Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 719046 times)

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #1440 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »
a picture of my grandparents from christmas evening.

its pretty much ooc, i guess i?m gonna play around with it a bit and then print it out. i havent got any pictures of them.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1441 on: January 21, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
been surfing a lot and documenting it.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1442 on: January 21, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »

Ran into Jon Humphries site. Some good stuff in there: http://www.jonhumphries.com/
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #1443 on: January 21, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
took a couple shots of my mate juggling

John Baldessari!

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1444 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1445 on: January 23, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
Quick question, i was talking to my teacher about my next project and i suggested multiple exposures, and he said in order to get any real credit for a film project you need to develop the film yourself to burn /dodge etc. This got me thinking, I just recently acquired an AX1 and have shot 3 rolls of colour film, and i hear it is a lot more complicated to develop colour film than black and white film, should i get them developed at a store (my original intention) or work out how to develop them myself?

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1446 on: January 23, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
Quick question, i was talking to my teacher about my next project and i suggested multiple exposures, and he said in order to get any real credit for a film project you need to develop the film yourself to burn /dodge etc. This got me thinking, I just recently acquired an AX1 and have shot 3 rolls of colour film, and i hear it is a lot more complicated to develop colour film than black and white film, should i get them developed at a store (my original intention) or work out how to develop them myself?

My personal opinion would be to develop it at a store. Find someone cheap, and as long as they take proper care of their chemicals/machine, you should be fine. 

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1447 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »

i cannot understand that picture. explanation please?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #1448 on: January 23, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Been thinking about getting a Pentax K-r but i only got my sony NEX-3 a year ago, dont know if i should get it yet...

any opinions?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1449 on: January 23, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
well, i am a pentaxian, i?ve got the kx. one thing that you?ll have to get used to when using pentax is that a lot of canon/nikon guys will not take you seriously, especially if you use the extraordinaire prime lenses. pentax tends to build its products smaller than most other producers, and most people think that a small lens means crappy lens. one thing that i also love is that you can use all their old, manual lenses on the new bodies, an A50/1.7 costs literally nothing and is such an awesome lens to play with total manual controls.

anyway, i usually try to avoid talking like that. go to pentaxforums.com if you want to inform yourself about that great camera and pentax lenses, people there are very helpful.

last words: make up your own mind about pentax, if everyone would be buying the 2 market-leaders, people wouldnt be driving that many different cars, would they?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1450 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
well, i am a pentaxian, i?ve got the kx. one thing that you?ll have to get used to when using pentax is that a lot of canon/nikon guys will not take you seriously, especially if you use the extraordinaire prime lenses. pentax tends to build its products smaller than most other producers, and most people think that a small lens means crappy lens. one thing that i also love is that you can use all their old, manual lenses on the new bodies, an A50/1.7 costs literally nothing and is such an awesome lens to play with total manual controls.

anyway, i usually try to avoid talking like that. go to pentaxforums.com if you want to inform yourself about that great camera and pentax lenses, people there are very helpful.

last words: make up your own mind about pentax, if everyone would be buying the 2 market-leaders, people wouldnt be driving that many different cars, would they?

yeah ive looked at loads of reviews and they seem great, im now thinking wether to get the k-r or the k-x as there doesnt seem to be much difference except the price, is it reasonabley easy to use?

also, do you have to use AA batteries?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:01:04 PM by finknoos »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1451 on: January 23, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
one thing i love about my kx is that its smaller than most other dslrs, which i love for travelling, especially if you use a pentax prime lens. the controls are really intuitive, i like them. of course, you?ll have to remember that its still a "entry-level" dslr, but i must say that it will take me a long time until i reach its limits.

what might be from interest to you would be getting a K7 used or new, since the new K5 is out now, prices are dropping. this would be a really awesome camera, and more than 1 class over the kx/kr. but lowlight (=high iso) performance of the kx and kr are better than k7.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1452 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »

i cannot understand that picture. explanation please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining
On Thursday I gave an artist presentation to a small portraiture class at Prescott College and by the time I packed up my stuff and walked outside, one of the students had already set up his rope and was walking back and forth with a giant knee brace on.  In that photo he is doing a one armed handstand.  Apparently he is professional, whatever that means.

TheFreshSC

« Reply #1453 on: January 23, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1454 on: January 24, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »

Thanks for the advice, i have now ordered the K-r model and it should be arriving tomorrow  ;D so stoked

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1455 on: January 24, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the advice, i have now ordered the K-r model and it should be arriving tomorrow  ;D so stoked

sick, looking forward to your photos. just test it for Frontfocus asap, seems to be going around with many brands nowadays.

i just purchased this (hopefully) fine lens: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-35mm-F2.8-Limited-Macro-Lens.html

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the advice, i have now ordered the K-r model and it should be arriving tomorrow? ? ;D so stoked
[close]

sick, looking forward to your photos. just test it for Frontfocus asap, seems to be going around with many brands nowadays.

i just purchased this (hopefully) fine lens: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-35mm-F2.8-Limited-Macro-Lens.html

sorry if i sound like a goon but whats frontfocus? (edit: dont worry ive looked it up)

and on a seperate note, while researching the camera i read loads of stuff about the improved auto-focus which led me to think... who actually uses autofocus?? i always always manual focus (unless im at parties just taking snaps)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:03:11 AM by finknoos »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1457 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
its when the camera sets the focus in front of the desired object... so for example you take a picture of a ruler and try to focus on the 2 inch mark (or whatever you crazy non-metric guys use, a magic stick or whatever), the camera confirms the right focus, but its sharp at 1 1/2 inch.

of course, backfocus would be the exact opposite.

there are some quick tests for that, some advice can be found here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103586-need-help-regarding-back-front-focus-test.html

they also have a special forum for all things Kr, pretty nice.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1458 on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »
its when the camera sets the focus in front of the desired object... so for example you take a picture of a ruler and try to focus on the 2 inch mark (or whatever you crazy non-metric guys use, a magic stick or whatever), the camera confirms the right focus, but its sharp at 1 1/2 inch.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103586-need-help-regarding-back-front-focus-test.html

cheers man thank you very much, id gnar you if i could but i cant so take this instead.. +1 internets
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:18:56 AM by finknoos »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1459 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

cheers man thank you very much, id ghar you if i could but i cant so take this instead.. +1 internets

one can never have enough internets.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1460 on: January 24, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: January 25, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

cheers man thank you very much, id gnar you if i could but i cant so take this instead.. +1 internets
[close]

one can never have enough internets.

its allready arrived in the post!! stoked, heres a couple of test images, still getting used to it though

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:35:47 AM by finknoos »

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1462 on: January 25, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
More black and white help needed, sorry. I promised my mum i would take pictures for her on Christmas and have just got round to selecting some and editing them. I started with this one and i liked the way it looked just selecting the book, and all is fine but the fucking arm in the foreground, it just doesn't look right. Just give me opinions on how to alter it, i've been trying for a while.

sx70

• Rep: 37
« Reply #1463 on: January 25, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #1465 on: January 26, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »

fellow slapper Brandon.  don't know how to resize...
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1466 on: January 26, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
Stoked on that, it's always nice when a lurker actually adds to a photo instead of taking away from it.

I'm hoping to have some stuff to post soon, it's been hard to get motivated to shoot in the never-ending gray winter.

TheFreshSC

« Reply #1467 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
excellent photo, frisco! er, i mean, nosferatu

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1468 on: January 27, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
sorry if its too big, forgot to resize it

Diego

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1469 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
pretty shitty photo...you focused on it's forehead feathers?

ha
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:59:53 AM by Diego »