Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249401 times)

ChronicBluntSlider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1230 on: June 18, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
i went to Solvang a few years ago before i started drinking good stuff and i am incredibly jealous right now. on another note, does anyone have any lagers they would recommend? i want to buy my dad a couple beers (late fathers day gift) to try, he used to drink bud back in the day but now drinks heineken but only occasionally. i will probably give him a couple IPAs to try and see if he likes em but i thought i should get him a good lager or two as well. any tips would be appreciated.

Went to a baseball game last night night and had a Kona Longboard Lager which was pretty good. I think New Belgium makes some good lagers too.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1231 on: June 18, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
i will probably give him a couple IPAs to try and see if he likes em but i thought i should get him a good lager or two as well. any tips would be appreciated.
victory prima pils is really good, sierra nevada summerfest, sam adams noble pils is actually decent too. surly hell is great and new glarus does really good lagers, but those would probably need to be traded for.

i've heard really good things about jacks abby. not available here, though.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1232 on: June 18, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I am slowly getting into fancy beers, I had the Sierra Nevada summerbrew thing, was pretty nice. I also had warsteiner premium dunkel, sooo good. kinda tastes nutty or has a coffee thing going on, I don't have the vocab for the beer world unfortunately. also had a kronenberg blanc, which I enjoyed at the beach on a hot day, it barely tasted like beer tho, some kind I zeSty lemonade, I'm assuming its looked down upon by aficionados because its so sweet tho.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1233 on: June 18, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
I am slowly getting into fancy beers, I had the Sierra Nevada summerbrew thing, was pretty nice. I also had warsteiner premium dunkel, sooo good. kinda tastes nutty or has a coffee thing going on, I don't have the vocab for the beer world unfortunately. also had a kronenberg blanc, which I enjoyed at the beach on a hot day, it barely tasted like beer tho, some kind I zeSty lemonade, I'm assuming its looked down upon by aficionados because its so sweet tho.

i don't think anyone would diss you for what kind of beer you drink, and if they did that would be lame.  but, i think if you start getting into it you'll realize what you're missing out on and probably start wanting to try more and more good stuff.  i don't consider craft beer "fancy"..  it's just good

Sierra is a good example of a pretty affordable excellent beer.  all their beers are pretty great, and most are priced pretty nicely.  not as cheap as Bud, but, once you cross over into the light you will probably not want to drink Bud very often (not that there'd be anything wrong with that)

i like trying and drinking different beers and my tastes have expanded a lot.  and i definitely seek out bolder and bolder beers.  but on a hot day with friends i'd rather drink a bunch of almost tasteless beers (like bud) that are crisp and refreshing.  like, when you're in for the long haul and going to be literally drinking all day.  if i tried doing that with Firestone Double Jacks i would end up in the hospital (or county jail)
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1234 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
thanks for the suggestions, i was also recommended victory by a co-worker so ill look for that. and ill look for the abbey but im not sure if its available in CA. gonna buy a twelver (or get a rain check if it doesn't come in) for $7.99 at my work of the Sessions Dark beer i heard its good from a co-worker.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1235 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
was able to visit the New Glarus brewery last weekend (one of my Top 5 brewers) and build some pick-you-own-cases... 

my favs out of the bunch (aside from Spotted Cow of course) are

and

was also able to get two bottles of their 20yr Strong Ale
hardly art, hardly starving

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1236 on: June 19, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
Put in 11 hours at my local brewery yesterday, totally chill, but such grueling work. Art, did they have their Wisconsin Belgian Red ale on tap?

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1237 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
Put in 11 hours at my local brewery yesterday, totally chill, but such grueling work. Art, did they have their Wisconsin Belgian Red ale on tap?
i worked in a brewery for a while when i lived in philly. it's fun. were you on the packaging line?

pancake man

« Reply #1238 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
Yeeeup, filled up growlers by hand and then I was building pallets for a little bit. My back and fingers are killing me

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1239 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »

Had these bad boys the other day. I wish more beers came in the 550ml bottle instead of the 650 or 750. If I want a beer and don't really want to get buzzed, one pint is perfect, if I want a nice buzz, two is good. When I open one of the 22 oz bottles I feel like I'm committing to getting buzzed, and if I open a second one I feel like I'm committing to getting kind of drunk.

Ugh, fuck you. Thanks to your beautiful picture of Pliny I suddenly want one but have no means of getting one right now.

dillanharp

« Reply #1240 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »
Got sixer of this

Smells super fruity. The taste starts off with apricot then recedes to weat then back to a pretty strong apricot aftertaste. I thought it was great, but I can tell you guys like the bitter stuff.

Also picked up a Lagunitas Lucky 13.

I haven't tried it yet, but as a new beer drinker, I get the sinking suspension it's going taste awful to me. Doesn't matter though, with it's 8.something% alcohol content, it is bound to get me buzzed and that's all I want out of it. I'm still learning to like the taste of the stuff.

Lucky 13 is great. You're right, you probably won't like it at first. I didn't like beer, coffee or cigarettes at first. Shit I even like wine now. Went for groceries earlier, came out with a 4 pack of these. They're  alright.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1241 on: June 19, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
this stuff is a keeper

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
yup, it's great. I can drive across the river and get it now, along with ballast point.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1243 on: June 19, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
broke one of these open for a night cap with some friends.  really nice

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/34094

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1244 on: June 20, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
When I was in you guys' continent, I became a fan of Colt 45. Also because you can buy the big bottles (0,845378z34 liter or whatever). The merch/ advertisement is legit too.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:45:23 AM by _UniversalTruth_ »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1245 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

They did not... they were currently reppin the Two Women, Dancing Wheat, Totally Naked, and Blacktop

I've also been enjoying these post-weeknight skate sessions or post-yard work

And just for a "fun fact", my overall two favorite "standard" beers are

and

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1246 on: June 20, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
thanks for the suggestions, i was also recommended victory by a co-worker so ill look for that. and ill look for the abbey but im not sure if its available in CA. gonna buy a twelver (or get a rain check if it doesn't come in) for $7.99 at my work of the Sessions Dark beer i heard its good from a co-worker.

Sessions is great stuff....have some of the dark and light in the fridge

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1247 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

Alot of Sculpin love in here, and rightly so, but have any of ya'll tried the Dorado?
Saw it on tap at the place down the street last week. Was much obliged to fillith mine 64 ounce growler.
Drank the whole damn jug and did some wild stuff. Next time I find it I plan to enjoy it in a decidedly more adult fashion.
Cold Ghengis

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
i remember liking it.  had the pleasure of going to the brewery once.  need to do another San Diego brewery tour soon

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1249 on: June 20, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
picked up a sixer of Firestone Pale 31 for only $5.99 at my work on sale. so hyped, ill probably get a few more before the sale ends. also, one of the other meat clerks at work turned 21 yesterday and i made a bet with him about a fillet of fish we had being halibut (he didnt think it was) and so his first beer ever purchased as a 21 year old was a Stone IPA and is in my fridge as i type this. gonna have a few cold ones tomorrow night, tomorrow will be my 7th day of work in a row and i get sat and sun off. im hyped.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pancake man

« Reply #1250 on: June 21, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
Yo, Tangar lemme know if you want me to send you some of those Jack's Abbeys beers. Also I keep trying to push for this, but I'd be willing to do some trades on here

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1251 on: June 21, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
I was walking around my neighborhood and stumbled into Half Acre Brewery.  Everything I've had there has been so good thus far, it was an awesome discovery.

coneklr

« Reply #1252 on: June 21, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1253 on: June 21, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
stoked on this

dillanharp

« Reply #1254 on: June 22, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »
stoked on this

Ah my liquor store just got a ton of this in, going back tomorrow for some, no bottle limit. Would have picked up today, but we got some pliney that was 5 days old.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1255 on: June 22, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »

Fuckin wow. If you like IPAs try this. Smells like fresh fruit.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1256 on: June 22, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »

Fuckin wow. If you like IPAs try this. Smells like fresh fruit.

want

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1257 on: June 22, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
friend from Chicago sent me some of this.  i wish all beer distributed everywhere.  guess that's what makes it fun?

great shit.  if they had it here i would drink this all day long

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1258 on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »

tried all of these last night, all amazing.

15% old ales aged in different types of wood (bourbon, rye, brandy, american oak). if you're in socal check your legit bottle shops for the bourbon barrel-aged version (far left). it's not black tuesday, but it's really up there.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #1259 on: June 23, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »