Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249378 times)

Fine Young Cannibal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #840 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »
Anyone ever try Founders Backwoods Bastard?  Had one tonight and it overtook Bourbon County Stout as my new favorite beer.  Similar in taste, but a lot less viscous and a lot less alcohol burn.  Vanilla aftertaste didn't hurt either.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #841 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
Expand Quote

If I were a rich man, I'd make a routine out of this stuff.

[close]

I feel like a demon drinking that stuff.

Amen, brethren.

Every once in a while Trois Pistoles or La Fin Du Monde will magically appear on draught at my bar and it's guaranteed debauchism.
Cold Ghengis

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #842 on: February 22, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »
it seems like founders may have brewed more breakfast stout than in years past. I've been finding it in the strangest of places for a few months now.

This one is a killer! I'd never had a Barleywine style until last week. Man, oh man, I was missing out!

Victory Red Thunder is awfully bitchin too

this is a small beer company a few miles from my home. It's a small gig, everything is wood fired. Surprisingly, the beer is high quality. It's nice, living in this shithole, to have regular convenience stores sell bombers of a good local IPA, coffee Porter, and Ale.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #843 on: February 22, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
it seems like founders may have brewed more breakfast stout than in years past. I've been finding it in the strangest of places for a few months now.

This one is a killer! I'd never had a Barleywine style until last week. Man, oh man, I was missing out!

Victory Red Thunder is awfully bitchin too

this is a small beer company a few miles from my home. It's a small gig, everything is wood fired. Surprisingly, the beer is high quality. It's nice, living in this shithole, to have regular convenience stores sell bombers of a good local IPA, coffee Porter, and Ale.

only barley wine beer I've had is Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale and I didn't like it. Is there another brand that would give me a better experience, or is that pretty much it? I could barely drink one...so sludgy, maybe they're best cold..?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #844 on: February 22, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »

best beer i ever drank, and it was 10 years ago
seems like there's cocaine or lsd in it, very good trip
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:16:29 AM by the snake »

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #845 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »

if you're counting calories/don't want to get too fucked up. I will have one robust brew, then switch to these babies....

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #846 on: February 22, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I dig all the Unibroue stuff that I've tried. I feel like a demon drinking that stuff. Trois Pistoles and Terrible are also great beers.

Recently I've been addicted to Sixpoint Resin. That sticky icky.

that video really makes me want to have an IPA (not that i need an excuse)

this is what the beer cabinet is looking like at the moment.  more stuff in fridge

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #847 on: February 22, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I dig all the Unibroue stuff that I've tried. I feel like a demon drinking that stuff. Trois Pistoles and Terrible are also great beers.

[close]

this is what the beer cabinet is looking like at the moment.  more stuff in fridge

Irvine-Sucks.com

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #848 on: February 23, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I spy some Port Brewing bottles. I just tried their Wipeout IPA the other day, up there with the best
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #849 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
i'd keep those sucks in the fridge if I were you

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
i'd keep those sucks in the fridge if I were you

they're fresh, and i'm definitely going to be drinking them first..    you think warm vs cold makes a big difference for IPA?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #851 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
picked these up yesterday

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »

I spy some Port Brewing bottles. I just tried their Wipeout IPA the other day, up there with the best

you gotta try the Mongo now, the double IPA.    it's even better.   one of my favorite IPAs easily

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #853 on: February 23, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
how do i know whats ageable and whats not? i want to start collecting like you floop, once i get some steady income.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #854 on: February 23, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
how do i know whats ageable and whats not? i want to start collecting like you floop, once i get some steady income.

Anything above 10% will age well due to the high alcohol content. Barleywines and Imperial Stouts are among the most common to age.

Most (single/double)IPA's are recommended to drink fresh. An exception to this is the very strong double/imperials such as dogfishhead 120 minute. One of my favorite ipa's is bell's hopslam, and even at 10% alcohol I much prefer it fresh than aged for even a month or two.

ieatemochilds

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #855 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you gotta try the Mongo now, the double IPA.    it's even better.   one of my favorite IPAs easily
That sounds amazing. I need to drink it based on the name alone
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #856 on: February 23, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That sounds amazing. I need to drink it based on the name alone

i was blown away the first time i had it.  same with wipe out.  love Port beers

mongo
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/55342

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #857 on: February 23, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
so does it have to be over 10% or are those just the best ones to age? i'll look up more on them later but i frequent slap the most so of course ill ask here first.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #858 on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
floop, if you're storing those beers, I would suggest placing them rightside up. If you're drinking them almost immediately then never mind

also... drunk

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
« Reply #859 on: February 23, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Can't get the photos up, but I got the Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale and their "Perfect Crime" collaboration ale.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #860 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
only store on the side if they are corked and caged.  dark, stronger beers usually age better ie. barleywines, imperial stouts, imperial reds, imperial whatevers except ipa's. if it's over 8.5% and you don't mid if the hop flavor fades, then age that too. belgian ales generally age well. if they have brett, then they generally get more 'bretty'. sour beers usually get better, especially gueuzes (cantillon, tilquin, boon, oud beersel, hanssens) krieks and other lambics the fruit flavor fades and they get more sour. american wild ales like the russian river 'ations' may or may not improve. in my experience they are better fresh. they are already aged by the time they reach market.

as far as coffee, fruit or anything else, that shit fades/mellows over time. if you like a coffee stout fresh, chances are you may not like it after a year. coffee can get pretty stale tasting  after too long. there's always exceptions but this is generally what i've found.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
good info max.  i haven't really delved into aging seriously, but my collection is growing.  i love imperial stouts, barleywines and strong ales, which luckily are great for aging.  that's interesting about coffee not aging as well.  what about chocolate i wonder? 

living in LA it's hard to have a real cellar although we do have a space under our house, on a hill, which could work.  not sure how good it would be humidity wise though.   i'm jealous of all these people in the midwest who have basements.  i don't know if i have the patience to really wait and catalog my beer, take notes etc..  but in the mean time it doesn't hurt to have beer

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #862 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »
yea thanks for that info max, i live in an apartment so i will have to look into storing techniques also.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:44 PM »
chocolate fades as well. wine fridges are good for cellaring and you can also use a chest freezer (which you can get for nothing off craigslist) and a temperature controller.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #864 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »
chocolate fades as well. wine fridges are good for cellaring and you can also use a chest freezer (which you can get for nothing off craigslist) and a temperature controller.
so im assuming just dont plug it in and i won't have to try to regulate the temp or anything? would it be ok outside all year? i live in the bay area so the weather doesnt get too extreme. but that might work on the porch haha.

edit: just cracked a bud and now i'm gonna lurk this thread and think about what to buy tomorrow, i'll be hitting up some thrift stores to look for baby clothes and beer glasses and im gonna try to make a pit stop at bevmo or whole foods.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:37:23 AM by tangar »

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: February 24, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »
it would probably be fine outside, but you need one of these guys:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #866 on: February 24, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
I've also heard of people putting their beer in a nondegradable  box and burying it for some time, not sure how well that works though. I've found that my tastes for beers has changed noticeably over the last couple years, started out really liking IPA's and now have noticed that I'm more of a sour ale/ malt kind of guy.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #867 on: February 25, 2013, 12:25:14 AM »
i have a dining room set that has a bench that opens for storage, do you know if that would work? i havent tried the beer yet but i almost bought a delerium tremens tulip glass at savers, but i didnt like that it rocked back and forth a bit when it was on a flat surface.

bought this snifter glass for 99 cents at savers and this brew at trader joes. its pretty tasty. i also bought one of their $1.99 bottles of boatswain double ipa that tastes really good.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #868 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
went to bevmo looking for anything i could remember from this thread and ended up getting sculpin. im diggin the flavor so far and im barely on my first glass. i remember dudes on here liking it a lot and the assistant manager at bevmo was super knowledgable and recommended it too so it was an easy choice in the end. i was gonna get something cheaper but thought i would splurge since my bday is tomorrow. oh yeah im going here tomorrow with my old lady and baby girl http://www.originalgravitypub.com/ anybody ever been there? or anyone recommend any of the beers on their list? cheers pals!

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #869 on: February 26, 2013, 06:52:07 AM »
if you've never had a sour get the madamin loverbeer or petrus aged pale. speedway stout is really good as well. you kind of can't go wrong with that list.