Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 144120 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #360 on: May 07, 2012, 04:20:47 AM »
^I just finished working for a student storage company doing moving/courier type work and I agree with your pops, its amazing being on the road by yourself, enjoying the sun, meeting new people and what not.   

I know a guy who worked in management for UPS.  He says being a driver is a pretty good gig.  The funny thing is how the routes are assigned.  They go by seniority.  The young drivers get bad city neighborhoods where they have to double park and deliver hundreds of packages to huge apartment buildings.  The old vets take the rural routes where you deliver 10 packages a day, but drive tens of miles between them. 

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »
Expand Quote
^I just finished working for a student storage company doing moving/courier type work and I agree with your pops, its amazing being on the road by yourself, enjoying the sun, meeting new people and what not.   
[close]

I know a guy who worked in management for UPS.  He says being a driver is a pretty good gig.  The funny thing is how the routes are assigned.  They go by seniority.  The young drivers get bad city neighborhoods where they have to double park and deliver hundreds of packages to huge apartment buildings.  The old vets take the rural routes where you deliver 10 packages a day, but drive tens of miles between them. 

Yea, my Pops works in the mountains. He usually still gets 70-150 stops though.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Anybody a community studies major on here? I just changed to community studies for community development and planning for the fall semester and am not really sure what to expect.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
landscape from 9-5 monday to friday, dishwash 6-10 three or four days a week.

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
I've been working an 'in between jobs' job at Stussy's chapter store in Toronto for 2 years now. I finally got myself back into an office as a 'Social Media Coordinator' for some pretty sweet clients. I think I will be managing the brand pages for Bacardi, but I haven't started yet. Gonna keep doing sundays at Stussy, as I have kind of helped out developing a skate program for their Canadian stores, and don't want to throw that all away. I heard through the grape vine that they might take another shot at putting an American team together again, so if that happens, I don't want to be far away. Plus, I have a lot of debt, so the extra 300 a month on top of my new salary will help. I don't know what to expect out of the position, as they are just developing the department. Could be great, could be awful. I am just happy to get a company phone and dental again.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »
I'm finishing undergraduate school this week and I haven't had a "job" for the past two years, since returning to school. I've made enough money working for myself and gathering some small research grants but since I won't be in grad school until at least the spring semester 2013, I've got to find something to do. There's no way that I'll return to human/social services after reclaiming my soul over the past 2 years, and since I did that for 5 years, I'm at a loss.

I've got a good resume for a 27 year old budding academic as well as work experience but have no idea what to look into for work!

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!!!

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
^I'm in social services and loving it. What did you do?
 Getting promoted next week. More money, flexible schedule, less bullshit work, more mindful work and projects.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #367 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
I'm working two very different jobs right now.

mainly there's your typical core skate shop gig. Talking to the local homies, and vibing the kooks, all the while just selling stuff to the public that finds their way in.

The other is just restocking vending machines in a major hospital,  its easy and mindless, just rock up late at night when I want, headphones in and trundle around the place.

I do feel like im getting a little bit old (21) to be doing this kinda stuff, gotta look into gettin into more serious work or university next year

you're the biggest fucking kook in melbourne.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #368 on: May 08, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »
^I'm in social services and loving it. What did you do?
 Getting promoted next week. More money, flexible schedule, less bullshit work, more mindful work and projects.

I counseled kids/supervised group homes for youth in state custody. I did it for 5 years and really enjoyed/appreciated the kids and what we were able to do. After leaving and returning to school though, I'm not interested in going back. I still sometimes dream about the people I cared for... I woke up in a cold sweat this morning dreaming about presenting in front of a panel on Buddhism- I'd rather go that route.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Unemployed. Have a degree and office drone work exp. Trying to get regular admin job anywhere cuz I have no interests or aspirations in life besides skateboarding and playing guitar. Burnin' thru savings on rent. Just want enough to pay the bills without having to do too much of anything. Ideally seeking a favorable disparity between the amount of money I receive for the amount of work that I do. I also do freelance writing jobs for what amounts to less than half of my monthly beer intake.

How do you get freelance writing jobs? I'm a talented writer looking to cover my beer expenses.
WHERE TO LOOK?
Cold Ghengis

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
Expand Quote
they have completely renovated the place and it looks like some kind of upscale design boutique on the inside. the environment is really laid back and there are guys walking around in shorts and flip flops. they keep beer in the fridges that apparently it gets drank on fridays at around 3. it's about 2 miles from home and they have a gym that's free to use and it's located right next to a lake with jogging trails and a park that my kids can play in.
[close]
sounds like Globex in Cypress Creek... by any chance, is this your boss?

nah, not to many bros here. mostly nerds and hipster types.

after a few weeks project is still sick and they seem to like my contributions. they're wanting to hire me full time and i actually had another team that just hired an architect who used to be my boss a few projects back also show some interest in me for full time. i'd be down but "show me the money" is really where it's at. a friend who works here says the pay is great but one mans great might be another mans not so great. they give 5 weeks vacation which is tight but i don't want to take less money for benifits so hopefully they will see it the same way as i'd like to stop contracting but really cash rules...

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
Working three jobs right now, but I'll be doing something completely different this summer.

Right now:
Student writer/editor/office drone for a K-State department that handles adult education stuff. Super boring, super hanging out on SLAP at work.
Video editor/crew member for a K-State organization that covers stuff on campus/makes commercials/short films.
Assistant manager at a pizza place where I steal a lot of food and don't actually do that much work (but I am talented at tossing dough - my one trade that will at least keep me a decent pizza place cook's job for the down times in the future).

This summer:
I'll be a camp counselor at a dope sleepaway camp in Maine. Can't express my excitement, but I'm pretty nervous, too. I've never really done anything like this (being away from my friends/family/skating/civilization).

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
Working three jobs right now, but I'll be doing something completely different this summer.

Right now:
Student writer/editor/office drone for a K-State department that handles adult education stuff. Super boring, super hanging out on SLAP at work.
Video editor/crew member for a K-State organization that covers stuff on campus/makes commercials/short films.
Assistant manager at a pizza place where I steal a lot of food and don't actually do that much work (but I am talented at tossing dough - my one trade that will at least keep me a decent pizza place cook's job for the down times in the future).

This summer:
I'll be a camp counselor at a dope sleepaway camp in Maine. Can't express my excitement, but I'm pretty nervous, too. I've never really done anything like this (being away from my friends/family/skating/civilization).
Go into it excited and stay excited. It's really cool being outdoors a lot and teaching some super cool shit. I did this for the summer after I graduated high school and 3 summers in college. It's a really rewarding time and its really enjoyable. Watch "Meatballs" before hand and enjoy it. Not skating sucks though.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Unemployed. Have a degree and office drone work exp. Trying to get regular admin job anywhere cuz I have no interests or aspirations in life besides skateboarding and playing guitar. Burnin' thru savings on rent. Just want enough to pay the bills without having to do too much of anything. Ideally seeking a favorable disparity between the amount of money I receive for the amount of work that I do. I also do freelance writing jobs for what amounts to less than half of my monthly beer intake.
[close]

How do you get freelance writing jobs? I'm a talented writer looking to cover my beer expenses.
WHERE TO LOOK?

- www.kijigeek.com

- www.allofcraigs.com

- www.odesk.com

- www.guru.com

- www.elance.com

- www.freelancer.com

- Depending on what kind of writing you specialize in, you could contact companies, websites and magazines directly.  You might also want to consider offering some free writing up front to build your portfolio and build relationships.

I hope that helps, good luck.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #374 on: May 12, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »
Just finished my first week at FedEx (handler) - the job is simple and it's only like 3 hours a day. It can be exhausting and back breaking, today, some fucker ordered like 10 bundles of these 6 feet long metal pipes for god knows what. Fuck that guy. The FedEx drivers are all pretty cool dudes and are pretty funny guys.

I also got a voice message from this grocery store near my house about a job - I think I might try working two jobs, it'll probably suck and I'll have no time for anything but it's not like I've got any plans this summer.

Might have to drop the FedEx gig when school starts, don't think I have it in me to get up at 3 - 4:00AM every day to do that shit.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
Mark's Work Wearhouse. Usually either folding clothes or selling work boots. I get $10.35/hour, but I only get a shift a week since they've been cutting hours since Christmas.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:48 AM »
Any of you guys ever work as a package handler for like UPS/FedEx? I'm thinking about it, part time/throw-away beer money type of job. 4AM up to 9AM doesn't seem too bad. Does it really suck? I spent last summer grinding it out at a factory so I know a thing or two about menial repetitious work in hot conditions. 

i worked slinging boxes at UPS for 5 years from when i was 18 to 23. it was a pretty good place to work and after awhile the pay increases are awesome. if you stay long enough to get full time, the benefits are good and if you get injured on the job (there's a lot of minor sprains and pulled muscles, things like that) they take care of you and don't rush you back to the floor. the days go by fast because you're constantly busy and you're really just moving shit around all day. it seems like a little much at first because the pacing is really fast, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of.

the 4am to 9am is crazy time, because that's when everything comes off the planes and trucks and has to be sort and loaded onto the delivery trucks so they can leave at 9 for deliveries, but it goes by in a flash and then you're done.

if you're in your early 20s and looking for some scratch, i recommend it.

but for the general "what do you do?" of the thread, i work at a product design consultancy and it rules. i get to make prototypes of all different kinds of things all day. last month i worked on high end appliances (it's more fun than it sounds) and now i'm working on display panels for motorcycle manufacturer. i don't do the engineering part, so i get to just make shit up and leave it to someone else to actually physically function.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #377 on: May 12, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

WHERE TO LOOK?
[close]

- www.kijigeek.com

- www.allofcraigs.com

- www.odesk.com

- www.guru.com

- www.elance.com

- www.freelancer.com

- Depending on what kind of writing you specialize in, you could contact companies, websites and magazines directly.  You might also want to consider offering some free writing up front to build your portfolio and build relationships.

I hope that helps, good luck.

Thank you kindly, sir!
Cold Ghengis

BuddyPal

« Reply #378 on: May 12, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
where all my grocery store cashies at?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
I actually just got off the phone for a grocery position. It was pretty awkward and I had to really strain to pull answers out of my ass for all their "recall a time when you..." questions.

I might have fucked up though - I listed a friend of mine who was a cashier manager at a farmer's market in Atlanta as a reference and they got the idea that I had worked there or something and started to ask me about my experiences there, I panicked and went along with it and told the lady some vague bullshit.

They're going to call me to schedule a live interview pretty soon, I've never worked retail or dealt with customers in my life. I'm just going to go in this like I've got nothing to lose I guess

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #380 on: May 14, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I actually just got off the phone for a grocery position. It was pretty awkward and I had to really strain to pull answers out of my ass for all their "recall a time when you..." questions.

I might have fucked up though - I listed a friend of mine who was a cashier manager at a farmer's market in Atlanta as a reference and they got the idea that I had worked there or something and started to ask me about my experiences there, I panicked and went along with it and told the lady some vague bullshit.

They're going to call me to schedule a live interview pretty soon, I've never worked retail or dealt with customers in my life. I'm just going to go in this like I've got nothing to lose I guess

Most groceries around here, at least the big ones, drug test all employees and will fire your pot failing ass. Be warned

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Most groceries around here, at least the big ones, drug test all employees and will fire your pot failing ass. Be warned

As in, they drug test cashiers and stockboys? Fuck, I feel bad for the ones that aren't high.

How I got an internship doing DoD work without a drug test is beyond me. Seems like the trick to not getting tested is to work for a small company and/or to do research.
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

ball bag

• Rep: -2
« Reply #382 on: May 14, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Co-Owner/designer of a small clothing company in DC. We handmake all of our products. So I generally spend all day making belts, wallets, guitar straps, or tees.

http://jonwye.com/

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #383 on: May 14, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
i work in car detailing. i prep wash all the cars before they go on to interior & exterior detailing. i just listen to music all day & most of the people i work with are cool as fuck. imagine a bunch of black guys who're all good friends working on cars together. lots of laughs on tha daily.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
i work in car detailing. i prep wash all the cars before they go on to interior & exterior detailing. i just listen to music all day & most of the people i work with are cool as fuck. imagine a bunch of black guys who're all good friends working on cars together. lots of laughs on tha daily.

Sounds like "The Wash" with Snoop and Dre... do you ever steal napkins to put on the sink so your girls ass don't get dirty when you fuck her at work?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

penguin meat

« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
Going to be dog walking.  Pretty psyched.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Just started a war with one of our salesman because he blatantly copy and pasted the answer key onto a progress check quiz and lost his shit when I tried to call him out on it (amdittedly a bit harsh of a call out).

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
I do maintenance and custodial work at a school district. Mainly custodial now since school is still in session. I ride my board down the halls while pushing my broom for the final sweep of the night.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
got some d.o.p.e hip hop coming up at my work - mos def, doom, cypress hill, big daddy kane, slaughterhouse... and fucking wu tang got announced today. stoke

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
I work in finance/accounting, currently at an office in Soho for a company with an 85% female staff.  Loving it now, but working in finance can be fucked up.  You know stuff that you can't talk about.  At my last company there were numerous times we didn't have the cash in the bank to make payroll and would have to hit up ownership for more financing so people's checks wouldn't bounce.  Good times.