Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 718678 times)

chuck d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #960 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #961 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #962 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »

from a test roll on a mamiya 6, right before the counter died on me.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #963 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »
very nice!

VictoriousOG

« Reply #964 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »
I'm taking Independent Study Journalism, but really we're just gonna be focusing on photography. And if I'm correct, the school is going to let me keep their Canon 20D for the whole year. So, that's pretty sick, but I might be coming in here asking for advice and shit.

loophole

« Reply #965 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »
^word

and that is pretty fuckin awesome, buttpirate. props.

hasselbladical

• Rep: 55
« Reply #966 on: August 24, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

Crook pop over.

frank

• Rep: 1
« Reply #967 on: August 24, 2010, 09:21:44 PM »
film film film! i love the feeling and process of taking, developing, and reviewing film pictures. The feeling of sitting in your car looking at the pictures you just picked up and loving them is defenitley one of my favorite feelings.
whats crappenin

Kirtap

• Rep: 15
« Reply #968 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #969 on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a fisheye lens for my Canon 30D. I'm not able to buy a new €600 or whatever one, so I checked ebay and there are multiple fisheyes for sale for like 30-60$. I don't intend on bidding on one of them since I don't really trust the quality.

So my question is, what would be a good price for a quality second hand fisheye lens ? Should I trust buying one second hand ? And am I foolish for thinking I can buy something of decent quality for €200 ?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #970 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a fisheye lens for my Canon 30D. I'm not able to buy a new ?600 or whatever one, so I checked ebay and there are multiple fisheyes for sale for like 30-60$. I don't intend on bidding on one of them since I don't really trust the quality.

So my question is, what would be a good price for a quality second hand fisheye lens ? Should I trust buying one second hand ? And am I foolish for thinking I can buy something of decent quality for ?200 ?

You'll get what you pay for. All those things on E-bay are usually circular fisheye attachments...like some lomo fisheyes. If you are into that, then by all means get it but it isn't a true fisheye. Even the cheaper fisheyes from other 3rd party companies will give you some crapy results regardless of the look. More then likely it will not be as clear, fast nor will it probably auto focus on your camera.

The only real fisheye I would recommend is the Tokina 10-17 for a crop frame Canon (next to that would be the Sigma). It's still pricey as hell but it is the cheapest and the best in the market:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #971 on: August 25, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
All taken with a medium format holga, moded to take 35mm. It has a cool effect where you can expose over the sprockets but for some reason my negative scanner was being weird and wouldnt let me scan over them.. turned out allright

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:59:37 AM by sx70 »

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #972 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a fisheye lens for my Canon 30D. I'm not able to buy a new ?600 or whatever one, so I checked ebay and there are multiple fisheyes for sale for like 30-60$. I don't intend on bidding on one of them since I don't really trust the quality.

So my question is, what would be a good price for a quality second hand fisheye lens ? Should I trust buying one second hand ? And am I foolish for thinking I can buy something of decent quality for ?200 ?

[close]

You'll get what you pay for. All those things on E-bay are usually circular fisheye attachments...like some lomo fisheyes. If you are into that, then by all means get it but it isn't a true fisheye. Even the cheaper fisheyes from other 3rd party companies will give you some crapy results regardless of the look. More then likely it will not be as clear, fast nor will it probably auto focus on your camera.

The only real fisheye I would recommend is the Tokina 10-17 for a crop frame Canon (next to that would be the Sigma). It's still pricey as hell but it is the cheapest and the best in the market:

Yeah, I know that I won't get something with great quality, I just wanted to know if it's decent enough to use. But if it's real crappy i probably just won't buy it, I was just playing with the idea a bit. I'll probably wait another year and do some working and save up to buy something decent. Probably getting a new camera first though, my 30D isn't what it used to be

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #973 on: August 25, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
What camera and brands are worth the money? Me and my girlfriend need a new camera, ours is about had it. It's super old and the picture quality is only good on close ups. We are not photographers, we just need a camera for our trip next year. I wanna stay below $450. A good battery life is also a plus.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #974 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
What camera and brands are worth the money? Me and my girlfriend need a new camera, ours is about had it. It's super old and the picture quality is only good on close ups. We are not photographers, we just need a camera for our trip next year. I wanna stay below $450. A good battery life is also a plus.

Anything from Canon is good. Do you want a DSLR? You can get old models for about your price range like the Canon XTi or XS. They just came out with the Canon S95 which is a small point a shoot that shoots HD video and has manual features like a DSLR. Of course it doesn't shoot nearly as good but it's one of the better point and shoots out there.

Product Features

* 10.0-megapixel sensor combined with the DIGIC 4 Image Processor creates Canon's HS System
    * Capture 720p HD video in stereo sound; play back on an HDTV via the HDMI output
    * f/2.0 lens for low light conditions or shallow depth-of-field; control ring for intuitive manual control
    * 3.8x optical zoom; 28mm wide-angle lens; Canon's Hybrid IS to compensate for angular and shift camera shake
    * Capture images to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (not included)

$400 retail

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S95-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNGS

Also there is the Canon G12 which hasn't been released or announced but it got leaked. Pretty much the Canon S95 on steroids:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:09:10 PM by Mr Fongstarr »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #975 on: August 25, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the help. I think a DSLR is too high tech and big for what we will us it for it. I had a customer at my old job that cool was shit, he brought in a DSLR, Canon Rebel I believe, and it was just too hard to get the hang of all the features. The Canon S95 sounds better and would suit our needs...it is also in the price range too.  Do you have an idea how much the G12 is gonna go for?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #976 on: August 25, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
that g12 seems like a nice camera and I'm not even a fan of digital.

jildo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
« Reply #977 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
I finally got my hands on some Polaroid. Too bad they're developing horribly:

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
^^^^Whoa....those Polaroids game out pink when you shot them?

Thanks for the help. I think a DSLR is too high tech and big for what we will us it for it. I had a customer at my old job that cool was shit, he brought in a DSLR, Canon Rebel I believe, and it was just too hard to get the hang of all the features. The Canon S95 sounds better and would suit our needs...it is also in the price range too.  Do you have an idea how much the G12 is gonna go for?

The G12 should be $499. I had a G9 back in the days before my DSLR and it was ok. Don't expect to shoot quality crisp low lit photos. By the end of it, the G9 was still a point and shoot. Plus the size of the G9 or even the G12 is kind of pain. It's smaller then a DSLR (which is why people buy it mores o then anything) but you still need a case or a strap for it cause it can't fit in your average size pocket. The S95 is more user friendly in that sense and now that it shoots HD video, I think it's perfect for all around use for the price. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

jildo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
« Reply #979 on: August 25, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »
Yeah. Those were scanned right afterwards with no editing.

It's kind of a cool "effect", but at the same time I was hoping for more.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #980 on: August 25, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
The only real differences between the S95 and the g12 is that the g12 has a slightly larger lens and a hotshoe.  If that's what you need, then you may want a dslr.  If not, then I'd stick with the S95 for the fact that you can easily and inconspicuously carry it with you anywhere.  you can't really put the g12 in your pocket.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: August 25, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll most likely get the S95 it seems to fit our needs and wants more. I would have to buy a case since we are traveling. How's the battery life on it?

Do they still make Polaroid cameras? I heard that they do and don't.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #982 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
I read the Canon S90 had a pretty average battery life. Expect to see it drain within the day if you shoot all day. I think the manual says about 225 shots per charge. Some people have said to shoot off about 300 but expect to see a range from 200-300 shots. The main thing that drains the battery is the LCD screen. Whether you are just looking at your photos, that damn screen will be the main cause of your battery dying. I guess just get a backup battery and you should be ok.

The G12 should be about the same or worse. I used my G9 casually at a wedding and it died on me around midday. It was a total piece of shit cause I didn't take any shots of the wedding later.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #983 on: August 25, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
sx70, those holga shots are sick.  i like the first one a lot.

hasselbladical

« Reply #984 on: August 25, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
The G series of Canon's are really good. f/2.8 lens and full manual settings which is dope for a "point and shoot".

I guess I can post this too.

Switch heel.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #985 on: August 25, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
I read the Canon S90 had a pretty average battery life. Expect to see it drain within the day if you shoot all day. I think the manual says about 225 shots per charge. Some people have said to shoot off about 300 but expect to see a range from 200-300 shots. The main thing that drains the battery is the LCD screen. Whether you are just looking at your photos, that damn screen will be the main cause of your battery dying. I guess just get a backup battery and you should be ok.

The G12 should be about the same or worse. I used my G9 casually at a wedding and it died on me around midday. It was a total piece of shit cause I didn't take any shots of the wedding later.
I have a G10 and I really like it.  The only bummer is that the built in flash is pretty much useless in my opinion.

Here's a shot that I took with it in March though:

As far as the battery life goes, I usually just turn it off and on constantly.  I miss some random shots, but the battery lasts a little longer though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #986 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
The G series of Canon's are really good. f/2.8 lens and full manual settings which is dope for a "point and shoot".

S90/S95 have f2.

hasselbladical

« Reply #987 on: August 25, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
Really? Well, damn.

leadpencil

• Rep: 18
« Reply #988 on: August 25, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
A polaroid of my friend, before film started getting way pricey.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:31:49 PM by leadpencil »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #989 on: August 26, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
Shit I was curious today and saw that a pack was $80. Incredibly ridiculous.