Author Topic: whats up with skater of the year ?  (Read 12998 times)

cant stop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • It's all about tricks.
Re: whats up with skater of the year ?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 02:38:39 AM »
Pfanner? What the fuck? He only does a small amount of tricks, he is rad but at the same time, really boring.

Leo get all the Thrasher love. He will probably get it, but I would rather see Reynolds get it, even if I havn't seen Stay Gold yet.

But as usual, the sickest thing would be to give it to Heath, Heath is the main man.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 02:56:15 AM »

PsychOut

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
Pfanner? What the fuck? He only does a small amount of tricks, he is rad but at the same time, really boring.

agreed

Andrew Reynolds & Grant Taylor are my picks.

kazbenson

• Rep: -271
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
You guys are forgetting T-puds and Ryan Decenzo. Those guys are getting lots of ads and stuff in the magazine (some of which is not seen in their video parts). I dont think someone should turn pro just for one part.
koston's career isn't based on the site...

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 07:31:30 AM »
^Has anyone gotten SOTY from a part in a Transworld video? That being said, I'd be stoked if Dylan got it, but since it looks like Brainwash will be out before the end of the year, Leo's getting it.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
Leo is the obvious choice at the moment
Grant and Pfanner could get one in a Silas-style. Being a  bit undergroundish (as in not putting out full, hyped parts or interviews) but just consistantly ripping
Any signs of the real video coming out before '11 ?

As far as the tws awards
team - emerica
video - stay gold
video part - some part in stay gold
skater - someone riding for emerica
readers choice - someone riding for emerica
rookie - is westgate still considered rookie ?

happens every time some company puts out a full video

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:22 AM »
^ best song in a video part

ekayallday

• Rep: -6
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
Doesn't reynolds still have a little bit of a deathwish part to be coming out halloween? Remember Cole? He only had that split part last year. It'd be a nice excuse. Even though I haven't seen stay gold yet, everyones saying Reynolds over Leo.

El Venado Zombi

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't think anyone has gotten as much coverage this year in Thrasher as much as Leo.
[close]

fixed.
I know, but any magazine coverage outside of Thrasher is irrelevant (I think).

Does anyone know how SOTY is picked? I thought it was just whoever gets the most amount of coverage in Thrasher, but I was thinking about Silas, which seemed kind of random to me (although I'm stoked that he won it).

thugnificent

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
why the fuck would pfanner get soty? dude exclusively does ollies, 180's, and kickflips. well at least you guys looked cool by nominating him though

Tobias Funke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • Oh, come on. Don't leave your uncle T-bag hanging.
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
In the Brandon Westgate interview in the new issue Phelps says that Malto, Grant Taylor and Leo are all contenders for SOTY.

El Venado Zombi

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
why the fuck would pfanner get soty? dude exclusively does ollies, 180's, and kickflips. well at least you guys looked cool by nominating him though
It's not always about the trick. Gravette usually 50-50s everything but it's still sick. Also, did you forget this:

Anyway, I would probably vote for him, although it would be nice to see a full video part before he turns pro.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
I don't get why you would give it to pfanner, too early yet.
busenitz's real part will bag him SOTY.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
^Has anyone gotten SOTY from a part in a Transworld video? That being said, I'd be stoked if Dylan got it, but since it looks like Brainwash will be out before the end of the year, Leo's getting it.
Tony Trujillo won it the year in bloom came out.

As far as Leo goes, he probably has a chance (as much as it would be a bad pick) but its not about who gets the most footage or photos, its about the person who gets the best coverage and photos. People who don't get any won't win, but I sincerely doubt they give it out by simply counting published photos.

Was pfive pfridays with pfanner this year? Shit he did in that was mind melting. As far as the just ollies, kickflips, and 180s thing goes- he has and can do more, but the fact is, he is going to areas that are well known and scouted out by skaters, and doing those kickflips and ollies and 180's over gaps that nobody has ever touched, and most would consider impossible.

In terms of the "too soon" claim, I disagree. When Cardiel won it, most people outside of Norcal barely even knew who he was if they did at all, but KT or whoever was in charge at the time knew what was up, and gave it to who deserved it.
SOTY's where they crown a king out of a fresh face that rips are WAY better than the ones where it is given to somebody who is already a superstar.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

thugnificent

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's not always about the trick. Gravette usually 50-50s everything but it's still sick. Also, did you forget this:

Anyway, I would probably vote for him, although it would be nice to see a full video part before he turns pro.

another 180...and yes gravette does a lot of 5050's but he also does a shit load of other tricks, pfanner doesnt. people here always try clowning sheckler saying he doesnt skate switch enough, yet they love pfanner. I dont think he has ever done a trick switch.

El Venado Zombi

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
It isn't always about the trick, although Pfanner has done a couple tricks aside from the ones mentioned:

Again, it isn't always about the trick. It's about the spot. A lot of the gaps he skates has sketchy runways [I'm not sure if that's the right word.]. Also, he 180s gaps before he kickflips them. The spots are scary as fuck, so it wouldn't be wise to try something he isn't comfortable with, when it can result in broken bones.

EDIT:
It's also too early judge him negatively, considering he hasn't put out a Vans or Anti-Hero part. Who knows what the fuck he's holding back for those.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:20:08 PM by El Venado Zombi »

Schteven

• Rep: -7
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
I'm wondering, does SOTY come with anything else then fame and a big-ass interview? Like money prize or something?

I think I should get it, I've been killing it this year. Today did a front shove down SIX STAIR!
Fantesticle!

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
My vote: Busenitz, Leo, or Westgate.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

thugnificent

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
why would busenitz get it? do you really think he has done more than leo, cole, or pudwill the past year? lets be realistic here

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
leo better get it.... i think everyone in the industry has recognised the amount of good coverage he's had.

if the RVCA promo was this year then that'll be 3 solid parts in a year.

(i guess his brainwash part will be amazing as the amount of throwaway he's put out has stupid and he would've kept some if he was feeling he was slacking...)

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Free Max B
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
none of this shit matters, if were talking about the thrasher award it solely comes down to who phelps thinks "has done the most for the mag". its going to be leo
FREE MAX B

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you forget about this one? Why didn't he get SOTY that year?

You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

kazbenson

• Rep: -271
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »
Leo is the obvious choice at the moment
Grant and Pfanner could get one in a Silas-style. Being a  bit undergroundish (as in not putting out full, hyped parts or interviews) but just consistantly ripping
Any signs of the real video coming out before '11 ?

As far as the tws awards
team - emerica
video - stay gold
video part - some part in stay gold
skater - someone riding for emerica
readers choice - someone riding for emerica
rookie - is westgate still considered rookie ?

happens every time some company puts out a full video
Guys, the tws awards already came out remember?
koston's career isn't based on the site...

BuddyPal

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:55 PM »
leo
pfanner
westgate
torey
grant taylor
eli reed was killing it at the beginning of the year

ohyouskatewhocares

• Rep: -17
  • shaolinshaolin
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 09:21:14 PM »
leo

the man who destroyed skateboarding

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »

Probably Leo

My general sentiment is that SOTY doesn't mean shit and it's far to heavily discussed on here,  but I still think it would be a bit of a travesty if Sean Malto won it.

wheee!

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »
Leonardo
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

peacebrother

• Rep: 11
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »
SOTY's turned into the grammys.  I could tell as soon as Cole doubled up.  Industry bullshit.  Which is why I think Leo will win.  People have been talking for so long, and he's made all the right :-* moves this year.

It makes me so sad. This is not what SOTY should be about.  I'd rather see some random ass dude win it every year.  It shouldn't be built on reputation and connections.

Dy-lan has made a very convincing late run though.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
In the Brandon Westgate interview in the new issue Phelps says that Malto, Grant Taylor and Leo are all contenders for SOTY.
What the fuck? Has Malto done anything this year?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
After Origin comes out, I think Austyn Gillette will have a good chance. He's had a good spread of ads, online content, and Phelps isn't opposed to an Am winning it. But I'm definitely on the Leo's-gonna-win-it boat.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?