Author Topic: Da Camping Thread  (Read 4392 times)

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: Da Camping Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2022, 08:40:00 AM »
Spent 8 days in the Port Cartier area next to the Pentecôte River on Quebec's north coast in June on a salmon/brook trout fly fishing mission with my best friend. That's about 800km east of Quebec City, so it's pretty damn deep in the wilderness.

Had a blast, only thing is the mosquitoes were out of fucking control, never seen it this bad.  Whatever deet products we had did not work whatsoever so I just gave up on it by day 2. I came out of there looking like a teen with acne.

Those are the only pictures I have, both our stoned asses forgot to bring a phone charger.

It was quite warm so conditions for salmon were tough, brook trout were a little more active but still not optimal. Nothing stocked here obviously, so it was a nice orange-bellied brookies that are hard to catch.

I used to be department manager of an outdoor gear shop, so I got well equipped for cheap.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:45:12 AM by TheBoognish »

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
a couple favorites from my Wind River High Route trip this past August.

Descending the 'West Gully' off Wind River Peak. A steep and very loose 3rd glass scramble.

Knifepoint Glacier view from atop Alpine Lakes Pass. Narrowly missed the incoming storm on the pass.

Heap Steep Glacier view from Blaurock Pass, a pass you couldn't pay me enough money to ever do again.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2022, 05:23:54 AM »
This thread I think is the future.  Camping/amo
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

streetmeat

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2023, 04:14:14 AM »
anyone got trips planned for the new year?

heading out next week to do the full Georgia (into a bit of North Carolina) section of the Appalachian Trail.

in May i'm hoping to do a skate-packing trip on the Grand-Moab Route, 140 miles of backpacking/skating.

rothdigga

• Rep: 570
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »
I usually am very diligent in putting my trips on the calendar just so I secure the time on my calendar throughout the year for camping missions.  I find that when I don't do that, weekends will just pass me by and I'll do nothing. 
My next one is a spring desert mission here in SoCal to Anza Borrego in early April.  I have to go do Phoenix Am as well and I usually camp on the way there in AZ for a night or two on the way just to get some early season desert stuff but I haven't planned that out just yet.
Anyone in here have a trailer?  I have been camping/backpacking my whole life since I was an infant but now that I'm 50, I was REALLY looking for an alternative to sleeping in a tent and some more comfort.  We got this overland/offroad trailer in late 2021 and it's been so nice.  Queen size bed inside, 2 burner stove outside with a 16Gal water tank, road shower on the side that heats by the sun.  It's got tires and suspension that is just as good if not better than my 4Runner and can go anywhere the rig can.  I've already put it to the test and it's held up amazing.  It really keeps myself and more importantly the wife super comfy so she's 100% down for any missions now. 
There's a couple of shots of my setup here in our Baja trip we did over New Years week

streetmeat

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2023, 04:08:49 AM »
I usually am very diligent in putting my trips on the calendar just so I secure the time on my calendar throughout the year for camping missions.  I find that when I don't do that, weekends will just pass me by and I'll do nothing. 
My next one is a spring desert mission here in SoCal to Anza Borrego in early April.  I have to go do Phoenix Am as well and I usually camp on the way there in AZ for a night or two on the way just to get some early season desert stuff but I haven't planned that out just yet.
Anyone in here have a trailer?  I have been camping/backpacking my whole life since I was an infant but now that I'm 50, I was REALLY looking for an alternative to sleeping in a tent and some more comfort.  We got this overland/offroad trailer in late 2021 and it's been so nice.  Queen size bed inside, 2 burner stove outside with a 16Gal water tank, road shower on the side that heats by the sun.  It's got tires and suspension that is just as good if not better than my 4Runner and can go anywhere the rig can.  I've already put it to the test and it's held up amazing.  It really keeps myself and more importantly the wife super comfy so she's 100% down for any missions now. 
There's a couple of shots of my setup here in our Baja trip we did over New Years week

id like to own a camper like that one day. my wife and i do a lot of road tripping/camping and for years have just tent camped. something feels so nostalgic about it now tho...being in a campground anywhere now and being in a tent is the minority now a days. i still enjoy waking up in a tent on crisp morning.

Chhow

• Rep: 0
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2023, 09:35:30 PM »
Anyone in here have a trailer?  I have been camping/backpacking my whole life since I was an infant but now that I'm 50, I was REALLY looking for an alternative to sleeping in a tent and some more comfort.  We got this overland/offroad trailer in late 2021 and it's been so nice.  Queen size bed inside, 2 burner stove outside and generator Wen with a 16Gal water tank, road shower on the side that heats by the sun.  It's got tires and suspension that is just as good if not better than my 4Runner and can go anywhere the rig can.  I've already put it to the test and it's held up amazing.  It really keeps myself and more importantly the wife super comfy so she's 100% down for any missions now. 

I didn't go camping often and enjoyed it, I plan to do it more often. But I don't like sleeping in a tent - basically I didn't get a good night's sleep and the following days of camping didn't go as well as I would like because of my fatigue. You have a nice trailer, I'll think about getting something like that
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:43:10 AM by Chhow »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2023, 05:41:59 AM »
My homie sells these rooftop tents……

https://instagram.com/overlandrec?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2023, 03:21:38 PM »
I’ve got a campsite reserved in Montauk NY the last weekend of April. Montauk is super “exclusive” (ie expensive) these days so camping is one of the only ways most average people can afford to visit, so I’m hyped I got a spot. The site is near some cool surf spots so I really hope we get swell

Does anyone here camp on snowboard trips? It would be really rad to avoid paying for a place to stay but I don’t know how you stay warm. Even in a camper, do you somehow have heat?

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

id like to own a camper like that one day. my wife and i do a lot of road tripping/camping and for years have just tent camped. something feels so nostalgic about it now tho...being in a campground anywhere now and being in a tent is the minority now a days. i still enjoy waking up in a tent on crisp morning.

Hard to beat "hike in only" camp sites. I live in MN and have a handful of favorites up north. 1-5 miles max, and pure peace and quiet.

We have a newborn baby, so curious to see how this changes things!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2024, 05:52:38 PM »
So, for those of us above the equator, it's spring. What trips do you all have planned? I scored a permit to go back to the Enchantments in North Central Washington for the first time in six years for August. Going to definitely hit some Oregon coast action and try to get down to Crater Lake at some point because despite having lived in Portland for 20 years, I still have never made the drive down there.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2024, 08:05:11 PM »
Next month, I'm spending a week to 10 days camping, surfing and skateboarding the lower half of the Oregon coast. I will mostly be in State Park campsites (South Beach Newport and Humbug Mountain near Port Orford).

Probably another camping mish in mid June also but not sure where yet.