Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717519 times)

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #810 on: June 30, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
I'm mostly doing photo work these days, because people ask me ... no inspiration at all right now. anyway, here is some stuff from the last weeks. which I personally dislike very much - I'm in a mid career crisis

Shit man, I know you're always your own worst judge and your photos always seem the lamest to yourself, but those are actually really sick.

I'm sleeping on the photo work a bit since I ruined 2 rolls of film by dropping my camera and thus opening it twice wich ruined 2 rolls of film. (a couple of pictures of wich I had "high" expectations got ruined) But I've got some stuff ready in about 3 weeks. I'm going on a 2 week trip to France

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #811 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #812 on: July 05, 2010, 06:45:15 PM »
This website has always had some sick photography: http://riotclitshave.livejournal.com/

It used to not have all that advertising but you know how these things go.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #813 on: July 05, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

There is lightning in the clouds

lazy

• formerly lazy bars
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • A Man is Nothing Without Himself
« Reply #814 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
I don't have any photos, but I love coming to this thread because I am really excited to start doing some photography myself. The whole no camera and no funds to get one is holding me back, but I really envy all of the work in this thread. Some Good ass shit. Props to all. And... When I do get a camera... Any recommendations?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: July 05, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
I don't have any photos, but I love coming to this thread because I am really excited to start doing some photography myself. The whole no camera and no funds to get one is holding me back, but I really envy all of the work in this thread. Some Good ass shit. Props to all. And... When I do get a camera... Any recommendations?

If you want to get a DSLR, get a Canon Rebel T2i. I think it is the best beginner camera in the market. I've played with the Nikon D5000 (Nikon competitor) and was unimpressed with it. The T2i is a great camera and just after that, invest in some lenses and you should be good to go.

I know the feeling though with the no funds thing. It can be tough, but just save or rob some fools and you'll get your camera sooner then you think.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -369
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #816 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you want to get a DSLR, get a Canon Rebel T2i. I think it is the best beginner camera in the market. I've played with the Nikon D5000 (Nikon competitor) and was unimpressed with it. The T2i is a great camera and just after that, invest in some lenses and you should be good to go.

I know the feeling though with the no funds thing. It can be tough, but just save or rob some fools and you'll get your camera sooner then you think.
T2i is dope, everyone I know who has one loves it. Honestly, if you're serious about photography, I'd recommend learning on film before you venture into digital. But if it's just a hobby, by all means go with digital.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #817 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »
posted this photo in the Slap Flickr group:

Jaasir Linger - nollie heelflip into the bank

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »
couple recent snaps.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #819 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm on the verge of getting a T2i.  really really want one.  i'm interested in it for bumping up my photo work, but also interested in the high speed video capabilities (which not too many digital cameras have).   higher frame rates that is

is there another Canon that's above the T2i that has more stuff to make it worth spending the money, or is the T2 pretty much all you need?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #820 on: July 06, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
more local street art

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'm on the verge of getting a T2i.  really really want one.  i'm interested in it for bumping up my photo work, but also interested in the high speed video capabilities (which not too many digital cameras have).   higher frame rates that is

is there another Canon that's above the T2i that has more stuff to make it worth spending the money, or is the T2 pretty much all you need?

The Canon 7D is the next best thing before you get into the full frame department like the Mark 2. Same good video as the T2i but just way better at shooting low light shots cause the ISO is better. The only thing it is almost twice the amount as the T2i. Still, if you have the money, it is the best crop frame that Canon has. It even has a built in sync flash which is perfect for shooting skate shots and also shoots about 8 frames per second also.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #822 on: July 07, 2010, 02:40:14 AM »
oh fuck, didn't realize you guys actually made my idea real! hook me up with an invite! thanks!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:51:41 AM by vihreekerma »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #823 on: July 11, 2010, 04:59:29 AM »
nice one!

I think I'm getting a polaroid back and a flash meter for my hassy instead of a digital camera. fits myself better I think. but it makes it harder to work for money ... fuck it.

project impossible offers 100 films for a nice price, mostly b/w but they seem rad. mhhhh, looking forward to it.

edit: my set up will kinda look like this. although I have awesome sex these days, I can say that this is something that let's my dick grow for a couple of cm's

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:16:01 AM by Matze »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #824 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:32 AM »

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:44:40 AM by Mr Fongstarr »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #825 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
Got myself a Pentax Kx about a month ago, first real camera, the fun/learning experience is pretty incredible. i don´t expect any money out of it, it´s just a hobby for myself. it seems as if you develop something similar to that "skateboarding view", where you see spots everywhere. now i see spots and pictures everywhere. love it.

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #826 on: July 15, 2010, 02:12:55 AM »
I just uploaded a few photos on to the SLAP PALS flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/1490676@N22/

Ishod Wair

Lance Mountain

My buddy Bugra ollies over the chain in Istanbul, Turkey

Sabri Can beanplant fakie @ Alçak skatepark Istanbul, Turkey

Murat fs smiths an outdoor 'skatepark' ledge in Izmir, Turkey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daydreamerhq/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:14:27 AM by Derk the Jerk »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #827 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:57 AM »
Some pics from a Rappin' 4-Tay concert:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -369
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #828 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
Some new-ish photos.

fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #829 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

Not my crew, I swear!
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: July 15, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
came home from a family trip to poland ... that's my grandpa.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #831 on: July 15, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #832 on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:31 AM »

sick!

there seem to be a lot of medium format users here, maybe someone can give me some advice. 

I'm currently using a RB 67 system, which isn't very portable or user friendly.  More often that not, I find myself missing shots because a lock has not clicked in properly, and it gets too much notice because of its size.  I'm looking for a medium format camera that's light and easy to carry around, preferably square format, and with a prism AE finder, to take a bit of landscape and street photography. 

So far I'm looking at the Bronica SQ-A, or the ETRS (which looks lighter and less conspicuous).

Has anybody used either of these cameras before?  Any recommendations for something else? 
I do have a bit of a limited budget, otherwise would try aim for a Mamiya 645 AFD. 

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: July 16, 2010, 05:41:12 AM »
the bronica sq-a seems nice. there are also mamyia press and fuji 645 models ( http://www.dantestella.com/technical/ga645.html) that are lighter and more easy to use.

I'm using a hasselblad 500cm and I have to say it's wonderful camera, especially with a 150mm on it. but I'm mostly into taking portraits and other stuff, that doesn't move quickly.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #834 on: July 16, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
Two point and shoots...

Chuck... what's the story with that wheel? How'd it get that ugly on more than one side? Shit's insane!

edit: the pics here are shrunk down by about 50 pixels via the forum
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:02:25 AM by grimcity »

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #835 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »
Mindblowingly good pics in this thread.

Kudos to Matze, Loophole, Snickers dude, Derk the Jerk, Mooley and all the guys I forgot (almost forgot Chuck D). Yeah, Fongstarr to.

I started taking my first photos ever like two months ago, so this is all a bit new, but I've been trying to chug down as much info as I can.

However, I have a few questions to the guys mentioned, if you'd take the time to answer 'em.

Right now I'm only shooting film, but I'm uncertain how much I should edit the photos. I have two rules. Color stays color, and B&W is B&W (obviously), and no croping. But I must admit that I do use curves, levels, some brightness contrast, adjustment layers (selective colors) and stuff like that. I'm uncertain though if I really need to adjust the photos that much, or if I feel like I need to use all these tools I have in front of me. Also unccertain about my calibration-

Registered on flickr and threw out some random test photos (original and edits), hoping you guys would mention if you found the editing to be unnecessary. http://www.flickr.com/photos/danskjaeve/

I'd want to be able to do as little as possible eventualy. Could some of you guys mention what sort of editing you do to your photos? I know some of you mentioned it before, but would be nice if you could do it again. I'm also curious as to what you do to your digitals fongstarr?

And sometimes you guys have blue, yellow, red-toned photos. Is it the film, filter, lighting or editing that creates this effect?

Sorry for the rambling, but hopefully that'll be all for a while

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #836 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
Two point and shoots...

Chuck... what's the story with that wheel? How'd it get that ugly on more than one side? Shit's insane!

edit: the pics here are shrunk down by about 50 pixels via the forum

Not really sure, a kid came into Cowtown with two wheels that looked like that, and two that looked fine.  He said he just skates in his driveway.  When he brought the board in, one was on the front truck and one was on the back, but I'm pretty sure they were both on the back; he had razor tail on only one side like he does flatground blunts all day.  His dad mentioned his attention deficiency.

If you're into point and shoots, (best photos come from the camera you always have on you) I recommend the Canon s90.

Small, f2, shoots raw, full control - there's a ring around the lens to adjust aperture, and a dial on the back for shutter...
There's no hot shoe, but the on camera flash has a wide output range that you can also control.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_s90

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #837 on: July 16, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

your wide angle shots are always really dope, what mm lens is this?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #838 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
^^^^Thanks dude. I shoot with a Nikon D90 and that was taken with a 10.5mm Nikon Fisheye. Love the lens and shoot with it over 50% of the time. Just sharp and takes in color really well. Actually, that night shot I think would have been better if it wasn't as distorted, but I couldn't really capture the stars with my other lenses

Mindblowingly good pics in this thread.

Kudos to Matze, Loophole, Snickers dude, Derk the Jerk, Mooley and all the guys I forgot (almost forgot Chuck D). Yeah, Fongstarr to.

I started taking my first photos ever like two months ago, so this is all a bit new, but I've been trying to chug down as much info as I can.

However, I have a few questions to the guys mentioned, if you'd take the time to answer 'em.

Right now I'm only shooting film, but I'm uncertain how much I should edit the photos. I have two rules. Color stays color, and B&W is B&W (obviously), and no croping. But I must admit that I do use curves, levels, some brightness contrast, adjustment layers (selective colors) and stuff like that. I'm uncertain though if I really need to adjust the photos that much, or if I feel like I need to use all these tools I have in front of me. Also unccertain about my calibration-

Registered on flickr and threw out some random test photos (original and edits), hoping you guys would mention if you found the editing to be unnecessary. http://www.flickr.com/photos/danskjaeve/

I'd want to be able to do as little as possible eventualy. Could some of you guys mention what sort of editing you do to your photos? I know some of you mentioned it before, but would be nice if you could do it again. I'm also curious as to what you do to your digitals fongstarr?

And sometimes you guys have blue, yellow, red-toned photos. Is it the film, filter, lighting or editing that creates this effect?

Sorry for the rambling, but hopefully that'll be all for a while

Well as for me, is a pretty simple process.They call can change depending on the photo but usually it goes like this:

- crop image if need be
- change image to 700pixels for web use
- sharpen photo
- mess with the levels. I usually like to get real deep blacks and real bright whites in my photos.
- then I fix the white balance if need be using color balance
- then I mess with the color select option and boots any more colors out of the image that needs to be pushed. I usually mess with the blacks some more and make the whites even stick out more if I can.

It's kind of a lengthy process at first but you get used to it after a while. I am that nontraditional and use the tools that are given that are out there. I know in photography class, photoshop should be restricted but I am shooting with digital cameras and feel like they should be messed with since it is not film. There are even some filters I use that have been good for me to achieve the antiqued look. I forgot where I downloaded it but it's a nice tool to have to get images like these:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #839 on: July 16, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Also......if you are into a lot of process digital photos, check out this guy that does wedding photography in Hawaii:

http://shawnstarrphotography.squarespace.com/

The dude has some very nice stuff.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin