Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8852687 times)

Turtle Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #50160 on: September 17, 2023, 12:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Bic has sold the same lighter for fifty years. Maybe Adidas just knows they have a couple shoes that sell good no matter what and everytime they try something new it's generally not received that well
[close]

It's ironic because they pushed 4 iterations with the 3.st line and for the most part those shoes seemed to do well/were not a total flop at the time. Unless my memory is wrong but 3st.004 and the 3st.001 were really popular before Tyshawn's shoe dropped.

They do know what sells the best: busenitz, superstars, tyshawn, and select team models, so it makes sense they're steering more of their effort into those over being experimental like they were 5-7 years ago.

I also think Scott Johnston leaving and Adidas reshuffling their brand presence in the skateboard world via pulling out of shops is damaging their image, too. That's affected their direction significantly, imo.

Whatever is going on at corporate HQ is trickling down to surface level and negatively affecting their reception by us outside of their successful choices.

Speaking of which: the Abnormal Communication series with Adidas riders is the exact thing I enjoy from them. Gonz, Drake Johnson, Suciu, Maite, etc. all stacking clips in a city with some commentary satisfies my personal enjoyment. That's how I envisioned these big companies in skating. Put out good shoes, pay filmer(s) to stack clips of their incredible team, and put out rad edits from that. That's solid marketing/direction for sure.
I'm not an expert but if Scott Johnston left at the start of this year, all the current models and direction was planned when he was still working for adidas. I guess the "real" change (if something actually changes) will appear on the shelves around next summer.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 37
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #50161 on: September 17, 2023, 02:14:23 PM »
Adidas is either bland or ugly with their models. Also their insoles are garbage

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50162 on: September 17, 2023, 04:52:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bic has sold the same lighter for fifty years. Maybe Adidas just knows they have a couple shoes that sell good no matter what and everytime they try something new it's generally not received that well
[close]

It's ironic because they pushed 4 iterations with the 3.st line and for the most part those shoes seemed to do well/were not a total flop at the time. Unless my memory is wrong but 3st.004 and the 3st.001 were really popular before Tyshawn's shoe dropped.

They do know what sells the best: busenitz, superstars, tyshawn, and select team models, so it makes sense they're steering more of their effort into those over being experimental like they were 5-7 years ago.

I also think Scott Johnston leaving and Adidas reshuffling their brand presence in the skateboard world via pulling out of shops is damaging their image, too. That's affected their direction significantly, imo.

Whatever is going on at corporate HQ is trickling down to surface level and negatively affecting their reception by us outside of their successful choices.

Speaking of which: the Abnormal Communication series with Adidas riders is the exact thing I enjoy from them. Gonz, Drake Johnson, Suciu, Maite, etc. all stacking clips in a city with some commentary satisfies my personal enjoyment. That's how I envisioned these big companies in skating. Put out good shoes, pay filmer(s) to stack clips of their incredible team, and put out rad edits from that. That's solid marketing/direction for sure.
[close]
I'm not an expert but if Scott Johnston left at the start of this year, all the current models and direction was planned when he was still working for adidas. I guess the "real" change (if something actually changes) will appear on the shelves around next summer.
why did he leave/where us he going to?

thehogsniper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #50163 on: September 17, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »
As someone who actually loved them years ago I'll testify to the fact that Adidas as a company isn't doing very good right now, and that's bled right over into the skate division. Their Spezial line (essentially this british terrace oriented line that focuses on re-introducing models with top of the line materials) has fallen to hitting the clearance bins. Their collaborations within their Originals line are too numerous and overdone, have to be put on sale to move. The Adidas Forum was supposed to be THEIR Air Jordan 1/Dunk (in their own words) but has flopped at retail. People literally cannot get rid of that shoe, it's a brick on foot and on shelf. Their decisions to move away from selling to skate shops was probably a boardroom decision, but has cost Adidas Skateboarding all of their creditability. Nobody wants the Tyshawn, Puig, Nora, Busentiz at full price. Out of any shoe company in existence right now Adidas has the sheer largest amount of potential and the worst execution. I don't give a flying fuck about half of their team, their models are largely just the same models as five years ago with worse QC and materials. These new "00s skateboarding" shoes (00s campus/superstar XLG/adimatic) aren't even made for their skateboarding division.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #50164 on: September 17, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »
As someone who actually loved them years ago I'll testify to the fact that Adidas as a company isn't doing very good right now, and that's bled right over into the skate division. Their Spezial line (essentially this british terrace oriented line that focuses on re-introducing models with top of the line materials) has fallen to hitting the clearance bins. Their collaborations within their Originals line are too numerous and overdone, have to be put on sale to move. The Adidas Forum was supposed to be THEIR Air Jordan 1/Dunk (in their own words) but has flopped at retail. People literally cannot get rid of that shoe, it's a brick on foot and on shelf. Their decisions to move away from selling to skate shops was probably a boardroom decision, but has cost Adidas Skateboarding all of their creditability. Nobody wants the Tyshawn, Puig, Nora, Busentiz at full price. Out of any shoe company in existence right now Adidas has the sheer largest amount of potential and the worst execution. I don't give a flying fuck about half of their team, their models are largely just the same models as five years ago with worse QC and materials. These new "00s skateboarding" shoes (00s campus/superstar XLG/adimatic) aren't even made for their skateboarding division.

Itís funny there apparently was a rumor (mentioned and debunked in that DOA podcast posted) that Dill was the reason Adidas canned their skate reps.   Canít imagine why he would even want that. 

I will say those, his Sambas are pretty good and arenít Sambas in general the new Zoomer shoe?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 906
« Reply #50165 on: September 17, 2023, 08:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Itís funny there apparently was a rumor (mentioned and debunked in that DOA podcast posted) that Dill was the reason Adidas canned their skate reps.   Canít imagine why he would even want that. 

I will say those, his Sambas are pretty good and arenít Sambas in general the new Zoomer shoe?
Literally just saw an ad for sambas with a bunch of zoomers sitting around. (But shot with like a fake vhs so maybe trying to appeal to Gen X? too) no luck finding the ad to link but YouTube has about a trillion videos about yes but sambas/don't buy sambas, men over 30 don't buy blah blah blah

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #50166 on: September 17, 2023, 08:06:53 PM »

I feel like I see the Forums quite a lot and it doesn't seem like they've been a total flop at retail. Then again, I'm not clued into actual numbers, only my personal perception.  Plus, I own a pair of Forum Mid and I like them a lot for casual wear
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:25:29 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #50167 on: September 17, 2023, 08:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Literally just saw an ad for sambas with a bunch of zoomers sitting around. (But shot with like a fake vhs so maybe trying to appeal to Gen X? too) no luck finding the ad to link but YouTube has about a trillion videos about yes but sambas/don't buy sambas, men over 30 don't buy blah blah blah

yeah they are super popular again, as happens every what 5-10ish years with them at this point??, but they are already everywhere so much it's extremely funny seeing people try to gatekeep them

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #50168 on: September 17, 2023, 11:26:27 PM »
What made the recent Samba 'explosion' happen. People would buy them anyway but they're being pushed even harder now I don't understand what is going on.

heinzketchup

• Rep: 67
« Reply #50169 on: September 17, 2023, 11:35:59 PM »
i guess the samba is just what the old school used to be
i see so many people wear them, irl and on ig, its so much that i now dislike the shoe almost.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50170 on: September 18, 2023, 12:02:49 AM »
What made the recent Samba 'explosion' happen. People would buy them anyway but they're being pushed even harder now I don't understand what is going on.

Who knows why everyone is wearing Peggy hill Jean shorts either

Weíre a few years away from it, but i shudder to think about the day those early 00s clothing trends come back

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #50171 on: September 18, 2023, 12:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah they are super popular again, as happens every what 5-10ish years with them at this point??, but they are already everywhere so much it's extremely funny seeing people try to gatekeep them

The Samba was never nowhere near the popularity it is right now at any point in time. Girls are moving from the panda dunk into black/white Sambas, stores canít keep them in store. The growth of that shoe alone is probably bigger than the whole core skate shoe business lol. And any shoe that falls into that ďT-toeĒ umbrella has seen a mad growth too. Adidas low profile silhouettes are the It thing right now, indoor Spezial, Gazelle, the Terrace range...
Even the Superstar, altho an all time popular shoe, is also seen a rise in popularity (mainly the all black with white stripes is working pretty well).

Ah and the Campus 00s has also took off on TikTok and now itís a hype shoe that sells out in seconds.

But yeah, if adidas brings back the Silas 1 they might save the brand   ::)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -132
« Reply #50172 on: September 18, 2023, 01:38:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The Samba was never nowhere near the popularity it is right now at any point in time. Girls are moving from the panda dunk into black/white Sambas, stores canít keep them in store. The growth of that shoe alone is probably bigger than the whole core skate shoe business lol. And any shoe that falls into that ďT-toeĒ umbrella has seen a mad growth too. Adidas low profile silhouettes are the It thing right now, indoor Spezial, Gazelle, the Terrace range...
Even the Superstar, altho an all time popular shoe, is also seen a rise in popularity (mainly the all black with white stripes is working pretty well).

Ah and the Campus 00s has also took off on TikTok and now itís a hype shoe that sells out in seconds.

Pretty much this. I'd also like to add that Adidas lost their biggest marketing tool with Yeezy stuff getting cancelled. So they had to look for alternatives in their line and direct their marketing push to something else that would sell. So why not turn to their classics before they come up with something new.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50173 on: September 18, 2023, 02:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty much this. I'd also like to add that Adidas lost their biggest marketing tool with Yeezy stuff getting cancelled. So they had to look for alternatives in their line and direct their marketing push to something else that would sell. So why not turn to their classics before they come up with something new.

Their Beyoncť collab line was so bad they had to cancel the line bc the stuff was just sitting on the shelves.

dj nipslip

« Reply #50174 on: September 18, 2023, 07:23:01 AM »
Man, that new shanahan shoe tanked. My shop rep said they only sold 1 pair of the first color and none of the second, yet they got 2 pairs of each size of both shoes

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #50175 on: September 18, 2023, 07:27:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

so what i said was right, no?

Expand Quote
[close]

Who knows why everyone is wearing Peggy hill Jean shorts either

Weíre a few years away from it, but i shudder to think about the day those early 00s clothing trends come back

brother, it's here already

i guess the samba is just what the old school used to be
i see so many people wear them, irl and on ig, its so much that i now dislike the shoe almost.

can't let yourself take psych damage from a wave of popularity, not good to live like that

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #50176 on: September 18, 2023, 07:28:24 AM »
Man, that new shanahan shoe tanked. My shop rep said they only sold 1 pair of the first color and none of the second, yet they got 2 pairs of each size of both shoes

I'm sure the price and the colorways didn't help it. Can't think of a guy more deserving of a pro shoe, yet what comes out is absolutely nasty.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

dj nipslip

« Reply #50177 on: September 18, 2023, 07:31:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm sure the price and the colorways didn't help it. Can't think of a guy more deserving of a pro shoe, yet what comes out is absolutely nasty.

Agreed. The first shoe was expensive enough at 120, especially being marketed to a crowd that probably isn't dishing out 120 on a brand like DC. Must've not been enough considering the second was 140. Wouldn't be surprised if the third is 160. My shop said they're considering just dropping DC altogether since they just sit and don't pay rent.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -44
« Reply #50178 on: September 18, 2023, 07:54:33 AM »
Yes adidas sambas are working for the gorls right now with their vintage soccer jersey + dad jeans/jorts aesthetic.

dj nipslip

« Reply #50179 on: September 18, 2023, 07:58:38 AM »
What did jorts ever do to you guys to deserve this slander

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50180 on: September 18, 2023, 09:32:26 AM »
I guess jorts are just kinda pointless, if it's hot enough to wear shorts just wear proper shorts, if you need to wear jeans just wear jeans.
Also wearers almost always have swamp ass/look like they shat themselves. (Apart from black/dark navy)

Anyway since everyone's talking about sambas/terrace type shoes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF4XTXUbPW8

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #50181 on: September 18, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »
Yes adidas sambas are working for the gorls right now with their vintage soccer jersey + dad jeans/jorts aesthetic.

blokecore

truthislie

• Rep: 61
« Reply #50182 on: September 18, 2023, 11:49:50 AM »

Sorry I didnt specify but I meant it might help adidas skateline and not the brand as a whole.

Shuh

• Rep: 10
« Reply #50183 on: September 19, 2023, 09:05:59 AM »
Emerica on Instagram just announced re-release of the MJ1, what is the verdict on the previous limited release is it good?

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 18
« Reply #50184 on: September 19, 2023, 09:25:12 AM »
Emerica on Instagram just announced re-release of the MJ1, what is the verdict on the previous limited release is it good?

Low quality and corners were cut.
Multiple shops dropped Emerica because of their lack of proper communication and the delivery of a sub-par product, which was different to what was booked from the catalogs.
They have fixed the description in the newer catalogs, but the damage is still done and the shoe is still trash.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50185 on: September 19, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »
I heard it was ubershit
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #50186 on: September 19, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Low quality and corners were cut.
Multiple shops dropped Emerica because of their lack of proper communication and the delivery of a sub-par product, which was different to what was booked from the catalogs.
They have fixed the description in the newer catalogs, but the damage is still done and the shoe is still trash.

So you're saying Sole Tech did as Sole Tech does?

FROTHY

« Reply #50187 on: September 19, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I heard it was ubershit
What were the shortcomings? Durability/quality, no insole or midsole, weird sizing? Those characteristics apply to some of my favorite shoes to skate (i.e. 440 high).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50188 on: September 19, 2023, 11:05:32 AM »
Everyone compares the new ogs to the original MJ's but has anybody compared them to the ogs from 08ish? Would kinda make more sense if they were remakes of those shoes

thehogsniper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #50189 on: September 19, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I heard it was ubershit
[close]
What were the shortcomings? Durability/quality, no insole or midsole, weird sizing? Those characteristics apply to some of my favorite shoes to skate (i.e. 440 high).
I believe what happened is specific aspects of the shoe and it's construction were described to shops in one way and released with major changes. I don't recall what it was exactly (I think it was described as full EVA foam), but as previously said it ruffled a lot of feathers. Retail is in the midst of declining sales across the board, so shops can't afford to make so many mistakes. I hope someone can fill us in more about a few things:
what exactly changed from the pre-release details to the released shoe?
were shops made aware of the changes prior to release and given the option to cancel their pre-order?
how many shops dropped emerica after this?
has any accountability been taken by soletech?