Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431260 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #3390 on: December 12, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
I don’t know Connelly or Child so can’t help there but I’m happy to try to give recommendations if you can share some more authors, titles, styles, etc. that you like.

I’m reading a sociology book right now that’s taking me a while because I always read academic texts much slower than novels. It’s super good though. It’s all about the ways that psychedelics researchers are navigating legitimizing psychedelic psychology in the wake of Leary. It’s called Acid Revival by Danielle Giffort. I actually know her from my “academia days” and she’s a great researcher/sociologist and a nice person so I highly recommend it if you’re ok with academic texts.

After that, I’m going to re-read You Too Can Have A Body Like Mine by Alexandra Kleeman, an amazing author and book that I read a few years ago. It had such a visceral impact on me the first time I read it so I’m excited to jump back in. I have a few other sociology, history, and theory books to read as well but I might try to re-read Transparent Things by Nabokov when I’m back at my parents’ over the holidays since I read it early in my fandom for Nabokov and I feel like I missed a lot.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #3391 on: December 12, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you have read it already, but I think it's worth suggesting anyway, A People's History of the United States is a great historical tome through the eyes of the oppressed that every introspective American should read. Get to it if you haven't already.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3392 on: December 12, 2020, 10:33:41 PM »
First post in this thread, didn’t know about it so kinda stoked.

Anyone read Lerner? What’s your take?

I read 10:04 and some other one (,ame escapes me). I am not a fan. I feel like he epitomizes the insular, hierarchical nature of mainstream contemporary fiction, with attention given to the craft as "ordained" but with no real chances being taken or anything of substance being said. There's something impersonal and sad about his work that I'll admit is a very recognizable depiction of middle class capitalism, but I do what I can to not spend more time in that world than I have to. I once said something to this effect on the first day of grad school writing workshop and made some enemies.

Recommendation-wise, sounds like you might like Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore check it out. Be curious to hear how you like the Walker Ryan book.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3393 on: December 13, 2020, 07:18:29 AM »
Just finished this one and I must say that I do understand all the hype around Rutger Bregman. It's been a long while since I've read a book by a more optimistic progressive public intellectual. I really liked that Bregman makes the case for "progressive" issues such as the universal basic income or open borders not from a moral standpoint (as is often the case) but from a rational, human, common-sense point of view, backing up his thesis with data and examples from history. Enlightening and refreshing!

If you're not familiar with Bregman, watch his unaired interview on Fox News. Just great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFI2Zb7qE

I finally picked up Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby and after the first 40 or so pages, I have to conclude that I've never really been the football (=soccer) enthusiast I thought I was. At least in comparison to Hornby. What a nutcase (in the best way possible)! I admire his passion for football and his club Arsenal FC (which I've always found a little lackluster tbh). I'm simultaneously glad and bummed that I missed out on so many matches of my own club Werder Bremen (including some of their biggest successes). But it also made me realize how much I miss watching a match on the terrace.

« Reply #3394 on: December 13, 2020, 07:22:45 AM »
My mom asked me what she should get me for Christmas and I told her Obama's memoir A Promised Land. Anyone else reading this?

I don't think I've ever read a politician's book, but I'm interested in some behind-the-scenes stuff.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3395 on: December 13, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
Expand Quote
First post in this thread, didn’t know about it so kinda stoked.

Anyone read Lerner? What’s your take?

[close]

I read 10:04 and some other one (,ame escapes me). I am not a fan. I feel like he epitomizes the insular, hierarchical nature of mainstream contemporary fiction, with attention given to the craft as "ordained" but with no real chances being taken or anything of substance being said. There's something impersonal and sad about his work that I'll admit is a very recognizable depiction of middle class capitalism, but I do what I can to not spend more time in that world than I have to. I once said something to this effect on the first day of grad school writing workshop and made some enemies.

Recommendation-wise, sounds like you might like Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore check it out. Be curious to hear how you like the Walker Ryan book.
As far as Lerner, I think he goes a bit over my head tbh but the stories are interesting enough. Not my favorite by any means but decent. A lot of what you said went over my head too haha.

For Walker Ryan's book, I like it, I'm like 75 pages in and I just got it yesterday. I think he's doing a good job of making an interesting story involving skating that's not corny, skating is part of the context not the focus. I'm stoked to keep reading I read like 5 straight chapters yesterday. I'll post up once I Finnish too.

I''l check out Mr. Penumbra's sounds like an interesting read, thanks for the recommendation.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #3396 on: December 13, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
My mom asked me what she should get me for Christmas and I told her Obama's memoir A Promised Land. Anyone else reading this?

I don't think I've ever read a politician's book, but I'm interested in some behind-the-scenes stuff.

Most political memoirs are self-serving fluff. I don't think there's much value in them. Maybe just borrow it from a library?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

« Reply #3397 on: December 14, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Most political memoirs are self-serving fluff. I don't think there's much value in them. Maybe just borrow it from a library?

I hear that. I feel like Obama's different though. At least he probably didn't hire a ghostwriter. Or maybe I'm wrong and will be disappointed.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #3398 on: December 14, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »
Regardless, I think that there are better ways of spending ~20 euros...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #3399 on: December 16, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
Finished walker Ryans Book “Top of Mason”. I enjoyed it, fun easy read. I finished it in a few days. I recommend it.

Got Mr. Punmbras 24 hour Bookstore otw as well as My sister the serial killer, If I fall I die and None of the Bad Ones by Andrew Brown.

In the meantime, reading Diablo Guardián by Xavier Velasco. Any Spanish speaking PALs with book recommendations I’d like to read a few more novels in Spanish.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3400 on: December 16, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
Pihkal-A Chemical Love Story, Sasha and Ann Shulgin.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #3401 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:11 PM »
Good to know Walker’s book is fine. I like him as a skater and a person but expected it to be horrible.

Listening to Lurking by Joanne McNeil which is really interesting so far. It’s a dive into the history / experience of using the internet but with a focus on the user versus the companies behind it. Which when you hear it is a no-brainer perspective but one that hasn’t been taken before. It feels very interesting and resonant because of this.

I also started the Kleeman I mentioned above today. Read the first 24 pages and had to stop myself or I was going to finish the whole thing. It’s just as good if not better than I remembered. The fun part of rereading books is hitting those lines or moments that resonate with you upon first read and immediately re-connecting with them. That happened a lot in this first chapter, which then resulted in a cascade of other memories of the book and I’m excited to keep reading!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:38:05 PM by oyolar »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3402 on: December 16, 2020, 11:31:03 PM »

Any Spanish speaking PALs with book recommendations I’d like to read a few more novels in Spanish.

Robero Bolano, the Chilean not the Mexican. Los Dectives Salvajes is his best know novel, Las Putas Assessinas is a good collection of short stories. If this interests you search this thread, his novels have been discussed at length I think.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #3403 on: December 17, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Any Spanish speaking PALs with book recommendations I’d like to read a few more novels in Spanish.
[close]

Robero Bolano, the Chilean not the Mexican. Los Dectives Salvajes is his best know novel, Las Putas Assessinas is a good collection of short stories. If this interests you search this thread, his novels have been discussed at length I think.

Thanks. I’ll look into it

« Reply #3404 on: December 18, 2020, 07:03:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not sure what you mean with "the Chilean not the Mexican", but I second your suggestion! Bolano's one of my all-time favs. Los Detectives Salvajes is his best work in my opinion, but I recommend starting with something easier, like Estrella Distante or Nocturno de Chile.

Bolano was Chilean and later moved to Mexico. Many of his works were written against the background of the Pinochet regime in Chile, but Los Detectives Salvajes and 2666 (his most famous, yet not his best work) clearly focus more on Mexican society.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3405 on: December 18, 2020, 07:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm not sure what you mean with "the Chilean not the Mexican", but I second your suggestion! Bolano's one of my all-time favs. Los Detectives Salvajes is his best work in my opinion, but I recommend starting with something easier, like Estrella Distante or Nocturno de Chile.

Bolano was Chilean and later moved to Mexico. Many of his works were written against the background of the Pinochet regime in Chile, but Los Detectives Salvajes and 2666 (his most famous, yet not his best work) clearly focus more on Mexican society.

curious as to why you'd think so

« Reply #3406 on: December 18, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

curious as to why you'd think so

Well, Bolano wrote 2666 on his deathbed and was (understandably) eager to make it a financial success in order to provide for his family after his death. He had already been a famous writer at this point and 2666 was supposed to be his magnum opus. 2666 consists of five parts, which are more or less loosely connected. Bolano wasn't even sure whether to publish these 5 stories as one work or as separate books.

Don't get me wrong here, 2666 was definitely one of the better books I've read and also worth the effort (~900 pages). But I also couldn't help but feel that, first and foremost, 2666 owes its fame to its marketing as Bolano's "big novel". I'm still not entirely sure how its 5 stories tie together exactly and whether this was done well. It also lacks the "heart" of Los Detectives Salvajes and feels much "colder" (which is also exactly what Bolano was going for), but that's just my personal taste.

In my opinion, The Savage Detectives is Bolano at his very best, followed by Distant Star and By Night in Chile.

Have you read 2666 or are you about to?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3407 on: December 18, 2020, 11:22:54 AM »
just want to be absolutely clear, the reference to Bolano the Chilean not the Mexican is because there is another well-known author (in the spanish lit world) with the same name, only difference is an 񮍊
From what I've read the publishers wanted to capitalize on Bolano's hype and put out 2666 as one book against his explicit instructions (he was dead at that point but he'd been clear about this, it was supposed to be read as periodic installments). I think it's a great book but would have profited immensely from existing as separate, linked pieces.

As far as stand alone novels go The Third Reich is pretty strong as well.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #3408 on: December 18, 2020, 11:54:39 AM »
I hear you, and 2666 could've definitly benifitted from being finished, its just that the way you put it made it seem like you argued it was a 'lesser' Bolano novel.

I thought I read that the only reason Bolano wanted it to be released in separate parts was because he knew he was dying and that in that way it would secure a prolonged income, he figured 5 books would make more money than one.

I think The Savage Detectives and Third Reich are great, but very polished and ''commercial'', in my reading of Bolano I' got the feeling he'd think of those two as the lesser novels himself. To me his writing shines best in A Distant Star or Amulet, Antwerp or 2666.

But, Savage Detectives would probably be the best one to start with.

« Reply #3409 on: December 18, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
just want to be absolutely clear, the reference to Bolano the Chilean not the Mexican is because there is another well-known author (in the spanish lit world) with the same name, only difference is an 񮍊
From what I've read the publishers wanted to capitalize on Bolano's hype and put out 2666 as one book against his explicit instructions (he was dead at that point but he'd been clear about this, it was supposed to be read as periodic installments). I think it's a great book but would have profited immensely from existing as separate, linked pieces.

As far as stand alone novels go The Third Reich is pretty strong as well.

Oh wow. I never knew that there was another Roberto Bolano (despite the one-letter difference). I guess that makes sense now.

I likedThe Third Reich and its surreal eeriness, too. Well, as a matter of fact, I pretty much like everything I've read by Bolano so far. It's about time I pick up another of his books. I've never read Antwerp or Monsieur Pain for example.

I hear you, and 2666 could've definitly benifitted from being finished, its just that the way you put it made it seem like you argued it was a 'lesser' Bolano novel.

I thought I read that the only reason Bolano wanted it to be released in separate parts was because he knew he was dying and that in that way it would secure a prolonged income, he figured 5 books would make more money than one.

I think The Savage Detectives and Third Reich are great, but very polished and ''commercial'', in my reading of Bolano I' got the feeling he'd think of those two as the lesser novels himself. To me his writing shines best in A Distant Star or Amulet, Antwerp or 2666.

Yeah, I get your point. The works you mentioned all strike me as a bit darker than The Savage Detectives (even though I've never readAntwerp). Why do you consider The Savage Detectives polished? I'm genuinely interested. Personally, I always thought of the Detectives as the peak of the "young" Bolano, as it mixes different genres and is a bit more poetic, playful and "bohemian" than, let's say, 2666, which strikes me as a more "mature" novel.

I'm not sure Bolano even has a lesser novel. Maybe Lumpen novelita, but that's merely based on other people's reviews. I think I read somewhere that Bolano considered himself a poet and only started writing prose in order to make a living. So maybe he considered all of his novels as lesser writing.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3410 on: December 18, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
The reindeer people by piers vitebsky.
Pretty readable psuedo- ethnography type. They really into their dreams there and plenty of reindeer trivia.
For example, if a reindeer dies in the arctic, it's guts and shit don't freeze, they ferment because the fur/hide is so warm. The more you know.
Whoa. Danger.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3411 on: December 19, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »

I think maybe you're confusing my post with another since I didn't mention 2666, but for the record I think it is by far the more ambitious work.

Yep, that's what I read too. But I think that the wait time between installments would have given readers more of a chance to think about each section, absorb it more and ultimately just built anticipation and a different kind of appreciation for the different parts of the work.

yep.

yep. also maybe the Skating Rink as ashorter novel.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3412 on: January 08, 2021, 08:13:53 AM »
I’ve gotten into reading social psychology the past few years. I think largely due to the Trump phenomenon and seeing some people behave in ways and justify things I never thought I would. Anyways, this guy Roy Baumeister’s name pops up over and over again in the stuff I’ve read, particularly pertaining to the individual, and I finally picked up one of his books, Willpower. There’s a lot of stuff you already know intuitively that it just sort of confirms and backs with research and brings it to the front of your mind. He talks about how willpower is finite, and a person can only exercise it for a certain amount of time before it needs to be replenished with food or sleep. But that if it is exercised consistently it could be strengthened and the more you make good habits part of your routine the less willpower you have to expend on them because the actions become automatic.
What I thought was most interesting it talks about how for most of the history of psychology the brain was treated as this isolated organism, and just recently researchers have studied how it is effected by being interconnected with the larger biological organism of the human body. And he claims that blood glucose levels have an extremely strong correlation with personal willpower. Eating sugar gives you a short term spike in energy and therefore willpower, but then you crash and essentially have a willpower hangover. And alcohol and drugs other than pot (his exception) fuck you up because they throw your personal monitoring system into disarray. The key to maintaining consistently healthy glucose levels and therefore consistently strong willpower is to eat a healthy, low glycemic, diet. I started eating a much healthier diet a few years ago and it sort of coincided with improving my habits in general and felt his theory made a lot of sense to my own experience. Of course there is the catch 22 that it requires a strong willpower to eat a healthy diet, which is necessary to maintain strong willpower...

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #3413 on: January 08, 2021, 02:07:12 PM »
I've been working my way slowly through Alexander Cockburn's Corruptions of Empire which is mostly a collection of magazine stories, personal vignettes and diary entries starting in the 1950s when Alex was in private school in Ireland through to the Reagan years ending in 1987 when the book was published. Alex was a socialist and a journalist with a very British sensibility. I would compare him to Hunter S Thompson, very biting in his take on American politics and politicians, but a lot less unhinged and drug addled. Topics range from discussions of the virtues of French cooking vs English cooking, the preservation of Miami's Art Deco district, the CIA's funding of death squads in El Salvador, PG Wodehouse's time in America when he wrote most of his famous books, to the concept of political punditry. It's all very informative, but it never feels like a slog as Cockburn peppers everything with his distinct British humor.

Here's a little excerpt from his section on the plight of Palestinians in 1980

Here is a practical proposal to you. Discuss the basic facts of the oppression of the Palestinians by Israel as much as you can and going right down to the basics of the racism of everyday. Point out the obvious contradiction between what the majority of American Jews demand for themselves in the USA, and what they defend in Israel. Do not be intimidated in the struggle against racism and for human dignity, equality and freedom, by any demagoguery about peace and democracy, if they are used in the cause of discrimination, and perhaps the words of the prophet (Amos 5:15) will come true : 'Hate the evil and love the good and establish judgement in the gate, it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.'

And another excerpt on how his father (himself a famous communist writer in the early 20th century) would deal with debt collectors.

Early in life in Ireland i learned to appreciate the color of the envelopes containing the day's mail. White envelopes were good. Brown ones weren't and my father would leave them up on the mantelpiece unopened. Over the months they would gradually get demoted from this high station to his study and then to the bottom drawer of a desk in his study. We would all laugh heartily over the form letter to creditors my father threatened to send: 'Dear Sir, I am in receipt of your fourth communication regarding my outstanding account. Let me explain how I pay my bills. I throw them all into a large basket. Each year I stir the basket with a stick, take out four bills and pay them. One more letter from you and you're out of the game.'

It's a joy to read and because the book is mostly a collection of little stories and excerpts you can read a little bit a day.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3414 on: January 08, 2021, 03:33:46 PM »
W Somerset Maugham "Of Human Bondage" has been a long read. It's not that the novel is particularly difficult to understand, but rather the depth of thought and its effect on interpersonal relationships experienced by each character, particularly Philip, is expansive and despite the book having been written in 1915, relatable. Not so much the background or tangible experience, but the growth of person and again, thought, presented through Philip is in some ways reminiscent of my own and that of others I've known in seeking a path in their early 20s. Granted, I didn't have a trust fund, but I owned a car and do remember well traveling around with a camera and skateboard, experiencing women and art, heroes quickly crushed. I've got about 1/3 left to read and hope to be done soon. No spoilers please
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3415 on: January 09, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
A hero of our time, mikhail lermontov. Jawns like 200 ish years old an it's fuckin on point. It's real short an maybe a lil cheesy but it's pretty sick, there's duels in it, innit.
Whoa. Danger.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3416 on: January 09, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »
I've been working my way slowly through Alexander Cockburn's Corruptions of Empire which is mostly a collection of magazine stories, personal vignettes and diary entries starting in the 1950s when Alex was in private school in Ireland through to the Reagan years ending in 1987 when the book was published. Alex was a socialist and a journalist with a very British sensibility. I would compare him to Hunter S Thompson, very biting in his take on American politics and politicians, but a lot less unhinged and drug addled. Topics range from discussions of the virtues of French cooking vs English cooking, the preservation of Miami's Art Deco district, the CIA's funding of death squads in El Salvador, PG Wodehouse's time in America when he wrote most of his famous books, to the concept of political punditry. It's all very informative, but it never feels like a slog as Cockburn peppers everything with his distinct British humor.

Here is a practical proposal to you. Discuss the basic facts of the oppression of the Palestinians by Israel as much as you can and going right down to the basics of the racism of everyday. Point out the obvious contradiction between what the majority of American Jews demand for themselves in the USA, and what they defend in Israel. Do not be intimidated in the struggle against racism and for human dignity, equality and freedom, by any demagoguery about peace and democracy, if they are used in the cause of discrimination, and perhaps the words of the prophet (Amos 5:15) will come true : 'Hate the evil and love the good and establish judgement in the gate, it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.'

And another excerpt on how his father (himself a famous communist writer in the early 20th century) would deal with debt collectors.

Early in life in Ireland i learned to appreciate the color of the envelopes containing the day's mail. White envelopes were good. Brown ones weren't and my father would leave them up on the mantelpiece unopened. Over the months they would gradually get demoted from this high station to his study and then to the bottom drawer of a desk in his study. We would all laugh heartily over the form letter to creditors my father threatened to send: 'Dear Sir, I am in receipt of your fourth communication regarding my outstanding account. Let me explain how I pay my bills. I throw them all into a large basket. Each year I stir the basket with a stick, take out four bills and pay them. One more letter from you and you're out of the game.'

It's a joy to read and because the book is mostly a collection of little stories and excerpts you can read a little bit a day.

This sounds great.

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #3417 on: January 09, 2021, 11:12:49 AM »
Reading The Gulag Archipelago, written by a prisoner in the Soviet Union. Hard to read but really good. It’s the book that flipped a lot of Soviet sympathetic thinkers against the Soviet Union.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #3418 on: January 09, 2021, 11:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This sounds great.

It is, i now own all three of his major works, the aforementioned Corruptions of Empire, the Golden Age is Within Us and A Colossal Wreck, which is his final book written up until his untimely death from cancer in 2014

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3419 on: January 10, 2021, 05:37:25 PM »
On a pulpy, LA, novels-from-1939 kick this week:

Don't have these editions, of course. Both titles are great. I especially recommend the West, though. Really remarkable.