Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249402 times)

InternetDaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
I saw Magic Hat's #9 in cans today at the beer store, what the fucks up with that?
[close]
saw the same...apparently it's to celebrate the fact that it is 16 years old this year. probably going to grab some this weekend.
Magic Hat's done #9 in cans the last two summers, it's so that you can still drink nice beer at festivals/outdoor events where glass bottles aren't allowed. I was pretty psyched, but I've yet to find anywhere near me that stocks them  :'(
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
I recently discovered Anderson Valley's Poleeko Gold and I can't get enough of it

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
I'm supposed to try and brew some beer this summer with a friend of mine. Didn't sound like too much of a hassle to make a basic lager...
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

finecojeffe

• Rep: 142
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »
Tripel Karmiliet is my favorite beer at the moment. Delirium Tremens is up there as well.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #514 on: June 14, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
Expand Quote
My guess is that the beer in bottles v. cans debate is like the wine bottles with corks v. screw cap, meaning it's more about traditional technique versus industrial.

Since the beer is most often (?) brewed in metal containers, I don't think storing it in a metal container should affect it too much, especially considering how advanced the technology is today. I think the "can taste" could be just the smell of the can when you're drinking from it.

But you sure brew some crazy beers in the states, the watermelon wheat sounds wild.
[close]

The majority of the mainstream brands come in cans in the states but a very small number of the smaller (craft) breweries can, I think there was some prejudice against cans with beer snobs, but its a growing trend with the craft breweries now too.

Oskar Blues Brewery (dales pale ale, old chubb) sell all of their brews in cans for the reason that bottles can't be brought into music festivals. I'm pretty sure that they are one of the first, if not the first, major/respected craft brewery to have done cans and I don't mind at all but I do drink faster when drinking from a can.

there is a trend this year too, Brooklyn Brewery has released their summer brew in cans as well. Which is a great, atypical summer pop

Bertie

• Rep: 65
« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:52 AM »
cans affect that taste of a beer, it's always better bottled if possible. obviously draught is bestest. not a snobby thing, just better.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
cans affect that taste of a beer, it's always better bottled if possible. obviously draught is bestest. not a snobby thing, just better.
cans don't affect the taste of the beer, if anything they are better for the beer since they protect it from being light struck. cans are lined nowadays so no beer actually touches the aluminum.

in fact, one of the most highly sought after IPA's, heady topper, only comes in cans.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
certainly not Becks

Had a bunch of them at a works meeting\presentation this evening and already I feel shite

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #518 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

steve

« Reply #519 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
figured some people would be interested in this list

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=2012-best-beers-in-america

damn, dogfish head and sierra nevada really dominate the top ranked beer category. I'm not sure how I feel about those choices but there are some good beers in there.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
best ipa for sure

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »
Expand Quote

damn, dogfish head and sierra nevada really dominate the top ranked beer category. I'm not sure how I feel about those choices but there are some good beers in there.

i have to say i'm seeing eye to eye with the home brewers association.  most of the top 10 ones are among my favorite. 

i'm going to make it a goal to try every beer on that list
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
best ipa for sure

gonna hafta try it

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: July 03, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
looking at that list, i haven't had three. younger, abyss and 120 minute.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #524 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
I always wanted to try 120 minute until I found out it's almost 20 percent alcohol. Still curious, but doubt I'd like it.

steve

« Reply #525 on: July 03, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
I always wanted to try 120 minute until I found out it's almost 20 percent alcohol. Still curious, but doubt I'd like it.

I dig strong hoppy IPAs but the 120 is not a fave. If you have had Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA, the 120 minute is doubly as strong and flavorful. it's just too much.   

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i have to say i'm seeing eye to eye with the home brewers association.  most of the top 10 ones are among my favorite. 

i'm going to make it a goal to try every beer on that list

i overlooked a few, for sure, such as founders breakfast stout, new belgium fat tire, anchor steam, and a few others i really like, but for larger craft breweries such as stone, sierra, and dogfish head to dominate seems kind of limiting.

ok, maybe i'm being a dick. there are some damn good beers in there. it's hot, I was sick, puking from dehydration for a day, and have none of these beers right now. It's too bad the Sierra/Dogfish collabo Life and Limb isn't in there

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:15 PM »
i don't think i've had the 120 now that you mention it, but he 90 min and 60 min are excellent.  i'm sure i'd like it

speaking of Dogfishead, if you've never seen it there was a great New Yorker article a few years ago (which turned me onto them in the first place)..  pretty cool   http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger

this is my recent favorite IPA of late

very much in the Racer 5, Pliny The Elder, Blind Pig realm.. 

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #527 on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
Pretty much any beer that isn't a light beer I'm fine with.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #528 on: July 03, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
new fav

"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: July 07, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
picked up some supplies

the only one i've tried before is the Mongo, which is actually really fucking good.  never knew anything about Port Brewing before but recently had their Wipeout IPA and Mongo and they're both excellent.  there should be a "beer you're drinking" thread

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #530 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
I'm supposed to try and brew some beer this summer with a friend of mine. Didn't sound like too much of a hassle to make a basic lager...

Brewing an ale would be easier because the yeast is top fermenting, where as lagers are bottom fermenting yeast. Without getting technical lagers have to be stored at a lower temp like 55˚ as opposed to ales, which can be stored close to room temperature. Fellow slappers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #531 on: July 08, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
picked up some supplies

the only one i've tried before is the Mongo, which is actually really fucking good.  never knew anything about Port Brewing before but recently had their Wipeout IPA and Mongo and they're both excellent.  there should be a "beer you're drinking" thread

port brewing kills it, they are the beer side of the "pizza port" chain in the north SD/south OC area. they also are somewhat affiliated/connected to lost abbey. both brew houses share the same headquarters (which is the former location of stone brewery before they blew up). its not quite a girl/chocolate thing, but kind of.

"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #532 on: July 08, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »

Was crushing these all winter but I'm on a wine vibe these days.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: July 08, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »
Expand Quote
picked up some supplies

[close]

port brewing kills it, they are the beer side of the "pizza port" chain in the north SD/south OC area. they also are somewhat affiliated/connected to lost abbey. both brew houses share the same headquarters (which is the former location of stone brewery before they blew up). its not quite a girl/chocolate thing, but kind of.

that's interesting.  it looks like port brewing is up in San Marcos.  is that the new headquarters?  do they still brew at all down south?

my dream is to take a skate / brewery road trip through northern cal soon.  seems like a mecca of beer

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #534 on: July 08, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
i also thought san marcos was in nor cal, but its actually a north SD county suburb. it's between carlsbad and escondido.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:49:06 PM by realitycontrol »
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #535 on: July 08, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
labatt 50 as of late.
deffinatly not moosehead.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
i also thought san marcos was in nor cal, but its actually a north SD county suburb. it's between carlsbad and escondido.

well i'll be damned.  you're right

i was in the oc today sadly, but checked out the Bruery in Orange.  good place

got some more supplies to add to my bounty

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #537 on: July 15, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »

sorry for the huge picture but i had this last night and it was really good. it was smooth with a small finish of watermelon that i thought was pretty proper. not overbearingly sweet at all. can't wait to try it like this

oh yeah and thanks to whoever posted that list of the top beers, i'm definitely gonne look for the ones i haven't tried yet. i hope to find the number one pliny the elder soon, since i live in the bay and its made in santa rosa. anybody know if bevmos got it? or is my hunt not gonna be that easy?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #538 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
^

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
hey man it's a good beer. don't knock it till you try it. if the slice of watermelon on top is too much for you then hey, by all means chug it from the can. that's what I did. but the sound of fresh watermelon with a cold beer sounds better than say an orange or lemon with another hef. (which isn't bad but not really necessary)
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH