Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 116099 times)

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #870 on: November 24, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After some 7 years in banking related IT field which was the most useless and boring and just stupid shit ever, I've now been working almost 5 years at a mobile gaming startup (or atleast it was a startup originally, maybe too big for that already). I work mostly in testing so it's still boring and not very stimulating work, and I took a considerable paycut to start working there, but everyone at the company is super talented and smart and nice and since it's a small company I have been able to be included in a lot of stuff and have some authority due to being one of the oldest workers there. And most excitingly it's looking like we are on the way to being able to start getting some monetary benefits of our success in the near-ish future, which may have some life-altering effects.

For literally years I did next to nothing while waiting for the company to scale up so I would have more to do and lately I've finally had to start busting my ass a bit but now we are also growing so fast that suddenly there are all these new seasoned senior people being brought in and they start shitting on all the old workers saying that this is how things should be done because it's how we did it at my previous (failed) company. So now we're fighting the market and competitors on the outside and new conflicting ideas on the inside while trying to keep the thing heading in the right direction.

My dream is to build a new house in my dad's childhood place which is basically an orchard in the countryside and start growing vines and doing passion projects / hobbies instead of working a "job", but I guess pretty much everyone would prefer that. I've heard of people who have been given that opportunity of financial independence and they always say that after a few weeks of sitting around they want to go back to work, but I'm pretty sure they don't skate and I also have an insanely good tolerance for boredom (hence software testing).
[close]

fuuuuck that. periods when I haven't had to a job are amazing. there's always things to do, whether it's leisure, working on things on your space/property, making things, learning things, etc. Going to a job outside the home everyday is a pretty new phenomenon in human history. Shit sucks. Maybe it depends on where you live. It might be boring in a suburb or something, but even then, if you've got financial independence, make some shit happen.
[close]
I used to think I had to work a ton or I was a lazy fuck. That sure as fuck changed with time, I haven't worked since I parked my truck in early October, and I love it. Seeing that I live in the sticks I take hikes in the mountains almost every day with my kids and my dog, skate when it's above 32, and if I start to feel lazy I fuck around in my yard or work on my houses. I look forward to taking the Winter off maybe I will even try to like snowboarding again. I wish I realized in my 30's just work to live don't live to work.

likewise.

you go x-country skiing or snowshoeing? I never had em but gotta get some when I move back.
stay high, lay low

Seventyfuhkinseven

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #871 on: November 24, 2021, 08:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After some 7 years in banking related IT field which was the most useless and boring and just stupid shit ever, I've now been working almost 5 years at a mobile gaming startup (or atleast it was a startup originally, maybe too big for that already). I work mostly in testing so it's still boring and not very stimulating work, and I took a considerable paycut to start working there, but everyone at the company is super talented and smart and nice and since it's a small company I have been able to be included in a lot of stuff and have some authority due to being one of the oldest workers there. And most excitingly it's looking like we are on the way to being able to start getting some monetary benefits of our success in the near-ish future, which may have some life-altering effects.

For literally years I did next to nothing while waiting for the company to scale up so I would have more to do and lately I've finally had to start busting my ass a bit but now we are also growing so fast that suddenly there are all these new seasoned senior people being brought in and they start shitting on all the old workers saying that this is how things should be done because it's how we did it at my previous (failed) company. So now we're fighting the market and competitors on the outside and new conflicting ideas on the inside while trying to keep the thing heading in the right direction.

My dream is to build a new house in my dad's childhood place which is basically an orchard in the countryside and start growing vines and doing passion projects / hobbies instead of working a "job", but I guess pretty much everyone would prefer that. I've heard of people who have been given that opportunity of financial independence and they always say that after a few weeks of sitting around they want to go back to work, but I'm pretty sure they don't skate and I also have an insanely good tolerance for boredom (hence software testing).
[close]

fuuuuck that. periods when I haven't had to a job are amazing. there's always things to do, whether it's leisure, working on things on your space/property, making things, learning things, etc. Going to a job outside the home everyday is a pretty new phenomenon in human history. Shit sucks. Maybe it depends on where you live. It might be boring in a suburb or something, but even then, if you've got financial independence, make some shit happen.
[close]
I used to think I had to work a ton or I was a lazy fuck. That sure as fuck changed with time, I haven't worked since I parked my truck in early October, and I love it. Seeing that I live in the sticks I take hikes in the mountains almost every day with my kids and my dog, skate when it's above 32, and if I start to feel lazy I fuck around in my yard or work on my houses. I look forward to taking the Winter off maybe I will even try to like snowboarding again. I wish I realized in my 30's just work to live don't live to work.
[close]

likewise.

you go x-country skiing or snowshoeing? I never had em but gotta get some when I move back.
Yessir I just started snowshoeing last winter. My in-laws gave me a beautiful set but I only got out twice. This winter I plan on getting out a lot more. It's a great workout and I need it come snowfall. Shit I may start looking for moose horns just to add to the fun.
What's the word?
Tell me brother, have you heard
From Johannesburg?

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #872 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »
I got a cleaning job. Five hour shifts and I can do the work in one hour and still get paid for five. Take that you poosey little call centre that fired me.

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #873 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

likewise.

[close]
Yessir I just started snowshoeing last winter. My in-laws gave me a beautiful set but I only got out twice. This winter I plan on getting out a lot more. It's a great workout and I need it come snowfall. Shit I may start looking for moose horns just to add to the fun.

ayeee that'd be sick. get high and cruise.

moose are baddass. we've got elk over here, but they're like 2/3 moose size. found some pretty massive elk antlers in a redwood forest once. but only once.
stay high, lay low

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -666
« Reply #874 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:19 PM »
I work as a Fund admin at one of the largest insurase company in Sweden. It's alright, pays alright.

I start at 07:00 and get the fuck out at 15:30. 90% of my work is done with headphones. The co-workers are kinds of alright. However, there's plenty of high school drama shit. Oh, well.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2021, 02:22:27 PM »
I work as a Fund admin at one of the largest insurase company in Sweden. It's alright, pays alright.

I start at 07:00 and get the fuck out at 15:30. 90% of my work is done with headphones. The co-workers are kinds of alright. However, there's plenty of high school drama shit. Oh, well.

Huh, I guess all jobs there are kind of the same. Except I loathe my coworkers.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

dofrenzy

• Rep: 78
« Reply #876 on: December 05, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »
I left my computer career in 2019 after 23 years.  Unix/Linux sysadmin type stuff.

Stay at home Dad for about 2.5 years after that, which included LOTS of skating.  E.g. - In October I averaged a 42 minute skate every day of the month on my backyard mini.

3 weeks ago started part-time as a package handler for one of the big package moving/delivery companies.

Also own 2 buildings with 9 apartments total for the past 10 years, so landlord and property manager for that time as well.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -666
« Reply #877 on: December 05, 2021, 11:11:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Huh, I guess all jobs there are kind of the same. Except I loathe my coworkers.

Yeah, probably the same.

Sharp-o

• Rep: 0
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #878 on: December 06, 2021, 05:24:27 AM »
Been working at McD for a few months now. Kinda liking it making my own money is sick!

Seventyfuhkinseven

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #879 on: December 06, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
Been working at McD for a few months now. Kinda liking it making my own money is sick!
Shit ya man! Good for you
What's the word?
Tell me brother, have you heard
From Johannesburg?

Sharp-o

• Rep: 0
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #880 on: December 06, 2021, 08:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shit ya man! Good for you

Thanks lad. I tought that k would be total garbage but it is not half bad.

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #881 on: December 06, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #882 on: December 06, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
software tester for robots
ONTARIO CANADA

lazer69

• Rep: -103
« Reply #883 on: December 06, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
IT or software testing seems like it would cool to me. At least your inside, clean, use your brain, and probably not too physically toast to skate. Im about to start a job as a vehicle inspector this month. Likely checking for damage for wholesale or auction cars or something like that. It's probably going to suck since I'm going to be outside all day and the winters are gnarly here and the pay is low.

I plan to keep apply to digital marketing jobs since that's what I studied but trying arrange interviews is going to be challenging.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -545
« Reply #884 on: Today at 04:00:35 AM »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in