Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147882 times)

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #660 on: July 10, 2014, 07:01:36 AM »
it's pretty cool. last time i went i met a cool french woman who was at least ten years older than me, bought me drinks, and put me on the guest list for some big brother show next month. i have to call her the next time i go. if it's close i suggest going

Yeah I'm not that far and I'm finally free of my night time work shackles so I'll definitely be heading where the older French ladies are.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anybody ever run into Heath at that bar he works at in LA?
[close]
Always cross paths with Heath & he's a dick every time(which I get a kick out of).
[close]
i like when dollin is there. he yells at everyone and it's pretty funny

i ate lunch outside at some restaurant in downtown la. after a little bit i looked up at someone eating twenty feet in front of me and bill murray was staring me down. i looked at him for a few seconds while trying to register what was happening. i smirked and pointed. he shrugged his shoulders and held up his sandwich and i held up mine. we both had the pulled pork

for the first two months i lived in california i pretty much lived at dave bachinskys house. there were five of us crashing at his house, plus his other two roommates. a photographer who is one of my friends from back home, and tom rohrer from minnesota . we pretty much would wake up and go skating at the local park to warm up, go out street skating with whoever dave had plans to meet up with that day, and end it off drinking beers with a backyard fire/bbq. we also went camping and hiking out in the mountains, and go to arcades. dave's a solid dude. he had a bunch of extra boards laying around that he offered up, and would go through his packages and extra gear and give us clothes

I read this and thought it was amazing, then I realized who posted it and it got exponentially sicker. You comin' back to visit anytime soon?

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
chima ferguson denied my request to play words with friends with him

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

ORGANIKARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #663 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »

Lets play!  Organikarl

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #664 on: July 11, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »
Well shit, this happened a couple weeks ago and I talked about it in some other thread, but I'll mention it. My girl and I stepped out for a smoke at a venue in Oklahoma where Andrew Bird was playing. We were both fairly drunk at this point. We're walking back inside, and I look over to see Dylan Reider standing there. I shook his hand. He seemed nice, despite being bombarded by a drunken idiot with a man crush. I even said his name wrong. Ha. Moral of the story, Dylan was wearing a lot of jewelry.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #665 on: July 11, 2014, 06:37:49 AM »
Well shit, this happened a couple weeks ago and I talked about it in some other thread, but I'll mention it. My girl and I stepped out for a smoke at a venue in Oklahoma where Andrew Bird was playing. We were both fairly drunk at this point. We're walking back inside, and I look over to see Dylan Reider standing there. I shook his hand. He seemed nice, despite being bombarded by a drunken idiot with a man crush. I even said his name wrong. Ha. Moral of the story, Dylan was wearing a lot of jewelry.

Don't think you quite know what a moral is there, chief

Gil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #666 on: July 11, 2014, 06:58:26 AM »

You lucky fuck.  Were his hands soft?  I bet they were? But with just the right amount of grit to make you feel safe and taken care of.
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #667 on: July 11, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Oh, there was a moral to that story. I have to be decked out in pirates of the Caribbean gear at all times in case I happen upon my fantasy fashion heroes.

And I can't recall the softness of his hands, only the warmth of his beautiful smile. Tee hee, goosebumps!

SHAWN COMBOVER

• Rep: 14
  • WHAT A FUCKING WRINKLE DRINKER
« Reply #668 on: July 11, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lets play!  Organikarl

This is badass. Suck it Chima.

[/quote]
You lucky fuck.  Were his hands soft?  I bet they were? But with just the right amount of grit to make you feel safe and taken care of.
[/quote]

FUCKING LOL

Expand Quote
Skated with Andrew Reynolds.  He asked if anyone had wax.  I said "yeah I have some in the car".  Went to my car and had no wax.  I told him "Yo nevermind I don't have any" and he said "oh thats cool we'll find some".

I let the Boss down guys.
[close]
shuriken was a cool ass dude.

Hung out with Shuriken @ tampa pro or am a couple years ago and asked if he wanted to blaze and he was down! Then I kept asking him over the course of the day and i think we were both annihilated by the end of the last session. he is a cool ass dude.

Smoked a blunt with bryan herman outside of SPOT and could not stop shaking. little kid anxiety sketchy uncomfortable shaking.
every time i passed him the blunt i wanted to run away. so fucking lame.....

Smoked with stevie perez as well. he had some killer ass fucking weed. whew wee.

fun thread.
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
Not the most exciting story, but years ago a team showed up at my local indoor skatepark.  still have no idea who this team was, but the only person i recognized was Oscar Jordan. 

It sticks out in my mind because he had two pairs of shoes, his skate shoes and his chiller shoes.  he would sit down, put his chill shoes on, and just sit there... then he'd put his skate shoes on, go skate for ten minutes, then come back, and put his chill shoes back on and just sit there.  i swear he must have done this 10 times for the 2 hours I was there... the whole thing was really baffling to me.

pissedead

• Rep: 2
« Reply #670 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
ten or so years ago at tampa pro, a twelve year old me asked for a picture with mike v. my friend who was taking the photo didn't know how to use the camera, and i called him an idiot. mike v said something along the lines of "come on man that's your friend, don't sell him out like that".

saw bert wootton in a dunkin donuts in st. petersburg, florida and exchanged glances, no conversation.

Tom Brokeoff

• Rep: 2
« Reply #671 on: July 11, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »
Back around 05 I skated this barrier with Fred Gall and some of the guys from Metal Skateboards. Freddy did bigspin back disaster like 3 or 4 times in a row, switch pivot fakies (both ways if my memory serves me correct). There was a cut out in the barrier so he was doing gap to tails and front lips too. Such a rad dude. He was nice too. I kind of snaked him because I was young and still didn't know any better and he kind of just brushed it off and made light of it. He's defintely down to earth and probably better than a lot of people think.

midevilco

« Reply #672 on: July 11, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
Ones that stick out in my mind:

The first pro I ever saw/met in person was Phil Shao. I happened to be riding his wheels at the time, some 50mm Think "Rug Munchers" so I had him sign them. The only pro skater autograph I ever sought out on my own. I'd been seriously skating for maybe a year at the time, so seeing a pro skater was like seeing a god. He was nice to a 13 year old me.

The first time I ever skated SF, maybe 95, got to witness Kalis, Stevie, Lavar and Marcus skate Hubba. Kalis was showing my friend his extra padded insoles, and was super nice. The other three were skating the steps until the session ended when one of them, I want to say Marcus, broke his board. Man, I miss the San Francisco of old.

Jake Stewart- My friends and I happened to show up at a local park during a Media Skateboards / Zumiez demo. I've never been the type to try and show off or chat people up, I generally just keep my head down and skate, and go about my way. For some reason this fucking POS thought I cut him off, or was trying to show him up or something, and he went off on me in a very public fashion. He was a bigger dude too, I was 17 or 18 and wasn't going to do shit, and he knew it. He apologized for it after and we talked for a few minutes, he tried to make nice, but fuck that roid raging Red Dragon hanger-on. I had to look him up to even know what his name was at the time. If this dude ever gets a skateboard to the temple, it was me.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #673 on: July 11, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Cleaned out a ditch with Freddy once. Of course he was super nice.

Saw a car wreck with Fowler and Beagle once. Non of us said anything.

You loves you? Megatron.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #674 on: July 11, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Always cross paths with Heath & he's a dick every time(which I get a kick out of).
[close]

i ate lunch outside at some restaurant in downtown la. after a little bit i looked up at someone eating twenty feet in front of me and bill murray was staring me down. i looked at him for a few seconds while trying to register what was happening. i smirked and pointed. he shrugged his shoulders and held up his sandwich and i held up mine. we both had the pulled pork

for the first two months i lived in california i pretty much lived at dave bachinskys house. there were five of us crashing at his house, plus his other two roommates. a photographer who is one of my friends from back home, and tom rohrer from minnesota . we pretty much would wake up and go skating at the local park to warm up, go out street skating with whoever dave had plans to meet up with that day, and end it off drinking beers with a backyard fire/bbq. we also went camping and hiking out in the mountains, and go to arcades. dave's a solid dude. he had a bunch of extra boards laying around that he offered up, and would go through his packages and extra gear and give us clothes
[close]

I read this and thought it was amazing, then I realized who posted it and it got exponentially sicker. You comin' back to visit anytime soon?
i might come back in the winter time or early spring. i'm not sure when yet though. with my job i can't really plan that far ahead of time. i'll let you know tho

a few years ago this slap moderator vicky hit me up asking if i could let two of her friends from vancouver crash at my house. they were supposed to stay the weekend and take off for nyc. adam hopkins and gary from ultimate dist. showed up to orchard on a friday night and none of us had ever met before, obviously. they kick it the weekend and we skate and party the whole time. they were talking about leaving on the sunday and we told them they could crash longer if they wanted. in total they stayed for three weeks. at some point in that three weeks we got kidnapped. these girls got all of us super fucked up and got us in their car and just started. we woke up in conneticut the next morning freaking out, and they didn't realize why we were upset being that far away from home with no way back

fuck you bama

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #675 on: July 11, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
i was lucky to get on heaths good side i guess. one night during an emerica wild ride tour they called the shop and told us they were going to be camping close by and asked us to bring some people to party because it wasn't an advertised thing. ended up with 5 friends and the emerica team hanging out drinking all night. heath sat alone and drank from a 24 pack and i walked up and talked to him for a while, letting him know he was the best and his sight unseen part couldnt be touched. the next day i drove up a couple hours to where they had the demo and we start talking because he was by himself outside and it seemed nobody had the balls to talk to him. he remembered me, thanked me for driving to the demo, and offered me 1 of his 2 Reese's cups (a real nice move). he then told me "i hate this fucking park, i already told the guys i was not skating here today. im just gonna break my board and come back out here". Sure enough he rolls across the park a bit later, does a kickflip on the bank and breaks the tail off his board and disappears for the day.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #676 on: July 11, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
it was my first day of trying to learn how to do more on a skateboard then just use it to follow my brother around. my dad had just boughten me my first complete from the shop in vans skatepark at the block. i rolled into the kiddy course more stoked then i have or had ever been only to immediately get in austin seaholmes way as he was trying one of his goofy one wheel manual things. he flipped fucking shit and had a nervous breakdown right there in front of me, screaming 'fuck' and throwing his board. i knew right then and there that i would never stop skateboarding and that it was going to change my life. i giggled like the 9 year old kid i was and rolled on.

2 days later i was learning how to rock to fakie and wee man was there skating the mini for some reason. he was the nicest dude ever and cheered me on till i did it.

my brother used to skate c.a.s.l competitions a lot and hangout with a lot of kids who are now pro/am. ryan reyes was a friend of our's and he used to come over to my dad's house a lot. one time we were skating out front of our house and ryan was bitching about it being too hot. he stripped down into either his underwear or some sort of swim trunks and started playing in our sprinklers telling my brother to go grab him a drink. my brother said okay and came out with 3 cold gatorades, riptide rush flavor (dark purple colored) ryan got fuckin stoked and said 'one for me!' before taking a huge swig 'and one for my homies' he pulled his trunks forward and poured the gatorade on his junk. in the midst of this happening, a clump of shit just plops right on the ground. he looked up in horror, realizing that he had just drank human feces without even knowing it. he then kind of went nuts and started breaking shit but it was a hilarious moment and more then worth it. i talked to him about it recently on instagram after all these years thinking he would be bummed or have tried to forget about it but he remembered  and got a kick out of it when i brought it up. cool dude.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #677 on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
i might come back in the winter time or early spring. i'm not sure when yet though. with my job i can't really plan that far ahead of time. i'll let you know tho

a few years ago this slap moderator vicky hit me up asking if i could let two of her friends from vancouver crash at my house. they were supposed to stay the weekend and take off for nyc. adam hopkins and gary from ultimate dist. showed up to orchard on a friday night and none of us had ever met before, obviously. they kick it the weekend and we skate and party the whole time. they were talking about leaving on the sunday and we told them they could crash longer if they wanted. in total they stayed for three weeks. at some point in that three weeks we got kidnapped. these girls got all of us super fucked up and got us in their car and just started. we woke up in conneticut the next morning freaking out, and they didn't realize why we were upset being that far away from home with no way back

You're from Boston?
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #678 on: July 11, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
I got smacked in the back of the head by Sean Miller for making him wait 10 seconds to use the bathroom at Cheapskates.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #679 on: July 11, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're from Boston?
born and raised. i skated #eggs, aq, copley, the library, and orchard a lot. i also skated other stuff too like redwalls. i lived in the allston/brighton neighborhoods for the past few years before moving
fuck you bama

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #680 on: July 11, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »

my brother used to skate c.a.s.l competitions a lot and hangout with a lot of kids who are now pro/am. ryan reyes was a friend of our's and he used to come over to my dad's house a lot. one time we were skating out front of our house and ryan was bitching about it being too hot. he stripped down into either his underwear or some sort of swim trunks and started playing in our sprinklers telling my brother to go grab him a drink. my brother said okay and came out with 3 cold gatorades, riptide rush flavor (dark purple colored) ryan got fuckin stoked and said 'one for me!' before taking a huge swig 'and one for my homies' he pulled his trunks forward and poured the gatorade on his junk. in the midst of this happening, a clump of shit just plops right on the ground. he looked up in horror, realizing that he had just drank human feces without even knowing it. he then kind of went nuts and started breaking shit but it was a hilarious moment and more then worth it. i talked to him about it recently on instagram after all these years thinking he would be bummed or have tried to forget about it but he remembered  and got a kick out of it when i brought it up. cool dude.

is your brother chase gabor?
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #681 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »
Being from Kansas and now living in Birmingham, I don't get to see many pro skateboarders, so when I went up to New York a few weeks ago, my head was on a fuckin' swivel. It actually paid off. I was walking with a few friends to Brooklyn Bowl for an Animal Collective DJ set, and on the way we passed Stefan Janoski walking with a couple model-esque women. He was in the middle of a conversation so I didn't stop him, but it was still cool to see somebody I've looked up to for 10+ years. When my friends asked who he was, I described him "a very wealthy professional skateboarder that doesn't try very hard anymore." Then I wished I would have thanked him just for putting out his Subtleties part.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #682 on: July 12, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Used to see Braydon Szafranski at pharmacy in vegas all the time when I'd go to visit my dad. One time I walked in there and he was sitting down watching a video and could clearly see whale tail when he bent down and being my young naive self asked him if he was wearing a thong. He said yes and seemed pretty stoked about it.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #683 on: July 13, 2014, 01:32:03 AM »

Shit man, CASL days.  Good times.  I remember Ryan used to talk about how the type of skating always determined who won, like the kids who would frontside flips on the pyramids.  He ALWAYS had to skate to the Ramones.  Was mandatory.

Unrelated to CASL, I went to Vans Ontario park (RIP) with a friend.  We were pretty young, probably around 14 at the time.  The park was pretty empty and as we were getting set up at the counter the sales person asks if we knew who was out there skating.  He tells us Ray Barbee - I had heard of him, but really didn't know much at the time.  We skate the park and it was pretty much just Ray, my friend, and me.  At one point, I was trying to ollie this gap into a bank.  I finally made it with Ray and my friend standing right there and Ray just starts slapping his board against the ramp, cheering.  SUCH a cool guy.

Similar thing happened with Chad Fernandez, he'd always be stoked when my friends and I would hit some decent tricks at Glendale skatepark.

I saw tons of pros/ams/flow yet to be pro over at Skatelab in Simi back in the day.  Thing that stands out the most was seeing Paul there and skating the handrail they had in the second room at the time.  At the time I had an order of tricks I'd do on the rail, starting from basic and building up.  I pulled a front feeble first go and my friends looked at me like 'WTF?'  Turns out Paul had locked up a couple times and I had just looked like a dick trying to 'show up' a pro.  In reality it was just next trick on my list, I didn't realize he had tried a couple without landing.  Then, of course, he nailed a switch front feebs first try right after.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #684 on: July 13, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »

why was there human feces in the gatorade?

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #685 on: July 13, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah man cause pulling a prank on your friend is the same as shoving a screwdriver up someone's asshole....

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #686 on: July 13, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
Fred Gall '02 DNA tour. He was still brown baggy pulled up cargo pants Gall. He was walking in to the park with a stack of boards. My buddy and I were having a smoke, and a little shit kid goes up to Fred and says "hey lemme get a board" Fred says "we are about to toss these, I'll look for you in the crowd." Shit kid says "you're ignorant" Fred turns and yells "your fucking ignorant!" I have been a die hard gall fan ever since.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #687 on: July 13, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
Fred Gall '02 DNA tour. He was still brown baggy pulled up cargo pants Gall. He was walking in to the park with a stack of boards. My buddy and I were having a smoke, and a little shit kid goes up to Fred and says "hey lemme get a board" Fred says "we are about to toss these, I'll look for you in the crowd." Shit kid says "you're ignorant" Fred turns and yells "your fucking ignorant!" I have been a die hard gall fan ever since.

That's fucking rad. +1 point for Gall for being a nice guy to a little shit, and another +1 for setting him straight after the kid well full-little-shit

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #688 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
yeah man cause pulling a prank on your friend is the same as shoving a screwdriver up someone's asshole....

ah yeah the ol' "shit in your friends gatorade and watch him drink it" prank, that one is a classic
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #689 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »
Mike Carroll and Rick Howard came into a bar I was at. Rick peed on train tracks across the street and I told Carroll to make his shape in 8.5. He bought me and my lady a shot of tequila.