Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717434 times)

The Worst News Bear

Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #2160 on: August 08, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #2161 on: August 08, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Jakelous

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2162 on: August 08, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
good shit caddy!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2163 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
good shit caddy!
Thanks!

Has anyone here used an Epson V500 for scanning negatives? I've been thinking about getting one so any opinions would be much appreciated.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Jakelous

« Reply #2164 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
yeah i use an epson v300 and i like it a lot, the quality isnt outstanding but its super easy to use. im sure the v500 is just nicer

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2165 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
yeah i use an epson v300 and i like it a lot, the quality isnt outstanding but its super easy to use. im sure the v500 is just nicer
Sweet, I'm not looking for anything amazing, just something that does an alright job at an alright price. I have too many 120 negatives just lying around unscanned.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2166 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »

All good shots on their own, but I especially like the flow of the sequence from 4 to 9.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2167 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »
Hey guys, got a question...

Ive got a pentax k1000 and ive read that to turn off the light meter you simply put the lens cap on, but this doesnt seem to be working and unless i remove the battery the light meter is permanently on and wasting energy. Any one got an idea of how to remedy this?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2168 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
with my pentax me-super i just put the mode-dial on "lock", and after like 15-20 seconds the light-meter is off.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2169 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »
with my pentax me-super i just put the mode-dial on "lock", and after like 15-20 seconds the light-meter is off.

fuck, i dont have a mode dial, its always full manual, just an aperture ring and shutterspeed dial

also stlind - check your inbox
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:45:05 AM by finknoos »

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #2170 on: August 09, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »

Ive got a pentax k1000 and ive read that to turn off the light meter you simply put the lens cap on, but this doesnt seem to be working and unless i remove the battery the light meter is permanently on and wasting energy. Any one got an idea of how to remedy this?

the light meter on K1000's do only turn on if there is some kind of measurable amount of light coming through the lens, so putting the lens cap should be the only way to turn it off. I'm a little confused how you can even tell that its still on if you've put the cap on, I mean, doesn't it look pitch black thru your viewfinder? you shouldn't even be able to see the needle, nevermind if its still making light measurement adjustments.
@idealhandmades

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2171 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:15 PM »
aaaah, needle, my me-super has led-indicators. i have been told that they are the future!

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2172 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
Went to some crazy SF art show for this guy named Lush at Upperplayground. He brought out some strippers from the Lusty Lady and had a whole peep show with his hand painted art on them. It was pretty interesting needless to say.

Those strippers need to lay off the cheeseburgers!

Great photos as always dude, always like the use of your wide angle

Jakelous

« Reply #2173 on: August 10, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2174 on: August 10, 2011, 01:58:32 AM »
I'm sorry if I have already posted some of these. Old and some newer ones.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2175 on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the light meter on K1000's do only turn on if there is some kind of measurable amount of light coming through the lens, so putting the lens cap should be the only way to turn it off. I'm a little confused how you can even tell that its still on if you've put the cap on, I mean, doesn't it look pitch black thru your viewfinder? you shouldn't even be able to see the needle, nevermind if its still making light measurement adjustments.

basically the only way that i know is that i bought a new battery for it, by the end of the day the battery was dead, so it looks like it was doing readings all day.

also if i look through the viewfinder (as you said) its completley black, then if i take the lens cap off while still looking through the viewfinder the needle moves up from the very bottom of the scale (as if it was measuring darkness) into the middle roughly

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2176 on: August 10, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

basically the only way that i know is that i bought a new battery for it, by the end of the day the battery was dead, so it looks like it was doing readings all day.

also if i look through the viewfinder (as you said) its completley black, then if i take the lens cap off while still looking through the viewfinder the needle moves up from the very bottom of the scale (as if it was measuring darkness) into the middle roughly

nah, if its at the very bottom of the scale, that means its not measure any light and it's off. I mean, where do you expect the needle to go when you have the cap on? just vanish?
and if its returning roughly to the middle when you take the cap off, then you still have some juice left.
In fact, I think i remember when my battery would run out that the needle would be suck in the middle even with the cap on.
So long as yours is still dipping to the bottom when you cap it up, you should still have power.

my guess is one of 3 things, 1. you had a shit battery (I know you said you put a new one in, but I've used expired "new" batteries before and had this happen, so check your dates). 2. somehow you left the cap off at some point, or it slipped off on its own at some extended period. or 3. My old K-1000 used to sometimes give me funky readings if I left the ISO wheel in between certain higher speed settings. but that was really inconsistent, and I haven't really heard of it doing that to anyone else's pentaxs.

You probably won't like this suggestion, as it involves sort of ignoring your problem and spending more money, but...
Whenever possible, you should use a hand-held light meter anyways. it's not convenient for all shooting scenarios, but the amount of precision it allows you under more controlled scenarios (like shooting friends skating as apposed to taking a photo of that crazy looking homeless person on the subway train that you're pretty sure is hiding a knife under their coat).

and in fact, even in such a crazy spot of shooting lunatics with possible knives, it'll allow you the discretion of shooting from the hip without needing to look thru the viewfinder to get your reading first. So its even handy in not so controlled scenarios, when discretion is preferred.

I know that 90% of the ones on the market today are crazy expensive, but I used to have this one back in college:

you can still find them for around 150 used (maybe even less if you hunt around)
and it works amazingly, isn't as big and bulky as other meters, and can be used for both direct and reflective light readings.
I guess the newer models can even be slid into your hotshoe (which seems kinda unnecessary to me, but hey, i guess its another way to carry it around or whatever)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:17:02 AM by sweatercuff »
@idealhandmades

Danielle

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2177 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I broke my 50mm, so I've had to start using disposable cameras. Here's my last set:

Peep more on my blog: http://mysteryiniquity.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:42:29 PM by Danielle »

stefan

• Rep: 14
    • Stefan Groenendijk Photos avatar image
« Reply #2178 on: August 10, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
Rachid Addou with a Bs Ollie over a Streethip in Luxembourg

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2179 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
beach weekend.

Danielle

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2180 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
The beach picture and the one of the nigga on the couch makes me want to go to the beach so bad, something I haven't done yet this summer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:33:33 PM by Danielle »

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2181 on: August 10, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »

« Reply #2182 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

« Reply #2183 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2184 on: August 10, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
Great pictures Brandon!

gkn00dlez

« Reply #2185 on: August 11, 2011, 12:36:20 AM »
I'm no photographer, so all I have to contribute are you standard run of the mill iPhone photos and disposables. My personal favorites from the past few years.

This dude would always buy me packs of cigarettes and try to give me painkillers when I worked at this hood store in New Orleans.

Mardi Gras shit. Sorry no tits.

Gay pride parade is full of photo ops.

Got chased out of here trying to steal a traffic light to put in my kitchen.

Airplane view.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2186 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:55 AM »
Took a trip to NY this summer

Any of you NY dudes or anyone visiting make sure to check out the "Museum of the moving image" It has crazy amounts of film history

This was a Vegas roadtrip we went on for a shoot

gkn00dlez

« Reply #2187 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
Took a trip to NY this summer

Any of you NY dudes or anyone visiting make sure to check out the "Museum of the moving image" It has crazy amounts of film history

This was a Vegas roadtrip we went on for a shoot

Damn, where is that museum? It looks pretty rad. Consider it checked.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2188 on: August 11, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Really like that roadtrip Nikes shot Frisco!

I recently took some shots for a friend's new website for his percussion stuff. I was developing 2 rolls for him and I stupidly didn't wait for the spool to dry off before I put in the second roll to develop. Film in a wet spool doesnt really mix well, so I had to use a metal spool which I hate because it always fucks up the film. Well, I ended up liking the outcome!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2189 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »
definitely a happy accident, those turned out awesome.
Its like you can see the ghost trails of his beats or something, especially that gnarly fang looking one on the xylophone.
@idealhandmades