Author Topic: the berrics skate plaza  (Read 21260 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the berrics skate plaza
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like all the "sellouts" are helping skateboarding, and all the "core" guys are just sitting around talking about how "core" they are. Where are the ricky oyolas, the bobby puleos, and the pappalardos at?
[close]
If I'm not confused, Ricky is working extra jobs so that he can continue building a solid reputable brand in order to create a stronger scene on the east coast. He's definitely not making big money off of Traffic, and it seems like he is doing it more for the mission than anything.
I'm not trying to defend the east coast and won't speak on the rest of them, but Ricky puts blood and sweat in to make the east coast a better place.
[close]

Can you explain what he does to make a "strong scene" on the east coast? I'm not saying he isn't, but I don't see how that guy has done anything for anyone on the east coast - except maybe whatever he's involved with in his own little local neighborhood.
Sponsors and helps get coverage and notoriety for the people who skate for him. Also, having a solid east coast based team does a lot for its scene as a whole.
Also, in terms of people doing shit for skating on their coast, what about that guy who owns 5boro, Steve Rodriguez is his name right? Dude got that park built in Flushing and has saved the Brooklyn Banks as a skatespot many times over. That dude is way cooler than Berra.
COTG's argument is dumb. He pulled out 3 random skaters he knew people liked as an attempt to say that Steve Berra does more good for the skate scene than all of the skaters on the east coast. There are plenty of people doing good stuff for their scene on the east coast, which actually is made up of a lot more than just pops, Oyola, and Puleo. All y'all thinking he had a good point just got tricked. His point carries no weight at all.
And all y'all bitching about how New York is getting screwed skatewise just go on over to 12th and A, the Williamsburg bridge, the brooklyn bridge, owls head, the maloof skatepark, or one of the thousands of street spots in NYC. Y'all always are all about having it the best and the worst at the same time and need to cut that shit out. The east coast as a whole is dope, and doesn't need to have everything California has to be cool. If every place had the same shit the world would be dull. So don't even worry that cali is getting this and you aren't. Spots in CA also get blown out and capped quicker than everywhere else too, so its got its ups and downs too. At the end of the day, no place has it all, but there are plenty of places on both the east and west coast that are pretty much heaven for skateboarders.
Not all dudes have to be good citizens to release good parts
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
How does my point hold no weight? The only dude i ever hear about doing shit in new york is billy roahn, and he isn't even from new york. And those dudes aren't the only pros, but those are the ones people look up to. They aren't doing shit for skateboarding, just being pissed at people that are.

Even though rob dyrdek helps raise some of the money, a shitload of the kids in some of those communities were going to counsel meetings and shit like that. Kids from the east coast can do the exact same shit, and I guarantee Dyrdek, or p rod would be happy to help you lames raise some funds.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1656
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
I think we could use some more skate plazas in CA first.  As of right now, I can only go to 5-6 sick ass plazas in one day.  I want to see this number in double digits before they branch out of state.  When they do so make sure the plazas are right off the major freeways so I don't have to skate shitty stuff when I go on roadtrips.  8)
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
How does my point hold no weight? The only dude i ever hear about doing shit in new york is billy roahn, and he isn't even from new york. And those dudes aren't the only pros, but those are the ones people look up to. They aren't doing shit for skateboarding, just being pissed at people that are.

Even though rob dyrdek helps raise some of the money, a shitload of the kids in some of those communities were going to counsel meetings and shit like that. Kids from the east coast can do the exact same shit, and I guarantee Dyrdek, or p rod would be happy to help you lames raise some funds.

Well, one of the people you mentioned does actually do stuff for his scene. I mentioned Steve Rodriguez, and you mentioned Billy Rohan. I could also point out that FDR park is user made and maintained. Plenty of people do plenty for their scenes on the east coast.
Also, your thought that somehow Berra or Dyrdek are nearly as loved purely for their skating in LA as people like Puleo or Oyola are for their skating on the East coast. Puleo and Oyola just put out parts and people love them. If it weren't for all the extra shit, Dyrdek's and Berra's careers would have ended at least 5 years ago.
Lets simplify this. Want me to mirror your argument? here you go:
 At least you got guys like Steve Rodriguez, Billy Rohan, and Ricky Oyola trying to do something for their scene, unlike the  losers you see in LA. When was the last time Mike Mo, Guy Mariano, or Dan Drehobl did anything for their scene?

See how stupid it sounds coming from the other side? It sounds just as dumb when you use it to defend the coast we both live on.
The fact is New Yorkers need to just shut the fuck up and stop complaining because some other city got something that they didn't. East coast people do plenty for the east coast scene the way west coast people do plenty for the west coast scene. It just seems different because east coasters do nothing but bitch and get melodramatic about what skating is like on the East Coast. You'd never see people in LA crying because we don't have our own Love park, or because FDR was built under a bridge in Philly instead of under a freeway in LA, or that there aren't any cellar doors to skate out here, but you do hear east coast people do that about LA.
What makes it so dumb too is at a certain age you aren't shackled to your hometown. You want to live in a city with tons of skate plazas in it? Move to a city that has tons of skate plazas in it, don't just bitch about it.

jimi420

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
fuck the east and west coasts. The Midwest is where it's at.

pmatute

• Rep: -4

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well, one of the people you mentioned does actually do stuff for his scene. I mentioned Steve Rodriguez, and you mentioned Billy Rohan. I could also point out that FDR park is user made and maintained. Plenty of people do plenty for their scenes on the east coast.
Also, your thought that somehow Berra or Dyrdek are nearly as loved purely for their skating in LA as people like Puleo or Oyola are for their skating on the East coast. Puleo and Oyola just put out parts and people love them. If it weren't for all the extra shit, Dyrdek's and Berra's careers would have ended at least 5 years ago.
Lets simplify this. Want me to mirror your argument? here you go:
 At least you got guys like Steve Rodriguez, Billy Rohan, and Ricky Oyola trying to do something for their scene, unlike the  losers you see in LA. When was the last time Mike Mo, Guy Mariano, or Dan Drehobl did anything for their scene?

See how stupid it sounds coming from the other side? It sounds just as dumb when you use it to defend the coast we both live on.
The fact is New Yorkers need to just shut the fuck up and stop complaining because some other city got something that they didn't. East coast people do plenty for the east coast scene the way west coast people do plenty for the west coast scene. It just seems different because east coasters do nothing but bitch and get melodramatic about what skating is like on the East Coast. You'd never see people in LA crying because we don't have our own Love park, or because FDR was built under a bridge in Philly instead of under a freeway in LA, or that there aren't any cellar doors to skate out here, but you do hear east coast people do that about LA.
What makes it so dumb too is at a certain age you aren't shackled to your hometown. You want to live in a city with tons of skate plazas in it? Move to a city that has tons of skate plazas in it, don't just bitch about it.

mikes made, uncapped, etc. a few spots in the simi valley and surrounding areas.

but you could have easily chose about 10 other dudes off the top of your head.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
Not trying to hate on Mike mo. I respect his skating a bunch, you seem to get my point though
I agree with your sentiment to a certain degree, but your sig is so lame. Some cheesy attempt to be sentimental that is really nothing more than an excuse for people who don't skate to still feel good about themselves, even though a person who skates and quits is actually lamer than a person who never skated in the first place.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
The difference is everyone in new york, pros and sucky people alike, are talking shit about people selling out. The sell outs are the ones that are helping skateboarding. No one in california is just actively talking shit about everyone on the east coast every chance they get, calling people sell outs, or complaining about lack of spots, but still somehow talking shit on everyone for skating perfect spots. If you're not being proactive don't complain about shit.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
Not trying to hate on Mike mo. I respect his skating a bunch, you seem to get my point though
Expand Quote
[close]
I agree with your sentiment to a certain degree, but your sig is so lame. Some cheesy attempt to be sentimental that is really nothing more than an excuse for people who don't skate to still feel good about themselves, even though a person who skates and quits is actually lamer than a person who never skated in the first place.
eh, a life of skating's not for everyone dude. i'll admit, a person who chooses not to skate anymore yet still believes their opinion is worth something when it comes to skating is pretty terrible. still, i know a dude who started skating just because me and a lot of his friends did, so he wanted to kind of fit in and be able to join in on what must've seemed like private discussions about skating. he did his thing for like two years, got pretty good and had fun, but was just over it after a while. wasn't for him. unless you really get hooked on skating, it's no different than any other hobby that you can just as easily grow out of. i won't quit skating as long as i can still move my lower body, but i can understand why someone would quit.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »
The difference is everyone in new york, pros and sucky people alike, are talking shit about people selling out. The sell outs are the ones that are helping skateboarding. No one in california is just actively talking shit about everyone on the east coast every chance they get, calling people sell outs, or complaining about lack of spots, but still somehow talking shit on everyone for skating perfect spots. If you're not being proactive don't complain about shit.

another case of the bitch, calling the hobag, slut!   
you're the biggest shit talking east coast hating troll on this entire message board.  ::)

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 07:32:40 AM »
you're an idiot.

SouthJersey

• Rep: -36
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:29 AM »
you're an idiot.
...the pot calling the kettle black

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:05 AM »
faster is asian.

SouthJersey

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »
refer back to your post.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
I see you're also an idiot.

SouthJersey

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »
It's like interacting with a wall.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »
faster is asian.

you're africanus dumbassacus

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:20 AM »
hahahahaha the fact that you thought that was clever shows how much of an idiot you are

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »
id rather an indoor park with all plastic benches no stairs or handrail, with a nice 6ft mini ramp so i can actually enjoy skateboarding in the winter time. every indoor park i have ever been to has been hammer time. honestly id way rather have a park that is like 4 benches and costs like 5 bucks a night to skate instead of a crazy one that costs more per sesh

Stolen Darkness

• Rep: -3
    • Candy Shop Skate Co. avatar image
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »
its easy to just call people idiots.

when cali sinks, who gets the west coast title?

www.candyshopskateco.com $35 Boards. Made in East Coast.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
we all kinda figure berra lurks but this is so direct that its forsure he does.

steve_berra:I'm from the midwest. The concrete sucks as bad as it does on the east coast, so all of u who don't live in CA and want a park. I'm trying.

Yeah man, lets give CA more perfect places to skate.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »

years ago this is what my town did and they got tony hawk to throwdown some cash for our park. I think it was the first one the t.h. foundation helped.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
i obviously disagree with COTG on most points, but he is mostly right about one thing: some of the pros who are considered "sell outs" are doing shit to give back to skating. Steve Berra and Tony Hawk(two major examples) put so much money back into skating. We've finally gotten time to realize the effect Tony Hawk has had on skateboarding and I'm sure Berra's plans will be very well respected and helpful after the dust settles.

Also, tons of shit goes down on the East Coast, we just aren't in the heart of the skate industry to receive that same exposure. But yeah, I can't wait for some shit to start popping up over here.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
Expand Quote
we all kinda figure berra lurks but this is so direct that its forsure he does.

steve_berra:I'm from the midwest. The concrete sucks as bad as it does on the east coast, so all of u who don't live in CA and want a park. I'm trying.
[close]

Yeah man, lets give CA more perfect places to skate.
reread what he wrote one more time.

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 02:44:44 AM »

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
Yall sound like a bunch of whiney little bitches... "please give us a plaza mr berra"... You need to either make your own shit happen in your own community, or realize that the only reasonskating sucks where you live is the way you view it.  If you cant have fun skating the spots in your town, its not the spots fault, its yours.  I mean, it would be great if everyone had a plaza to go to, or a love park or emb or pulaski... But if you really love to skate you can have just as much fun with a curb.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
i like the idea of this!

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »
Skate plazas suck, and only mass produce douche bag kids.  Plazas are the most cut and dry, linear, and boring places to skate.   Ive seen a few good ones but for the most part there's nothing ever interesting about them.  Kids these days dont get how easy it is to have fun on a skateboard

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:02 AM »
We build our own shit in Texas. We also get a bunch of skateparks built. Texas is better.