Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 144091 times)

El Chupacabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #720 on: January 10, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
Welp, got a lateral shift. I got a job at a model shop. Making tiny things for the film industry.
Shits fun, less general set work, more skilled work in the field I want to be in, so things are looking up.
Still run the skateboard company as a passion project, actually making some sales now, which is kind of amazing.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
« Reply #721 on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
I work for a borderline FAANG company, in video production/event production. Here’s my breakdown of income/expenses:

-80k annually
-Stock options (vest over 4 years)
-4900 monthly, after taxes
-Travel 1-2 weeks internationally every month for job, all expenses paid (meaning for that time period I don’t have to pay for food/well being)

-2400 rent a month, split with SO (thank god for falling in love with best friends)
-640 for car insurance and car payment (done at the end of 2k19 for car payment
-don’t keep track of food/groceries but recently stopped eating out and trying to 95% cook my own food

I’m falling into some capitol soon and wondering how to invest it. No idea what to do for best ROI.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #722 on: March 09, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »
I work for a borderline FAANG company, in video production/event production. Here’s my breakdown of income/expenses:

-80k annually
-Travel 1-2 weeks internationally every month for job, all expenses paid (meaning for that time period I don’t have to pay for food/well being)

-2400 rent a month, split with SO (thank god for falling in love with best friends)
-don’t keep track of food/groceries but recently stopped eating out and trying to 95% cook my own food

I’m falling into some capitol soon and wondering how to invest it. No idea what to do for best ROI.
Are you in LA? That's gotta be crazy being away half a month, every month.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #723 on: March 09, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
Expand Quote

-80k annually

[close]
Are you in LA? That's gotta be crazy being away half a month, every month.

Work in DTLA but live in another county. Go to the office 2-3 days a week and work from home the rest.

It’s a long story. Basically, I was hired too soon and there isn’t a lot for me to do in LA, so I got to the east coast, Europe and Asian often. The traveling should slow down a lot in Q1 of 2020.

It’s hard being in a relationship and traveling that much but we’re making it work. Prior to this I never really travelled and am enjoying it now. A large portion of my closet is dedicated to travel accessories.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #724 on: March 09, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote

-80k annually

[close]

401k. If the company matches do the max. I started mine in my mid-30s which was a mistake but in 6 years I am up to 50k which was a nice surprise.

Can you travel more and take your partner with you? Crazy savings on rent.

Open a Vanguard account. 3K I believe is all you need and you can withdraw your money whenever you like unlike a CD.

Invest in a mix of money market and stock market. Be careful entering the stock market whole hog. The past 3 months has been crazy. The market in December fell off a cliff and has almost come back, but this week was a dud and if trade talks go south the market will take a dump again.

I would say invest 50% in stocks for 2019 and see how the market does. Remember, you ain’t spending the money until you want to buy a house and if you don’t want to buy a house you ain’t spending the money until you have children—if you have them.

You are doing good thinking about this stuff. Just so you are aware since 2008 the stock market ROI year over year has been around 10%, so I think them days are over. Keep in mind when you want to use your money and invest accordingly.

Thank you for the advice! I'm 30 now and plan on buying a house in the next two years. The most simple way way it was put to me was, "When you rent, you're not paying to eventually own". Realtor friend explained to me that holding onto property for 3-5 years will pay for itself if the market doesn't collapse and you're able to flip it without much in restoration.

A family member is a stock broker and am considering handing 40-50% of the cash to her to work with. Great proven track record and has paid for two college tuitions to ivy league school+large home in West LA, only with revenue made from stock.

"Can you travel more and take your partner with you? Crazy savings on rent."
She's able to join but has to pay for her own flight. Outside of that, I can pay for all lodging/food in that time. Tried doing the math on it but her paying $500-$700 a month to save on a weeks worth of utilities/food would put us in the black. She has a decent job as well, makes close to what I make.

"401k. If the company matches do the max. I started mine in my mid-30s which was a mistake but in 6 years I am up to 50k which was a nice surprise."

Doing this ASAP

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
« Reply #725 on: March 09, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm an Auto Tech

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #726 on: March 09, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
Quit my bs marketing/pr job for the small comapny. I was severely under employed, it felt fake, like super low level, no skill or career development.  Didn't want to be cheap ofice labor. Delusional owner. New manager doesnt know what shes talking about and was getting the feeling she's a feminazi , and not a fan of straight white masculine men (me). It was so hilariously cringey how kind she was to women all the time,and how fake nice she was to me and then cunty as well. Got some toxic vibes from her.

Right now im looking for a more focused digital marketing role. Things like 'Paid search' or 'SEO'. Recently Got google adwords certification, and awhile received google analytics beginners course certification. I have a very good foundation and exposure to many aspects of marketing, I just need a good opportunity with a solid company.

two days after my last day, I went to LA for 2.5 weeks.  I did some skating and hiking, which I really needed. I Did probably 17 applications and cover letters for SoCal jobs (primarily media buying/paid search). Unfortunately the hunt for LA jobs hasnt been fruitful. I got reached out to by a company at home in Chicago, they wanted me to do a writing assessment. I spent  a lot of time on that, submitted it, and 5 days later have received no response..

My career can only go up from here. Theres no way I can work for as cheap as I used to,  and for such unstable halfass-wing it company again. I just wished I had more valuable experience, instead of wasting 1.5 years wearing 8 shitty hats at a dead end company. I feel to ashamed to tell my parents I quit and im now unemployed.

In january/ I had quite a few phone interviews for jobs at home here in Chicago. Either I'm too modest, and everyone else pumps themselves up and makes themselves seem way more experienced and bad-ass then they are or im just really awkward on the phone. I think its a combo of both. Im pretty good at written form -  cover letters. Verbal or real time communication is much more challenging. I'm optimistic though, its going to get better.

end rant/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:22:51 PM by EPetrov »

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »
Love talking about work with people. Jumped around a bunch and currently have 3 part time jobs

1) Buyer for a clothing shop
2) Booking for a small venue
3) Book binding/dyeing at a small publishing house

Before that, I worked in Marketing for Live Nation and was a social worker for parents in the CPS system.

Moving to LA soon, anyone know of any creative jobs hiring there?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
Love talking about work with people. Jumped around a bunch and currently have 3 part time jobs

1) Buyer for a clothing shop
2) Booking for a small venue
3) Book binding/dyeing at a small publishing house

Before that, I worked in Marketing for Live Nation and was a social worker for parents in the CPS system.

Moving to LA soon, anyone know of any creative jobs hiring there?

You're in luck, LA is in a boom once again. Construction gigs are everywhere. I personally find the organic muse/media of sheetrock to be the utmost of inspiring for my creative zen flow states.

Beyond my shit talking.
I got the phone call today that I'll be working as a floristics botanists for some of the new CA State Park property that was acquired from the last federal act that passed. Getting paid to hike, bushwhack, and geek the fuck out on some rare plants.
I got shot down for wild land botany gigs in Colorado, Oregon, and Alaska, so this was a nice pick me up. I've got interviews lined up for North Rim of the Grand Canyon for post fire monitoring botany and Crater Lake as well. Regardless of where I end up, I'll be sleeping in my truck. Proper dirtbag style.

Edit:
I'm an Auto Tech
I'm jealous, I want to do that in the future post retirement and own a fleet of old toyotas.

My car's radiator couldn't have failed at a better time. Just passed a state exam and got a promotion / pay bump. Fucking radiators are expensive to replace and that shit came out of nowhere.

Radiators are a breeze dude, you can knock them in out 4 hours tops. Do it yourself! Save a few hundred!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:33:32 PM by Pabst »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #729 on: April 27, 2019, 10:06:37 PM »
if anyone in the Seattle area needs $100, you could register to participate in this study:

https://fs30.formsite.com/LB2014/ybyd0zlfpc/index.html

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #730 on: April 27, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
if anyone in the Seattle area needs $100, you could register to participate in this study:

https://fs30.formsite.com/LB2014/ybyd0zlfpc/index.html

Damn! Thanks thats a 12 minute bus ride from my house.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #731 on: April 28, 2019, 12:52:26 AM »
Just moved back to Seattle and started a new carpenter job. Stoked

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #732 on: April 28, 2019, 01:07:59 AM »
Just moved back to Seattle and started a new carpenter job. Stoked

Im sure you’re probably set but hit me up if you need anything and i’ll see what I can do. Im down in South Seattle nearby Benefit Park but im usually in/near capitol hill MTWTh. Welcome back!

topblagger

« Reply #733 on: May 05, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
I work night shift in a hospital call center, mainly arranging moving patients/meals/security etc.
It's pretty mind numbing but I get to waste all night on the internet/watching movies/playing switch.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #734 on: May 06, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »
Went to school for environmental science. Now working as an assistant plant manager of a water treatment facility, wishing I wasn’t working as an assistant plant manager of a water treatment facility

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #735 on: May 06, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
Facilities Manager at a distribution center for a high end furniture company. Keep a 1.2 million sqft warehouse running from clogged toilets to working on million dollar equipment.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #736 on: May 06, 2019, 02:53:17 PM »
I worked in hospitality as a waiter for a year then quit 3 weeks ago. It was terrible. Rudeness all around (staff/costumers). I'm currently funemployed until the money runs out. Solid plan.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #737 on: May 06, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
I just landed my best paying job yet and my first office job that isn't mixed with physical labor and / or customer service. I know a lot of people say they couldn't sit at a desk all day but I'm excited that I'll have more physical energy for things outside of work like skating. plus, it should allow me to increase my already embarrassing percentage of time spent on SLAP.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #738 on: May 06, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
im a manager at a skateshop in NJ that is not NJ skateshop
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #739 on: May 06, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »
Foreman for Shoring and Excavation, drilling and grouting anchors and then building / shotcreting walls.
the shotcrete part is same equipment as making skateparks. did that also for one summer here in canada.
worked my ass off to get where I'm at and fucking love that I don't have to stress about money anymore.

i wanna know how much you guys make

now that I have a better idea of what pro skaters and ams made when my generation was coming up, and looking at what kind of money I've made since then, I'm glad I didn't try to move to cali and all that
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:34:49 PM by rusty knees »

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #740 on: May 06, 2019, 06:36:54 PM »

Branded
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #741 on: May 06, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
Since this thread was bumped, and I recently changed careers, I figured I'd contribute. I've worked in the service industry since I was 18, but I recently started working with a relative with a company where we move elderly people into retirement communities. We pack them up and try to make it as seamless as possible.

It's a pretty niche market, but kind of interesting. Most of the time I end up setting up their cable. I recently had to take on a cat because the place didn't allow pets, I'd post a photo but I'm not very good at it. He's big and old, so I feel like that's enough to go on. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:12 AM »
Right now doing IT support for that shipping company you never choose because is expensive af.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2019, 05:17:33 AM »
Right now doing IT support for that shipping company you never choose because is expensive af.

I worked for UPS, worst 3 years of my life. It was essentially boot camp. But I was able to quite and land something worth while and make an actual salary.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Branded

Feet First, ill be here 10 years in 3 months.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2279
« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
Just realized I've been at my job for 12 years. Shit flew by.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #746 on: May 07, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
Just realized I've been at my job for 12 years. Shit flew by.

Yeah, time is such a bitch. Kinda didnt realize how long ive been at my spot until i just posted haha

Glurmpz

« Reply #747 on: May 07, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
Been lurking the board to find other threads since UWTB and Photos/video has been pretty weak as of late, had no idea about this one. It's been interesting to do a quick scan and see what other posters do for work.

I usually manage warehouses - kept doing it after I got sick of the low pay and lack of professionalism in the skate industry version. As soon as I got a non-skate warehouse management job I was making at least 30% more, to start, than I had capped out at in skate distribution. Still, it sucks. My current job also involves office work too, but I'm burnt out on distribution in general. It's seasonal, so I get two long breaks each year that I use to travel, though it's a bit hard to afford.

I've done lots of other stuff like high end glass installation in mega mansions, which paid well but hurt my body too much, and I don't really like the vibe of trades jobs - too many grumpy ass know-it-alls. I do video editing on the side and I'm hoping to transition into that full time this year since my body is a bit too fucked from skating to keep doing physical work. I've been talking to friends who edit as a career and they didn't go to school - just moved into it organically from making skate videos with friends. Seems doable. 

Fundamentally, working just depresses the shit out of me, but I guess that's where skateboarding comes in.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #748 on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
Been lurking the board to find other threads since UWTB and Photos/video has been pretty weak as of late, had no idea about this one. It's been interesting to do a quick scan and see what other posters do for work.

I usually manage warehouses - kept doing it after I got sick of the low pay and lack of professionalism in the skate industry version. As soon as I got a non-skate warehouse management job I was making at least 30% more, to start, than I had capped out at in skate distribution. Still, it sucks. My current job also involves office work too, but I'm burnt out on distribution in general. It's seasonal, so I get two long breaks each year that I use to travel, though it's a bit hard to afford.

I've done lots of other stuff like high end glass installation in mega mansions, which paid well but hurt my body too much, and I don't really like the vibe of trades jobs - too many grumpy ass know-it-alls. I do video editing on the side and I'm hoping to transition into that full time this year since my body is a bit too fucked from skating to keep doing physical work. I've been talking to friends who edit as a career and they didn't go to school - just moved into it organically from making skate videos with friends. Seems doable. 

Fundamentally, working just depresses the shit out of me, but I guess that's where skateboarding comes in.

Sometimes you gotta do some shitty stuff for the cool stuff. For me, thats an out of country vacation (hopefully) yearly with my girl. for the past 5 years we've taken it in March, but financially we've had some set backs so were hoping to get over to Mexico in November. She hates her job a ton but makes a ton of money, so she a trooper knowing she's working for vacation. Not the greatest way to live, but i kinda feel mostly anything you do can be done with the right attitude knowing you're working towards something.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #749 on: May 11, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »
Anybody a nurse?