Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717377 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #4560 on: March 07, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #4561 on: March 07, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
some shots from my costa rica trip. a couple good ones, way too many bad ones. bw works better then color for this country.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:02:07 PM by Matze »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
hardly art, hardly starving

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4563 on: March 07, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #4564 on: March 08, 2014, 06:47:31 PM »
some really nice stuff in here guys!

first two are x100, third one is stylus epic
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4565 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
De La Soul.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #4566 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
I'm seriously considering getting one of those Stylus Epic cameras to mess around with. I've never done anything photography related so I'm pretty clueless about this. Is 35mm film easy to get my hands on? And can I just take the film to any Walgreens or drug store to be developed or should I take it to somewhere else?

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4567 on: March 10, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Has anyone here tried/owned an Horizon 202 ? They seem fun, I might buy one if I can hunt down a cheap one.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4568 on: March 10, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »
I've always wanted one and this may sound dumb considering how much I sunk into my DSLR but I just can't seem to stomach paying for a film camera that is over $200. Looks dope though. I think Arto uses one.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4569 on: March 10, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
I've already paid more for a film camera but this one just feels like something I would use only "sometimes". As in "gadget"...
But with the kind of photography you post here I'm sure it would be perfect for you !

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4570 on: March 10, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
I'm seriously considering getting one of those Stylus Epic cameras to mess around with. I've never done anything photography related so I'm pretty clueless about this. Is 35mm film easy to get my hands on? And can I just take the film to any Walgreens or drug store to be developed or should I take it to somewhere else?

35mm is easy to get your hands on, the quality of film will depend on how much you are willing to spend.
Personally, I love fresh Portra 400. Unfortunately, this film is around $10 a roll. You can find propacks of 5 that will save you some money, but not much. You can also find different expired film for much cheaper but it'll be hit or miss. Some rolls might look super good while others are going to be muddy and terrible. If you're just planning messing around, i would say buy the cheap color film they have at walgreens and if you really want to up the quality, think about investing in a large stockpile of fresh portra.

you can develop this film at walgreens, the one i go to has never failed me. the scans will be low resolution but will look fine and sharp on the computer, you just won't be able to print large using the files they give you on the CD. When you take your film to CVS/Walgreens you have to specify that you want the images scanned onto a photo CD or they'll just give you 4x6 prints.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4571 on: March 10, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
This one got really popular on tumblr, black and white 35mm

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4572 on: March 10, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
I am at my work computer and part of the pic was cropped and it looked like the dude ollied that high.

Wild though. Would like to see the footage.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #4573 on: March 10, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
^ yea same, don't scroll over if u haven't already u guys
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4574 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09:05 AM »
I am at my work computer and part of the pic was cropped and it looked like the dude ollied that high.

Wild though. Would like to see the footage.
sorry wasn't trying to trick anyone

ÜterZörker

• Rep: 4
  • Welcome to the wildwest, did you bring yer pistol?
« Reply #4575 on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Just some shots from a couple weeks ago. Probably gonna get kooked for the snowboarding but whatever.

?terZ?rker, on Flickr

this ones is a bad photo but I thought it was cool and #spooky

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #4576 on: March 11, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

35mm is easy to get your hands on, the quality of film will depend on how much you are willing to spend.
Personally, I love fresh Portra 400. Unfortunately, this film is around $10 a roll. You can find propacks of 5 that will save you some money, but not much. You can also find different expired film for much cheaper but it'll be hit or miss. Some rolls might look super good while others are going to be muddy and terrible. If you're just planning messing around, i would say buy the cheap color film they have at walgreens and if you really want to up the quality, think about investing in a large stockpile of fresh portra.

you can develop this film at walgreens, the one i go to has never failed me. the scans will be low resolution but will look fine and sharp on the computer, you just won't be able to print large using the files they give you on the CD. When you take your film to CVS/Walgreens you have to specify that you want the images scanned onto a photo CD or they'll just give you 4x6 prints.
Thanks man, all of that helps a lot. I'm going to look around on ebay for one. Last question, what's the benefits of having the photos on a CD compared to the prints? You can share them easier over the internet?

Greg Road

« Reply #4577 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

Do you really know why you want to shoot on film instead of digital?

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4578 on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks man, all of that helps a lot. I'm going to look around on ebay for one. Last question, what's the benefits of having the photos on a CD compared to the prints? You can share them easier over the internet?

not only that but it's a good way of keeping photos organized. you look at the photos in greater detail than a 4x6 print and it's easier to edit photos that way

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #4579 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4580 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but Calumet has abruptly closed all of their US stores.
http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2014/03/calumet-photographic-liquidate-closes-us-stores.html

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4581 on: March 13, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
Online shops just kill brick and mortar ones. I got a Calumat battery and it was faulty. Never went back again but more so cause it's out of the way. Not surprised though. I was more surprised that Ritz closed up shop and they even had better print quality then say Walgreens.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #4582 on: March 13, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #4583 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Should be good!

Let Us Roam is an ongoing short film series supported by Leica Camera. This series features stories about photographers, artists, filmmakers and musicians inside of the skateboarding culture. For many, skateboarding is a lifestyle that breeds creativity, and often-times the doorway leading to various avenues of expression. This first four part film portrait series tells the stories from behind the lens and path that led these artists to photography.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #4584 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
I've been using my dslr strictly for video for the past 3 years, only recently have I started to try and take photos with it.  Here's a few recent ones

Wife about to light up a cigar looking all sexy like:

Wife in a forest jungle

My dogs puggy face

Some machine thingy on a very overcast day

More industrial stuff

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4585 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »
^^^^Nice. What lenses are you using? I dig the forest and the edit.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Jakelous

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4586 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
got a cool feature on Trip Mag, check it bois

http://tripmag.co.uk/marin-county-ca/

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #4587 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »

that was great. wonderful example of "breaking the rules" by having numerous subjects centered in the photos and pulling it off.

what did you shoot it with?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4588 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »

Wood.....
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Jakelous

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4589 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that was great. wonderful example of "breaking the rules" by having numerous subjects centered in the photos and pulling it off.

what did you shoot it with?

thanks dude!
I shoot with a nikon fe2 mainly