Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 718899 times)

Nate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6330 on: May 11, 2016, 12:45:27 AM »
Damn dude did you get caught in the crossfire and get tear gassed? That sounds terrible.

This little interview about film photography I did awhile back just came out. It features some of my favorite photos I've taken if you guys want to check it out!

http://emulsive.org/interviews/i-am-jeff-hao-and-this-is-why-i-shoot-film

Thought that interview was tight and your work is real good, are you going to school in the bay? I'm here to if you ever want to link up and shoot.

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6331 on: May 18, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »

Just finished editing a video of Bill Dane talking about his work.

You might want to start with the first one (posted here a couple of months back)

www.billdane.com

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #6332 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Nate  link=topic=25512.msg2491937#msg2491937 date=1462952727
Expand Quote
Damn dude did you get caught in the crossfire and get tear gassed? That sounds terrible.

This little interview about film photography I did awhile back just came out. It features some of my favorite photos I've taken if you guys want to check it out!

http://emulsive.org/interviews/i-am-jeff-hao-and-this-is-why-i-shoot-film
[close]

Thought that interview was tight and your work is real good, are you going to school in the bay? I'm here to if you ever want to link up and shoot.
Thanks man! Yeah I live in the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area, I'd be down for sure. Hit me with a dm if you want.

Sander

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6333 on: May 20, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Decided to stop lurking this thread and contribute. Getting back a few rolls from the lab next week, hyped for that. I have to say there are some great photographers on here, you're all killing it.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:29:18 AM by Sander »

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6334 on: May 20, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
Honest question, why is film such a fetish to skaters? Are people shooting it for any sort of technical reasons or is it just an arbitrary preference?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #6335 on: May 20, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
I can only speak for me, but Film cameras offer the same quality for a way lower price. For skate pics you have a hasselblad with an x-sync of 1/500 for 500 euros, instead of paying 15.000. For snap shots you can get a dirt cheap point and still have the 'chip size' of a 5d.

Smerdyakov

« Reply #6336 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
I can only speak for me, but Film cameras offer the same quality for a way lower price. For skate pics you have a hasselblad with an x-sync of 1/500 for 500 euros, instead of paying 15.000. For snap shots you can get a dirt cheap point and still have the 'chip size' of a 5d.

I hear you on the flash sync for skating, I guess what I'm thinking about is the street photography and random walk around shots. How many pictures can you take on a 35mm film camera before developing and materials cost equals out to a modern digital camera? 16MP dslr's are under $500, and if you are shooting snapshots where you aren't going to use many manual features you can get something for like $200 that will have great image clarity.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6337 on: May 20, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
Wouldn't take much!  Film and developing isn't that cheap, but I guess you can develop your own b&w film easily enought at home, so that would save some cash.  Certainly with me, scanning and post-processing (clone-stamping out dust, hair and scratches, colour correction, etc.) in LR & PS can take ages and that's another invisible cost - largely as I get obsessive about technicalities.  I've been going back over old negs today and bizarrely, some of the ancient scans I made in 2009 are sharper and crisper than the ones I made today, despite it all being on the same hardware. Shit like that will take ages to sort out...  Main reasons I like film is the random and somewhat unpredictable nature of it, particularly with cheap/toy/Lomo cameras.  Digital for precision, film for "artistic" randomness, or at least that's it for me anyway.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:10:04 PM by ciaran »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6338 on: May 21, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »
Quote from: Smerdyakov  link=topic=25512.msg2497852#msg2497852 date=1463766377
Expand Quote
[close]

I hear you on the flash sync for skating, I guess what I'm thinking about is the street photography and random walk around shots. How many pictures can you take on a 35mm film camera before developing and materials cost equals out to a modern digital camera? 16MP dslr's are under $500, and if you are shooting snapshots where you aren't going to use many manual features you can get something for like $200 that will have great image clarity.

I would rather talk about the 'chip' size than megapixels. I spend around 100 bucks on films and developing every month, which seems kinda high at first. But it is for all my 6 cameras together. I guess all together they are worth around 6000 euros, if you find the equivalent digital version (imagine a high quality digital medium format point and shoot ....) it would be worth around 30000. That means the costs for film and cameras would be equal with digital after 20 years.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #6339 on: May 21, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
I take zero pleasure taking pictures with a digital camera;  I love all the different excellent film cameras there are to try and play around with. Each is different and enjoyable in its own quirky way. I don't care about the immediacy and I love being in a darkroom. These are some of my reasons...

Some from this winter and early march in and around Paris :

Rolleiflex & Portra 160

satandrinksforties

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6340 on: May 21, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
those last two are fucking great ^^^

Smerdyakov

« Reply #6341 on: May 21, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »
Quote from: Smerdyakov  link=topic=25512.msg2497852#msg2497852 date=1463766377
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would rather talk about the 'chip' size than megapixels. I spend around 100 bucks on films and developing every month, which seems kinda high at first. But it is for all my 6 cameras together. I guess all together they are worth around 6000 euros, if you find the equivalent digital version (imagine a high quality digital medium format point and shoot ....) it would be worth around 30000. That means the costs for film and cameras would be equal with digital after 20 years.

How many frames do people here take in a month of heavy shooting?

For simplicity purposes I threw out an arbitrary high megapixel number, assume I mean it as being on a good 3/4 or larger sized sensor, and not some 22 megapixel camera on a cell phone. I know megapixels aren't image clarity or measured the same for different applications. Basically I'm getting from everyone with the exception of saying medium format or something with a leaf shutter for flash sync purposes in skating, is that they shoot film because of personal preference or feeling. That's completely fine. Maybe I have no soul or something but I don't feel any more connected or inspired by shooting film. I hated the setup times of a large format camera, and I feel pretty much the same shooting medium format and 35mm as I do with digital. I'm far from a gear nerd, only research equipment after I'm already looking to buy something, and by no means strong technically, but I like trying to understand why people make the choices they do with photography. The only nostalgia I've ever had for a camera is for the Minolta dynax 7 because how crazy is this for metering?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:36:21 AM by Smerdyakov »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #6342 on: May 21, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Film is definitely cheaper to get into. I got my first point and shoot (stylus epic) for $50ish back in the day. It's nice because if you discover photography isn't for you, at least you're not stuck with digital camera that set you a couple hundred back. There's other factors like the unpredictability and the slow process of it, but I honestly do think a lot of people get into it for the aesthetics of film. It's definitely trending hard where I'm from. I'll admit that I wanted to shoot film at first because of the 'quirkiness" of it over all other reasons.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6343 on: May 21, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
(clone-stamping out dust, hair and scratches, colour correction, etc.)
[close]

either have a proper lab develop your rolls or be careful when you do it and scratches shouldn't be a problem. invest in some computer duster or one of the squeezable things and there won't be hair and dust. can't suggest much about color correction but perhaps use a different scanning software. silverfast is really good and has presets for different film. also if you are concerend with sharpness you could invest in some better glass for your scanner. http://www.betterscanning.com/ "precision" photos can be taken on film if you have the patience.
Thanks for the tips, will definitely check out new software and those glass scanner attachments.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6344 on: May 22, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
Back to pictures :)

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6345 on: May 22, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »

Smerdyakov

« Reply #6346 on: May 22, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
Matze, really like those panoramic shots.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6347 on: May 23, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
Not my own obviously, but I really like this photo of a young Chet Baker

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #6348 on: May 25, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »
just got back into it after a year long hiatus, film prices doubled. stoked

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:42:44 PM by beat! »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #6349 on: May 25, 2016, 04:45:41 PM »

I think we know some mutual peoples.

This page is looking so good! Damn.

Here's a little selection of some stuff I shot in and around Pittsburgh this past March.

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

beat!

• Rep: -16
  • i feel like im skating a 7.5 in dunks
    • streetbeerz avatar image
« Reply #6350 on: May 25, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think we know some mutual peoples.

#hogsouttour2k16 sahn

good flicks!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6351 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
homie, sw crooks. dont like the angle and all the crooked lines, but i shot this while dodging a bus (had to stand on the street), and it came out better than expected.

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6352 on: May 28, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6353 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:05 AM »
wallie / canon 5d.
croatia / fuji x100s.

hopefully some new analogue shots coming up soon.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6354 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
some recents. some digi (5DIII/a7rii) some medium format (portra 160/pan f)

youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6355 on: June 04, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
man i kinda wanna shoot film again. but i prolly won't since my old film canon died.

here we go :

yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #6356 on: June 16, 2016, 05:12:17 AM »
alright so it's 2016. wal mart's and CVS's have closed down their photo devloping centers where negatives used to cost $2-$3. am i stuck going to my 30 minute photo place that charges $11 a roll for developing or is there a cheaper developer that anyone can rattle off to me? it would be greatly appreciated!!!
good come sausage

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #6357 on: June 16, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »
Not sure where you're located, but when I send my slide film out, I send it to Citizen's in Portland, Oregon. Shipping's cheap and the processing is pretty cheap and fast.

http://www.citizensphoto.com/processing/

But also, try checking to see if your area has a legit photo processing place. I'm lucky enough to have one in Baltimore.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #6358 on: June 21, 2016, 06:22:15 AM »
Just bought my first film camera, a point and shoot olympus stylus epic. Found a cheap one and thought why not. Does anyone have any recommendations/tips film wise? I've heard portra 400 is great but it seems pretty pricey.
Cheers
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #6359 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »
Not sure where you're located, but when I send my slide film out, I send it to Citizen's in Portland, Oregon. Shipping's cheap and the processing is pretty cheap and fast.

http://www.citizensphoto.com/processing/

But also, try checking to see if your area has a legit photo processing place. I'm lucky enough to have one in Baltimore.

awesome thanks dude! anyone have any info on ones in NY / Northeast area???
good come sausage