Author Topic: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?  (Read 173504 times)

20matar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: What aspect of skating did you particularly enjoy today?
« Reply #1170 on: June 14, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
My intern showed up to work with his WHIP in hand, a 7.9999999... Zero Skateistan board with 60mm wheels, and paper-thin riser pads. There's hardly room to put a finger between the wheel and the wood, even though he rides his trucks Nyjah tight there's gotta be a wealth of wheelbite in his future.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1171 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
show him some matt reason footage and get him hyped?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kook nukem

« Reply #1172 on: June 14, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
Skated under a bridge with my homie for 2.5 hours while it pissed rain. Tough flatground session where everything was soggy feeling, but still a good time.

N.L.

« Reply #1173 on: June 14, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
Solo at the park. Pre-work session. Mostly carving and grinding. Over dressed to force myself to sweat. Got closer to steel from aluminum.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1174 on: June 15, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »
my office is like a 15 minute walk from a major bus stop.  i;m skating after work today so i have my board with me.  I just had the most perfect ride from the bus stop to the office.  great pace (fast but not blasting), people moving out of the way the perfect time, no cars cutting in front of me, every car that pulled to the side gave me ample notice and no one was behind me so i could do extra wide weaves around them.  i was actually shaking when the ride was done. i almost called my mom.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Yu Dum

« Reply #1175 on: June 15, 2017, 05:57:10 AM »
Got some new Independent 149s and bones medium bushings yesterday, and decided to break them in after the rain cleared. I've never changed my bushings before, but I can feel the difference already. I'm stoked again.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #1176 on: June 15, 2017, 06:39:40 AM »
Getting straight no complies (step-hops?) on lock.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

shark tits

« Reply #1177 on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
bombing hills in traffic lately. also after i dropped books at library there's double sided curbs i boardslide and i got into a front blunt and noseblunt. kept going to front board and lipslide respectively when i tried to lay the hammer down but the beginner's luck i experienced makes me think i'll pick them up this yr like 'high guy' mariano 30 yrs ago.
i landed a fs varial flip to a dead stop the other night so i may pick those up this summer too.
the future's open wide, doo doo doo......

assholo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1178 on: June 18, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Two weeks of not being able to skate due to work, I finally could roll around and get reaquainted with the board. It took two day sessions to warm up a little where I felt a little comfortable again. Really wanted to go for learning fs tailslides, but didn't get to those. Still, I stuck a couple of boardslide transfers on a spine, which I had been eyeing before. It's typical; going to a spot with a certain trick in mind, barely even getting to that, but still do something new out of some more spontaneous rolling. Enjoyed.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #1179 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:04 PM »
Happened to go on a solo session yesterday. I had my book with me, so when I got exhausted and too sweaty, I sat down, read a chapter, and then continued skating.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1180 on: June 20, 2017, 05:09:44 AM »
When after a long study day where you feel like a worthless old fart you go skate and you slam (the good slams, no major ripercussions, just a scrape) you get up take a deep breath and think 'fuck, hell yeah, I'm alive'.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1181 on: June 20, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
I was getting nervous due to a lack of slams lately (I could feel one coming..), and today my number came up.

My face fucking bounced off the pavement lol. I really don't know what happened, it was one of those mystery thunder tosses that happens too quick to analyze. I was pushing nice and fast down a smooth bike path, next thing I know I'm flying forward and kissing concrete. Was really lucky I didn't knock any teeth out (was worried since I went numb and tasted blood right away). Now my shoulder is all messed up and I'm mildly concussed. It was a good day.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #1182 on: July 08, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
shaking off two weeks worth of rust after not being able to skate due to a combination of work and other various responsibilities, rain, and being out of town. felt good to finally get to claim some time for myself under the form of a solid, sunny afternoon of skating and not worrying. got to catch up with a bunch of old homies i only get to see a few times a year, too. atmosphere was hot, dense and humid to the point where it was hard to breathe in between lines, but it was cool to sweat my ass off - reminded me of when i was a kid skating our little hometown plaza in the summer heat. a few hours of perfect flatground with trashcans to lay down on their side, sandwiched in between two healthy doses of solo cruising around the city. did some simple stuff i had never done before, relearned an old trick (flatground switch big heels), i had missed socializing in a skate environment (for some reason), and that feeling of coming back home with your carcass drained and wrecked that i strive for.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #1183 on: July 09, 2017, 03:10:59 AM »
Slamming. Getting lost in your head and feeling immortal just to slam on a a pebble or crack. Really puts you in your place.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1184 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
Slamming. Getting lost in your head and feeling immortal just to slam on a a pebble or crack. Really puts you in your place.

all of this
even the steven

--

« Reply #1185 on: July 22, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
i did a line on my way home from the liquor store a few minutes ago. it was just basic tricks (ollie, 180) and i ended it with a (first try) switch manual, which i've struggle with in the past. nothing impressive, but it felt satisfying

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #1186 on: July 23, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Me and a couple homies went out skating the city after dark. We intended to get some stuff for a video I'M working on.
We just met up at a spot and pushed all through the city. We didn't film anything just cruised around and dorked off on some fun spots. It was a nice change of pace.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1187 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
Did my first ollie in over 7 months. Broke my leg pretty bad in December and the recovery is slow. Even in the best case scenario the docs say it takes one year to be fully back to normal.

Anyway, I've been rolling around on a cruiser board for a while now and it feels pretty good. Went to a parking lot spot with some nice curbs with a mate and did a few 50-50s on a curb where you can just ride directly on it. No need to ollie or slappy. Slammed quite good on one of those on my hurt leg and my fucked up shoulder, but it just felt good taking that slam. I knew right away it didn't fuck anything up. Anyway, after cruising around the parking lot, grinding the curb a bit and doing a bunch of reverts i for some reason decided to try a flatground ollie. First few weren't really all that successful but then i pulled one off. Hurt my knee though. Did another one and it hurt my knee also. Cruised around some more and decided to try more and god damn i pulled one off that felt good. Not high at all, but it was proper and felt good and didn't hurt one bit. Did maybe 20 more, cruised around some more and came home.

I'm beyond stoked right now. I really feel like I'm finally coming back, that I'm gonna be able to skate again. It's these little steps in the recovery that normally wouldn't mean anything that get you so fucking fired up and happy and also helps motivate on keeping up with the recovery exercises and all.  :)

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1188 on: July 23, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
Did my first ollie in over 7 months. Broke my leg pretty bad in December and the recovery is slow. Even in the best case scenario the docs say it takes one year to be fully back to normal.

Anyway, I've been rolling around on a cruiser board for a while now and it feels pretty good. Went to a parking lot spot with some nice curbs with a mate and did a few 50-50s on a curb where you can just ride directly on it. No need to ollie or slappy. Slammed quite good on one of those on my hurt leg and my fucked up shoulder, but it just felt good taking that slam. I knew right away it didn't fuck anything up. Anyway, after cruising around the parking lot, grinding the curb a bit and doing a bunch of reverts i for some reason decided to try a flatground ollie. First few weren't really all that successful but then i pulled one off. Hurt my knee though. Did another one and it hurt my knee also. Cruised around some more and decided to try more and god damn i pulled one off that felt good. Not high at all, but it was proper and felt good and didn't hurt one bit. Did maybe 20 more, cruised around some more and came home.

I'm beyond stoked right now. I really feel like I'm finally coming back, that I'm gonna be able to skate again. It's these little steps in the recovery that normally wouldn't mean anything that get you so fucking fired up and happy and also helps motivate on keeping up with the recovery exercises and all.  :)
Write it on your fridge or hand or forehead or get it tattooed on yourself, "do your rehab today". The more you do the better you'll get. The biggest mistake is feeling "ok" and slipping on it.
A good feeling ollie is amazing. It doesn't have to be high, but you can feel it stuck to your feet and know you could make it shifty or slam it down into a manual and it will just stick. Some days you have them and some days not so much but they feel so good.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #1189 on: July 23, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Vans demo in kc tonight fucking stoked

SamW

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1190 on: July 27, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »
I fractured parts of my foot a few months ago and i had to get surgery. It feels good to be rolling around again.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #1191 on: July 27, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
cruising around a new city & hitting up new spots with new friends. also skating my first ever legit street bump to bar (albeit for a noseslide fakie. i just so happened to be picturing jake rupp really really hard)

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1192 on: August 29, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Woke up early this morning to go to the local park to get a morning sesh in by myself. Ended up skating the park with a guy that works 3rd shift and was super cool and like minded in skating.

I like this morning skating
(Cool Trick GIF)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #1193 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:17 AM »
Been having a particularly rough month in life, which has left me with no opportunity or real motivation to skate. Yesterday there was an event at my local shop (the dudes who do that Look Back Library thing with old mags) so I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and went, which ended with a mini ramp sesh at my homie's place. I know it's kinda corny, but it really changes the tides of things when a good session makes you briefly forget everything else that's going on in the world, even if that session is less than an hour. Thank you skateboarding <3

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #1194 on: August 30, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
Been having a particularly rough month in life, which has left me with no opportunity or real motivation to skate. Yesterday there was an event at my local shop (the dudes who do that Look Back Library thing with old mags) so I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and went, which ended with a mini ramp sesh at my homie's place. I know it's kinda corny, but it really changes the tides of things when a good session makes you briefly forget everything else that's going on in the world, even if that session is less than an hour. Thank you skateboarding <3

Have a gnar, this is why we do it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1195 on: August 30, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »
There are three types of miniramp skaters.....50-50 guy....Rock fakie guy....and frontside guy.....

I am Rock fakie guy which is the worst.....but tonite I did back to back 50's......they finally made sense as even a set up trick....

Donald Rump

« Reply #1196 on: August 31, 2017, 01:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Write it on your fridge or hand or forehead or get it tattooed on yourself, "do your rehab today". The more you do the better you'll get. The biggest mistake is feeling "ok" and slipping on it.
A good feeling ollie is amazing. It doesn't have to be high, but you can feel it stuck to your feet and know you could make it shifty or slam it down into a manual and it will just stick. Some days you have them and some days not so much but they feel so good.

What Soda Jerk said.

I broke my leg and ankle badly a few years ago and have a bunch of screws and a plate, it took forever to muster the first ollie but shit it felt good in all its rocketed glory when I landed.

Major thing was trying to rebuild confidence, still struggling with that as any sort of jarring bail or landing can give me a numbing pain where the leg break occured (snapped the fibula in half) quite disconcerting.

Before I got broken off I used to get frustrated when my back tails werent sliding for long on nice sized ledges or was struggled to tre clean down shit.. now I have a shit eating grin just pulling some basic fifty's on a low curb and a couple of little boardslides. Skateboarding is beautiful.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1197 on: August 31, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
Finally able to push around after 3 weeks barely able to walk or do anything else, felt nice to push around the neighborhood for a half hour or so

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1198 on: August 31, 2017, 03:08:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

What Soda Jerk said.

I broke my leg and ankle badly a few years ago and have a bunch of screws and a plate, it took forever to muster the first ollie but shit it felt good in all its rocketed glory when I landed.

Major thing was trying to rebuild confidence, still struggling with that as any sort of jarring bail or landing can give me a numbing pain where the leg break occured (snapped the fibula in half) quite disconcerting.

Before I got broken off I used to get frustrated when my back tails werent sliding for long on nice sized ledges or was struggled to tre clean down shit.. now I have a shit eating grin just pulling some basic fifty's on a low curb and a couple of little boardslides. Skateboarding is beautiful.

This is all very good advice. Thanks guys. I've been skating more now but the progress is slow and sometimes it just doesn't work as well as it did the previous time. I was never any good but certainly better than now. Sometimes I forget that it doesn't matter what was before. What matters is now. I can still have tons of fun skating even if I can't do much yet, just gotta keep in mind that the reason I skate in the first place is to have fun, not so I could learn such and such in some set amount of time or bullshit like that. Also definitely keeping up with the rehab exercises as my plan is to get my body in a better shape overall so I can skate better and longer and do other physical stuff well until the day I die.  :)

shark tits

« Reply #1199 on: September 10, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
i relearned back lips on doublesided curb for the first time since when i met jim and dan.
it's like that bruce springsteen song 'all your tricks die, baby that's a fact. but maybe all your tricks that died will some day come back'