Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 148809 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
saw Nuge and Figgy and some other dudes today sitting outside at Reservoir restaurant in Silverlake.  that place is kind of fancy shmancy..  those Deathwish checks must be pretty good
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

sheboyganheadben

• Rep: -21
  • shotgun to the dick
« Reply #451 on: July 24, 2011, 06:32:46 PM »
i grew up in wisconsin with the coolest mom ever. she took us to 4 seasons all the time and would chill there and became friends with neil the owner and a buncha the dudes who worked there, took me and my bro and all our friends and like dudes from the northern ahtletik team to louisville ky. anyways,4 seasons was lutzka's old stomping ground and my mom was super loud and became friends with him. anyways we got to skate his like 18th or 19th bday party at 4 seasons. must have been like 02 or 03. they had that punk rock band playing in the park that uses guitars and shit made out of old school decks. anyways, only us like little park groms were there because greg and all the older guys were burning in the limo with the von zipper models. it was pretty awesome though.

my mom asked brad staba what a beef flag was after she saw it in a marc johnson ad at the hot chocolate demo in milwaukee. super funny. he laughed and just said it was anatomy and my mom asked male or female and he laughed and said female. we ended up staying in the same hotel as the entire team in chicago the very next day. i almost pissed when gino got out of the elevator i was getting into. too scared to say anything though.

but for sure the dopest encounter i've ever had with a pro was when i was in 8th grade. my buddies dad had a business trip out in cali so me, this kid travis erickson from madison (super rad skater who lives out in SF and rides for santa cruz now. hes been gettin a little bit of coverage lately), and this kid garret went out there and we were staying between garrett's dad's hotel by santa monica pier and this dude trevor who use to manage 4 season's madison. trevor took us to wilson elementary, the spot with the blue bleachers. and brian wenning and kelly hart showed up. kelly was just SHREDDING. like i had never seen switch flips so high in my life. but they were there with a crew so we didnt talk to them. anyways, when we stayed with garret's dad; every morning we'd wake up super early and skate down to the santa monica sand gaps. and like two days in a row, at like 8 am, brian wenning was there by himself sessioning the end block. and this is right after the DC video came out and there was that whole video segment about how he disappeared and no one could find him and there he fucking was. he would just skate back and forth and just bang out every ledge trick switch and regular. come thru back 50-50, do it switch, back 5-0, come around and do it switch. ect, ect. after like an hour he sits down and we go up to him and are like damn dude you're brian wenning? we thought you disappeared blah blah blah. and he laughed like na that shit was a joke. anyways we just chilled on the blocks with him for like an hour and a half talking about skating. he was super fuckin cool. said DC flew him and his friends out because it was winter back in NJ. he was asking us about wisconsin, about spots, about what we were skating out there, just a ton of shit. dude was super cool, especially since it was 3 little ass kids. i feel bad about all the whirlwind of bullshit that swirled around him.

"One time I was on mushrooms and I was skating vert and it was kill. Everything turned into sequences. Kickflips would be like: click, click, click...It was Kill"-Darren Navarette

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #452 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
i grew up in wisconsin with the coolest mom ever. she took us to 4 seasons all the time and would chill there and became friends with neil the owner and a buncha the dudes who worked there, took me and my bro and all our friends and like dudes from the northern ahtletik team to louisville ky. anyways,4 seasons was lutzka's old stomping ground and my mom was super loud and became friends with him. anyways we got to skate his like 18th or 19th bday party at 4 seasons. must have been like 02 or 03. they had that punk rock band playing in the park that uses guitars and shit made out of old school decks. anyways, only us like little park groms were there because greg and all the older guys were burning in the limo with the von zipper models. it was pretty awesome though.

my mom asked brad staba what a beef flag was after she saw it in a marc johnson ad at the hot chocolate demo in milwaukee. super funny. he laughed and just said it was anatomy and my mom asked male or female and he laughed and said female. we ended up staying in the same hotel as the entire team in chicago the very next day. i almost pissed when gino got out of the elevator i was getting into. too scared to say anything though.

but for sure the dopest encounter i've ever had with a pro was when i was in 8th grade. my buddies dad had a business trip out in cali so me, this kid travis erickson from madison (super rad skater who lives out in SF and rides for santa cruz now. hes been gettin a little bit of coverage lately), and this kid garret went out there and we were staying between garrett's dad's hotel by santa monica pier and this dude trevor who use to manage 4 season's madison. trevor took us to wilson elementary, the spot with the blue bleachers. and brian wenning and kelly hart showed up. kelly was just SHREDDING. like i had never seen switch flips so high in my life. but they were there with a crew so we didnt talk to them. anyways, when we stayed with garret's dad; every morning we'd wake up super early and skate down to the santa monica sand gaps. and like two days in a row, at like 8 am, brian wenning was there by himself sessioning the end block. and this is right after the DC video came out and there was that whole video segment about how he disappeared and no one could find him and there he fucking was. he would just skate back and forth and just bang out every ledge trick switch and regular. come thru back 50-50, do it switch, back 5-0, come around and do it switch. ect, ect. after like an hour he sits down and we go up to him and are like damn dude you're brian wenning? we thought you disappeared blah blah blah. and he laughed like na that shit was a joke. anyways we just chilled on the blocks with him for like an hour and a half talking about skating. he was super fuckin cool. said DC flew him and his friends out because it was winter back in NJ. he was asking us about wisconsin, about spots, about what we were skating out there, just a ton of shit. dude was super cool, especially since it was 3 little ass kids. i feel bad about all the whirlwind of bullshit that swirled around him.
Did your mom fuck any pros?

sheboyganheadben

• shotgun to the dick
« Reply #453 on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just one professional radiologist aka my dad... you bitch.

"One time I was on mushrooms and I was skating vert and it was kill. Everything turned into sequences. Kickflips would be like: click, click, click...It was Kill"-Darren Navarette

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #454 on: July 24, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
Was your dad ever a pro skater?

Jack Klompis

• Rep: 53
  • you want the pen??
« Reply #455 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »
lets see some pics of her, if that dude posted pictures of his mom with duke's nukem all over her chest you can post some pictures of your mom before brad staba was grippin her beef flag like iwo jima
look who's eating dinner at 6 o'clock

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
lets see some pics of her, if that dude posted pictures of his mom with duke's nukem all over her chest you can post some pictures of your mom before brad staba was grippin her beef flag like iwo jima

amazing.
You loves you? Megatron.

skateordie

• Rep: -40
« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

just one professional radiologist aka my dad... you bitch.

fair question.

DaveZ92

• Rep: -4
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
« Reply #458 on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:50 AM »
my uncle use to own a skateshop in St. Petersburg, FL and a few years ago I went out there for a demo and autograph signing thing with the Elwood team.
Later that evening we went out and had dinner with Kenny Anderson, Dan Drehobl, and Silas Baxter-Neal. It was fucking awesome.
Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy.

Miadaskate

• Rep: 1
« Reply #459 on: July 25, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
Zero demo a few years ago. I shook Jamie Thomas' hand and had some small-talk. I felt cool because I met a legend and felt like a dick at the same time for initiating the hand-shake, because he had his kid in his arms.

At a Toy Demo I convinced Matt Bennett to keep trying switch inwards on this bank since he was really close. He landed it next try.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:58:17 AM by Miadaskate »

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
I was at a Zero demo 3 years ago, and when it was over, those guys asked me and a friend of mine to go out to eat with them. So I had pizza and beer with James Brockman, Jamie Tancowny, Keegan Sauder, Marisa Dal Santo, and Donovon Piscopo.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »
So as soon as I got out of work. I went to an Animal Collective show. I went by myself so I made sure to kinda get in the front row. I ended up just being in front of the right speaker,my right. Anyway, I'm just standing there and then the opening act plays. Then when AC goes up on stage. The security says "Let this guy in". He walks by me and through the gate. Then he sat down right in front of me. He had a Supreme hat with the S logo on backwards. and a Bad Brains shirt. I couldn't see his face at all. I thought "damn, he's wearing some Atiba gear." I noticed he also had a Supreme camera bag. Then he moved to the middle in front of the stage. I looked at his face and thought "shit, this guy looks like Atiba. What is he doing in this small town?". So I keep staring at him then when the show is over he's walking away and I ask him "Hey, you Atiba?" then he says "yeah" in his distinct voice. We shook hands and he just asked me if I thought the show was sick. I ended up just taking a cell phone photo of him. He was all like "you don't want a photo together?" then I just snapped one. I went back in a second though to get a photo with him. He was just standing alone in the crowd playing with his phone anyway. I didn't want to bother him so I just left.  but still nerded out from a distance.

nothing's been the since same

anderwv

• Rep: 0
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »
my uncle use to own a skateshop in St. Petersburg, FL and a few years ago I went out there for a demo and autograph signing thing with the Elwood team.
Later that evening we went out and had dinner with Kenny Anderson, Dan Drehobl, and Silas Baxter-Neal. It was fucking awesome.

the finest skate shop yeah? i was at that demo too ha

sheboyganheadben

• shotgun to the dick
« Reply #463 on: July 25, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »

i wish i had a pic of her wirg staba or any of the pros shes ended up talking to by taking us to demos. sadly no. she weirded out rattray one time because he was asking dudes for pbr and she said peanut butter sandwich? yea shes pretty clueless. whats this story about a mom with money shot on her chest? i mean really? and why does her son have photos of it? i underestimated the nastiness of the slap forum.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #464 on: July 25, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
i saw alex olson sk8ing in da raw streetz the other day. pretty boi swag.

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2011, 12:02:05 PM »
I met the Supra team when they were in Sweden a month ago. I talked alot with The Muska.  It rained that day so they couldn't skate the park at all, so the first thing I said to him was that he should go out there and put down the tailslide in the rain, just like he did in Fulfill the Dream, he laughed and started to talk about that day when he filmed it. I was pretty drunk, but I told him that he ruined the late 90s in a good way, I hope he understood that I wasn't trying to be a prick. He signed my tank top with a big ass ghetto blaster and when he left, a plastic bag got stuck under his shoe and he didn't notice it, so I yelled to him "Muska! Your shoes, get that plastic bag off your shoe, you look ridiculous!" and he started laughing.

One of my top five moments in my life.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

no thanks

« Reply #466 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I had John Cardiel sign my deck as a kid. It doesn't get much better than that.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #467 on: July 25, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
Meeting Tk and lizard king at the denver airport. They were very nice

police state

• Rep: 22
« Reply #468 on: July 25, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
Mark Appleyard came by my park one day.  We chatted for a bit and he said him and his girlfriend and brother were driving across canada, stopping at different parks.  He said he's always wanted to skate this park and that a skateshop owner rented him a hotel room so that he could stay longer.  Later when I talked to that same shop owner he said Mark did not stay and extra charges were added to the room because it reeked of marijuana.
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

DaveZ92

• Rep: -4
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes! at the beach park ha
Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy.

anderwv

• Rep: 0
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yes! at the beach park ha

tommy is a sick dude. sucks the shop had to close up.

kevbo999

« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2011, 08:29:48 AM »
The Element team did a demo here yesterday (Nick Garcia fuckin rips and Apples is still amazing to watch).. anyway.. I saw them all at a coffee shop this morning.  I always feel like pros don't wanna be bothered, so I just said "Sick demo yesterday man" to Nyjah on my way out.  He stared through me but it was probably due to my awkwardness.  Their filmer said thanks, though.

superslopp

« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
brandon biebel signed a condom for me. and ishod glared at me once.

that's all i got

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65425
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #473 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »
Smashed a bunch of beers and smoked a bag of weed with Fred Gall at an Ipath demo. He kinda just came up to me and 3 of my friends who were lurking in the old part of the park and just started shooting the shit. I asked him if he wanted to blaze, he obliged. So we ditched the demo and went and sat on some giant rock and just shot the shit, smoked and drank for a while. Tightest dude ever, fit right in with the locals instantly.

Backside LameFlip

• Rep: -16
« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
During the filming of Sorry, I saw Arto Saari and Salabanzi skating in Paris.

That particular session really blew my mind as it was (at the time) impossible to tell if Arto was goofy or regular. I mean REALLY impossible.
I exchanged a few words with Bastien in french but he seemed constantly angry on his ledge tricks. He was sorta young at the time and definitely not the chilll guy he is now.
Haters hate only the things they can't have and the people they can't be.

foureyedjim

« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
Skating sunnyvale a few years back.  I was just riding around the very edge of the park, and all of a sudden, Steve Cab fucking launches out of the bowl and pushes me into the outer fence ahahahaha

He promptly helped me up and we just sorta laughed it off.  Nice dude, he was skating there with his daughter.

In fact, I think sunnyvale is where I see most of tiltmode / enjoi.  One time I was riding a really shitty setup and I had earphones on so I couldn't hear very well.  Apparently Caswell Berry was trying to get my attention but he couldn't, so eventually he just threw a semi used deck in front of me as i was skating by haha.  He also gave me wheels and bearings.

Good times!

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
I used to buy shoes from Caswell's mother, Mary. She used to sell me those CX203's for like 20-30 bucks a pair. That count?

foureyedjim

« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
I used to buy shoes from Caswell's mother, Mary. She used to sell me those CX203's for like 20-30 bucks a pair. That count?

haha Caswell's family...for some reason I know countless people that happen to know either his mom or his dad.  Funny...

kevbo999

« Reply #478 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
Mary Berry?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #479 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
Lately there have been a good amount of skaters that have come into my work. I had Danny Cerezini yesterday, hooked him up with an extra discount. Also had Julian Davidson and Felipe Gustavo too. All of them were really cool.