Author Topic: USA Stereotypes?  (Read 47195 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: USA Stereotypes?
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
Expand Quote
it's so funny how people get butt hurt because people from the US don't know shit about their country while they know things about the US. everyone knows about the US for obvious reasons, that doesn't mean that people in the US should know about every other country. that is your own vanity at problem, not a US vanity problem because you are assuming that your country is more important and historically significant than it actually is while on the US side it's not an exaguration, it's just what it is.
[close]
Actually we dont give a fuck but dont get butt hurt when we call you narrow-minded and therefore stupid because of that. No one forces you to have basic knowledge of geography and history. However no one forces me to respect an ignorant guy just because he is from an elite country either.

Evidently you do give a fuck if you're calling people narrow-minded and ignorant because they don't know where Malta, Corsica, or Belarus are. I've talked to Europeans before and they've had to ask whether or not it was feasible to visit a friend in Washington state or Oregon when they wanted to travel to New York for a week and I didn't think they were narrow-minded or idiotic because they didn't know that they were on opposite sides of the U.S.

I think this is probably the best response in this thread. People are posting about stereotypes, as in, massive generalizations about a group that often have a very tenuous basis so your reaction to someone posting stereotypes about Europeans is to try and refute them all? That makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:38:11 PM by oyolar »

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
fat, dumb, arrogant, over-patriotic, crazy religious, uncultured.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

PFIASB.

• Formerly elmo
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't understand why they give us such a hard time about us not knowing exactly where their countries are, i bet they cant name the states surrounding Colorado
[close]
You're not helping.
Also, that's not really comparable. These are states within a country. That would be like someone from the UK saying "I bet you can't name the counties bordering West Midlands".
[close]
i understand what you're saying but are you really comparing our states to UK counties?

just saying. im going to stop now
[close]
Dude, are you fucking serious?! I honestly can't tell if you trying to stir shit up or are genuinely that stupid.
Texas is big therefor the world should know where it is within the USA? Nunavat is fucking huge, does that make it important? Queensland is pretty fucking big too. Can you find that?

Again, NOT HELPING.
[close]

not helping what? he's making a perfectly valid point. the whole notion that americans should have geographical knowledge of the many countries of europe is somehow assuming that europe is something that it isn't. while the idea that most people would know about texas is assuming something that most certainly is. america is a world leader and texas is a leader in the us. and it's not just about politics and power. has anyone not heard the phrase "houston we have a problem"? have you ever noticed when you go to a web-site, even abroad United States isn't listed alphabetically, it's at the top. there's a real reason for that.

i'm not saying that everyone should kiss every americans ass because of this but to somehow act like everyone in the world has some kind of intellectual responsibility to be a master of world geography is just a silly and extremely transparent form of being insecure in your national pride. some places, everyone knows about and they know about them for a reasons. other places not so many poeple are aware of.

everyone is going to know some things about germany but not everyone will know about austria. that's not a finding a personal flaw in the person who doesn't know, that's just confirmation that germany has done more significant things on the world stage.

you want to tell me about brunei? theres a reason no one knows anything about it, it's never done anything interesting or significant and theres nothing wrong with that.

and countries in europe are like states in the us. with the euro and EU europe is just catching onto something that was obvious to us 200 years ago. we can get a whole lot more done with one big country than a bunch of small ones. that's clearly the direction you are heading and for a good reason. and that direction backs the idea that your countries are like our states to outsiders. the US to outsiders is california, new york and texas. eupore to outsiders is france, england and germany. so what...

thank you

people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »
Loud... Every person from the states I've met talks really loud... (but I'm a quiet talker so maybe that's why)

other than that the same assholes and stupid people that People stereotypically think are in America are everywhere

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
not helping what? he's making a perfectly valid point.
Not helping, as in not helping with the arrogant/ self important stereotypes, and no he does not make a valid point. Don't be daft.

Anyway, let us back track a little because you seem to be a bit confused.
Common US stereotype: American's are terrible at geography (i.e. can't find France on the map). PFISAB says, so what's the big deal I bet you can't name the states that surround Colorado. In America's short 235 year history Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona have enough importance on the world stage to be easily identified on a map much in the same way one should be able to identify France on a map? I don't think so. Collectively they don't have enough importance to be identified on a US map an American citizen. Really Americans should be able to do so, I'm just saying I wouldn't fault them if they couldn't.

This of course is absurd, so I made my analogy with England's West Midlands, and then PFISAB counters with "I'm just saying (...Texas is pretty big)". Now ignoring the fact he now talking about an entirely different state, and that yes Texas is probably one of the most easily identifiable states, he is essentially saying it is big therefore important. Texas is a single state in a union, and although significant to US and North American history, it did not play a role in shaping the world we live in today as again let's say France.

So what does this have to do with what you wrote? I actually agree with some of what you wrote. I also don't particularly care about American's perceived lack of geographic skills, because I've seen first hand much worse here in Japan. This, much like a lot of the stereotypes written here, are NOT unique to Americans. I feel we get a pretty bum rap. However when someone writes shit like PFISAB did, they are perpetuating these negative stereotypes. So my point, which is "shut the fuck up, you're not helping", stands.

And since you asked, just off the top of my head: Brunei is located on the island Borneo, shares a border with Malaysia (and Indonesia?), is a Sultanate, and predominantly Muslim. That's all I know and could actually be completely wrong as I quite often mix up countries that start with a "B".

Perro Mojado

• Rep: 21
    • flickr avatar image
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
keg stands
ditsy blond girls
fred durst is cool

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
fred durst is cool
Where did that one come from?!

Perro Mojado

• Rep: 21
    • flickr avatar image
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
fred durst is cool
[close]
Where did that one come from?!

idk i was born in south america so when i first listened to limp biskit my whole life got turned upside down

Rig Aarfrig

• Rep: -2
  • They see me trollin, they hatin!
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
80% of amuricans right hur

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
If Fred Durst was ever cool, it was for no more than 6 months-1 year tops, 12 years ago when that rap-metal bullshit took off.

I really hope that stereotype doesn't catch on.

shrimpwhitewine

• Rep: 20
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »

you ain't even tryin, boy.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »

Categorizing an entire nation with a broad generalization based on fuck all- 90% of Europeans right there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:12:12 PM by Jive Turkey »

FART BOY

• Rep: 10
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
 The whole stereotyping thing is just straight out stupid in its own sense. Some people in the US might not know where's what on a map, and then some do. Just to say as if some British people have bad teeth, and then some don't. That flies everywhere.. it's funny seeing people get so upset over stuff like this, not saying on here. But in person and what not. IMO Media and culture icons add to this and just make it worse, and what i'm talking about is the ones who take it serious. Reading the ones above do make me laugh though, classic shit.

PFIASB.

• Formerly elmo
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
not helping what? he's making a perfectly valid point.
[close]
Not helping, as in not helping with the arrogant/ self important stereotypes, and no he does not make a valid point. Don't be daft.

Anyway, let us back track a little because you seem to be a bit confused.
Common US stereotype: American's are terrible at geography (i.e. can't find France on the map). PFISAB says, so what's the big deal I bet you can't name the states that surround Colorado. In America's short 235 year history Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona have enough importance on the world stage to be easily identified on a map much in the same way one should be able to identify France on a map? I don't think so. Collectively they don't have enough importance to be identified on a US map an American citizen. Really Americans should be able to do so, I'm just saying I wouldn't fault them if they couldn't.

This of course is absurd, so I made my analogy with England's West Midlands, and then PFISAB counters with "I'm just saying (...Texas is pretty big)". Now ignoring the fact he now talking about an entirely different state, and that yes Texas is probably one of the most easily identifiable states, he is essentially saying it is big therefore important. Texas is a single state in a union, and although significant to US and North American history, it did not play a role in shaping the world we live in today as again let's say France.

So what does this have to do with what you wrote? I actually agree with some of what you wrote. I also don't particularly care about American's perceived lack of geographic skills, because I've seen first hand much worse here in Japan. This, much like a lot of the stereotypes written here, are NOT unique to Americans. I feel we get a pretty bum rap. However when someone writes shit like PFISAB did, they are perpetuating these negative stereotypes. So my point, which is "shut the fuck up, you're not helping", stands.

And since you asked, just off the top of my head: Brunei is located on the island Borneo, shares a border with Malaysia (and Indonesia?), is a Sultanate, and predominantly Muslim. That's all I know and could actually be completely wrong as I quite often mix up countries that start with a "B".

::)

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
All you need to know about Brunei is that the Sultan's brother Jefri built a super yacht and called it 'Tits'.

I know shit like that because I'm European.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:47:25 PM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
Witty retort. I couldn't possibly argue with that.

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2011, 03:59:22 AM »
All you need to know about Brunei is that the Sultan's brother Jefri built a super yacht and called it 'Tits'.

We have a winner!

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
it's so funny how people get butt hurt because people from the US don't know shit about their country while they know things about the US. everyone knows about the US for obvious reasons, that doesn't mean that people in the US should know about every other country. that is your own vanity at problem, not a US vanity problem because you are assuming that your country is more important and historically significant than it actually is while on the US side it's not an exaguration, it's just what it is.
[close]
Actually we dont give a fuck but dont get butt hurt when we call you narrow-minded and therefore stupid because of that. No one forces you to have basic knowledge of geography and history. However no one forces me to respect an ignorant guy just because he is from an elite country either.

[close]

Evidently you do give a fuck if you're calling people narrow-minded and ignorant because they don't know where Malta, Corsica, or Belarus are. I've talked to Europeans before and they've had to ask whether or not it was feasible to visit a friend in Washington state or Oregon when they wanted to travel to New York for a week and I didn't think they were narrow-minded or idiotic because they didn't know that they were on opposite sides of the U.S.
You didnt get my point. I dont care if you dont know where Belarus is but you know all about the US and you are proud about it. I care that most people in my country and your country are stupid and they affect me indirectly with their choices. Well the only difference with other countries is that US is a world leader and what Americans do affects me as much as actions of my fellow compatriots. However times have changed :) and my country affects world economies too, i am from Greece and people here are shitty too so dont hope for something better in near future. However after crisis struck us more and more people became interested in socioeconomic stuff so i got a hope about the future.

Lack of knowledge of basic history and subsequently geography(you should know where the events happened to understand them better) most of the times indicates ignorant people unable to form a well rounded opinion especially in politics. So when this affects me i do care but its not about nationality Pride and stupid shit its about the concern on the level of intelligence of human kind as whole which is the key factor of making the world a better place.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
  • tiger style
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2011, 04:34:58 AM »

that's pretty sick

still can't fuck with the headhunters who still have skulls decorating their homes

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2011, 04:49:05 AM »
 Another good Stereotype that i have tested is that when Americans hear about communism they shit their pants.

One time during the very first riots  concerning debt crisis , that where broadcasted worldwidely, i was at a friends house. We were dead tired from the demonstrations there so we sat at his room and we had the idea of tryin chattroulette. I had the idea of waving a communist flag we had stolen earlier to every American we stumbled upon just to test the reactions. Needles to say i had a mohawk at the time. The results were hilarious every single American was closing connection after we started waving the flag and a few minutes later we were banned.

Get your head straight read some book and make your own conclusions about what communism is. Dont let others brainwash you..                                                           

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2011, 05:07:27 AM »
This thread was a great idea

FiftyScent

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »

S.E.

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2011, 12:53:06 PM »
On a serious note, i'm not one for stereotypes, but i know 3 british people and every single one of them has TERRIBLE teeth. 
Also, whats up with Europeans wearing those creepy capri cargo pant/shorts things?

PFIASB.

• Formerly elmo
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Witty retort. I couldn't possibly argue with that.
i meant to quote this

Categorizing an entire nation with a broad generalization based on fuck all- 90% of Europeans right there.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
i meant to quote this

Expand Quote
[close]
Smart ass comment retracted. Sorry.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
I'm an American, this is how you describe alot of us: Arrogant assholes who think the USA is the best at everything and think the US is the only republic in the whole fukkin world

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

cancelled

« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
I'm an American, this is how you describe alot of us: Arrogant assholes who think the USA is the best at everything and think the US is the only republic in the whole fukkin world

not far from the truth my yankee brotha..

Joe Pesci

« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
john cardiel is american.... 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
^^Right back to America inventing cool. On a side note, younger Spanish women live those Aladdin pants that make it look like they pooped their pants. That's just a fact.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
america didnt invent cool...black people people invented cool

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL