Author Topic: Washington, DC  (Read 6348 times)

MustardTigerPhilCollins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
  • Jesus was Batman
Washington, DC
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
Yo so I'm moving to the DC Northern VA just wondering where some of the good spots / parks are. I know about Pulaski and GVS and shti.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Re: Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
I live in Northern VA right now, my two favorite parks are probably Arlington (powhattan springs i think it's called, all concrete, great transition section, couple fun hips/ledges) and this new Herndon skatepark that's pretty mellow and also all 'crete. NoVA has some decent street spots, but you have to search for them. There's decent stair sets at George Mason University in fairfax, along with several gems in old town fairfax. in DC pretty much everywhere there's ledges, some nice banks if you go to the schools around South East (bring a friend...or 5. it can get dicey) Malcolm X park has some fun fountains to skate in the fall/winter, and of course sidewalk bumps and ledge stairs and other stuff to get weird on. across the street from the National Art Gallery there's a long, low 5 stair that's pretty popular, along with some more ledges. prepare for lots of ledges. Unfortunately a lot of DC street spots are a bust (surprise surprise), so it's probably best to not spend too much time at any one spot, cruise around a lot.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »
oh and TC Williams High School has some concrete banks out front that I've heard about recently, you may need to bring a sign or something unless you want to ollie a curb into a bank...and Robinson HS has a long-ish 7 stair, 5stairs out front, and a 3 stair that you can use as like a mannypad to 3 stair line deal. whatever, I'm rambling. basically, there's shit to skate but it can be hard to find sometimes.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:34:41 AM »
kind of last minute, but anyone know of any decent bars out there? i will be in georgetown area tonight, and im assuming there are plenty, but suggestions would be appreciated.

• Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »

Shaw:

Mt. Rainier:

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
there's a fun park in silver spring, north of dc, can't remember what street it's off of, it was an old skate spot and they built a nice park there, if you just cruise downhill from there you run into some nice stuff...

Matthew Moon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »
Anyone know where this spot is in DC?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
pretty sure thats a north carolina spot, i could be wrong though.. ive never seen it im my neck of the woods

Matthew Moon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »
Ok, thanks!

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
That Mt. Rainer Park looks sick!

Samuel Gorgompus

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:31:40 AM »
That Mt. Rainer Park looks sick!

It's pretty small but really fun to skate if it's not too packed. There's a skatepark that opened up in Laurel pretty recently that's probably one of the best parks in Maryland. It's free to skate and you don't need to wear a helmet.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:33:36 AM by Handsome Squidward »

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »
That park looks great too, NJ has no good parks, its some bullshit.

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
the space dish is in NC. i am stationed in norfolk, va. the concrete park out here is sick (northside skatepark)

Matthew Moon

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
What city in NC?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 06:14:09 AM »
I am going back to DC near the end of the calendar year with the wife. staying at the mandarin.  looking to get in a weekday skate park morning or two.   I was there in 2012 and skated this really fun DIY underneath a bridge

is that still standing?  does anyone have the pin for it?
are there any new parks?
its probably going to be during commuter hours and ill be alone so not really trying to get hassled or ticketed at archives or pulaski.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Switchpopshuvit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »
I am going back to DC near the end of the calendar year with the wife. staying at the mandarin.  looking to get in a weekday skate park morning or two.   I was there in 2012 and skated this really fun DIY underneath a bridge

are there any new parks?
its probably going to be during commuter hours and ill be alone so not really trying to get hassled or ticketed at archives or pulaski.
Park police isn't anything like they used to be. If they roll through, you'll just be told to leave and you go back later, skate archives in the meantime.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 06:45:22 AM »
can i have a relaxing skate at those at 9/10 am on a weekday around Christmas time?  when i went there ebfore everyone was acting like they were risking their life to sneak in a noseslide and bounce. 

Switchpopshuvit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
can i have a relaxing skate at those at 9/10 am on a weekday around Christmas time?  when i went there ebfore everyone was acting like they were risking their life to sneak in a noseslide and bounce.
Forsure, you'll probably have the spot to yourself as well or only a couple heads.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Forsure, you'll probably have the spot to yourself as well or only a couple heads.

Unless you're waking up in the city, you might have a terrible drive in. Did deliveries in the city for a while, if I wasn't in city limits before 7am I had a terrible day, I wouldn't get in until after 9 and everything went to shit.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Unless you're waking up in the city, you might have a terrible drive in. Did deliveries in the city for a while, if I wasn't in city limits before 7am I had a terrible day, I wouldn't get in until after 9 and everything went to shit.

im staying like a block from the Jefferson memorial on one side the spy museum on the other.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

im staying like a block from the Jefferson memorial on one side the spy museum on the other.

Christmas time will be fortunate from a lack of bust POV.

Jefferson Memorial isn't close to any famous spots. Basically you cannot go wrong from 14th street and Pennsylvania all the way to the capital.

On the west side of 14th is a plaza that has a pretty famous manny pad and long mellow ledge.

Across the street is Freedom/Pulaski which speaks for itself.

going further down Pennsylvania on the north side of the street (left facing the capital) there are about 4-5 famous spots you can't miss. a lot of icy ledges and aesthetically pleasing plaza's and monuments. The skate from freedom towards the capital is actually really dope, super smooth bricks with a dope sounds. it's fun just cruising.

Welfare banks are on the other side of the mall (south side) by the american musuem of natural history/botanical gardens practically before you get to capital hill on independence ave.

The Japanese War memorial is somewhat close to union station and has that long granite ledge on the outside of the plaza. It's hard not finding granite in DC.

i'm pretty sure a lot of spots are still kind of a bust, so you need to be aware of park police and keep moving. i wouldn't stay longer than 20 mins at spots that aren't pulaski and you can sort of wager the level of bust by how many people skating. you sort of just have to walk away if park police is spotted and keep your cool.

DC has so many spots, but the concentration of famous ones are probably within a mile adjacent to Pennsylvania Avenue.

Gold Rail is at Metro center right up from Freedom, it's knobbed but cool to look at, especially at night. it's pretty much the most beautiful rail setting on earth imo.

you'll also go by candian embassay and marvel at the 21 stair.

good luck! 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »

are there any new parks?

Sounds like your talking about bridge spot but that’s gone now.
There’s a few parks in the city you can skate or take the metro to, but I’ve never been hassled at archives.
Bust factor for each spot depends on the day and the time pretty much.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
Welfare banks are on the other side of the mall (south side) by

googled these this morning.  dear heavens.  these are amazing looking.  whats the bust factor on those? can i get in a full solo sesh on that?

based on what you are telling me how does the run sound
bottom of 14th  head north push and hit some places up until i get to franklin square.  hook a right and and another right and come back down 12th and 13th street stopping at archives and return to my hotel?

There’s a few parks in the city you can skate or take the metro to, but I’ve never been hassled at archives.

whats the best park close to the metro?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Welfare banks are on the other side of the mall (south side) by

[close]

googled these this morning.  dear heavens.  these are amazing looking.  whats the bust factor on those? can i get in a full solo sesh on that?

based on what you are telling me how does the run sound
bottom of 14th  head north push and hit some places up until i get to franklin square.  hook a right and and another right and come back down 12th and 13th street stopping at archives and return to my hotel?

Expand Quote

[close]

whats the best park close to the metro?

Welfare has a huge bust factor, last time I was there I got one try, sometimes I’ll get 30 mins. There’s stuff to skate around the entire block though

Maloof is off the stadium armory stop and it’s my favorite dc area park.
Shaw is skating distance from a stop on the green line if I recall.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »
Expand Quote

are there any new parks?
[close]

. I miss bridge spot. Went in 2011 at like 10 pm and we ended up smoking weed with some random kids lurking . I Ollied straight over the make shift manny pad and that was super fun. Fun spot . I miss living in DC hence the slap name haha.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are there any new parks?
[close]

[close]
. I miss bridge spot. Went in 2011 at like 10 pm and we ended up smoking weed with some random kids lurking . I Ollied straight over the make shift manny pad and that was super fun. Fun spot . I miss living in DC hence the slap name haha.

I always assumed DCLOVE was just an era you were stoked on like the josh and Stevie days.
I would no joke drive from MD to skate bridge spot on rainy days. To this day I’ve probably skated dc more than Baltimore and I’m only 20 mins from downtown Baltimore

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are there any new parks?
[close]

[close]
[close]

I always assumed DCLOVE was just an era you were stoked on like the josh and Stevie days.
I would no joke drive from MD to skate bridge spot on rainy days. To this day I’ve probably skated dc more than Baltimore and I’m only 20 mins from downtown Baltimore

I cut my teeth skating Baltimore, downtown and all around the beltway. I hate it, I hate the spots, I hate the public transit. I wish I could have skated DC more often. We often went north to Philly as this was during the Philly craze.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

are there any new parks?
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I cut my teeth skating Baltimore, downtown and all around the beltway. I hate it, I hate the spots, I hate the public transit. I wish I could have skated DC more often. We often went north to Philly as this was during the Philly craze.

I went to philly basically as soon as I could drive. Took the light rail to downtown Baltimore before that.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »
if you're into transition stuff -

green bowl is a dope DIY bowl with chunky coping - 2913 20th St NE

there's a wooden bowl behind union market. hop the fence, or you can shimmy on the gallaudet side. 

meridian hill park (also called malcom x) has a bunch of cascading fountains that are empty during the winter. very fun, low key spot to warm up at. was in that recent FA video where they were in DC. if you see park police book it before they hassle you.

if you're feeling hesh, school pool is an abandoned high school with a really crazy pool just over the border from DC. also in that FA video. it's a pretty scary place to go alone, so bring some friends or be prepared to go it alone. I forgot the address, I'll see if it I can dig it up. It's pretty well known, asking some local heads should get you the location.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »

meridian hill park (also called malcom x) has a bunch of cascading fountains that are empty during the winter. very fun, low key spot to warm up at. was in that recent FA video where they were in DC. if you see park police book it before they hassle you.

when you say hassle -- stern talking to you or sit down and get a ticket?  can i get away with an apology wave and walk or do i really have to fucking run?  because this spot looks dreamy