Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8684843 times)

MyUserName

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #47010 on: December 02, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
What was his second shoe like? I don’t recall seeing it.

switch209

• Rep: -14
« Reply #47011 on: December 02, 2022, 12:05:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I watched an Austyn part before I fell asleep last night after I saw that photo and I had a weird dream where I met Austin out in NYC and he gave me some Globe stuff including his pro model and I had to figure out how to sound appreciative and hide how bummed I was because he seemed really invested in how I’d react to those shoes. I told him they were going to be cool chill shoes because I only skate cupsoles and he reassured me these would be fine and to let him know what I thought.

I’ve been having a lot of weird dreams lately but none that were that specific.
[close]

gnar'd
[close]
The combination of this dream and ipath cats picture reminded me of how much I wanted austyns second habitat shoe that never came out. Should of made those too Appleyard would prob wear them

are there any photos of the shoe? curious to what they wouldve looked like, I heard he was suppose to have a second but never knew of it actually going as far as sampling before he left

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #47012 on: December 02, 2022, 09:06:06 PM »
Oh god this is going to drive me crazy because I remember seeing them and being interested in trying them. If I remember correctly, they weren't too different from his first pro model - more a slight update than a massive shift. I think they had that same A detailing on the side, were slim, but were also thin cupsoles? Or the rumor was they were going to be because it was around the time where vulcs were 99% of the market and you could rarely find cupsoles so anytime a new cupsole was released, I gave it serious consideration. I'm gonna go crazy looking for it now.

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #47013 on: December 02, 2022, 09:29:37 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/0Jhbh9jAyF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Too lazy to mess up tryna embed a photo…
This reminds me of slash’s second pro model on fallen that was supposed to come out.
Someone please find a pic of that!!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #47014 on: December 02, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/0Jhbh9jAyF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Too lazy to mess up tryna embed a photo…
This reminds me of slash’s second pro model on fallen that was supposed to come out.
Someone please find a pic of that!!
Fukn ripped laces! Just went thru entire weartested account like where the fuck are they lol. I saw a pair in person once without the A on the side when some shop had a bunch of sample shit on sale. They seemed a little more mid toppy. Maybe a bit like a thin halfcab how it looks like a mid but really it's a low that's cut a bit more square across

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47015 on: December 02, 2022, 09:39:02 PM »
Dude - I literally just found it via Ripped Laces too (using the Wayback Machine)!

Yeah, I really liked these weirdly. Based on some of the pages in this thread back in the 400s, there were plans for Habitat to still release these after Austyn left in both this version and a high top, but without the A symbol. And they were potentially going to re-release his first model without the A.

I think I'd still try these.

EDIT:

Diving into the archive of this thread, I came across these from when Pat Duffy was ripping off all of his random pro models. Here's Vox ripping off the Austyn 2 with wingtip threading:

And here's an Airspeed shoe ripping off the PRod 8

I just realized Airspeed ripped off the "FLYWIRE" label in the PRod 8 but just wrote "LACE SHIELD." Fucking genius.

Cody McEntire ripped off the Austyn 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EsNgvzJN1Q
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:49:40 PM by oyolar »

TreyPhillip

« Reply #47016 on: December 02, 2022, 09:40:13 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47017 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »
Yep - just found them here too: https://www.the-house.com/fn0sla209bwd15zz-fallen-skate-shoes

Trey, you're killing it.

TreyPhillip

« Reply #47018 on: December 02, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
Speaking of Austyn and hightops without “A’s” on them…

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #47019 on: December 02, 2022, 10:14:55 PM »
Speaking of Austyn and hightops without “A’s” on them…

I rate these without the excess rubber seen on the lows.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47020 on: December 02, 2022, 10:33:26 PM »
Those look a lot better than the lows (although the laces / top of the foot look stiff and too straight? I feel like it should curve in more). I'd actually have worn those if they were in the box he gave me.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #47021 on: December 03, 2022, 10:42:42 AM »
I fuck with the green and black colorway. Lets see the rest of the Globe catalog.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #47022 on: December 03, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
I like the Mids alot espically in black.
He's got a tan raindrop camo kind of pattern coming out in the lows to, might be nice for a fancy dinner party...

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2224
« Reply #47023 on: December 03, 2022, 11:56:19 AM »
Those Habitat Austyn's are some Denver Hayes Mark's Work Warehouse lookin shits.

switch209

« Reply #47024 on: December 03, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
Dude - I literally just found it via Ripped Laces too (using the Wayback Machine)!

Yeah, I really liked these weirdly. Based on some of the pages in this thread back in the 400s, there were plans for Habitat to still release these after Austyn left in both this version and a high top, but without the A symbol. And they were potentially going to re-release his first model without the A.

EDIT:

Diving into the archive of this thread, I came across these from when Pat Duffy was ripping off all of his random pro models. Here's Vox ripping off the Austyn 2 with wingtip threading:

I just realized Airspeed ripped off the "FLYWIRE" label in the PRod 8 but just wrote "LACE SHIELD." Fucking genius.

Thank you for the photos, and mean salto as well!

Those wouldve been a good shift in Habitat's catalog especially as someone else said, damn near all shoes at the time were vulcs, and im sure it wouldve been like the Figgy's were of being able to be worn without laces and still hold your foot in nicely.

Idk, I always had a stigma of brands branching off into other product and not wanting to test them out until years down the line to know their product can stick around enough to compete in key aspects, such as durability and be price pointed well. Habitat footwear, Element footwear, World Industries Footwear, and even Zoo York Footwear, especially with the one horrible rap song they had with one of the ams getting paid videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7gzfRTnYY

I never realized they had a whole mixtape when looking for that video...dodged a huge bullet

But I always felt them dipping is similar to how board brands make wheels but none of the board riders use the wheels, they have sponsors specific for making wheels. idk I guess i might be too judgemental about the whole thing looking back on it.

grassblade

« Reply #47025 on: December 03, 2022, 01:57:46 PM »
i ain’t wearing no motherfucking globes

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47026 on: December 03, 2022, 02:00:49 PM »
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

Those wouldve been a good shift in Habitat's catalog especially as someone else said, damn near all shoes at the time were vulcs, and im sure it wouldve been like the Figgy's were of being able to be worn without laces and still hold your foot in nicely.

Idk, I always had a stigma of brands branching off into other product and not wanting to test them out until years down the line to know their product can stick around enough to compete in key aspects, such as durability and be price pointed well. Habitat footwear, Element footwear, World Industries Footwear, and even Zoo York Footwear, especially with the one horrible rap song they had with one of the ams getting paid videos

I never realized they had a whole mixtape when looking for that video...dodged a huge bullet

But I always felt them dipping is similar to how board brands make wheels but none of the board riders use the wheels, they have sponsors specific for making wheels. idk I guess i might be too judgemental about the whole thing looking back on it.
By few accounts the habitat shoes were actually good tho. Basically the same as gravis and DC at the time as it was all that weird Burton/Quiksilver period. They had another cupsole they used on a few models which was supposed to be alright and for that time their vulcs looked acceptable. I never saw a pair in my size tho which at that time was almost guaranteed to look bad.
(Random example of what a larger size vulc shoe looked like ten year ago) https://www.instagram.com/p/CltB2PCMvtC/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47027 on: December 03, 2022, 02:40:16 PM »
Naming a shoe brand after a board brand is a bad idea. I stand by if Habitat Footwear was exactly the same but had a different name, kept the same team and a few non-Habitat riders, and was distributed by DNA, it would have been much more warmly received. Especially since I-Path was in a weird spot at the time. The Habitat Moray that Suciu was wearing a lot of in his Search the Horizon part and right before he left for Adidas is a really good looking shoe and Guru’s pro model was a cool concept (can transition between low and high) that looked way better than it should have.

There were some samples of Element Footwear shared on Slap years ago when they were debating to do a relaunch or call it quits and those looked interesting and skateable. If they were a wider team and different name but same designs, it would have probably been fine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 05:18:25 PM by oyolar »

switch209

« Reply #47028 on: December 03, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
Naming a shoe brand after a bird brand is a bad idea. I stand by if Habitat Footwear was exactly the same but had a different name, kept the same team and a few non-Habitat riders, and was distributed by DNA, it would have been much more warmly received. Especially since I-Path was in a weird spot at the time. The Habitat Moray that Suciu was wearing a lot of in his Search the Horizon part and right before he left for Adidas is a really good looking shoe and Guru’s pro model was a cool concept (can transition between low and high) that looked way better than it should have.

There were some samples of Element Footwear shared on Slap years ago when they were debating to do a relaunch or call it quits and those looked interesting and skateable. If they were a wider team and different name but same designs, it would have probably been fine.

I shouldve added that, but that's kind of what I was going for. In my mind, naming it the same as a different product of the same name meant some limitations: did you possibly have to ride for both (as Suciu was told to be in the Habitat video), Could you ride for the footwear without being on Habitat skateboards? A different name wouldve solved the issue, as it couldve meant that riders of other board brands coudlve came on without the idea of being connected to both board and shoe sponsors, and couldve really broadened out the reach of seeing different skaters of all different styles wearing them. Yes for familiarity and name recognition it's good, but that's where it stops, again at least to me. 

switch209

« Reply #47029 on: December 03, 2022, 03:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

EDIT:

[close]

[close]
By few accounts the habitat shoes were actually good tho. Basically the same as gravis and DC at the time as it was all that weird Burton/Quiksilver period. They had another cupsole they used on a few models which was supposed to be alright and for that time their vulcs looked acceptable. I never saw a pair in my size tho which at that time was almost guaranteed to look bad.
(Random example of what a larger size vulc shoe looked like ten year ago) https://www.instagram.com/p/CltB2PCMvtC/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I only had the square 1s, not the 2s, I liked the wider toe since I have a wide foot and my flick never suffered from a lack of the pointed toe. Only pointer toe vulc I had from Es at that time was Bobby Worrests first pro model, I still have one pair in my closet never worn of the blue/black/yellow checkerboard colorway. I really liked that shoe.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2224
« Reply #47030 on: December 03, 2022, 04:48:34 PM »
I had a friend who worked at DNA and would send me stuff when the blog was in it's heyday. He sent me a pair of these brown/gum Vireos and they actually skated really good.

I wore them with brown heavy canvas work jeans and a kelly green Green Apple tee and I thought it was the fit of the year for sure.

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #47031 on: December 03, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
I had a friend who worked at DNA and would send me stuff when the blog was in it's heyday. He sent me a pair of these brown/gum Vireos and they actually skated really good.

I wore them with brown heavy canvas work jeans and a kelly green Green Apple tee and I thought it was the fit of the year for sure.

Wasn’t this the DVS Berra 3?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47032 on: December 03, 2022, 05:29:32 PM »
No, those shoes look very different.

Watson - that sounds like an A+ fit. It sucks to hear that Habitat Footwear was good but we all know it failed because of its name.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #47033 on: December 03, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
You saw that toe and the first thing you thought of was a dvs Steve Berra shoe?

dstrytruitt

« Reply #47034 on: December 03, 2022, 06:46:27 PM »
You saw that toe and the first thing you thought of was a dvs Steve Berra shoe?

Nah, saw the leather collar and it reminded me of the Berras that used to sit unsold on the shop shelf where I worked.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #47035 on: December 03, 2022, 07:27:45 PM »
When that Berra shoe was out almost every skate shoe that was a cup sole had the same design.
I still have a pair of dvs Tim Gavin blueprint collabs(for reference the Gavin was a shoe in the line for DVS that Paul shier and others would skate and he was long long gone from skating at that point but his ego must have been huge to still put his name on a shoe).
They made that berra 3 in dozens of colors, also the revival and mike Taylor’s shoe had a similar build.

dstrytruitt

« Reply #47036 on: December 03, 2022, 07:56:05 PM »
When that Berra shoe was out almost every skate shoe that was a cup sole had the same design.
I still have a pair of dvs Tim Gavin blueprint collabs(for reference the Gavin was a shoe in the line for DVS that Paul shier and others would skate and he was long long gone from skating at that point but his ego must have been huge to still put his name on a shoe).
They made that berra 3 in dozens of colors, also the revival and mike Taylor’s shoe had a similar build.

The DVS era was something. Everyone did skate the Gavin at some point it seemed and the Revival survived another five or so years on the metal mulisha scene.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #47037 on: December 03, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »
speaking of dvs.

they have at least one lesser bulky shoe out.
still waiting to see what cody mac had been skating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjjR7KkNi6_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #47038 on: December 03, 2022, 10:20:59 PM »
I bet I could join a discussion forum on a subject I know absolutely nothing about, like sailboats of the 19th century or medieval undergarments, and make far more relevant comparisons than some people do here with shoes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47039 on: December 03, 2022, 11:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wasn’t this the DVS Berra 3?

Funny to think the berras were thought of as thin shoes at the time too. I won a random contest and got to pick some DVS shoes so I said the berras or the dills because in my head they were the same as puma clydes I'd been wearing. But they sent me the dill 2s that were proper crusty demons. While back also saw some footage of a friend in revivals and it just looked like he was wearing the shoe box they were so massive