Author Topic: tips for getting gnarly  (Read 4556 times)

Keirabug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: tips for getting gnarly
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
commit and try to land things first try or within a couple tries. chances are if you can't land your trick or stick it within 10 tries you shouldn't be trying it anyways. also if you're scared you'll be more likely to eat shit.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
commit and try to land things first try or within a couple tries. chances are if you can't land your trick or stick it within 10 tries you shouldn't be trying it anyways. also if you're scared you'll be more likely to eat shit.
happens to me way to much

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

get gnarly

• Rep: 9
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
Just read my user name before you go skating.

But being serious, I find punching myself in the head works wonders and so does screaming CUNT. Also try not to over think anything(which is hard to do when learning to do this type of shit). Confidence helps the most out of anything though.

clamy

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
Think to yourself 'stop being a pussy', eat healthy and find someone else to get buck with.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
when you get to the spot think WWHKD.....What Would Heath Kirchart Do, you'll be flyin down shit instantly

macaroni

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
loosen your trucks, go fast, pop big and smoke weed. youll be gnarly then and then skating stairs becomes optional

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:01 AM »
you gotta be able to have that switch in your head, to end all second guessing.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
Take one of these every morning

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »

tigerbahn- i always use this when my muscles hurt... right now its doing fuck all

If you always use it, how do you not know it's name.

Isaiah Kemp

• Rep: 7
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
M?tley Cr?e.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »
wear a cape.
You loves you? Megatron.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »

But being serious, I find punching myself in the head works wonders and so does screaming CUNT. Also try not to over think anything(which is hard to do when learning to do this type of shit). Confidence helps the most out of anything though.

Seriously?
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

everypennyfedcar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • Getting paid like a biker with the best crank.
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
He's probably 12.
Spray it like a high-rank sniper in the West Bank.

Hannity

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
do: speedball caffeine and alcohol, get in a really stupid argument with your significant other (or dad) beforehand, listen to hardcore, get a slam or two in

don't: smoke weed, jerk yourself off
truth

go get pissed off and channel it into jumping down shit

slogant-shirt

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
when you get to the spot think WWHKD.....What Would Heath Kirchart Do, you'll be flyin down shit instantly
this is defiantly my favorite post so far. it might not work so well but the sentiment is kick ass

loosen your trucks, go fast, pop big and smoke weed. youll be gnarly then and then skating stairs becomes optional
this is the worst. i all ready do these things and they don't go well together

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
Someone already said music, and I agree

Load up your ipod with stuff that gets you amped and go at it brah

get critical
ableSkateMag.com

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
Instead of waiting for your friends to offer you money, you offer your friends money if you don't try it, stick it or land it (whichever point in the trick trying process you are). And don't offer $1, offer something that is actually painful - like 10 or 20. And if you blow it, go double or nothing. Then it will really suck if you don't man up! This works for me usually.

This!

get gnarly

• Rep: 9
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seriously?

Yup. Releasing my frustrations concentrates me. And I'm not 12.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure this was a topic a couple months back, but...

Andrew Reynolds would, eat fruit.

or follow the advice of the Illusion.  Keep 4 wheels down and ride another day.  Or something like that.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

YoungWilliam309

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
gap skating is mostly psychological. if you can pop a high ollie, or a clean flip trick at a high speed on flatground consistently, you can take it down anything with that amount of speed. you just have to focus on the trick & not look down at the gap. if your not looking at your flip the same way you look at it while doing it flatground, you usually wont land. people get nervouson shit and might barely look at the stairs to see if theyll clear it or whatever. you need that confidence in the trick your doing to not worry about your speed, & to know youll clear the gap if you pop it correctly. once you pop you treat it like a flatground trick, LOOKING ONLY AT THE FLIP OF THE BOARD.

also posture is important too, make a conscious effort to SQUAT before you pop and to keep your back straight and dont bend over. it sounds obvious but people make it a habit to barely bend their knees and hunch their back. it throws your balance off. the same with landing, make sure your anticipate landing the trick & bend your knees to absorb the impact.

smoking weed & skating is fun as fuck to me. as long as your not too high, and you really feel like skating, youll fucking shred.

fuck everyone elses advice. listen to this^, that shit about dont try it if you aint stickin within 7-8 tries, that shit about puttin money on it, and listenin to music. also make sure your well stretched beforehand.

yall niggas gon get someone killed out here. either that or your sarcastic responses arent funny.

and yes im mad now.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »
I cant believe people are seriously giving tips on "getting gnarly."  You can either do gnarly shit, or you cant.  Skate within your abilities because you arnt fooling no body.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »
I cant believe people are seriously giving tips on "getting gnarly."  You can either do gnarly shit, or you cant.  Skate within your abilities because you arnt fooling no body.

I don't know, I don't think it is such a crazy topic to discuss. Plenty of gnarly skaters have limited technical abilities (and I know there are exceptions, no need to point them out) so obviously you don't have to have other-worldly abilities to do bigger stuff. The mind can certainly be trained to do new things and we all have our own methods of pushing ourselves. Additionally, this information is all relative to each person. I am guessing lots of people have different types of spots in mind when they talk about this and some are gnarlier than others... but judging by your comment I am guessing you are pretty fucking gnarly.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:37:12 AM by happenstance »

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 12:53:17 AM »
Go faster, pop higher.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 01:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I cant believe people are seriously giving tips on "getting gnarly."  You can either do gnarly shit, or you cant.  Skate within your abilities because you arnt fooling no body.
[close]

I don't know, I don't think it is such a crazy topic to discuss. Plenty of gnarly skaters have limited technical abilities (and I know there are exceptions, no need to point them out) so obviously you don't have to have other-worldly abilities to do bigger stuff. The mind can certainly be trained to do new things and we all have our own methods of pushing ourselves. Additionally, this information is all relative to each person. I am guessing lots of people have different types of spots in mind when they talk about this and some are gnarlier than others... but judging by your comment I am guessing you are pretty fucking gnarly.

hahha great closer

im probably lying

MOYL

• Rep: 0
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »

Molusk One

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
Chester Cheeto is fucking 22, not 24. The fuck?

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hahha great closer

Fair enough.  But its clear when someone is trying a trick they arn't good enough to land, especially flip tricks down gaps.  Skipping steps and striving to get gnarly will only get you hurt.