Author Topic: the slap pals tumblr project  (Read 20131 times)

VictoriousOG

Re: the slap pals tumblr project
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
So when is this going to start? Let's aim for April 1st to give everyone about 2 weeks to get material together and in the mean time someone that is computer savvy come up with a tumblr layout that is appealing for everyone. I can definitely share this on my blog to get some views going.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
Nobody has said LA yet? I'll do LA! I might move back to SF soon,  but while I'm here I'm so down for this. After that, fongstarr, fight to the death for SF rights?
I'm super down for this, it sounds like a lot of fun
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
Also, what is the first project/theme?
Public art, places that scare you, nature spots, different foods (tacos, pizza, etc.)
Does tumblr only do photos though?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
I agree that one person should start the tumblr account. Lets get this rolling. Who has a little free time on their hands out there that wants to run this? What should the name of the account be? I am sure someone has something witty out there.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
now i remember
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
And as to the first topic, why don't we just say that we have to pick one of the ideas thrown out there already on the previous page so this isn't an endless cycle of possible topics. How about the first 2 posters to respond pick 5 topics, then each poster that responds deletes one possibility until we have reached the final 3 and then choose some way to vote on those?

Not trying to be authoritarian here, just want to get some decisions made.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 04:05:22 AM »
I guess we should probably start figuring out how everyone's going to access it, and what kind of layout/posting schedule we want. It would get pretty hectic, I imagine, if all of us are going to be accessing one tumblr account -- we might have to designate someone to run the thing and just do e-mail submissions or something.

I agree that one person should start the tumblr account. Lets get this rolling. Who has a little free time on their hands out there that wants to run this? What should the name of the account be? I am sure someone has something witty out there.

good idea! I'll create an email adress and a tumblr account on the weekend. somebody has a good name for the tumblr? maybe the "3 from somewhere" or something like this. The name thing should be decided within the next 2 days. Suggestions welcome!

I'll suggest a design (there is a good amount floating around the internet) and we can discuss about it. would be nice if somebody creates a banner/graphic!

So when is this going to start? Let's aim for April 1st to give everyone about 2 weeks to get material together and in the mean time someone that is computer savvy come up with a tumblr layout that is appealing for everyone. I can definitely share this on my blog to get some views going.

let's get the deadline for end of april. there are a couple of guys around here who have jobs and shot on film. this takes a little longer. we can make a deadline for choosing the first 5 topics. let's just say this Sunday. then everybody can start shooting his 15 pictures (3x5).

And as to the first topic, why don't we just say that we have to pick one of the ideas thrown out there already on the previous page so this isn't an endless cycle of possible topics. How about the first 2 posters to respond pick 5 topics, then each poster that responds deletes one possibility until we have reached the final 3 and then choose some way to vote on those?

Not trying to be authoritarian here, just want to get some decisions made.

The last part sounds good to me! I’ll put every topic together and the next person deletes one of these suggestions.

and these are all suggested topics we have right now

3 broken windows,3 dead cars,3 faces,3 flags,3 security cameras,3 ganja buds,3 record collections,3 photos of people you live with. Any combination. one each of 3 people, 2 of one and one of the other. photo of your cat. or even self-portrait if you live solo,3 oldest spots in your city,3 most badass people you know,3 rad transportation(bikes/cars/whatever) ,3 water
3 Reflections,3 homemade meals,3 tattoos,3 pets,3 things that up/down,3 new friends you've made,3 new creations (graffiti/art etc...),3 "interesting" people (goths, scene, hipsters)
3 interesting things you see everyday,3 drunk people,3 night shots with flash,3 shots of something famous/landmark from an unusual angle/perspective,3 things that break the rules,3 primary colours,3 toilets from places you go,3 tourist pics,3 shots of tourists,3 subway stations,3 night shots,3 police men,3 friends,3 skatespots,3 trees,3 dead animals,3 boats,3 chinese restaurants,3 old/high/famous/regular/abandoned/grey/boring houses
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:10:53 AM by Matze »

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
The last part sounds good to me! I?ll put every topic together and the next person deletes one of these suggestions.

and these are all suggested topics we have right now

3 broken windows,3 dead cars,3 faces,3 flags,3 security cameras,3 ganja buds,3 record collections,3 photos of people you live with. Any combination. one each of 3 people, 2 of one and one of the other. photo of your cat. or even self-portrait if you live solo,3 oldest spots in your city,3 most badass people you know,3 rad transportation(bikes/cars/whatever) ,3 water
3 Reflections,3 homemade meals,3 tattoos,3 pets,3 things that up/down,3 new friends you've made,3 new creations (graffiti/art etc...),3 "interesting" people (goths, scene, hipsters)
3 interesting things you see everyday,3 drunk people,3 night shots with flash,3 shots of something famous/landmark from an unusual angle/perspective,3 things that break the rules,3 primary colours,3 toilets from places you go,3 tourist pics,3 shots of tourists,3 subway stations,3 night shots,3 police men,3 friends,3 skatespots,3 trees,3 dead animals,3 boats,3 chinese restaurants,3 old/high/famous/regular/abandoned/grey/boring houses

I think we should strikeout what we wouldn't want to work on first, then for the next one, pick it at random. How often will our posts come out? Bi-monthly, monthly?
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »

If you get a Trendy Bastard endorsement, you're gonna get a shit ton of followers.

Gip--No, tumblr doesn't only do photos. You can do videos, songs, text posts, etc.

As for the name, why not something like "slappalsproject.tumblr.com?" Or "slappalsportfolio.tumblr.com?"

I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute to this, but another idea would be to have a large group of core photographers submitting things, and then open the blog to photo submissions by followers. Then post these submissions ONLY during the appropriate topic and require all submissions to be given with an active SLAP Forum name and give credit to that name when you post them on the blog. That way, other posters who run their own tumblrs (such as myself, Trendy Bastard, escapistfool, etc.) could still contribute while spreading their stuff between 2 blogs. (Also, I don't have a fancy artistic camera, only a normal digital one. So this will let me give you guys any of the rare good shots I take.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:35:28 PM by oyolar »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe everyone should cross out more than 1 topic because this could take some time. Sorry on the tattoo one guys - I don't have any.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »

No subways in Portland. I don't have a cat, or a flash, and the weed one seems kinda lame to me.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No subways in Portland. I don't have a cat, or a flash, and the weed one seems kinda lame to me.
Crossing out the ones that were already crossed out. We need to quote the newest list!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
And in honor of Slap, what if we called the tumblr, or whatever we end up using, Silly Little Art Project.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 interesting things you see everyday,3 drunk people,3 night shots with flash,3 shots of something famous/landmark from an unusual angle/perspective,3 things that break the rules,3 primary colours,3 toilets from places you go,3 tourist pics,3 shots of tourists,3 subway stations,3 night shots,3 police men,3 friends,3 skatespots,3 trees,3 dead animals,3 boats,3 chinese restaurants,3 old/high/famous/regular/abandoned/grey/boring houses, 3 local douchebags

[close]

[close]
Crossing out the ones that were already crossed out. We need to quote the newest list!
I live alone so 3 people I live with is impossible for me, and I would be willing to bet there are others in this who live in arrangements with less than 4 cohabitants.
random question, 3 of the subject, or 3 pictures of the subject? I just shot a photo of two cops giving two people in wheelchairs tickets. Is that one cop or two?
I added as a suggestion 3 local douchebags. I remember a conversation where somebody brought up the fact that every local douchebag is different and has a different style and name. You got jersey guidos, OC Bros, rednecks, hillybillies, yuppies, club douches, frat boys (for those in college), etc. I figure 3 from each region/city would be pretty amazing. Won't be offended if it gets x-d though.
On a side note, I took the photo with my shitty and old cell phone, so its probably not submission worthy unfortunately.
And in honor of Slap, what if we called the tumblr, or whatever we end up using, Silly Little Art Project.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:19:27 PM by Ronald Wilson Reagan »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

3 Reflections,3 homemade meals
,3 tattoos,3 pets,3 things that up/down,3 new friends you've made,3 new creations (graffiti/art etc...),3 "interesting" people (goths, scene, hipsters)

[close]

[close]
[close]
I live alone so 3 people I live with is impossible for me, and I would be willing to bet there are others in this who live in arrangements with less than 4 cohabitants.
random question, 3 of the subject, or 3 pictures of the subject? I just shot a photo of two cops giving two people in wheelchairs tickets. Is that one cop or two?
On a side note, I took the photo with my shitty and old cell phone, so its probably not submission worthy unfortunately.
Expand Quote
[close]
I am down with Silly Little Art Project. And I also think a photo from a cell phone is ok if the content is of that calibre. Shit, any photo I submit will be with a pocket digi, as will other people's photos I am guessing.

And I crossed off a few more.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
Shit, I modified and added one. I guess its struck out by process. Next time perhaps.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
I'll contribute to this. Do I actually need Slap Pal status to be in?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

,3 tattoos,3 pets,3 things that up/down,3 new friends you've made,3 new creations (graffiti/art etc...),3 "interesting" people (goths, scene, hipsters)

[close]

[close]
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I am down with Silly Little Art Project. And I also think a photo from a cell phone is ok if the content is of that calibre. Shit, any photo I submit will be with a pocket digi, as will other people's photos I am guessing.

And I crossed off a few more.

crossed off two,

also are we all going to have access or will it all go through one poster who keeps controll over the tumblr so it doesnt get too hectic?

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
seems like a great idea. could lead to some very interesting pics! down for the netherlands if 8mp cellphone pics are allright

hamburglar

• Rep: 14
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 06:06:02 AM »
down for austin tx.. if this isnt exclusionary to non pals.

vihreekerma

• Rep: 21
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
 :-* this is to you all.

I mailed matthias about some of the problems.

I'll keep you informed!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
People get tripped up on the slap pals thing. It almost always refers to regular posters on the board and used to refer to readers of the magazine. the 1000 post thing is meaningless.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
just created a first version for the tumblr and an email email address. whoever finds the url (besides vihreekerma) gets 3 gnars in a row.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
People get tripped up on the slap pals thing. It almost always refers to regular posters on the board and used to refer to readers of the magazine. the 1000 post thing is meaningless.

Psh. Says a non-pal. Am I right guys?!

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
I thought this was cool and somewhat related:

http://www.booooooom.com/2012/03/09/fresh-letter-project/

Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
I guess this the wrong tumbir, but i like this one as well.
http://salamander-slap.tumblr.com/

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
I guess this the wrong tumbir, but i like this one as well.
http://salamander-slap.tumblr.com/
Awww yeah!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 04:54:31 AM »
first of all:

http://sillylitteartproject.tumblr.com/ this is just a test anyway. I thought this was fitting pretty good because you have 3 pictures next to each other. maybe some graphic dude can make a good looking banner for that.  

we'll post the email address when right before we start posting, which means you have to send the pictures via email and one of us (vihreekerma and me) will make a post. this makes most sense to me. I hope you guys are cool about it.

and then I have some great news. like really, really great. the persons behind http://www.localartclub.de/ think that the idea is cool enough for an exhibition. this means there is a chance to have a group exhibition here in hamburg and maybe pay a little money for prints and rent - maybe 5-10 bucks each ... this could be really amazing ... imagine having 2 or 3 shows at the same time in different countries. but first of all, we should figure out the 5 topics and start shooting asap.