424 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »
Even if his new plan B part is "amazing" which i highly doubt it will be, it won't make me change my mind one bit about him.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #425 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
of course its not gonna prove that hes a great person but it'll prove how "amazing" he is on a board

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »

Even if his new plan B part is "amazing" which i highly doubt it will be, it won't make me change my mind one bit about him.
of course its not gonna prove that hes a great person but it'll prove how "amazing" he is on a board

I can't enjoy someone's footy if the skater is a complete asshole, no matter how "amazing" he is

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »

To me, an amazing part would be one like this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=23a6qzPuTTI

I don't think Sheckler's is going to be very amazing...
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #428 on: May 11, 2008, 02:10:13 PM »
you guys are acting like hes the only douche. do you honestly know if you're favorite skater is a good person or not? also to make it in skateboarding you HAVE to be humble. pro's and ams didn't make it where they are JUST because they have skills. all of you know that to get on a team you have to get to meet the riders and if they don't like you and think you're a douche bag or something they're obviously not putting you on. and by the way stefan's a beast you can't compare them and how can you say that his part won't be amazing without actualy watching it?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
somehow the tattoo and t.v. show will likely get in the way.....

anyone seen that unreleased footage of guy brushing his teeth?

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
also to make it in skateboarding you HAVE to be humble.

hahahahah.

how can you say that his part won't be amazing without actualy watching it?

i don't think people are saying they don't like ryan sheckler because his next video part might not be amazing.
i think they're saying they don't like him because he's a cunt.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2008, 02:15:47 PM »
you guys are acting like hes the only douche. do you honestly know if you're favorite skater is a good person or not? also to make it in skateboarding you HAVE to be humble. pro's and ams didn't make it where they are JUST because they have skills. all of you know that to get on a team you have to get to meet the riders and if they don't like you and think you're a douche bag or something they're obviously not putting you on. and by the way stefan's a beast you can't compare them and how can you say that his part won't be amazing without actualy watching it?

the thing is,
Guys like stefan seems to actually like what their doing when you see their parts, I mean they like the progress of doing it
Guys like sheckler only seem to like the things connected to it, in this case: the money

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »
Otis may be a dick, but he is totally right on this one. These guys package themselves as a commodity. That includes every pro skater. When you are selling things using your image, there is a legitimate reason for a person to reject your sales pitch. Its not about personally knowing somebody. In pro skating a pro skater markets themself, and the target audience has every right to reject this commodity. And if a person commodifies their private life by having a reality show, it becomes the target audiece's right to reject that commodity as well.

Jamie, you said the last thing you want is our money. Come on now. I'm not saying that you want us to give you all of our money until we can't afford to eat anymore, but you definitely want our money. If not ours, whos? Who is your target audience? If it isn't us, its people who come on here and are influenced by us, right? I'm not saying you are like the guys at Nike who don't care about skating and only got involved in it to make a quick buck, but I'm guessing you figured you couldn't be jumping down 20 foot drops forever, and knew you had to make a living some how. That's fine. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, its quite admirable that you love skating enough that you found a way to be involved in it even after you can't skate. But, you do want our money, and thats ok.

Tedpod, the jealousy thing is stupid there are a lot of guys out there making shitloads of money skating who I like, why am I not jealous of them?  And those guys who I say should be getting more, what selfish part of my morality does that go into? What is really dumb about all the shit you are saying is 1) you are just getting your arguments from magazines opinions of the boards. Of course this place does call them out consistently as industry whores, but that shouldn't give them any reason to talk bad about it... right? 2) It implies one single mentality of a board that has a membership of over 7000. To think you have an idea what everybody on here is thinking when they say what they say is ridiculous. There are a huge variety of opinions on here. Most of the time all you see is arguments in every thread, and the people who get the most hate on here aren't pros, but other posters on the board. When the overwhelming majority agrees one guy is a kook, its not because all of them are jealous, the odds are, he's fucking lame.

Money isnt the reason I started a skateboard company and the last thing I want is "your" money. I don't know you, but in every single one of your posts over the year I've been here, you've make it loud and clear your a dick. Regardless, if what you're saying is even about me, you still come across as one of the lamest dudes out. You say I made skateboarding less cool and I can "deal" with your opinion, but what are you doing to make it more cool? Spitting negativity on the board, yeah you're killing it.

Come on gipper...
the quotes were to make my point specific to Otis, since he made the statement;
but sheckler, jamie thomas and countless others are constantly using their 'personalities' to try and take my money out of my pocket so it can go into theirs.
...if they want to keep trying to get my, yours and everyone elses money then i'm afraid they're going to have to(and should) just fucking deal with it.

Obviously, we need money to stay in business and I need money to live, but I didn't start a company because I wanted to be rich and if I did, I would be an idiot, cause the chances of some redneck from Alabama pulling it has gotta be like a million to one.

I won the lottery and worked as hard as I could. Therefore, I'm thankful and i try to support/give back to the things I'm down for every chance I get. Friends, employee's, riders, shops, kids on the come up, charities. I'm not trying to say I'm a saint cause I know for the most part I'm a dick, but I don't actually going around trying to be, so I'll look cool and above everything.

If all the only people that were in skateboarding was salty dudes like Otis, you can trust me that I'd be out, money or not. Shit would suck, I'd find some other way to support myself.
Come to think of it, I wouldn't have ever gotten into it in the first place, but luckily I had some amazing dudes to skate with growing up and that made skateboarding the best thing in the world in my mind. It's compromised now that I'm older and things are changing, but the good still outweighs the bad and skating still feels fun, so I try to contribute whatever/however I can.

...sorry for the long winded explanation, but it was flowin.
peace.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:15:00 PM by I SUCK! »
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
how can you say sheckler only skates for money? hes been skating since he was like 1 year old he probably would've quit by 8 years old if he didn't love doing it. also about the tattoo it's only his last name his dad has one too. it's not like it says "RYAN" it just says sheckler and theres only like one pic of it anyway and alot of people here wanna see dyrdek's mind field part yet he has a show (even though its over).

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
Get it right dudes—The Chief didn't start his companies for the money. He started his companies for the power that comes from being a company owner and having that money—holla!
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

boyan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »
how can you say sheckler only skates for money? hes been skating since he was like 1 year old he probably would've quit by 8 years old if he didn't love doing it. also about the tattoo it's only his last name his dad has one too. it's not like it says "RYAN" it just says sheckler and theres only like one pic of it anyway and alot of people here wanna see dyrdek's mind field part yet he has a show (even though its over).

I'm not saying it's entirely his fault, he became what his parents turned him into

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
Get it right dudes—The Chief didn't start his companies for the money. He started his companies for the power that comes from being a company owner and having that money—holla!

totally, I had my eye on the power.
When I was a kid, I said I want to start skating so I can be powerful someday.
With any power comes responsibility and I try to do the best I can with both.

Do you know me or did you read some shit on the internet to make you the expert you are?

"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
Obviously, we need money to stay and business and I need money to live, but I didn't start a company because I wanted to be rich and if I did, I would be an idiot, cause the chances of some redneck from Alabama pulling it has gotta be like a million to one.

so why did you market zero to little kids?
why did you start a truck company that made trucks that you must have known were unnecessary at best and total shit at worst?
why did you start a shoe company that made cheaper/worse copies of popular already existing shoes?

just for fun right?

i'm not even going to get into slave which was probably the most cyncical marketing exercise i've seen this decade.

Absurdicon Delta

• Rep: 0
« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »
quick Jamie, dodge those questions with vague answers
Not to toot my own horn but Dyrdek was NEVER on my level and never will be.
I aint got no love for you bitches.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »
Do I smell envy around here?

Hexagon

« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Dude, beef jerky is fucking intense.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Obviously, we need money to stay and business and I need money to live, but I didn't start a company because I wanted to be rich and if I did, I would be an idiot, cause the chances of some redneck from Alabama pulling it has gotta be like a million to one.

[close]

so why did you market zero to little kids?
why did you start a truck company that made trucks that you must have known were unnecessary at best and total shit at worst?
why did you start a shoe company that made cheaper/worse copies of popular already existing shoes?

just for fun right?

i'm not even going to get into slave which was probably the most cyncical marketing exercise i've seen this decade.

I started companies because I thought I had something different to offer and because I found it "fun" and challenging.
Most were opportunities that were presented to me that I was excited for and a way of making a long-term investment with my years of skateboarding. I'm not all about money, but I don't want my family to be on the street when my career's over.

We started Slave to offer something different to what we had and to support the shops that compete with mall stuff and to support one of "the raddest male human's I know", "Ben Horton."

When I made skulls in the beginning everyone was confused as hell, they said "this shit's dead", you sure you want to do this?
I was like, hell yeah, that's what I was into when I was a kid and no-one does it anymore. I didn't know it was going to be a hit. As time went on, I moved away from skulls and we made other crap that myself and the team were into etc...

to your next point, Fallen's arent' cheaper than Vans or emerica, so you're tripping on that one.
All modern day skate shoes have been influenced by the 10 or so classics and you can't reinvent them, so it's comes down to different spins.

you act like your posts shut me down and your pretentious comments are the end all. We've probably been in this for about the same amount of time and I've spent time in the gutter as well, so you can't tell me what I'm about and why I do what I do. All you can do from your view is make guesses.

I'm guessing that you either have no friends or no one has the heart to question your authority...and that's the beauty of this arrangement, I have to get down to the root of who I am everyday I sign on.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:30:53 PM by I SUCK! »

biggums mcgee

« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »
could you guys beat a dead horse anymore? if JT sticks around is he gonna be bombarded with these questions for years on end? all the shit about zero being marketed to little kids has been discussed, in detail...the venezualan talk was the best thing this thread had going for it

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »
We started Slave to offer something different to what we had and to support the shops that compete with mall stuff and to support one of our biggest commodities, "Ben Horton."

mall stuff being zero, mystery and fallen right? so you wanted to make money from chain shops and small independents.
i thought ben horton was a male human, did you just call him a commodity?

to your next point, Fallen's arent' cheaper than Vans or emerica, so you're tripping on that one.
All modern day skate shoes have been influenced by the 10 or so classics and you can't reinvent them, so it's comes down to different spins.

they should be cheaper. didn't you just say you wanted to bring something new to the table everytime you started a company, now you're saying it's not possible to bring anything new to the shoe market.

you act like your posts shut me down and your pretentious comments are the end all. We've probably been in this for about the same amount of time and I've spent time in the gutter as well, so you can't tell me what I'm about and why I do what I do. All you can do from your view is make guesses.

no, i know facts about shady shit you've done in the past, you know them too but seem to have somehow forgotten them and persuaded yourself to buy this pathetic 'just a humble, god fearing redneck from alabamy' mythology that you probably paid a marketing company to write for you.

i'm not really trying to shut you down, i'd genuinely be interested in reading honest answers to these questions although i know at this point we will never get them from you.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
unanswered question; why did you start a truck company that made trucks that you must have known were unnecessary at best and total shit at worst?

Didn't know they were unnecessary at the time, must have been naive. realized it was a shotty attempt at best so I cut my losses and asked to ride for what I thought was the best program. that was 3 years ago, I have no interest in trying again and I'll ride for Thunder until I can't roll.

bring your shit too, absurdion
(...sorry I didn't think about you when I said otis probably doesn't have any friends

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
unanswered question; why did you start a truck company that made trucks that you must have known were unnecessary at best and total shit at worst?

Didn't know they were unnecessary at the time, must have been naive. realized it was a shotty attempt at best so I cut my losses and asked to ride for what I thought was the best program. that was 3 years ago, I have no interest in trying again and I'll ride for Thunder until I can't roll.

are you saying you knowingly put shitty trucks on your completes?

is this you humbly contributing again?

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
We started Slave to offer something different to what we had and to support the shops that compete with mall stuff and to support one of our biggest commodities, "Ben Horton."
[close]

mall stuff being zero, mystery and fallen right? so you wanted to make money from chain shops and small independents.
i thought ben horton was a male human, did you just call him a commodity?

Expand Quote
[close]

they should be cheaper. didn't you just say you wanted to bring something new to the table everytime you started a company, now you're saying it's not possible to bring anything new to the shoe market.

Expand Quote
[close]

no, i know facts about shady shit you've done in the past, you know them too but seem to have somehow forgotten them and persuaded yourself to buy this pathetic 'just a humble, god fearing redneck from alabamy' mythology that you probably paid a marketing company to write for you.

i'm not really trying to shut you down, i'd genuinely be interested in reading honest answers to these questions although i know at this point we will never get them from you.

...the something new for fallen is what and how we make what we do and the distribution is as tighter or tighter than anyone's in the industry. You seem like your smart, but to clarify, my point was that you can't reinvent the wheel. But, bro you really got me stumblin.

Like it or not, I'm giving you honest answers, probably not what you're looking for, but I'm not trying to be anyone, but who I am.
My point about Ben was that he's amazing and he works hard and does a good job, we value that, so we wanted to support him and his art. It was also to give us the chance to re-assess our style of distribution so we can could determine if' it's possible to change it for our other brands.

Ps. spit your shady shit or shut up.

Absurdicon Delta

• Rep: 0
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
persuaded yourself to buy this pathetic 'just a humble, god fearing redneck from alabamy' mythology that you probably paid a marketing company to write for you.

^ haha this is perfect

they topped off his marketing package with a self-deprecating username because he's just so fucking down-to-earth
Not to toot my own horn but Dyrdek was NEVER on my level and never will be.
I aint got no love for you bitches.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: May 11, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you saying you knowingly put shitty trucks on your completes?

is this you humbly contributing again?

I never said they were shitty, I said I realized the brand wasn't necessary.
I like your attempts at putting words in my mouth, but everyone can see through it.

We put Monster's on our completes because we get them for less factory direct so we can sell our completes for less.
They are decent (i rode them for years) and made in the US in case you're wondering.

keep trying.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #449 on: May 11, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
Expand Quote
persuaded yourself to buy this pathetic 'just a humble, god fearing redneck from alabamy' mythology that you probably paid a marketing company to write for you.
[close]

^ haha this is perfect

they topped off his marketing package with a self-deprecating username because he's just so fucking down-to-earth

I signed on as I SUCK!, cause that was the verdict. so I wanted to start there.
I don't think I suck, but I know a lot radder people.
that was then and I kept the name cause I would catch flack if I changed it and I really don't think it matters.
you know who I am.