Author Topic: P Rod on AT&T?  (Read 8655 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
Re: P Rod on AT&T?
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If you are a professional skateboarder:
Skateboarding becomes your job?  No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes?  Shit, I did that today, I must be a professional skateboarder.   
The more sponsors the better?  Really?  Like all of them?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
A sticker on your board is considered product placement?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
P-Rod has nothing to do with you?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.

Wow, your reply was insightful.  Keep up good work. 
Oh, one more thing I learned from your post, I'm not people.
[close]

i doubt you got paid for it homie. all im sayin is that "selling out" isnt as bad as people make it seem. who wouldnt want to be rich just for skating all the time?

also,  im tired of you niggas always tryna come up with these lame ass sarcastic comebacks. sit the fuck down!

[close]

I didn't get paid for it. I did put a sticker on my board, skated, and wore free clothes. 

I'm not coming up, I don't have a chair to sit down in right now. 

If your post wasn't so dumb, there would be no need for sarcastic replies.

If you had just said selling out isn't as bad as people make it seem, I'd have just said 'fair enough'.
[close]

My face halfway through this post when I realized that you were trying to compare yourself to P-Rod:

[close]

Uh, no.

"all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes?  Shit, I did that today, I must be a professional skateboarder. "

People give a shit about P-Rod. Nobody gives a shit about you.

barr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Seems like folks have lost track of what "selling out" actually means.

It used to mean that you'd have to change what you were doing in order to cash in. Like, a band would "sell out" to get on a major label by taking their edgy, progressive music and watering it down to make it radio-friendly.

To sell out there has to be some indication that you've compromised your integrity or vision in order to fit into the corporate plan and get those dollars.

I don't see any sign that Prod has "watered down" his skating in order to be more corporate-friendly. I actually think his natural personality is pretty corporate friendly, and that his ideals are pretty much in line with the average corporate mentality, so I doubt very much he's doing anything he doesn't believe in by joining up with them.

[close]
this.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
He's gonna build up his bank account, then one day in the future boom, done, renounces the Church of Nike, Plan B kicks him off, stops drinking mountain dew shopping at target etc etc. then. starts filming whisper black and white videos in his exclusive warehouse while holding games of skate sponsored by people that won't put him in the ads...

Skate Edge

• Rep: -36
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
Notice in that video that he's only skating like 15% of the park.  What's that all about?  You got a mini ramp - skate it!

It's like when his foundation helped pay for the new park in Lincoln Park in LA, and they did a demo which consisted of them totally ignoring the snake run and only doing the stairs and ledges.  I'm the exact opposite at that park.

Anyhow, this dude makes more than probably 90-95% of the population, without the AT&T sponsorship, so he's certainly milking his fame for everything it's worth. 

thugnificent

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
he probably does skate the mini rap, but nobody wants to see anyone skate a mini ramp, so he doesnt film it. makes perfect sense

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »
I agree with that one guy being disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest.  I always felt like he could do more, but I guess that's not what he has been going after all this time.  Dude ain't killing himself to advance skateboarding.  He's doing everything in his power to line his pockets.  To be honest, he's doing a great job at exploiting skateboarding to his whim.  All skateboarders are not wired the same way.

FiftyScent

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
I agree with that one guy being disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest.  I always felt like he could do more, but I guess that's not what he has been going after all this time.  Dude ain't killing himself to advance skateboarding.  He's doing everything in his power to line his pockets. To be honest, he's doing a great job at exploiting skateboarding to his whim.  All skateboarders are not wired the same way.

that is fucking regular. how yall gon' say shit like "he could do more, hes not living up to his potential, blah blah blah" when HE FUCKING RIPS. he skates every day, always gets a ton of footage wherever he goes, and at the same time is super humble with a naturally marketable image. how can you be "disappointed" in someone like that? or say that he "isnt trying his hardest". so i guess switch tre flipping the santa monica triple set isnt advancing skateboarding? what about his switch hardflip down hollywood high 12? or the switch back noseblunt on that one school rail? nollie back 180 front foot flip down stairs? nollie noseslide, nollie front flip out? treflip crooks & switch treflip noseslides IN LINES? yall niggas are fucking delirious. just REACHING to hate on someone. if paul was still on girl & es with no "corporate sponsors" all yall would be on his dick right now

if ANY of you guys were talented enough to have huge corporate sponsors youd take them in an instant, stop bullshitin like your above having that type of sponsor. most of us work lame ass 9-5's ONLY TO GET PAID right? well these "sell-outs" get these corporate sponsors JUST TO GET PAID except they have a much more enjoyable job and make 10x as much money for it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
Expand Quote
I agree with that one guy being disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest.  I always felt like he could do more, but I guess that's not what he has been going after all this time.  Dude ain't killing himself to advance skateboarding.  He's doing everything in his power to line his pockets. To be honest, he's doing a great job at exploiting skateboarding to his whim.  All skateboarders are not wired the same way.
[close]

that is fucking regular. how yall gon' say shit like "he could do more, hes not living up to his potential, blah blah blah" when HE FUCKING RIPS. he skates every day, always gets a ton of footage wherever he goes, and at the same time is super humble with a naturally marketable image. how can you be "disappointed" in someone like that? or say that he "isnt trying his hardest". so i guess switch tre flipping the santa monica triple set isnt advancing skateboarding? what about his switch hardflip down hollywood high 12? or the switch back noseblunt on that one school rail? nollie back 180 front foot flip down stairs? nollie noseslide, nollie front flip out? treflip crooks & switch treflip noseslides IN LINES? yall niggas are fucking delirious. just REACHING to hate on someone. if paul was still on girl & es with no "corporate sponsors" all yall would be on his dick right now

if ANY of you guys were talented enough to have huge corporate sponsors youd take them in an instant, stop bullshitin like your above having that type of sponsor. most of us work lame ass 9-5's ONLY TO GET PAID right? well these "sell-outs" get these corporate sponsors JUST TO GET PAID except they have a much more enjoyable job and make 10x as much money for it.

The major complaint that you're looking over is that skateboarding isn't just his to exploit. It's open to anyone. And yes, he's a skate rat and is absurdly talented, but you don't see anything possibly wrong with getting sponsored by Target and AT&T?  I mean, at least Nike makes shoes and you need shoes to skate in. You don't see how the mentality of "It's more money/another paycheck." can harm something like skateboarding, where the focus has turned to you should love skateboarding and that should be your priority? Like, do you have no problem with kids that start skating just because they see it as a way to make a lot of money if they're talented and endorse the right people, regardless of whether or not they really enjoy doing it/they stick with it after they don't enjoy it any more just to keep making money? You don't see how these things could possibly be interrelated?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
i dig his skate plaza located in pacioma. he also gave me a complete and a paid of es's when street cinema came out..no matter who sponsors him, i can't hate on this dude.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

FiftyScent

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I agree with that one guy being disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest.� I always felt like he could do more, but I guess that's not what he has been going after all this time.� Dude ain't killing himself to advance skateboarding.� He's doing everything in his power to line his pockets.�To be honest, he's doing a great job at exploiting skateboarding to his whim.� All skateboarders are not wired the same way.
[close]

[close]

The major complaint that you're looking over is that skateboarding isn't just his to exploit. It's open to anyone. And yes, he's a skate rat and is absurdly talented, but you don't see anything possibly wrong with getting sponsored by Target and AT&T?� I mean, at least Nike makes shoes and you need shoes to skate in. You don't see how the mentality of "It's more money/another paycheck." can harm something like skateboarding, where the focus has turned to you should love skateboarding and that should be your priority? Like, do you have no problem with kids that start skating just because they see it as a way to make a lot of money if they're talented and endorse the right people, regardless of whether or not they really enjoy doing it/they stick with it after they don't enjoy it any more just to keep making money? You don't see how these things could possibly be interrelated?

if kids wanna start skating because of money or whatever then thats them. theyll be lame posers until they get in high school & drift away from it. the kids who end up becoming REAL skaters will still remain. im tired of "oh such & such is bad for skateboarding" there are MILLIONS of people skateboarding around the world. its not like how it used to be, its a huge international thing now & its only gonna get bigger so of course corporations and things like that are going to dabble into it. you cant stop shit like that, thats just how the world is. now you can either bitch about it and act like skateboardings dying or you can see the positive things about it & ignore the negatives. the way i look at it, the more "mainstream" skateboarding gets, the easier it will be for cities to make skateparks and shit like that. of course theirs gonna be posers & lames but like i said, there are millions of people skateboarding, theres gonna be a few of those in there anyway. there were posers & kids like that before, you just see it more now because the sport as a whole has gotten bigger.

i dont care WHO OR WHAT tries to join skateboarding as long as they go about it the right way & respect the sport. take the maloofs for example, did they host the MMC for profit? of course they did! however they got the right people to design, run & compete in them while also donating the parks to the city afterwards so i can respect that. they show love towards skateboarders & skateboarding itself, even if they dont skate themselves.

i see nothing wrong with sponsors like target & at&t. at the end of the day thats all they are. somebodys sponsors. another thing that pisses me off is the gaterade hate. its a fucking drink, and if youre skating all day & getting dehydrated that same fucking gaterade is gonna quench your thirst. im actually stoked that they hopped on the bandwagon lol, ive always been drinkin gaterade. but seriously, if these companies wanna make guys like p-rod rich, then so be it. youd be stupid not to if you had the offer. do you think hes gotta get footage for the target video? lol, hell naw. its an easy sponsorship that prolly pays twice as much as a board sponsor. like i said, hes got a wife and kids, why wouldnt he make as much money as possible to support them. that shit comes BEFORE skateboarding. so if you have that opportunity your gonna take it

at the end of the day if you really love skateboarding, its never gonna change. all this shit going on in the "industry" doesnt have a single thing to do with me skateboarding in the streets. period. id rather support a local shop but if the apocalypse comes and theres no local shops, ill cop a board from zumiez and STILL be skating the same way i always have. if every shoe company except the nikes, dc's, and adidas's are around, ill wear those and STILL be skateboarding. hell nike & adidas make better shoes than most companies anyway so thats a plus.

Global Moderator

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
It's good to be the king...

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
^^
FUCK, all for free!!!!!!

Truly one of the best sponsors you can have.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I agree with that one guy being disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest.� I always felt like he could do more, but I guess that's not what he has been going after all this time.� Dude ain't killing himself to advance skateboarding.� He's doing everything in his power to line his pockets.�To be honest, he's doing a great job at exploiting skateboarding to his whim.� All skateboarders are not wired the same way.
[close]

[close]

The major complaint that you're looking over is that skateboarding isn't just his to exploit. It's open to anyone. And yes, he's a skate rat and is absurdly talented, but you don't see anything possibly wrong with getting sponsored by Target and AT&T?� I mean, at least Nike makes shoes and you need shoes to skate in. You don't see how the mentality of "It's more money/another paycheck." can harm something like skateboarding, where the focus has turned to you should love skateboarding and that should be your priority? Like, do you have no problem with kids that start skating just because they see it as a way to make a lot of money if they're talented and endorse the right people, regardless of whether or not they really enjoy doing it/they stick with it after they don't enjoy it any more just to keep making money? You don't see how these things could possibly be interrelated?
[close]

if kids wanna start skating because of money or whatever then thats them. theyll be lame posers until they get in high school & drift away from it. the kids who end up becoming REAL skaters will still remain. im tired of "oh such & such is bad for skateboarding" there are MILLIONS of people skateboarding around the world. its not like how it used to be, its a huge international thing now & its only gonna get bigger so of course corporations and things like that are going to dabble into it. you cant stop shit like that, thats just how the world is. now you can either bitch about it and act like skateboardings dying or you can see the positive things about it & ignore the negatives. the way i look at it, the more "mainstream" skateboarding gets, the easier it will be for cities to make skateparks and shit like that. of course theirs gonna be posers & lames but like i said, there are millions of people skateboarding, theres gonna be a few of those in there anyway. there were posers & kids like that before, you just see it more now because the sport as a whole has gotten bigger.

i dont care WHO OR WHAT tries to join skateboarding as long as they go about it the right way & respect the sport. take the maloofs for example, did they host the MMC for profit? of course they did! however they got the right people to design, run & compete in them while also donating the parks to the city afterwards so i can respect that. they show love towards skateboarders & skateboarding itself, even if they dont skate themselves.

i see nothing wrong with sponsors like target & at&t. at the end of the day thats all they are. somebodys sponsors. another thing that pisses me off is the gaterade hate. its a fucking drink, and if youre skating all day & getting dehydrated that same fucking gaterade is gonna quench your thirst. im actually stoked that they hopped on the bandwagon lol, ive always been drinkin gaterade. but seriously, if these companies wanna make guys like p-rod rich, then so be it. youd be stupid not to if you had the offer. do you think hes gotta get footage for the target video? lol, hell naw. its an easy sponsorship that prolly pays twice as much as a board sponsor. like i said, hes got a wife and kids, why wouldnt he make as much money as possible to support them. that shit comes BEFORE skateboarding. so if you have that opportunity your gonna take it

at the end of the day if you really love skateboarding, its never gonna change. all this shit going on in the "industry" doesnt have a single thing to do with me skateboarding in the streets. period. id rather support a local shop but if the apocalypse comes and theres no local shops, ill cop a board from zumiez and STILL be skating the same way i always have. if every shoe company except the nikes, dc's, and adidas's are around, ill wear those and STILL be skateboarding. hell nike & adidas make better shoes than most companies anyway so thats a plus.

Although I agree with you that these people entering into skateboarding doesn't affect me going out and skating in the streets nor the enjoyment I get from skating, I don't agree with all of your comments. But ultimately, it doesn't matter. And I'd like to think that if I didn't have a family to provide for and I was making enough to live off of, I would turn down a Target sponsorship, but (un)fortunately, I'll never know that for sure.

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
^^
FUCK, all for free!!!!!!

Truly one of the best sponsors you can have.

seriously end thread.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
Holy Shit, I wish I could do shit like that.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
I stand by my words.  As amazing as Shane O'Neill is, when PRod was younger, that is how I thought he would change skateboarding.  I felt he had that kind of potential.  Instead, I'd see him land what seemed to be pretty much stock tricks for him down a slightly larger stairset/gap or down a slightly bigger rail with his clean (or robotic depending on who you ask) style in lieu of another video part.  Yeah, he's really consistent and talented.  I get that.  I never felt he was doing anything really close to mindblowing until his most recent part.  By then, even those tricks are overshadowed by some of the tricks guys like Felipe Gustavo or Shane O'Neill have done.  To be honest, his late flip stuff looked downright kooky compared to Felipe's nollie flip to whatever handrail antics.  I guess I just like to see dudes looking like they are going all out using every bit of talent they can muster to make something happen.  I got won over by Torey Pudwill from his Big Bang part because of that.

ShpotaSb

• Rep: -28
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
How can you be disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest when he droped a mind blowing part just a year ago.
That last 2 min was full of NBD tricks. No one did nollie front foot flip in to and out of grinds, and then he drops the plan b part and then you see Sewa doing them, Cerezini doing them, Grant Patterson with his pro debut add, that Adam Simoni kid, all the kids are trying to learn them now. Hell even if you scratch all the lateflips, there are still some insane tech tricks.  He puts so much work just for the commercials alone like swich tre santa monica, varial heel nosegrind nollie heel out, fs heel down barcenlona 6 blocks.
Saying he didnt progressed from his in bloom part is just regular.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:21:12 PM by ShpotaSb »

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
you know why p-rod never took it to the next level (fuck that was gay typing that) was WEED.

Shithappenswhenyournaked

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
How can you be disappointed by PRod not using his skills to the fullest when he droped a mind blowing part just a year ago.
That last 2 min was full of NVB tricks. No one did nollie front foot flip in to and out of grinds, and then he drops the plan b part and then you see Sewa doing them, Cerezini doing them, Grant Patterson with his pro debut add, that Adam Simoni kid, all the kids are trying to learn them now. Hell even if you scratch all the lateflips, there are still some insane tech tricks.  He puts so much work just for the commercials alone like swich tre santa monica, varial heel nosegrind nollie heel out, fs heel down barcenlona 6 blocks.

0:36

And correct me if I?m wrong but didnt Willy Santos do it in Feasters a long long time ago?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:37 AM »

BlackEye77

• Rep: -94
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 06:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
wow. that target ramp is kinda blowing my mind right now. this dude has his business down pat. he already sold out he might as well sell out all the way.
[close]

hes got it sorted, cant blame the guy. if i was a pro and loads of bullshit companies wanted to give me free stuff and money...i wouldnt turn that shit down just to be core

It's his career so he can do what he wants. If I was in that position I would look at it differently. More like I have enough money to be comfortable, why get into bed with kooks? Fuck, I'd take free money and phones from AT&T but I'm also struggling to support a family, he doesn't *need* that shit. Again though, it's his career and he's milking it. I remember when he was on my shops B Team (groms) before he got on 118 and he'd show up to practice with his long ponytail and skate better than us guys on the main shop team. He's always had something special as a skateboarder so gotta give him that, whether I would make the same business decisions or not is irrelevant. Fuck, maybe AT&T will dump some millions into skateboarding and the rest of us will see some kind of return, be it parks, events, whatever. More likely though the only thing they will do for skaters is trick them into buying their sub- par data plans.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
That type of shit is a cycle though. You have to understand that these dudes don't have a checking account with 5 mil in it. Look at it this way - Paul starts winning contests and making some coin. Ok, but he can't spend the time balancing the checkbook...so he hires a "CFO" of sorts to manage his money. His trust is in THAT particular guy, so he has to pay a salary now. More often than not, you'll have to hire another source to audit your accounts and your financial guy to make sure they aren't stealing from you (ala Sheckler's CFO that was stealing from him). That's more money you need to make in order to pay the people who manage your money.

I'm not saying the dude doesn't get by...but there's different stresses opened up for every extra digit on your net worth. You can never have too much money as a young father (I'm not so I'm just going off my friends that have kids).

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Expand Quote
That last 2 min was full of NVB tricks. No one did nollie front foot flip in to and out of grinds, and then he drops the plan b part and then you see Sewa doing them, Cerezini doing them, Grant Patterson with his pro debut add, that Adam Simoni kid, all the kids are trying to learn them now. Hell even if you scratch all the lateflips, there are still some insane tech tricks.  He puts so much work just for the commercials alone like swich tre santa monica, varial heel nosegrind nollie heel out, fs heel down barcenlona 6 blocks.
[close]

And correct me if I?m wrong but didnt Willy Santos do it in Feasters a long long time ago?

What the fuck? I posted a long response to ShpotaSb and it's not up anymore.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
oyolar, can we get the cliff notes version?

blake guzman

• Rep: -14
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
That type of shit is a cycle though. You have to understand that these dudes don't have a checking account with 5 mil in it. Look at it this way - Paul starts winning contests and making some coin. Ok, but he can't spend the time balancing the checkbook...so he hires a "CFO" of sorts to manage his money. His trust is in THAT particular guy, so he has to pay a salary now. More often than not, you'll have to hire another source to audit your accounts and your financial guy to make sure they aren't stealing from you (ala Sheckler's CFO that was stealing from him). That's more money you need to make in order to pay the people who manage your money.

I'm not saying the dude doesn't get by...but there's different stresses opened up for every extra digit on your net worth. You can never have too much money as a young father (I'm not so I'm just going off my friends that have kids).
This is all true. And what it means is this: P-Rod made a mistake by courting major corporate sponsors. If he had stuck to regular skateboard companies, he would have made more than enough to retire with. Once he signed with Target, Haliburton and whatever else, I'm sure it put him in a place where he needs the cadre of accountants and managers. It seems like a big price to pay, particularly when you think of how it will impact his legacy as a skateboarder. In the future, he will probably be known as one of a handful of skateboarders who helped big corporations get a foothold in the industry.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
P.Rod = the 1%

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
I'm down with P-Rod.  If you've read any of his interviews from when he started to blow up and make power moves, he's said one thing and one thing only:  "I don't want to work for a living after retiring from skateboarding".   I admire his determination and ability to accomplish that goal.  The more he makes, the higher the bar is raised for every other pro.  No one wants to pay for that shit. 

The 'core-est' pro I can only imagine turning down this deal would be. the "Master of Disaster" Duane Peters!!!!!!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »

I'll try:
Willy Santos-Late flips/nollie front foot flips out of (and in to I think) grinds.
Grant Patterson was doing nollie front foot flips and variations years before P. Rod.
PJ Ladd-halfcab noseslide front foot flip out in WHL.
Cory Kennedy-one of his go to tricks in his first Battle At The Berrics tournament (I never saw P. Rod do one until after the BATB that he and Cory were both in. Coincidence?).
P. Rod really didn't do too much new with them, but I still like how his front foot actually flicks them when a lot of people's look like they pop it and then tap the board.

I think that was everything.

ShpotaSb

• Rep: -28
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll try:
Willy Santos-Late flips/nollie front foot flips out of (and in to I think) grinds.
Grant Patterson was doing nollie front foot flips and variations years before P. Rod.
PJ Ladd-halfcab noseslide front foot flip out in WHL.
Cory Kennedy-one of his go to tricks in his first Battle At The Berrics tournament (I never saw P. Rod do one until after the BATB that he and Cory were both in. Coincidence?).
P. Rod really didn't do too much new with them, but I still like how his front foot actually flicks them when a lot of people's look like they pop it and then tap the board.

I think that was everything.
I forgot about Willy Santos, I only watched his old parts once.
Grant Patterson didnt do late flips in to and out of grinds, he did it down gaps and with 180 varitions in What if. After the Prod part,  he did nollie nose grind late flip out on his pro debut add on the same spot prod did sw taill late flip out in his part. Same with Cerezini and Sewa with the new blind video. Obviously they got the idea for those tricks from Prod part, which is not a bad thing, but doesnt change the fact Prod started the whole trend.
PJ Ladd didnt land that one unfortunatly.
Prod did nollie late flips back in 2001 in his street cinema part, also he won es game of skate against koston back in 2003 with nollie late flip. Cory had nothing to do with it.
He did tons of new stuff with them, how can you fail to see that. Like you said he is the first to actually flick the board instead of kicking it down. First to land down some big set of stairs (12 stairs), did several of NBD tech grinds with them and he managed to pull of awesome line down belmont 9 with nollie 180 late flip.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01:20 AM »
Admittedly, I only watched that part a few times so maybe I am missing things, but the only stuff that stood out to me was the b/s 180 nollie front foot flip (which was awesome) and the nollie front foot flip crook. Am I missing any variations.

And just because PJ Ladd didn't land that trick doesn't mean that he didn't try it years before P.Rod started doing late flips.