Author Topic: NEW ALL TIME LOW  (Read 3052 times)

kulturalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
NEW ALL TIME LOW
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
So i was at an Academy Sporting goods store christmass shopping for the family when i cam across this atrocity!

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NEW ALL TIME LOW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
A pice of shit like that shouldn't cost more than 10 dollars anyway, what's your point?

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
Garbage like that should be outlawed, the trucks don't turn, the bearings don't spin, and the griptape is rough as shit. Not sure if they're the same as the ones I've seen, but if they are, the kids who get them are going to eat so much shit trying to learn how to ride a skateboard.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
tony hawk has boards just like this, not birdhouse just TH with a dumb bird

ige

• Rep: -74
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
I remember when i first started skating i really wanted a Killerloop complete (100$) but my dad wouldn't buy me one, because he thought that this skatefad thing will go over soon. So after 5 10$ completes i finally got my Killerloop.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »
Shit like this has been sold in stores like Wal Mart, Target, and whatnot for decades. My first board was a $15 Variflex. I convinced my dad to get me a real complete about a month after.

But yeah, there really should be some kind of mass advertising campaign that tells parents not to buy this shit. Just the other day, a kid came into the shop I work at with one of those Tony Hawk boards and the baseplate on his truck was broken off in two places. Weak, Tony.

There's also a "skateshop" across town that sells shit like this with their name on it. Fuck those dudes.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
I'd never bought an 100% brand new board

I started with those shitty completes, then changing the board, then the trucks, and some where in te middle the wheels and bearing

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »

I thought this was worse

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
^ but the thing was that puleo really had nothing to do with those?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1553
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
I remember when i first started skating i really wanted a Killerloop complete (100$) but my dad wouldn't buy me one, because he thought that this skatefad thing will go over soon. So after 5 10$ completes i finally got my Killerloop.

when i switched from a pile off poop that was supposed to be skateboard to a killer loop i was in a whole new world. and then again when i got the real deal...

anyway, shit like this is not that bad, because a kid can try it out for 10 bucks and see if he has the patience to skateboard or if not... why waste ten times more if you're gonna quit after a week?

J_Rog

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
anyway, shit like this is not that bad, because a kid can try it out for 10 bucks and see if he has the patience to skateboard or if not... why waste ten times more if you're gonna quit after a week?
They are dangerous. The grit wears off right to the tape and the trucks get serious wheel bite. My girlfriend bought one and I rode around the block on it. I was in the middle of a carve and the board stopped but I didn't. I hit the gutter so hard (flew right over the grassy bit) it tore a hole in my jeans and gave me a nice swellbow/swollen weeping knee combo. You can't get that fucked up just carving on a real board.

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:38:07 AM »
My first board had plastic trucks which broke when I rode off a curb, twas a real blessing.

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
i understand parents though. like real completes are expensive as shit. why would you buy that to a ten year old if hes just going to leave it out in the rain and after a week he couldnt give less a shit about the board. cause yoyoing is the shit. with their bearings and all in them. fuck i miss those yoyos. you have to go through all those crappy boards to realize how cool a quality board is.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 01:57:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They are dangerous. The grit wears off right to the tape and the trucks get serious wheel bite. My girlfriend bought one and I rode around the block on it. I was in the middle of a carve and the board stopped but I didn't. I hit the gutter so hard (flew right over the grassy bit) it tore a hole in my jeans and gave me a nice swellbow/swollen weeping knee combo. You can't get that fucked up just carving on a real board.

You suck at skateboarding.

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 02:14:47 AM »
There is no excuse for Hawk to be associated with any shitty skate products.

As a skater himself, he should only be endorsing quality shit. I don't mind his high profile, have enjoyed playing his video games in the past but when he starts putting his name to shit products, then all respect is lost.

I love it how shitty board slike this always try to be so 'out there' with their graphics like exxxxtreme, aliens and shit. Like some people sitting around a boardroom discussing what kids are into. lame...

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 02:16:18 AM »

As a skater himself, he should only be endorsing quality shit. I don't mind his high profile, have enjoyed playing his video games in the past but when he starts putting his name to shit products, then all respect is lost.

I love it how shitty board slike this always try to be so 'out there' with their graphics like exxxxtreme, aliens and shit. Like some people sitting around a boardroom discussing what kids are into. lame...
I would not be surprised if he's licensed out his name and has no control over a company putting it on a Target board.

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight

J_Rog

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 03:05:00 AM »
My first graphic was a shark wearing sunglasses inverting on a fluro pink lightning bolt. I still think that is cool. 

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My first graphic was a shark wearing sunglasses inverting on a fluro pink lightning bolt. I still think that is cool. 

My first deck was a complete to 10$. Had a sick graphic of "Phantom"
Almost like this

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dude, that sounds fucking epic

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »

As a skater himself, he should only be endorsing quality shit.

Why should he only sell high-quality/high-cost products?  There's a relationship between quality and price you know, and there is also a market for low-quality/low-cost skate products.  People either complain about the quality or the price without taking into account the other factor.

Personally, I'd prefer a $10 complete over $100 trucks.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote

As a skater himself, he should only be endorsing quality shit.
[close]

Why should he only sell high-quality/high-cost products?  There's a relationship between quality and price you know, and there is also a market for low-quality/low-cost skate products.  People either complain about the quality or the price without taking into account the other factor.

Personally, I'd prefer a $10 complete over $100 trucks.
But if a $10 complete has plastic trucks, you're not even going to have a complete within ten minutes of your session.

It's not that Tony shouldn't be selling some cheap stuff, it's that he shouldn't put his name on pure shit. There's some cheap-yet-quality stuff out there. He just shouldn't be backing decks that might as well be made of pressboard.

scootboard

• Rep: 1
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:02 PM »
my first board had a no smoking sign on it

Mr. DNA

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
I thought the Tony Hawk and World Industries boards that they sell at Department Stores or Sporting Good stores are supposedly a little better quality than most of those budget boards? Still crappy, but at least good for a 6 year old.

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »
But if a $10 complete has plastic trucks, you're not even going to have a complete within ten minutes of your session.

Probably, but at least I could focus it without feeling guilty.

jacquesknife

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I would not be surprised if he's licensed out his name and has no control over a company putting it on a Target board.

Yeah, sadly, you could be right there. But only goes to reinforce the idea that Hawk should be actually giving a shit about these things and not just selling his seal of approval to  the highest bidder.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

jacquesknife

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 03:21:46 PM »
"They gave me loads of money. What could I do? I'm only human"

J_Rog

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You suck at skateboarding.
Sure. Did you see that video of me on Youtube where I pulled a switch dolphin flip while kicking my back foot waaay out? Krew/Supra better not be sleepin on my buttery a$$

luc

• Rep: -118
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
i dont see the problem.. i remember beiing 14 and poor as shit and skating boards like this but they were $40

now i got $ and i still buy blanks..