Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717521 times)

chuck d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #930 on: August 16, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think that the advent of digital photography and especially the super cameras that are being made today have made photography bland because there are no more problems.  People no longer have to overcome the basic problems of and therefore never think about exposure, focus, shutter speed vs aperture etc because their camera does it all for them.  This is making the act of photography much less of a craft.  I've been going to the darkroom to make prints and it's not easy to accept that you have taken an imperfect photograph after putting work into it.  Many people simply aren't willing to put actual work and thought into the art of photography any more.  In my estimation at least... 
[close]
true, but good digital photography is distinguishable from the bad, and while cameras can do everything automatically, shooting manually and knowing what you're doing makes a big difference. for example, even hot digi cameras don't know what you're specifically exposing for in a frame, whereas metering a subject, manually entering your digits always comes out with better images.
[close]
i agree with this.  it shouldn't matter what it took to get there it's the photo that matters.  and the imagination of the photographer..  not to mention that, developing aside, it can be just as difficult to get a photo with a digital camera as with a film camera, and just as much work. 

it seems like whenever there are big technical advances in technology for the arts there are always people who are resistant, and insist the old way is more pure etc..     but i think most people, eventually, are happy to have better tools at their disposal, to help them do what they're trying to do.

the same thing happened when film editing went from actually splicing film to editing on computers.  a lot of people thought the computer stuff was bullshit..  nowadays you'd be hardpressed to find anyone editing on film, except for maybe a small handfull or experimental art projec type stuff..    things that took days to do can now be done in seconds, and undone in seconds..    any filmmaker who was around in the film editing days will tell you that they'd prefer not to go back

I'm not really anti-technology.  The S90 I mentioned is a digital point and shoot with an aperture ring around the lens and a shutter dial on the back...

In that interview, Lundgren goes on to say...
"First off, I am not a luddite. Much of my work is heavily altered in the computer as well as the darkroom. In a sense, directorial photography has been steadily supplanting what Paul Graham calls analytical photography, which is what I do. And much directorial photography and digital compositing (directorial�s newest agency) is so seamlessly crafted in intent and message that it is often indistinguishable from the world of fashion and advertising. I don�t believe that technology alone will lead to an expansion of what photography is. . . ."
And I agree with that.  I shoot with my S90 every day without any guilt that I'm not exposing any silver.  But it's like Robert Adams said, "Pictures should look like they were easily taken.  Otherwise beauty in the world is made to seem elusive and rare, which it is not."  And as Nicholas Nixon said, "Each successful photograph balances content with form and truth with aspect, using a solution unique to itself.  While describing something that matters with clarity, economy and force seems to be photography's perennial aesthetic, how this comes about remains for most a private and, for the most part, intuitive matter.  The best photographs are transparent, sensual, intelligent, fulfilled, freshly arrived, enduring and, in the deepest sense, are of the world."

I'm not into cyanotypes or van dykes or gum bichromates or any 19th century process.   But when I see some Atiba over-sharpen-tool'd shit, it's as disgusting to me as CGI.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:28:05 PM by chuck d »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #931 on: August 16, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
That Atiba hate (me included) only seems to be on is Es art direction. I think I expressed it on some post a while back but his HRD processing was just disgusting.

On the other hand, I really dig Atiba's portrait photos for the Active catalog. Maybe cause I am so bad with portraits but I found them to be nice. Wish I had hi-res ones but this is all I found:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:26:36 PM by Mr Fongstarr »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -369
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #932 on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »
One of the big problems with modern photography is attempting to learn with a digital camera. A kid is going to shoot a photo, and he'll say to himself "I'll just torrent photoshop when I get home and fix it." While photo editing is a must, you can't just go out, snap a photo and expect to make it perfect with editing software. People aren't learning some of the core fundamentals of photography, such as lighting, exposure, composition. What ends up happening is you get a severely under-exposed photo where half the subject is cropped out and the photographer thinks its acceptable. When you shoot with film, you need to take everything into account because their is no option to delete. If you don't do everything proper, you'll be mighty disappointed with the result. I guess what I'm trying to say is, learning on digital seems to be creating this lazy nature in the future photographers of the world.

Chris Cole Kid, I've been shooting for 8 years, and there's so much I have yet to learn, so any constructive criticism I receive gets taken in stride and I apply to my work. I'd listen to any criticism or advice Matze has to give, as he is one of the best photographers on this forum.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #933 on: August 16, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »
One of the big problems with modern photography is attempting to learn with a digital camera. A kid is going to shoot a photo, and he'll say to himself "I'll just torrent photoshop when I get home and fix it." While photo editing is a must, you can't just go out, snap a photo and expect to make it perfect with editing software. People aren't learning some of the core fundamentals of photography, such as lighting, exposure, composition. What ends up happening is you get a severely under-exposed photo where half the subject is cropped out and the photographer thinks its acceptable. When you shoot with film, you need to take everything into account because their is no option to delete. If you don't do everything proper, you'll be mighty disappointed with the result. I guess what I'm trying to say is, learning on digital seems to be creating this lazy nature in the future photographers of the world.

Chris Cole Kid, I've been shooting for 8 years, and there's so much I have yet to learn, so any constructive criticism I receive gets taken in stride and I apply to my work. I'd listen to any criticism or advice Matze has to give, as he is one of the best photographers on this forum.

On a flip side to that, I learned so much through shooting digital that when it came to understanding a film camera, it came quite easier then expected. Not to say I captured some top notch film shots but I am sure I didn't have to go through that much trial and error if I didn't use a DSLR in the first place.

But I believe learning both film and digital is a perfect marriage to get whatever shot you need. I am sure both have their pros and cons and you can just pick whatever one suites the occasion.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -369
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #934 on: August 16, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

On a flip side to that, I learned so much through shooting digital that when it came to understanding a film camera, it came quite easier then expected. Not to say I captured some top notch film shots but I am sure I didn't have to go through that much trial and error if I didn't use a DSLR in the first place.

But I believe learning both film and digital is a perfect marriage to get whatever shot you need. I am sure both have their pros and cons and you can just pick whatever one suites the occasion.
Knowing how film reacts in the conditions you normally shoot will help you so much down the road. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking digital, the full frame dslr is one of the best things to happen to photography. I'm just saying, if someone is serious about photography, learning on film is the best way.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

hasselbladical

• Rep: 55
« Reply #935 on: August 16, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
I wish Atiba would go back to his Hasselblad (non digi) and making fucking rad prints like this:

Nowadays, I see a lot of bullshit get published. Like, really shitty photos that would never make it in if it weren't for a big name or the hottest am. It's kind of a bummer but that's how the industry works. It makes the good guys stand out though so I suppose that's a nice part about it.

Flipping through old mags is the best- less prone to bullshit photos because everyone shot film and made sure they knew what the fuck they were doing before they tried to shoot little Johnny's bs lip.

There are a lot of dudes doing digital right though (look at Gaberman as the most popular example) so that gets me stoked. I'm trying to embrace it and saving for a D700. Full frame is just so tempting. My 2000fcw will always be my love though. Too bad it's jammed right now and won't advance. I'm clueless as to why. Fuck.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #936 on: August 16, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
Gaberman is good.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #937 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
I'm not necessarily trying to knock digital photography either.  In many ways it could be much better to learn how to take photographs on a digital camera.  It's cheaper than wasting a bunch of film and you get instant feedback etc. but it's hard to get motivated to learn anything when you don't have to.  Learning on an analog film camera actually makes you use your brain(or at least much more so) because the camera is not going to solve the problems for you.  All of the same possibilities and more are available on a nice digital camera but most would rather go for the instant gratification of getting a shot that is in focus and decent lighting rather than think about where you want the focus to be and how the lighting to be.

I shoot on film because it is a hobby and not my job.  I like being able to touch it as I work with it.  I like being able to compare my work to the photographers I look up to from yesteryear like Lee Friedlander and Robert Frank because the technology is still the same.  Not putting down digital.  Just do it right.  Though I guess that's just taste.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #938 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
sorry for the self plug but another one of my (amateur) photos got picked for this local LA blog i read.  pretty stoaked .  it's the sunrise shot

http://laist.com/2010/08/16/7_reasons_to_love_la_39.php

i know, real original.  hey, i'm experimenting with my new camera
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

VictoriousOG

« Reply #939 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
My friend James Liston with a speedy back 50-50.

My setup is a black berry curve, no flash on that one though.

Kirtap

• Rep: 15
« Reply #940 on: August 17, 2010, 03:59:41 AM »
My cousin crusing down a long hill.

At the lake.

Both were shot with my iPhone, using the app MoreLomo. Starting to like that app!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:04:33 AM by Kirtap »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
These shots suck but just posting to post stuff from this weekend. I was in Oakland to check out the Pixar exhibit.

Got this book there.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

loophole

« Reply #942 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
Gaberman is good.

gaberman is one of my heroes. it was such an honour to interview him, check it: http://mosslessmagazine.com/post/508477030/brian-gaberman

ps this photo is great! a lot of your photos are real funny, great captures. i think you'll like my buddy bobby doherty's work, he kills it:

http://www.bobbydoherty.net/

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »
Thanks, and I remember that interview, it's a good one!  Your friend has some good stuff, too.  I like the understated approach and sly humor.  His website is kind of awkward though.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #944 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I do skate photography a LOT. It actually could potentially turn into a career soon... if I get a deal with this mag out of Philly and my bro's underground board company sponsor.

Just a few of my better ones. I fucking love skate photog.
[close]

sorry to say that bro, but you're far away from being a photographer who earns money with it. the only good thing is that you don't do buttshots and you catch the right moment, but for the rest ... I can see that you know nothing about taking pictures. you have low technical skills, not a good equipment and you need to learn about light, techniques and composition. it's a long way!

take a look at skateperception, try to learn from the dudes who post there and improve your pictures! I really don't want to talk shit to you, but your pictures could do anyone with a dslr.
[close]
Considering the work that I do is with a standard Kodak digital camera and I can't afford anything else right now, Mr. Critic, I'd say it's pretty good. It's funny that you also say I'm far from earning money, when actually... I'm not... I mean I'm not Joey Shigeo and I won't be paid $2000 for a photo... but a small payroll is in order. It's not Zero or anything, but it's a small board company called Minion boards. The 'zine just just a small-time local one, not a Thrasher thing, here. You have no idea of the situation I'm in right now, so don't go acting like you do haha. I'm not trying to get defensive or anything, I'm just telling you what's up. So until I see some pictures YOU take and you show me that YOU are a better skate photographer, I'll take your advice. But it really can't be helped right now with the current equipment I have.

Sorry if that came off as really defensive and bitchy. It wasn't meant like that.
[close]
matze's criticism should be taken objectively, independent of whatever "situation" you're in right now. ? you seem to be hung up on his critique about your equipment, when you should really be concerned with what he said about your technique. ? even if you upgraded your kodak digi, the photos would still be lacking.
[close]
Updated my post. Check back and verify, please.
My technique is probably lacking here and there... I have only been photog'ing skating for about a year.
Every time I shoot for someone, I keep practicing all of the mentioned critiques.
Sorry for that, I'm too used to people on SLAP being assholes. I apologize.
Having better equipment, though, WILL help me expand my horizons and open up new ways to learn and improve is what I mean about equipment, that's all. I'm trying to save up for this really badass Nikon on eBay. It's SO underpriced for what it is, and it comes with a kit, as well. It's like $500 to $600 but is probably worth like $1200.
[close]
Whenever you get your badass ebay Nikon to start raking in the photography money, make sure you set it to P mode because P stands for pro.
[close]
haha, zing

+ seeing Chris Cole Kid call out Matze to show him photos that are better than his shows that he's obviously new here
I already cleared up the negativity. So fuck off with yours.
Cool? Cool. By the way, it's pretty obvious I am new here. Look at the number of posts. You're brilliant. Keep at it.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
You have almost as many posts as I do and I registered my current account March 7, 2008.  You registered July 20, 2010.  Just saying; maybe check the place out for a while before diving in?  Maybe shoot photos for more than one year before you hype up your upcoming career?  Maybe people won't be assholes?  Just some advice.  You seem reasonable enough, I mean you can admit when you're being sensitive which is unheard of on these boards, so that's a good sign.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #946 on: August 17, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
You have almost as many posts as I do and I registered my current account March 7, 2008.  You registered July 20, 2010.  Just saying; maybe check the place out for a while before diving in?  Maybe shoot photos for more than one year before you hype up your upcoming career?  Maybe people won't be assholes?  Just some advice.  You seem reasonable enough, I mean you can admit when you're being sensitive which is unheard of on these boards, so that's a good sign.
Looking back, including the part about a "career" of any sort probably wasn't a good idea. I got ahead of myself. It's just that skateboard photography is a huge thing in my life as far as goals and dreams. Either way, though, it's SLAP. People will be assholes at some point no matter what. It's a given. It's good to talk with people that aren't though. Some people just find it their duty to "call out" people that they don't know at all and get all holier-than-thou. It's the internet, it happens. Matze's advice is well-taken, though.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #947 on: August 17, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
bought my first prime today, a pentax 50mm f2 for 20?. pretty stoked on learning to use that one. the image quality compared to my travel-zoom is quote significant.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
Do screen shots count, or is that too post modern?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #949 on: August 17, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »
anyone see/guess what is going on in this?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:23:30 PM by ice nine »
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

loophole

« Reply #950 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
Do screen shots count, or is that too post modern?

imma post this on my blog tomorrow if you don't mind.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #951 on: August 17, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
Some double exposure a friend took of me with his Holga 120N.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »

I just this during lunch with that HDR app. Finally got one that looks HDR looking but it's over processed like a mother cause I couldn't really see my screen in the sun. Need to test it out some more on something with a little more range.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #953 on: August 21, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »
got a few rolls back

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #954 on: August 21, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
got a few rolls back

Good job man, that looks amazing.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: August 21, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #956 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
A few more from the random farm stuff. Still sitting on too much 120, hopefully I'll get some of that stuff taken care of in a week or two.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #957 on: August 22, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4899780267_5d2560c754_z.jpg

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4900396656_6b249ae767_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4900404276_0fa168b477_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4899798751_0ac50857a6_z.jpg

where are these?! looks like beautiful locations

"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: August 22, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »
first ones squamish bc canada, rest are all over guatemala, and yes they were all beautiful

Trickskatin

• Rep: 53
« Reply #959 on: August 22, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Haven't been out shooting much lately. Here's one of my favorite recent skate photos though. My friend Chris 5050ing this sketchy bar on Go Skateboarding Day.