Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431195 times)

whiteley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
^ get "one quick move or i'm gone" on dvd from netflix. cool doc about kerouac after On The Road, when he was writing his next one, Big Sur.
just wrapped up Blood Meridian by cormac mccarthy. pretty incredible. no country for old men, the road, all the pretty horses and blood meridian all back to back over the last few months. interesting writing style that guy has.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
mccarthy just seems like a cool guy. he signed like 250 copies of the road and boxed them up and has them locked away so when his kid turns 18, he can sell them and use the money to do whatever he wants with it. those are the only signed copies in existence.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »

This books amazing. About a traveling bad-ass Dog who hitchhikes and be-friends all he crosses (unless there douche-bags). Has the smelliest toots ever too.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
^ get "one quick move or i'm gone" on dvd from netflix. cool doc about kerouac after On The Road, when he was writing his next one, Big Sur.
just wrapped up Blood Meridian by cormac mccarthy. pretty incredible. no country for old men, the road, all the pretty horses and blood meridian all back to back over the last few months. interesting writing style that guy has.

I read Blood Meridian for the second time a few months ago. I've read All the Pretty Horses and the two books after it, Suttree, The Road and a few other books by him. I think some symbolism stuff probably goes over my head, but I really like Cormac McCarthy.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »
Right now I am reading Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne. It's about his traveling to various cities to perform music or do art installation and his observations on life and culture. It's interesting, but it's not like a book that I pick up and can't put down. it's slow going.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Right now I am reading Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne. It's about his traveling to various cities to perform music or do art installation and his observations on life and culture. It's interesting, but it's not like a book that I pick up and can't put down. it's slow going.

that sounds kinda cool. i was reading the art and zen of motorcycle repair and it was that way. it was so slow going that i put it down for a little while and im now reading hells angels. next is the road.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
I just finished the latest Stephen King book, Under the Dome.  It was alright...pretty long at 1070 pages.  I was pissed at the lexicon of the skateboarder character. 

Currently reading The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.  It was released under a different name in the US(Someone Know My Name?).  It is really, really good.  I recommend it.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that sounds kinda cool. i was reading the art and zen of motorcycle repair and it was that way. it was so slow going that i put it down for a little while and im now reading hells angels. next is the road.

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson? You should follow that up with Hells Angel by Sonny Barger, the Ex-President of the Angel's life story.

Rafiki

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
Im on the last book in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz
Really good books

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2010, 05:41:15 PM »
Ripping through Factotum right now. First Bukowski I have read and I really do love it. I am peeling through the pages faster than anything I have read.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
Ripping through Factotum right now. First Bukowski I have read and I really do love it. I am peeling through the pages faster than anything I have read.
I've yet to read the novel, but I have seen the film which some good, I think some HBO type channel released it.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
mccarthy just seems like a cool guy. he signed like 250 copies of the road and boxed them up and has them locked away so when his kid turns 18, he can sell them and use the money to do whatever he wants with it. those are the only signed copies in existence.

read that about the signed copies too. wonder how much they'll go for... definitely further than i can throw my wallet.

Expand Quote
[close]

I read Blood Meridian for the second time a few months ago. I've read All the Pretty Horses and the two books after it, Suttree, The Road and a few other books by him. I think some symbolism stuff probably goes over my head, but I really like Cormac McCarthy.

how was suttree? i just got a copy but am not quite as psyched to start it for some reason. maybe burn out point.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson? You should follow that up with Hells Angel by Sonny Barger, the Ex-President of the Angel's life story.

we ran an interview with sonny barger in SLAP like five years back, had to get a letter signed by his attorney before we could run it. gnarly. i heard his attorney was burned over his entire body except his neck and face... but yeah, barger is raw.

as played as buk is in skate circles, he is genuinely awesome. even if you don't like poetry, check some of his out. Love Is A Dog From Hell is great. and if you can find it there are some cool videos of him speaking/reading which are pretty entertaining.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

fuck yea i gotta find that. whiteley is there any way of finding that slap interview with barger online?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: January 08, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
it doesn't exist online, at least at this point. at some point we could try to dig it up out of the archives and scan it or something, but... we'll see.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
ah no worries. do you remember what issue it was in?

Mr. DNA

« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »
I get burnt on Cormac McCarthy, too. After a Cormac McCarthy book, I need to read something lighter and easier. There's parts where I get lost. There's always a point in his books where some old person starts telling a long drawn story that is like 10 pages long. I think this is the part that must have some kind of meaning, but I am too dense to get it.  Sometimes at the beginning of the book it takes while to figure out exactly who the characters are.

Suttree was good, It's just about a dude that fishes and drinks.
Child of God is a kinda gnarly book on an Ed Gein like dude.
After All the Pretty Horses there is The Crossing, which is good, the Cities on the Plain, which I felt was the weakest of the trilogy.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
I read this for like the 5th time....

It's about a Jewish boy orphaned in Poland during WWII. He survives going village to village and being abused by the people who take him in. If you're into the violence and gnarliness of Blood Meridian, than you will like this one. I learned about it from a Dave Carnie reading list from an old Big Brother.

All Hail Wu Welsh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
i'm looking for a couple good books for the rest of this winter, any recommendations on novels involving travel experiences, travels with charlie and open road look quite good but anything else?

odp

« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
chuck palahniuk is the best writer i've come across in a long time. In the past 2 weeks i've read Rant, Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and
Choke.

they'll blow your mind

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »
chuck palahniuk is the best writer i've come across in a long time. In the past 2 weeks i've read Rant, Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and
Choke.

they'll blow your mind

im reading pygmy right now. its hard to read because he writes it as a thirteen year old indoctrinated militant child but some of the views on midwest american life are funny. i would suggest haunted though, its my second favorite book by him (after fight club of course) 
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

frisco

« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2010, 06:20:58 PM »

thank you for the recommendation zombie thread, love this book

odp

« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Choke.

they'll blow your mind
[close]

im reading pygmy right now. its hard to read because he writes it as a thirteen year old indoctrinated militant child but some of the views on midwest american life are funny. i would suggest haunted though, its my second favorite book by him (after fight club of course) 

i'm all about Rant, so far. My buddy has been letting me borrow the books and Haunted is on loan to someone else right now.

I started Invisible Monsters when i got out of work last night and finished it this morning. The whole idea of Shannon McFarland blowing her own face off was excellent.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
i'm looking for a couple good books for the rest of this winter, any recommendations on novels involving travel experiences, travels with charlie and open road look quite good but anything else?

The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles may be of interest.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

in the middle of tropic of cancer right now. dude's got grit. "I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive."

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:36 AM »
reading this right now actually

ONTARIO CANADA

Des Esseintes

• Rep: 21
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »
Travel experiences?

The ones that come to mind immediately are Kafka on the shore and On the Road.

Kafka on the shore is about this kid (who calls himself Kafka) running away from home and this old regular man who leaves home for the first time after speaking to some talking cats.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
Travel experiences?

Kafka on the shore is about this kid (who calls himself Kafka) running away from home and this old regular man who leaves home for the first time after speaking to some talking cats.

+1 on Kafka.  Or any other Haruki Murakami book.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »
this old regular man who leaves home for the first time after speaking to some talking cats.

Why wasn't I told someone had written my biography?

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Travel experiences?

[close]

+1 on Kafka.  Or any other Haruki Murakami book.

i read metamorphosis and sort of gave up on kafka cause i didn't really like his writing style in that book. maybe one book isn't enough to form an opinion on him so what do you suggest of his?
it could just be that i read at least 2 bukowski articles where he calls kafka a phony. i might just be giving into buk hysteria
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!