Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 142534 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
Re: Jobs
« Reply #810 on: August 14, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
found out yesterday i didnt get the job as a mail man i applied for a few weeks ago. super bummed.

the hunt continues

When I was 13 I wanted to be a mail carrier. My dad told me that w/o military service it is tough to have a route. A walking route is probably so coveted that you need to be senior and bid for it.

If you don’t mind being on the road how about truck driving? Go get a CDL. You may have to do overnights to begin but there is currently a huge need for drivers. Or what about becoming an equipment operator? There is a school for that right of the Turnpike—8A I believe.

I don’t know if now is a great time to look for a job as it seems the country is at full employment and a recession is coming round the corner.

I am giving you some of my ideas just in case my employer decides to let me go. You never know...

creaturefiend420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #811 on: August 14, 2019, 01:55:12 PM »
Work as a line cook until i finish up university, one of the better paying jobs i could work considering i can only work evening/night shifts plus it’s a super chill owner and im basically my own boss when im there

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #812 on: August 14, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Work as a line cook until i finish up university, one of the better paying jobs i could work considering i can only work evening/night shifts plus it’s a super chill owner and im basically my own boss when im there

I did lots of restaurant stuff before I graduated. It can be really good experience. Especially if you get into inventory management (put some spin to make it sound better - fifo, explaining the method for determining when an order needs to be made, monitoring for spoiled goods, etc.)

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #813 on: August 15, 2019, 07:08:10 AM »
I am a cnc machinist in a prototype shop
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

creaturefiend420

• Rep: 0
« Reply #814 on: August 16, 2019, 03:33:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did lots of restaurant stuff before I graduated. It can be really good experience. Especially if you get into inventory management (put some spin to make it sound better - fifo, explaining the method for determining when an order needs to be made, monitoring for spoiled goods, etc.)
yeah i was a kitchen manager before but decided to go back to school so just been working evenings a couple days a week, i like cooking but hate the pay lmfao

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #815 on: August 16, 2019, 04:12:28 AM »
I have three interviews today for the position I applied for. I guess I passed the technical screening, so that's good.

It's funny because I got called last night and was up until 1am troubleshooting this team's configuration on something that we kinda support but really it's theirs to own...we just do it to be nice. So I can mention that in one of the sessions today.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #816 on: August 16, 2019, 05:39:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah i was a kitchen manager before but decided to go back to school so just been working evenings a couple days a week, i like cooking but hate the pay lmfao

I worked this one kitchen gig while I was living at the beach a couple of summers ago. The head chef was a very cool guy and we could smoke weed in the walk-in, which was a huge perk of the job. But the manager was just the worst, and when one of my coworkers lost one of my checks in his car as he was delivering it to me, she refused to write a new one, citing “tax complications.” So I called the department of labor, figured my shit out and threatened her with a report. The lady was furious , and when I finally got my check she had deducted 55 dollars as an “inconvience fee.” I left a copy of the Communist Manifesto in her mailbox and never went back. Didn’t even bother to get my last check because it wasn’t even about the money. In other words, restaurants are sweet until you get dicked.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #817 on: August 16, 2019, 05:41:18 AM »
im looking to leave the job at the skateshop ive worked at for 10 years- east coast slappers holler at your boy for work!

What part of the East Coast?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #818 on: August 16, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
About to work some overtime. I fucking hate being at my job but never work overtime. Just started a couple weeks ago. How it works is you don’t get paid time and a half until you have done 40 hours of overtime. That 40 hours goes into a bank and you can actually use it for vacation. So you get paid regular hourly and then you can use that bank as vacation time. But you have to build it back up to 40 hours again for any additional overtime to be paid time and a half.

Kinda sucks kinda good. I’ve worked here 8 years and never built up 40 hours because fuck slaving at a job. But I’m gonna do it over these next couple months to help with bills and Christmas.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #819 on: September 09, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Can’t remember if I’ve already replied in this thread. Work for a tech company in DTLA. Job revolves around audio production (bands or podcasts), video production, event production and live streaming. Work from home 2-3 days a week, travel between NY and EU 1 week out of the month.

I’d really like to get into video journalism or documentaries in the future.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #820 on: August 23, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
Any energy advisors in the house?  From what I’ve heard it’s due to be a very in demand, good paying job.  Can’t keep scraping by doing back breaking construction my whole life, so I’m trying to explore career change options that don’t involve full time schooling.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: August 23, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Any energy advisors in the house?  From what I’ve heard it’s due to be a very in demand, good paying job.  Can’t keep scraping by doing back breaking construction my whole life, so I’m trying to explore career change options that don’t involve full time schooling.

My brother in law and his wife were a team doing this but they make more money buying homes in foreclosure, renovating and renting or selling.

If you go the solar route make sure you are the closer. Do not go door to door or work the phones. Those jobs earn min wage with commission potential.

How about home inspection or appraisal? Housing market is hot and there are a lot of services in that industry. My one friend does estimating for industrial flooring and he makes decent money. Good luck.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #822 on: August 23, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Definitely not looking to do door to door or outbound sales calls, just know there’s people around here who will go into houses and tell you all the ways you can improve energy efficiency, then hook you up with technicians to do the work.

Inspection, appraisal and estimating all sound like solid choices too.  Just seem more complicated to get into.  We have government programs and testing here to become a certified EA, just starting to do research now.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: August 23, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »
My friend is a teacher and his brother is a realtor in Jersey City. He is telling his brother to either do appraisals in the summer or full time. He would definitely make more money than teaching and you learn on the job. They are short these individuals because most people want to be realtors in hopes of big money but all the other ancillary jobs in the industry (like title officer) are much more stable. If you have a construction background you would fit into being a certified AE. Starting salary is $20-$25 an hour during training but that should only be a six month to a year program.

https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/real-estate-appraiser
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 03:30:21 PM by GardenSkater77 »

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #824 on: August 23, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
Im a giggalo. Prolly fucked ur girl in ocean city MD.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #825 on: August 24, 2021, 04:34:23 AM »
Good one.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #826 on: August 24, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
I manage a pizza restaurant. It's not too bad. I work from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm so it's not too busy. I'm actually at work as I type this.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #827 on: August 24, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
Good one.
Giving off real heavy "my wife left me" vibes just saying

somefucker

« Reply #828 on: August 25, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
I design/create labels for disinfectants and ppe for a pharmaceutical company. Very boring, but steady, easy-ish work. I work 7-3 which gives me time to skate. I lurk between projects at work.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #829 on: August 25, 2021, 09:02:04 PM »

Bro just work for yourself or work on contract for bigger companies
Construction is sick we eating over here

Edit

All countries probably different but domestic is for fuckwits IMO just do commercial bro you’re not gonna make any money fucking around in some pensioners bathroom and all the other trades on those jobs are usually losers just do commercial bro
listen to cosmic psychos

Fhk

« Reply #830 on: August 26, 2021, 05:27:27 AM »
It is crazy in Maine/NH everywhere I look there are still well established restaurants closing because they can't find help. A lot of places I see are going to just doing takeout with limited menus, leaving 50 or more tables empty. Trucking/construction companies are also desperate for help. Even a local ski mountain is hiring for pretty much every available position from janitor to management. A lot of people I know who's businesses rely on tourism are suffering because the good help they do have are being extremely overworked and treated like shit by their patrons.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #831 on: August 26, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »
It is crazy in Maine/NH everywhere I look there are still well established restaurants closing because they can't find help. A lot of places I see are going to just doing takeout with limited menus, leaving 50 or more tables empty. Trucking/construction companies are also desperate for help. Even a local ski mountain is hiring for pretty much every available position from janitor to management. A lot of people I know who's businesses rely on tourism are suffering because the good help they do have are being extremely overworked and treated like shit by their patrons.

I think it's more rural where you live than me, jobs that  kids would probably work like grocery stores, gas stations, coffee joints, etc where we grew up, are probably like 75% staffed by people 25 and up. I guess it's a common theme because when I was back in the 508 last spring, I kind of saw that as well.

What's the real estate situation looking like up there right now? coming down at all?

Are real estate prices dropping yet up there?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: August 26, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit

All countries probably different but domestic is for fuckwits IMO just do commercial bro you’re not gonna make any money fucking around in some pensioners bathroom and all the other trades on those jobs are usually losers just do commercial bro
I actually do commercial work haha.  Installing random shit in schools, hospitals, offices, etc.  The company I work for supplies all tools and materials, van and gas card, pays for travel to and from job sites... honestly the costs of going on contract would financially cripple me for awhile, and my hourly income would barely be higher after taxes/insurance, etc.  I’d also have to work a lot harder probably. 

Like most people, I just want an easier job that pays more.  But looking at job ads and current wages often reminds me that I’m pretty lucky to have the gig I do.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: August 26, 2021, 11:18:20 AM »
My wife makes $675 in unemployment for the last 15 months. Plus every now and again the Federal government sends us checks. Why would someone want to go back to work when you receive money for not working?

The government needs to tighten up unemployment and probably should have before this summer.

For a mom it makes sense to back away from the work force and take care of your own kids instead of paying $1K per month per child for daycare.

There are so many issues in the economy right now it is hard to know where we are going and that is scary.

Fhk

« Reply #834 on: August 26, 2021, 11:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's more rural where you live than me, jobs that  kids would probably work like grocery stores, gas stations, coffee joints, etc where we grew up, are probably like 75% staffed by people 25 and up. I guess it's a common theme because when I was back in the 508 last spring, I kind of saw that as well.

What's the real estate situation looking like up there right now? coming down at all?

Real estate hasn't really budged much yet, which is fucking crazy to me. There are "camps" that literally should be demolished going for 150-200k. I have received multiple offers for my house that are 3 times what I payed for it..and it's not even for sale. When it goes down I do expect you to move here though homey..so I will keep you up to date  ;D

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #835 on: August 26, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
I’m a mechanical engineer, moved back into the engine powered industry from aerospace, and I’m liking it more.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #836 on: August 26, 2021, 12:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit

I worked construction in Oz

You cunts don't know how good you have it. The pay is amazing over there. And let's be honest you don't work that hard.

I'm back in my home country on a pittance pov wage breaking my fucking back.

I'd love to be back on the roofs in Darwin
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

sketchyrider

« Reply #837 on: August 26, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
currently a tech support agent. pay isn't great but its enough to keep me alive. working from home is easy and keeps costs down.

definitely ready to move on to something better in the IT field but i think i will need some certs. friend recommended microsoft stuff, will be checking that out soon. would love to hear any advice from slap pals in the field.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #838 on: August 26, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Real estate hasn't really budged much yet, which is fucking crazy to me. There are "camps" that literally should be demolished going for 150-200k. I have received multiple offers for my house that are 3 times what I payed for it..and it's not even for sale. When it goes down I do expect you to move here though homey..so I will keep you up to date  ;D

ya man, that's what its going like here as well. there's 3 main towns on the north coast, one with the small university, one a city that's fairly gross but has some decent places, and the unincorporated (no city stuff, no police, only sheriff) town I live in. The college town has always been kind of expensive, but the other two have been hella affordable and it's gotten crazy. I'm seeing houses in the less popular areas for 3-450 that were 2-250 just 2 years ago. I saw a house in the more desirable town that was on the market for 300 for 4 years I lived on that block, eventually they took it off and it just sold for 425. shits nuts dude. We are trying to buy something and sell it when we move east just because renting is a waste of money, but we're talking like 50-70k down. whaaaaaaat the fuck
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #839 on: August 26, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit

[close]

I worked construction in Oz

You cunts don't know how good you have it. The pay is amazing over there. And let's be honest you don't work that hard.

I'm back in my home country on a pittance pov wage breaking my fucking back.

I'd love to be back on the roofs in Darwin

Ah everyone cops some shit days but yeah try to have a good time for sure
I fuck around on Instagram most days haha

How good is darwin mate, the sunsets are unreal there
listen to cosmic psychos