Author Topic: New Skateplaza in Madrid  (Read 8579 times)

H8R part 4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Skateplaza in Madrid
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »
skate plazas are for people who can only throw down 1 trick at a time. 

the whole place is a 1 trick set up spot for people to film at.  thats what street skating has turned into at this point.  its funny how people will do a trick they can land 1 out of 50 tries, film it, then think it means something.  somewhere, somehow, skateboarding forgot the importance of consistency.  now people just throw up a prayer, look completely regular, and hope they roll away while they're being filmed.  its almost like we're going back to the 90s but its worse. 

i watched jason dill part in mosiac the other day and the whole part was all lines, no one trick nothing, no lucky bullshit.  he mixed up all types of skating into his lines and all his tricks were done with style and showed his consistency, thats a true pro IMO.  all these one trick ponies with their 1 trick after 1 trick after 1 trick can beat it.  its nothing but a giant snooze fest and i'm fresh out of coffee.     

anyway, the place looks fun.  i would find a way to land as many tricks as possible without stopping.  my goal would be to get a trick(stupid or otherwise) on every little part of that park, then go home and have a beer.   

TheFreshSC

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »
looks like a lot of fun, but i probably would end up skating the flat ledge and ledge to drop all day. the plaza is burly

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm  sorry, but that is a terrible design. Tons of wasted space, no variety of  obstacles(it looks like everything there is a set of stairs, a rail, or a bank and even in those there is not much variety-most of the stair sets are the same size, the rails are differently shaped but all nearly the same size and even the banks are all about the same) and no flow. It looks like kids will just fly down a bank or stairs, then fly down stairs or a rail.... then walk all the way back up to the top and repeat... all day.

Should make for some really non-robotic sk8rs AMIRTE?

Don't get me wrong, it looks sick for what it is, but look at the pictures, everyone is just kind of standing in the middle of the park, looking confused. I guess if you wanna skate rails and stairs all day you're in heaven.
[close]

I see your point...but this is the whole skate plaza vs. skate park debate.  I personally enjoy skateparks more (better flow, generally more fun) but skate plazas are built to replicate a street environment.  Street spots not built for skating generally don't have alot of flow.  Obviously they wanted a plaza so that's what they got.
[close]
Skateparks are for old people and people that skate contests. Skate plazas are for people that skate street.
[close]
Wow, for someone who likes to call people out on being haters all the time, you sure sound like one yourself quite often.
I'm an older guy myself and I like both.
Skate plaza, skate park, whatever.
I think every good park should have variety.

Some people like big flowing transition type of stuff, some people like ledge/manny/gap type of stuff.
Ideally there is something for everybody at a good park, why would you want to limit yourself to any one type of terrain?
I'll skate fucking anything, yet you seem to be so anti everything that isn't 100 percent tech and street oriented.
Why is that?
Not trying to instigate, just genuinely curious.

I mean you should skate whatever it is that you like the most and whatever you are comfortable on, but I think you'd probably be surprised if you opened up your mind a little and just skated other types of stuff other than ledges and mannys or whatever else you seem to exclusively skate in your everyday routine.
You claim to be one of the best if not THE best skateboarder that posts here.
In my eyes the best skaters are the ones that can skate anything and be comfortable on any terrain and rip everything.
Can you honestly say that you are fairly proficient or really good at other types of skating besides stairs, ledge lines, mannys and flatground?
Again, I'm really genuinely curious and I don't wish to get into it with you even if you think this sounds like it.

By the way I was wondering how old old is when you say that skateparks are for old people.
I know you're a younger dude yourself, but seriously, what's old to you?
20? 25? 30? 35? 40?
Again, not trying to be a dick, so relax, I am only curious as to how you arrive at some of the things you post.

People that "skate everything" are lame, because they're mediocre at all the aspects usually, Jack of all trades master of none. That shits lame. Until there are more kids like langi and ben hatchell that are actually decent at all the aspects of skating, it means nothing.

as far as old goes, when you're around 25 you should start transitioning into skating transition, so when you're truly old(in skateboarding) like 30+ you can go to channel street or something and not get laughed at by the young kids.
skate plazas are for people who can only throw down 1 trick at a time. 

the whole place is a 1 trick set up spot for people to film at.  thats what street skating has turned into at this point.  its funny how people will do a trick they can land 1 out of 50 tries, film it, then think it means something.  somewhere, somehow, skateboarding forgot the importance of consistency.  now people just throw up a prayer, look completely regular, and hope they roll away while they're being filmed.  its almost like we're going back to the 90s but its worse. 

i watched jason dill part in mosiac the other day and the whole part was all lines, no one trick nothing, no lucky bullshit.  he mixed up all types of skating into his lines and all his tricks were done with style and showed his consistency, thats a true pro IMO.  all these one trick ponies with their 1 trick after 1 trick after 1 trick can beat it.  its nothing but a giant snooze fest and i'm fresh out of coffee.     

anyway, the place looks fun.  i would find a way to land as many tricks as possible without stopping.  my goal would be to get a trick(stupid or otherwise) on every little part of that park, then go home and have a beer.   

What's funny is that you're preaching consistency, but you would say people like mike mo, p-rod and shane are "boring", and they're the most consistent. For the record, most of the main kids i see at both wilmington and the la plaza(including myself) are consistent as fuck. Skateparks in general make you consistent, it's just people are consistent at different stuff. A kid that goes to a plaza is probably consistent at doing tricks down stairs, where as a kid that goes to skateparks that just have/are mostly transition is probably consistent at 360 fly outs.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
People that "skate everything" are lame

That statement pretty much negates anything you ever have to say.  I don't think more ignorant or idiotic words could be said.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
I like how you took it out of context, idiot.

TheFreshSC

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
^^ COTG, lets skate sometime. i'll probably go skate LA plaza this weekend

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »

No...because even in context your point just isn't true.  Skateboarding isn't a contest.  It's about having fun on your board.  The more different aspects of skating you learn, the more you can enjoy yourself in any situation you find yourself.

Also...learning to 5-0 in a bowl will only make your 5-0's on a ledge better and more controlled.  And vice versa.  Everything you learn on a skateboard will give you more board control and make you better overall.  I spent a good year skating mainly transition and had a blast.  This summer I started really pushing myself to skate more ledges and rails and found alot of tech tricks I hadn't tried in a couple years came to me much easier.  I have alot more board control now because I spent awhile skating fast and doing basic tricks on big transition.  Every single style of skating is as important as any other.  P.Rod isn't better than Tony Trujillo...but Tony's not better than P.Rod.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »
^^ COTG, lets skate sometime. i'll probably go skate LA plaza this weekend
I hate that place. Go to wilmington.

Expand Quote
[close]

No...because even in context your point just isn't true.  Skateboarding isn't a contest.  It's about having fun on your board.  The more different aspects of skating you learn, the more you can enjoy yourself in any situation you find yourself.

Also...learning to 5-0 in a bowl will only make your 5-0's on a ledge better and more controlled.  And vice versa.  Everything you learn on a skateboard will give you more board control and make you better overall.  I spent a good year skating mainly transition and had a blast.  This summer I started really pushing myself to skate more ledges and rails and found alot of tech tricks I hadn't tried in a couple years came to me much easier.  I have alot more board control now because I spent awhile skating fast and doing basic tricks on big transition.  Every single style of skating is as important as any other.  P.Rod isn't better than Tony Trujillo...but Tony's not better than P.Rod.
How is it not true. I said most of those niggas are jack of all trades masters of none, and you named one(tony trujillo). Someone that skates vert could come and do 90% of the shit tony trujillo does like nothing, and find someone that skates street and you'll get the same results. Basking in mediocrity is not cool.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
Basking in mediocrity is not cool.

Need I say more??

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
If you compared a like level of the shit you're doing on transition i guarantee it's lower level than that. You also can't do any of those tricks, where as i can do all of those tricks cruising around.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »
Look at the comments.    ;D

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
Ahhhhhh COTG...you're missing my whole point.  You're line was decent, you have good style, but by professional skateboarding standards it was VERY MEDIOCRE.  I'm saying skating is about fun so who gives a shit?  You're saying mediocre skating is wack...so taking your own words into consideration, maybe you should quit since you aren't busting hammers down 16 stairs.

You're the one who claims to be "better than everyone on Slap."  I never claimed to be anything.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
This is great, since I'll be going to Spain this summer.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
I'm glad you're judging someone that isn't a pro skateboarder on pro skateboarder standards. That's the difference. Me comparing tony t to other pros is totally different. Also, if you seen the shit i was capable of now you wouldn't be saying it's mediocre, by any standard. Actually that line isn't even mediocre, I've seen pros do less, and it probably took them longer.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1286
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Need I say more??
not to boost anyone's ego but you can't deny that's a sick line.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

TheFreshSC

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Need I say more??
[close]

real talk

pushdaily

• Rep: -15
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
homedude was stiffer than a new pair of jeans... do yourself a favor get some looser style and clothing.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
homedude was stiffer than a new pair of jeans... do yourself a favor get some looser style and clothing.
Sorry my style wasn't fake enough for you.

pushdaily

• Rep: -15
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
its ok! put a lil more effort into it and maybe ill like ya 

TheFreshSC

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 11:56:54 PM »
COTG, i'll do my best to get to wilmington this weekend if you're down to skate.

Lurkenstock

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:07 AM »
Okay COTG, you said

"People that "skate everything" are lame, because they're mediocre at all the aspects usually, Jack of all trades master of none. That shits lame. Until there are more kids like langi and ben hatchell that are actually decent at all the aspects of skating, it means nothing.

as far as old goes, when you're around 25 you should start transitioning into skating transition, so when you're truly old(in skateboarding) like 30+ you can go to channel street or something and not get laughed at by the young kids."

I see.
So I guess it's safe to say that you're not a fan of guys like Keegan, McCrank or Rattray for example, or even Daewon or Haslam, because all of those guys "skate everything" and they are pretty fucking far from mediocre.
Or were you just talking about regular Joes that aren't pros?
Yeah, because then there are guys out there (like me) that aren't exactly shredders on everything or even one specific thing for that matter, but aren't fucking slouches at them either.
Maybe it's just me then, I'd rather be at least decent and somewhat proficient on almost everything instead of just being really, really good at just one specific style of skating, and not having a fucking clue at others.
It just opens you up to enjoy more shit and no matter where you end up sessioning, you'll be fine and not completely fucking lost and not able to do jack shit in certain situations.

As far as what you think about age, that's pretty crazy but I didn't expect much different.
I'm guessing you're like 20-21, around there right?
Are you telling me that in 4 or 5 years you're going to be moving out of the streets and concentrating on skating transitions?
Really?
And 30+ is truly old?
Do you have any idea how many fucking ridiculously good pros out there are 30+?
I'm just saying, pro or not, not everybody that age or older is a bowl barney that can't 360 flip or nollie heel, you do realize that is possible don't you?

Anyway, I just fail to see how people would want to limit themselves like that.
You should be stoked, you have a bunch of good parks in L.A., why only skate Wilmington or the LA plaza when just off the top of my head there's Culver, Hawthorne, and the new Venice park too? I'm sure there's more.
I've been to Wilmington a couple of times, it was okay. I had fun there but I wouldn't want to stay there all day. Why not at least mix it up now and then, step out of your comfort zone?

Just a suggestion, don't trip.
I'm sure you'll have something to say but that's part of what makes this all so fun.
Later.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »
Okay COTG, you said

"People that "skate everything" are lame, because they're mediocre at all the aspects usually, Jack of all trades master of none. That shits lame. Until there are more kids like langi and ben hatchell that are actually decent at all the aspects of skating, it means nothing.

as far as old goes, when you're around 25 you should start transitioning into skating transition, so when you're truly old(in skateboarding) like 30+ you can go to channel street or something and not get laughed at by the young kids."

I see.
So I guess it's safe to say that you're not a fan of guys like Keegan, McCrank or Rattray for example, or even Daewon or Haslam, because all of those guys "skate everything" and they are pretty fucking far from mediocre.
Or were you just talking about regular Joes that aren't pros?
Yeah, because then there are guys out there (like me) that aren't exactly shredders on everything or even one specific thing for that matter, but aren't fucking slouches at them either.
Maybe it's just me then, I'd rather be at least decent and somewhat proficient on almost everything instead of just being really, really good at just one specific style of skating, and not having a fucking clue at others.
It just opens you up to enjoy more shit and no matter where you end up sessioning, you'll be fine and not completely fucking lost and not able to do jack shit in certain situations.

As far as what you think about age, that's pretty crazy but I didn't expect much different.
I'm guessing you're like 20-21, around there right?
Are you telling me that in 4 or 5 years you're going to be moving out of the streets and concentrating on skating transitions?
Really?
And 30+ is truly old?
Do you have any idea how many fucking ridiculously good pros out there are 30+?
I'm just saying, pro or not, not everybody that age or older is a bowl barney that can't 360 flip or nollie heel, you do realize that is possible don't you?

Anyway, I just fail to see how people would want to limit themselves like that.
You should be stoked, you have a bunch of good parks in L.A., why only skate Wilmington or the LA plaza when just off the top of my head there's Culver, Hawthorne, and the new Venice park too? I'm sure there's more.
I've been to Wilmington a couple of times, it was okay. I had fun there but I wouldn't want to stay there all day. Why not at least mix it up now and then, step out of your comfort zone?

Just a suggestion, don't trip.
I'm sure you'll have something to say but that's part of what makes this all so fun.
Later.
Why would i not be a fan of daewon, or to a lesser extent haslam? They're actually amazing at street skating. Those other dudes are whatever. They're not killing at street, and they're not killing at transition, they're just doing regular shit. Doing a bunch of regular shit all the time is lame. I want to see some amazing shit whether I'm watching someone skate street, vert, transition whatever.

I'm not saying as soon as you turn 25 just stop skating street and skate transition exclusively. I'm just saying when you're around that age if you're skating 3 hours a day skate 30 minutes of transition and gradually add more time to the transition as you get older. That way when you're 30 something you can go chill with all the other old people at channel street and not stink it up. Yes, 30 is the very start of oldness when you're doing physical activity.
You're still relatively young in the real world, but in skateboarding, or any other physical activity(except golf or something) you're old.

I honestly don't see how I'm "limiting" myself. Choosing to skate where i want isn't limiting myself. Wilmington has everything that i like skating in the same spot. It has ledges, a flatbar, stairs with a baby rail, and even fake transition. That's basically all the aspects of street skating in one place. Never crowded, and one of the only places where mexicans don't kill black people.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 01:00:58 AM »
so,um, skateboardings pretty tight

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 01:07:20 AM »
COTG>OLD PEOPLE
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 01:19:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Need I say more??
[close]

it's malcolm watson circa gumbo.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »
it's malcolm watson circa gumbo.
I think it's time for you to put the blunt down.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »
it did cross my mind. but now i'm watching malcolm manhandle usc in that part. thanks.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:13 AM »
That Madrid place looks cool! I will probably go there sometime...  Btw Sick line cotg! 

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:24 AM »
If Tony Trujillo is mediocre and TK has 'stee' then I don't know what to think anymore...

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 03:34:34 AM »
Good or bad design, it still looks to have some awesome features. Having brick banks looks so much fun.

Whether you think it's the greatest laid out park or not, you are still gonna skate it and make it fun. Street skating in general is about making the most of what is around so just apply it to that.