Author Topic: Stay Gold - Offical Thread  (Read 280115 times)

GnarlesManson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Stay Gold - Offical Thread
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
thanks gipper. but your bitter review is dull compared to the literary masterpieces COTG usually drops after the release of ever skate video.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #691 on: August 30, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
^ Call me bitter all you want, a lot of people are agreeing with me on this one.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yea this video actually is pretty boring. I really only like the table section,preston, and reynolds. Leo is tight, but his part was nothing but rails. I hate to admit that gipper was somewhat right.
[close]
cmon dude you gotta do a full part by part review. this thread is not complete until you do so.
[close]
I'll do one for you:
Brandon Westgate- Amazing! Sets the tone for the video as if it is going to be excited and innovative. As pointed out, his shit on the hills of SF are the best. He does an ollie on the hills that is more impressive than all the frontside flips, hard flips and nollie inward heels in the video combined.
The middle- (Herman, Szafranski, Figgy, Colin Provost etc.) A bunch of �parts that are basically the same tricks you have seen these guys do, but on different spots. Be prepared for TONS of LA stairs and rails that you have seen skated before, and tricks you have seen people do down rails and gaps before. Personally, I figured out those gaps could be cleared a while ago, and also realized all of those tricks could be done down gaps. I remember at one point Jamie Tawcony eats shit hard frontside boardsliding a handrail, I remember thinking "he hurt himself for nothing, yeah its risky, but even if he succeeded it would just be a front board down a rail.
Spanky tries to be creative, but he doesn't really do anything new, just stuff that isn't done as often, but still skates some pretty over-skated spots, and it comes together as something as contrived as a hipster's hasselbad photos. Bonelesses on banks should be banned from video parts. The only way I could sit through these parts was out of the hope that one of them would surprise me,and people like Jerry Hsu or Reynolds' part could come up at any moment. I will never watch this part of the video again.

Jerry Hsu- Light hearted tilt moder just out to have fun and get creative on a skateboard? Nope. Jerry has grown up, and now he is a stressed out and angry man who is out for the hammers and will not be happy until he gets one. How do I know? Half of his part is him stressing out at spots. This part is crappy compared to his Bag of Suck part, Tilt mode parts, or combined part with Louie in the Osiris video. It was like somebody came up to him and said "We know you like skating all sorts of terrain, being creative, and having fun, but this is the Emerica video, so we demand you only have hammers," and completely ruined his part. Nothing innovative or that interesting like you would usually expect from Jerry.

Leo- Be prepared to be underwhelmed! All of those amazing photos you saw of him look way better as photos. When they are live action, you realize it isn't as crazy as you thought. His gimmick is grinding up shit, but guess what? When your gimmick doesn't take much talent, be prepared for your gimmick to be stolen. I think at least 3 parts before his have people grinding up rails, so by the time you get to him, its old news. He goes big, but again, its really just kind of jockish one-up type shit, and none of it is really game changing.

Reynolds- Goes around skating every big gap in CA- hollywood 16, Wallenberg, and plenty more. Overall, the part isn't that exciting, but I really like Reynolds style, he is the epitome of grace under pressure, and his ender is pretty rad if you don't know what it is.

Templeton, Senn- These dudes have the most flavor on the team and have no footage?! Are you kidding me?! Put even second rate footage in there of these guys to break up the monotony of the stair/gap jock bullshit and the whole video would have been 100 times better

Seriously, don't waste your money on this piece of shit video.
[close]

just out of curiousity. what kind of videos do you like? in another thread you critizised blueprint videos (which are some sort of one end the spectrum) and here you critizise the other end... now I get something to hear about my black and white world view and that there are many more different styles of skating
I can understand that. I feel like I should like blueprint videos, and I like pretty much the whole team independently, but something about the editting and the spots people skate in London in general bores me. I do like videos like the Emerica one, its just that this video was pretty dull.
My taste goes all over the place in terms of what I like, I think overall I am just a video snob who has seen too many videos and is desensitized to a lot of skating. I'll admit my standards are high and often odd though.
Gipper's video collection consists of Cheese&Crackers and that rodney mullen issue of On video magazine.
You don't skate. Your opinion on skating doesn't count. If you own more videos than I do, that is pathetic. Sell some and go buy a board.
Also, the Natas and LOVE on videos are the ones I actually watch. Natas is the shit.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
 who cares. id rather see leo do what he does best than watching him trying to appease everyones tastes, i dont have a problem with seeing a well done boardslide or crooks down a handrail and i dont really care for why gipper feels he has to throw a hissy fit every time he sees one. the video was cool and I really want to see all the bonus shit.

BriDen

« Reply #693 on: August 30, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
Since you ignored my post in the other thread, too, I'll ask it again here. Why do you think I don't skate, gippy?

water cooler

• Rep: -18
  • hello
« Reply #694 on: August 30, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
PM pleease ???

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #695 on: August 30, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
yeah! pm me too plz? sux to have missed out...  :-\

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #696 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
Since you ignored my post in the other thread, too, I'll ask it again here. Why do you think I don't skate, gippy?
When I asked you point blank in another thread you gave me some run around explanation about the movie inception and how when you dream you still skate. Which to me implied when you don't dream, you don't skate.

Also, Lenny, I was actually hoping that Leo had broken his previous mold and was going to do some new interesting stuff, but all of the cool stuff he did was already released a while ago, and a lot of it was disappointing on film. Don't get so offended. I talked shit on just about everybody else in the video too.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ruiner2

• Rep: -25
« Reply #697 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
PM?

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #698 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
When I asked you point blank in another thread you gave me some run around explanation about the movie inception and how when you dream you still skate. Which to me implied when you don't dream, you don't skate.

Also, Lenny, I was actually hoping that Leo had broken his previous mold and was going to do some new interesting stuff, but all of the cool stuff he did was already released a while ago, and a lot of it was disappointing on film. Don't get so offended. I talked shit on just about everybody else in the video too.

Gipper out of curiosity which skaters do you actually like?

Krudler

« Reply #699 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
Anyone else kinda disappointed by Leo's 5050 up the rail?

bloodcrippin

• Rep: 0
  • I'm pro
« Reply #700 on: August 30, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »
im probably just gonna like this video if theyre doing amazing things in it

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #701 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
The intro (along with the whole video) was very reminiscent of TIS. The heavy bluesy guitar was sick. I thought most of the music worked except for Reynolds.

Westgate obviously killed it, especially the hills. Pushes hard

I really enjoyed Herman's part especially the Tom Waits. Yeah he has his signature tricks, but when you are literally the best person at hardflips and nollie inward heels why the fuck wouldn't you throw it down shit?

The middle section does start to get boring.

Jerry's slams were way too long. Liked his actual skating though, switch gap to blunt was great. I thought Leo's part was great as well. Reynolds pumped out another legendary part and I don't think anyone is really that surprised by it.

Can't wait to see Heath's part
wash uffize drive me to firenze

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #702 on: August 30, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
not at all, sure he almost landed stationary, but that rail is way steeper and/or longer than any other rail you see people skate upwards

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #703 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
weirdly my favorite leo stuff was all the picnic table tricks he did.

tatertots

• Rep: -6
« Reply #704 on: August 30, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
andrew reynolds absolutely slaughtered it, but i thought the whole video was sick. also, suski!

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #705 on: August 30, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
The green film/filter second angle shots were really sick when used

A very good video

LDJ

• Rep: 7
« Reply #706 on: August 30, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »
Went to the Melbourne Premiere lastnight.
The Kickflip at the end of Heaths last line was the best trick in the whole video. Maybe it was the lack of beer ( The situation at the bar was out of hand ) but I got bored pretty quick. Hsu's part, Suski's ditch flip to fakie, Herman's FS flip / switch FS flip table line,  The last few tricks of Leo's and Reynolds's entire part make up the more positive aspects of the video. Noticeably absent from the E green colour scheme was the Templeton Sonic Youth/Fugazi/Noseblunt/Impossible etc barrage that has become somewhat synonymous with Emerica videos.  Overall, I think I liked the last one more. But seriously, Heaths last kickflip. Woah.

bandini

« Reply #707 on: August 30, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Pretty much every trick in Heath's part is mind-boggling. There weren't many (new ones, that is) but what was there... holy crap.

That noseslide on that gigantic hubba made me drop my popcorn.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #708 on: August 30, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not at all, sure he almost landed stationary, but that rail is way steeper and/or longer than any other rail you see people skate upwards

After he does it you hear him say "That's as good as it's going to get." I still thought it was awesome though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:48:52 PM by Tarquin »

rudigarsucks

• Rep: 13
« Reply #709 on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
i'd love a pm please

LDJ

• Rep: 7
« Reply #710 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
That noseslide on that gigantic hubba made me drop my popcorn.
Almost forgot. That was amazing.

charlesurich

« Reply #711 on: August 30, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
Brandon Westgate is FUCKING AMAZING. That part was unreal with the sick drum break mega ollie speed pop. That was the best skater I've seen.

Lurkenstock

« Reply #712 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »
Saw this last night at a premiere here in Honolulu, anybody saying this was boring or a letdown is fucking stupid.
Come on, I myself am an old bitter shithead a lot of the time but I was really impressed by this.
I think people are just seriously spoiled when it comes to videos nowadays.

Couple things I thought:

Heath was crazy, too bad he's over it but gotta respect dude for going out like Costanza on a high note.
Westgate destroyed it. That suuuuper long gap ollie over the bar going downhill was ridiculous.
Herman had my favorite part in the video. Never was a fan until now, he is fucking amazing.
Collin Provost was surprisingly awesome, so was Justin Figueroa.
Preston was sick and surprising as I have never seen footage of him before.
Suski ripped it super hard and I really was surprised that I liked Braydon's part.
Not a huge fan of Leo but he fucking annihilated it. Really.
Reynolds blew me away, so stoked that the dude is still topping his shit after all these years, when you get past thirty that ain't easy to do.

Glad they went easy on the slow mo and didn't get all emo and stupid with the editing.

WHO CARES?

• Rep: 1
« Reply #713 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
PM PLEASEEEE!!!!!!!PLEASE!!! PLEASEE!!

PsychOut

« Reply #714 on: August 30, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65426
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #715 on: August 30, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
Im agreeing with cotg, Reynolds and Preston were my favorite parts. Fuck Reynolds song though, that shits brutal. Its sounds like some whack Arcade Fire crap. Down for all the Dead Meadow in this video too, but John Cale was by far the best soundtrack choice.

skateskateskate

« Reply #716 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #717 on: August 30, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
PM PLEASEEEE!!!!!!!
the only link I had its gone now
PLEEASEE!

water cooler

• Rep: -18
  • hello
« Reply #718 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
i went to itunes and clicked buy now but it said i needed to upgrade to the latest version of itunes...went to the apple site for the upgrade and it said i need the newest version of mac osx..wahhh...someone please pm me working a link...

bort.

• Rep: 53
« Reply #719 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »
Is there a link for heaths part out there somewhere?