Author Topic: BATB 4 U.S. vs Them  (Read 266242 times)

Pavementi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BATB 4 U.S. vs Them
« Reply #1710 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i fucking hate this term circus tricks. kickflips were circus tricks when rodney first threw them out. as were most of tony hawks trick on vert. progression.
[close]

So you're saying that bringing back tricks that no one does any more is progression? How would you define regression then?
[close]
Not quite. "Circus tricks" isn't only applied to older tricks that no one does any more, it's what the curmudgeons use to describe anything that isn't a 180 kick/heel variation.

Except for the 360 flip which somehow escaped being flamed.  I've never understood how a laser can be a circus trick but a tre is as legit as can be...
[close]
I'm pretty sure its because 360 flips often look good, and laser flips often do not.
I always assumed that was the general consensus too, but two things changed my mind. A) It's the same motion as a varial heel so the hypocrisy of castigating one trick over the other is regular. B) Skaters have just gotten better with their board control so lasers don't flip all wack now. I've seen Ishod do them in person and he barely has to flick his feet to make it happen, and it doesn't look shitty at all.

This just makes me believe that anyone shitting on circus tricks now just can't see the evolution of skating. I will bet that dudes will be doing full cab varial flips over rails in a few years time. (Or has that already been done???)
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #1711 on: June 24, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
point A) varial is the same motion as a 3 flip and people still talk tons of shit on it

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1712 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
point A) varial is the same motion as a 3 flip and people still talk tons of shit on it

a properly caught varial flip feels really good, i never got all the hate... i know little kids do them all the time, but if you don't just roll them or flip them really quick then they look really nice, except switch most of the time

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1713 on: June 24, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
I also take crcus trick as something which looks crazy, but is essentially useless to do anything with. Pressure flips never popped, and very few people legitimately catch late tricks. So certain tricks like kickflips which can basically be done onto into or over anything that can be ollied evolved, and others just stayed as stupid things dorks did on flatground only. Honestly, I think Laser flips might be crossing over. I don't think before the past couple of years anybody was doing laser flips on anything but flatground or maybe down a 3-4 stair, but now you got T-Pud doing them over gnarly handrails. Not sure I've ever seen it done into or out of any grind/slide yet though, whereas pretty much every other trick mentioned as "not a circus trick" has. People have done 360 flips into about everything, noselide, nosegrind, tailslide, lipslide, 5050, 5-0... laser, not so much

Also I'm not sure there is a dictionary definition of "circus trick" so really, its just what skateboarders as a society decide upon as a circus trick. There may not be a definition, but there are lots of similar traits to commonly agreed upon circus tricks.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1714 on: June 24, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
I'm agreeing with Reagan so hard throughout this page.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Tha J-train

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1715 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
nollie laser flip out of a nosegrind by tabari cook around :30 sec...

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #1716 on: June 24, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
just like with anything, there are always exceptions, but for the most part i never want to see anybody do a fucking laser flip. or a "dolphin" flip. nollie hardflip is still pushing the line for me, and reynolds is about the only person who has ever made me consider a fakie varial heelflip looked cool.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1717 on: June 24, 2011, 08:07:03 PM »
I also take crcus trick as something which looks crazy, but is essentially useless to do anything with. Pressure flips never popped, and very few people legitimately catch late tricks. So certain tricks like kickflips which can basically be done onto into or over anything that can be ollied evolved, and others just stayed as stupid things dorks did on flatground only. Honestly, I think Laser flips might be crossing over. I don't think before the past couple of years anybody was doing laser flips on anything but flatground or maybe down a 3-4 stair, but now you got T-Pud doing them over gnarly handrails. Not sure I've ever seen it done into or out of any grind/slide yet though, whereas pretty much every other trick mentioned as "not a circus trick" has. People have done 360 flips into about everything, noselide, nosegrind, tailslide, lipslide, 5050, 5-0... laser, not so much

Also I'm not sure there is a dictionary definition of "circus trick" so really, its just what skateboarders as a society decide upon as a circus trick. There may not be a definition, but there are lots of similar traits to commonly agreed upon circus tricks.

I think Albert Nyberg did a laser flip into a back lip in one of the Berrics videos he was in.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #1718 on: June 24, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think Albert Nyberg did a laser flip into a back lip in one of the Berrics videos he was in.

He did.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #1719 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i fucking hate this term circus tricks. kickflips were circus tricks when rodney first threw them out. as were most of tony hawks trick on vert. progression.
[close]

So you're saying that bringing back tricks that no one does any more is progression? How would you define regression then?
[close]
Not quite. "Circus tricks" isn't only applied to older tricks that no one does any more, it's what the curmudgeons use to describe anything that isn't a 180 kick/heel variation.

Except for the 360 flip which somehow escaped being flamed.  I've never understood how a laser can be a circus trick but a tre is as legit as can be...
[close]
I'm pretty sure its because 360 flips often look good, and laser flips often do not.

Briden thinks Koston is the next Shane Heyl because he is regular and doesn't actually skate. Sorry he isn't a robot when he talks. When you guys talk shit on anybody but Shane Heyl joking around, it makes you come off as some asshole who needs things to always be serious all the time. No shit he's not a comedian, he's a grown man who makes a living riding a toy and is hanging out in his own warehouse, should he be acting like he is a lawyer in court?
[close]

oh brother. everytime a camera is on koston he acts like he is funny, he is not funny. it gets annoying. do you see every other guy who "makes a living riding a toy" act like that? no, not all pro skaters try to be funny or the center of attention constantly. i wouldnt mind it if he were actually funny.
[close]
You think he tries to be the center of attention constantly? For a half owner/founder of the berrics, he sure as fuck gets a lot less screen time than his partner. Aside from chomp on this, I really don't remember much footage of him hamming it up for the camera at all.

As far as his comedy goes, relax dude. I will never understand why people get so enraged when somebody says something they don't find funny. Its not like its an insult.

i agree, but it is annoying.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1720 on: June 24, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
torey did snowplow 5-0 lazer flip out in some video.

when is the finals
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

drunk

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1721 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
just like with anything, there are always exceptions, but for the most part i never want to see anybody do a fucking laser flip. or a "dolphin" flip. nollie hardflip is still pushing the line for me, and reynolds is about the only person who has ever made me consider a fakie varial heelflip looked cool.

chico?
formerly toonie

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #1722 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »

I'm just saying I can't be that judgmental about tricks. After all, in 1984 360 flips used to be stupid things that dorks (Rodney) did in flatground (freestyle) contests. I had a friend who told me how he'd get shit for freestying. "Real street skaters do bonlesses, and blah, blah, blah. Flip tricks are for dorks." BUT, years later?once someone respectable (JLee, Hensley, Klein) did them on street?it was all good.

Whatever, y'know. Attitudes change and we'll just have to see where skating goes from here.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Buddy G

« Reply #1723 on: June 25, 2011, 01:19:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

chico?

definitely. 2:02

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #1724 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
I think laser flips are ugly as hell.... I like variel heels though.. ???

tobal

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1725 on: June 25, 2011, 04:02:59 AM »

Exactly what i was about to say, you can pop them over rails, out of nosegrind or whatev it still looks ugly as hell.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #1726 on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly what i was about to say, you can pop them over rails, out of nosegrind or whatev it still looks ugly as hell.

I dont know anyone over the age of 15 that likes laser flips. Where im from its replaced the whole hey man can you do an impossible.
With so much hate towards it I dont understand why its hot shit. Nollie is alrite with me sometimes tho.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #1727 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:58 AM »
laser flips are tight. I can only do switch ones though.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1728 on: June 25, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
i think dolphin flips are pretty dope, when jimmy carlin or darrell stanton do them

bandini

« Reply #1729 on: June 25, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm just saying I can't be that judgmental about tricks. After all, in 1984 360 flips used to be stupid things that dorks (Rodney) did in flatground (freestyle) contests. I had a friend who told me how he'd get shit for freestying. "Real street skaters do bonlesses, and blah, blah, blah. Flip tricks are for dorks." BUT, years later?once someone respectable (JLee, Hensley, Klein) did them on street?it was all good.

THIS.

ALL of skateboarding is "circus tricks." All flip tricks started as something someone (usually Rodney, lol) did going real slow on flatground. Everyone said, "well, that's amazing, but..." blah blah blah - usually because they knew they couldn't do it.

I think almost any trick can be done with good style and pop by someone - or if not yet, then it'll happen.

Pressure flips may indeed be the flaw in my argument, here. But Caswell's one down Macba was pretty rad...: )

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: June 25, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
Perfect pressure flip 1:46

and 1:39

You can make any trick look good if you practice it.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1731 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »
Perfect pressure flip 1:46

and 1:39

You can make any trick look good if you practice it.

This, pressure flips are tight if they actually leave the ground and are not mobed like in 1990.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1732 on: June 25, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
That's what's wrong. People don't really know how to put shit in context. A lot of shit in the 90's looked bad because those guys were just learning how to skateboard. street skating was like 5-10 years old when a lot of those videos came out. If you look at any sport in it's infancy it will look way less polished than when it's 50+years old. Skateboarding is still young and people are still learning.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1733 on: June 25, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
COTG droppin knowledge like a motherfucker over here.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1734 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
He's back,

in a big way.

5inchDick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #1735 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
COTG droppin knowledge like a motherfucker over here.

TRUE MUTHA FUCKIN STORY ...

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #1736 on: June 26, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
That's what's wrong. People don't really know how to put shit in context. A lot of shit in the 90's looked bad because those guys were just learning how to skateboard. street skating was like 5-10 years old when a lot of those videos came out. If you look at any sport in it's infancy it will look way less polished than when it's 50+years old. Skateboarding is still young and people are still learning.

hahahahahah, what are you, like 12? street skating started in the early eighties, in the 90s shit always looked good. go watch love child or new world order, yeah, they were doing new shit, but they were the best, they had natural styles and everything looked good. even the h street shit looked good. you guys are on some serious meth.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1737 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
You don't know what you're talking about.

« Reply #1738 on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
i REALLY hope morgan smith wins this shit.  anybody but mo.

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #1739 on: June 26, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
You don't know what you're talking about.

so youre saying kareem didnt look good when he was skating? or hensley, or shiloh? how about mike carrol, koston, gonz, mariano, rudy johnson, brian lotti, seriously, you have no idea what youre talking about.