Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 718924 times)

mammasnyakille

Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6450 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:30 AM »
http://jordanpalmerwiens.tumblr.com

updated my blog. last bunch of photos are on my new mitakon 50mm 0.95/A7RII

I really like your style, good eye. I been thinking of getting an A7, are you happy with it? What did you shoot with before?
Those newest ones looks very "white" is that the A7 or is it edited in post?
Have you done any editorial stuff? lots of questions sorry..

mammasnyakille

« Reply #6451 on: January 04, 2017, 01:18:31 AM »
Also made an update recently, http://davidlindberg.tumblr.com

Ive saved my best ones for a new zine im working on.
Anyone here who's also in to making zines? I made these two last year http://davidlindberg.bigcartel.com

krookedjuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #6452 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
Always lurk this thread, felt I'd finally contribute.

Definitely hoping to start adding to this thread a bit more.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6453 on: January 15, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
I don't know if anyone is interested in this but Harvard just put all of its photo classes online for free.  https://alison.com/courses/Digital-Photography/content

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6454 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:35 PM »
Always lurk this thread, felt I'd finally contribute.

Definitely hoping to start adding to this thread a bit more.

awesome! that manual spot looks perfect...also those drums - is that a fugazi or beatles reference?
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6455 on: January 16, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
http://jordanpalmerwiens.tumblr.com

updated my blog. last bunch of photos are on my new mitakon 50mm 0.95/A7RII
[close]

I really like your style, good eye. I been thinking of getting an A7, are you happy with it? What did you shoot with before?
Those newest ones looks very "white" is that the A7 or is it edited in post?
Have you done any editorial stuff? lots of questions sorry..
It is definitely not as fast as a 5D in terms of menus and reviewing photos. might be the processor or it might be the 42mp files but you have to wait to look at a photo for a bit where as canon/nikon cameras are instant. haven't used the a7ii or a7sii so they might be faster, but i want to print big and i needed 4K for my video stuff so i went with the a7rii. I find sony/nikon colours are accurate but not as pleasing but i still mess a lot in post. i used the portra 160nc- vsco preset in lightroom as a base and then just keep messing until I'm happy. i really would like to do more editorial stuff but its mostly random commercial work. i work as a videographer for algonquin college so that takes up a lot of my time.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6456 on: January 17, 2017, 04:04:45 AM »
http://www.andreamodica.com/ - Treadwell

I would guess some people on here would know of her. I was only recently turned on to her and goddamn she is good.

Jesus Christ that is some seriously moving stuff. It's so morbidly creepy yet beautiful at the same time. Kind of reminds me of Dianne Arbus but more fucked up. Yet in among it there is moments of serenity. Some of those portraits are enchanting.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6457 on: January 19, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
Looking into getting a new camera soon. It would be used to take nature photos , sports / skateboarding and to do some filming. I guess what I want from it is to be able to take great photos of high quality , have a fast shutter? so I can take multiple shots a second for "action" shots
and high quality video

Hercules recommended the  Canon 7d mk 2 as I like Canon and have had Canons before

Any views on this camera ? the price range for the  7d mk 2 is about what Im willing to spend

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6458 on: January 19, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
Looking into getting a new camera soon. It would be used to take nature photos , sports / skateboarding and to do some filming. I guess what I want from it is to be able to take great photos of high quality , have a fast shutter? so I can take multiple shots a second for "action" shots
and high quality video

Hercules recommended the  Canon 7d mk 2 as I like Canon and have had Canons before

Any views on this camera ? the price range for the  7d mk 2 is about what Im willing to spend
if you absolutely need a high frames per second, then the 7D MK2 is a good option, but also look at some mirrorless options or some older full frame canon's like the 5D Mark II/III. All of the cameras will shoot at 1/4000th or 1/8000th of a second. If you want high quality video I would look at sony like the a6300/a6500 or the fuji x-t2. But the best advice is to go to a camera store, bring your own sd card (or buy a fast one there, because you'll need one anyway) and test out the handling of all of the cameras you want to buy. Then compare the files at home and make your decision afterwards. Most cameras can be matched in post but the way you feel when you use it and how usable it is is going to be the ultimate decision maker.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

ungzilla

« Reply #6459 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
the 7dmk2 is certainly an upgrade in terms of video settings/options/handling and all that jazz, but if photos are the main thing you're looking at doing, I'd go with a now-ancient 5dmk2, you can get those pretty cheap now, and I think it still puts out great raw files compared to a lot of newer things I've fucked around with. The advantages of full frame sensors cannot be understated.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6460 on: January 19, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
the thing is, i am all for full frame, will never go back. BUT:  i see a shitload of people running around with high end FF cameras and having some average ass zoom lens on it. in my personal opinion, investing money in proper glass makes way more sense, especially since those lenses usually work for crop and FF if you wanna upgrade at some point.
also backing the "used 5dmk2" plan, i used a 5dmk1 for a loooong time before switching to the 3 model.

random stuff:

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #6461 on: January 20, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »
Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of a free version of adobe creative suite?

I seem to remember someone saying that outdated versions that were no longer being supported by servers were made available for free (CS2 I believe), but I cant seem to find it.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #6462 on: January 20, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
I think I know this place. It's right around the corner from where my sister used to live, if I'm not mistaking.
N?rrebro, CPH right? Close to Bolche Fabrikken
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6464 on: January 21, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
Yes! N?rrebrooklyn all day.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6465 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of a free version of adobe creative suite?

I seem to remember someone saying that outdated versions that were no longer being supported by servers were made available for free (CS2 I believe), but I cant seem to find it.
If you download cs6 from a torrent they usually give you instructions on how to block the program from using the internet in the firewall settings. the creative cloud (newest version) uses the internet.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6466 on: January 30, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill prob pick up a 7d and a 5d during this year

BMCsteve

« Reply #6467 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
Nothing artistic or taking any amount of skill like most of the photos in this thread but I'm stoked on how this looks

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6468 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »
For people who have traveled on an airplane with film: Have you taken any precautions to protect your film against the security x-rays? If so, what? or is it not really that big of a deal?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6469 on: February 04, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
For people who have traveled on an airplane with film: Have you taken any precautions to protect your film against the security x-rays? If so, what? or is it not really that big of a deal?

I used to have them hand check them at the airport. But now I don't even bother honestly. I believe if its under 800 it won't be harmed. But I have brought so many rolls and then shot them, couldn't tell a single difference.

I thought maybe it would fuck it up but make it look sick? Who knows.

vitunvesa

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6470 on: February 05, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to have them hand check them at the airport. But now I don't even bother honestly. I believe if its under 800 it won't be harmed. But I have brought so many rolls and then shot them, couldn't tell a single difference.

I thought maybe it would fuck it up but make it look sick? Who knows.

I know. Definitely dont make the negs look sick at all...

I've traveled a lot and never got any problems so I used not to but now I surely handcheck my films at the airport everytime.
I was not psyched coming home from a 2month trip all my films fcked up.

my films were iso 100 and 400. Dont believe what the guys at the airport or else tell you if you want to keep your films safe. safe flights.
eat like a bird and drink like a whale

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6471 on: February 18, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
Seems due for a bump. I jumped on board the rangefinder hypetrain, feels nice to shoot film again. Put a couple rolls through my new Bessa to test things out.

Randozzi

« Reply #6472 on: February 19, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »
Those are great. What kinda of film are you using? Don't shoot much color but with the Hasselblad I might try some out.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6473 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
Great pics!

My roomie and I decided to get an enlarger. Yesterday we built everything up, invited some people over for an 8 hour session ...

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6474 on: February 19, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
Those are great. What kinda of film are you using? Don't shoot much color but with the Hasselblad I might try some out.

Thanks! These were Superia 400. I'd like to try some different stocks, but it's tough cause that stuff's cheap, available everywhere, and seems to handle the Pacific Northwest palette super well.

Great pics!

My roomie and I decided to get an enlarger. Yesterday we built everything up, invited some people over for an 8 hour session ...

I'm going to have to hit you up for a print soon. That's gotta be a lot of fun, I've wanted to do home developing but I'm some ways away yet.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6475 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »
Ended up getting a nikon F3 for a real good deal with a lens in the realm I had been looking to get for a while.  Only shot two rolls on it so far on some real shit film but I'm still really stoked to get them developed.  Bout to have access to a darkroom and really looking forward to getting back into developing my own shit. Drunkenly ordered a few rolls of Lomography Lady Grey due to a recommendation from a friend. Anybody ever shoot with it? I usually just stuck to Ilford Delta 400.

rickynorse

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6476 on: February 24, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:47:02 PM by rickynorse »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
« Reply #6477 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »
Quote from: Nate  link=topic=25512.msg2611691#msg2611691 date=1487594105
Ended up getting a nikon F3 for a real good deal with a lens in the realm I had been looking to get for a while.  Only shot two rolls on it so far on some real shit film but I'm still really stoked to get them developed.  Bout to have access to a darkroom and really looking forward to getting back into developing my own shit. Drunkenly ordered a few rolls of Lomography Lady Grey due to a recommendation from a friend. Anybody ever shoot with it? I usually just stuck to Ilford Delta 400.
I'm pretty sure Lomography is just rebranded film. I shot a bunch of rolls of the Earl Grey film and it was some of my favorite black and white films.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6478 on: February 27, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »
Before I'll tell how much I like your pictures I wanna know some things: where, camera, lens, film, post.

rickynorse

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6479 on: February 27, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
Before I'll tell how much I like your pictures I wanna know some things: where, camera, lens, film, post.

Expand Quote

[close]

#1 Is taken just outside of Stryn in Norway, shot with a fuji x100s.

#2 Is shot with a ricoh gr II on the way down from Pikes Peak in Colorado.

#3 Is shot along the cosmic highway in Colorado, also with the ricoh gr II.

#4, 5 & 6 is shot in the area around Trollstigen in Noway, with the x100s.

All have been processed with some preset i cooked up in lightroom!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:05:24 PM by rickynorse »