Author Topic: John Fitzgerald Off Zero  (Read 135727 times)

baconeggandcheese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: John Fitzgerald Off Zero
« Reply #480 on: May 24, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Holy shit those are some good tricks.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #481 on: May 24, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
figgy already did frontboard on that rail, and i could imagine it looked way better than this ogre

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #482 on: May 25, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
never really got into him up until now. that clip was so sick! huge fan!

few123456789

« Reply #483 on: May 25, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
For some reason I dig the style where you land everything like you barely made it.  Sick clip.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
For some reason I dig the style where you land everything like you barely made it.  Sick clip.
me too. I think its because it makes shit look more dangerous. A dude falling asleep doing something gnarly doesn't seem that impressive, because it doesn't make you feel like something sketchy is happening. When a dude nearly dies its like "Oh shit....."
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
the truth why john left zero is because he didnt like the direction jamie was putting the company in. he didnt like josiah and kyle federick on the team and it wasn't "zero" anymore.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2012, 10:03:55 PM »
It hasn't been zero since they cut Wade Burkitt and Aaron Harrison. My cynical suspicion was he had a year on zero because of the contest, then the contract ran up and they dropped him. Judging from that video though, I doubt it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

frank the tank

• Rep: -1
« Reply #487 on: May 26, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
hes on alien workshop now thats why he put out that video of all the footage he was going to use for the zero video

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
It hasn't been zero since they cut Wade Burkitt and Aaron Harrison. My cynical suspicion was he had a year on zero because of the contest, then the contract ran up and they dropped him. Judging from that video though, I doubt it.

i've had mixed feelings about zero for a long time now. they still have a super rad team and all, but i just don't feel as if it's as appealing as it was in the misled youth days. given that i didn't even skate and was probably in the sixth grade, i just get a good nostalgic vibe when i watch the older zero videos whereas the newer ones don't even cross my mind when i think of the brand.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #489 on: May 26, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
the truth why john left zero is because he didnt like the direction jamie was putting the company in. he didnt like josiah and kyle federick on the team and it wasn't "zero" anymore.

I highly doubt this, first of all Kyle is on Mystery not Zero. As for Josiah...well that is a disappointment but he looks to be dressing and skating the part, it'll surely be less of a transition than Cole made.

Gipper is right Zero hasn't been Zero in years. I wouldn't necessarily say it was that early but I can see where he is coming from. For me ever since Chris Cole became a more of a contest skater who dresses in Monster gear from head to toe and he is supposed to be the face of Zero is when they stopped being what they once were, but it did start earlier I suppose. John knew where Zero was going, he just got a better opportunity on a what he saw as a sicker brand and took it I'm sure.

Honestly I think Jamie made a mistake letting Chris own a piece of Zero, he should've just let him leave and start his own brand, which would've failed most likely, or Chris would've foreseen that and stayed with Zero because it's what gave him his identity and the fame that followed, just being a talented skateborder doesn't mean much, and there have been many examples of that fact. I personally think Fallen gained back a lot of 'core' street credit after Cole left, and even though it may take some time and possibly another video to really show the true effect I do believe it's there.

People talk shit on Chief a bunch and I can even see where their criticism comes from but the fact is the guy brilliant, and no doubt is still one of the hardest working dudes in skateboarding. I don't know what's happened over the past few years, the whole Cole thing going down, it makes me feel like he felt vulnerable in some way because the direction of Zero and Mystery just haven't been as clear as they once were. In fact I feel like the direction of Mystery has always been sort of well...as mystery hahaha. I still think of them as important brand within the industry, and whether they're my favorites or not is irrelevant. I suppose I will always have a soft spot for Zero and Jamie Thomas just because of the influence they've had on skateboarding and on me.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:34:55 PM by TMKF »

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #490 on: May 26, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've had mixed feelings about zero for a long time now. they still have a super rad team and all, but i just don't feel as if it's as appealing as it was in the misled youth days. given that i didn't even skate and was probably in the sixth grade, i just get a good nostalgic vibe when i watch the older zero videos whereas the newer ones don't even cross my mind when i think of the brand.

That's a great way to put it, actually. I never really thought about that, but it's true.

Swishersweetswag

• Rep: -2
« Reply #491 on: May 26, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
It's way true. Their team just got too huge. But little Jamie, Tommy guns and Dane burman skate like men and put out crazy shit. I'd like zero alot more if they stopped making shitty boards with gay art.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #492 on: May 26, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »
I have to say I disagree with most of what you said, TMKF. I honestly think Zero's team is the best and most diverse it's ever been right now. And not like a disjointed diverse. Everyone is gnarly in their own way. Though losing John puts a damper on it.

As far as giving Cole a piece of Black Box, I think it was great idea. Cole is his own entity in skateboarding and could've gone anywhere or started anything, and a stake in Black Box keeps him loyal.

But with a team that huge, money is probably spread thin, which might be why they've lost John, Murphy, Eldridge, and Steamer over the past couple years.

From what I heard, John left on his own. Not sure why. But with him dropping that bonkers footage for his shop sponsor, it makes me a little nervous that he doesn't have a board sponsor lined up. Shame because he's a beast.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: May 26, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I highly doubt this, first of all Kyle is on Mystery not Zero. As for Josiah...well that is a disappointment but he looks to be dressing and skating the part, it'll surely be less of a transition than Cole made.

Gipper is right Zero hasn't been Zero in years. I wouldn't necessarily say it was that early but I can see where he is coming from. For me ever since Chris Cole became a more of a contest skater who dresses in Monster gear from head to toe and he is supposed to be the face of Zero is when they stopped being what they once were, but it did start earlier I suppose. John knew where Zero was going, he just got a better opportunity on a what he saw as a sicker brand and took it I'm sure.

Honestly I think Jamie made a mistake letting Chris own a piece of Zero, he should've just let him leave and start his own brand, which would've failed most likely, or Chris would've foreseen that and stayed with Zero because it's what gave him his identity and the fame that followed, just being a talented skateborder doesn't mean much, and there have been many examples of that fact. I personally think Fallen gained back a lot of 'core' street credit after Cole left, and even though it may take some time and possibly another video to really show the true effect I do believe it's there.

People talk shit on Chief a bunch and I can even see where their criticism comes from but the fact is the guy brilliant, and no doubt is still one of the hardest working dudes in skateboarding. I don't know what's happened over the past few years, the whole Cole thing going down, it makes me feel like he felt vulnerable in some way because the direction of Zero and Mystery just haven't been as clear as they once were. In fact I feel like the direction of Mystery has always been sort of well...as mystery hahaha. I still think of them as important brand within the industry, and whether they're my favorites or not is irrelevant. I suppose I will always have a soft spot for Zero and Jamie Thomas just because of the influence they've had on skateboarding and on me.

Trust me that is the reason he left zero, ive been told this by someone who rides for zero.
He simply didnt like the direction the company was going, told jamie he was grateful for what he had given him and dipped.

And he has no confirmed board sponsor yet, he isn't on alien
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:56:51 PM by White Owl »

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #494 on: May 27, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »
this thread has gon to hell and back an 17 pages later the original topic is finally given some answers. SLAP is amazing

JoeyBear

• Rep: -9
« Reply #495 on: May 27, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
Figgy didn't land that front board
WWW.THEDENVERSHOP.COM

BraveUlysses

« Reply #496 on: May 27, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
this thread has gon to hell and back an 17 pages later the original topic is finally given some answers. SLAP is amazing
Strangely my interest in this thread was at its peak when it was about Nicki Minaj.

RonBalone

• Rep: -21
« Reply #497 on: May 27, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
that smith grind was awesomely dipped. fs blunt at dolores is still fucking crazy.

Yes, that smith was god damn insane.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #498 on: May 27, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
too bad OIAM didnt get picked up by a tv station and become a hit.slap coulda made $$$, and started up a skate team with forrest and john fitzgerald  and other OIAM alumni.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #499 on: May 28, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
If fitzgerald gets on workshop everything jason dill said in that am article for pisopo is a load of shit and dill basically becomes a chump to me once again.

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
If fitzgerald gets on workshop everything jason dill said in that am article for pisopo is a load of shit and dill basically becomes a chump to me once again.

What did he say?

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »
That nobody gets on workshop, we have rules about who getslooked at, yada yada yada.  Its out of the new transworld am issue.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »
That nobody gets on workshop, we have rules about who getslooked at, yada yada yada.  Its out of the new transworld am issue.

Maybe all Pros and Ams are stoked on Fitzgerald ?  Pretty sure Piscopo isnt calling the shots at AWS

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2012, 02:14:33 AM »
Just replace the Piscopo kid with John. Everyone wins

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2012, 02:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
That nobody gets on workshop, we have rules about who getslooked at, yada yada yada.  Its out of the new transworld am issue.
[close]

Maybe all Pros and Ams are stoked on Fitzgerald ?  Pretty sure Piscopo isnt calling the shots at AWS

dills the one who said it not piscopo. if fitzgerald can get on then anyone can get on. you just have to be average at skating and know how to clean out dills asshole with your mouth. piscopo had the potential to be one the best so i get why hes on but i just dont see that with fitzgerald.

also his comment about workshop changing riders and not the otherway around is utter bullshit. workshop goes through generations where one or two riders basically captain the ship. it was blenders workshop for memory screen then dyrdeks for timecode then kalis' for photosynthesis and then kirchart's for mind field. now its dill and AVEs turn to captain the ship and basically mold it to what they want. he can deny that but it is true.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:06:58 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2012, 02:55:53 AM »
Actually its a shame. Dudes like John rip hard and guys like Shane Heyl turn pro. I love Shane as much as the next dude but their skateing is not comparable at all, John is just on another level!

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -148
« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2012, 03:07:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That nobody gets on workshop, we have rules about who getslooked at, yada yada yada.  Its out of the new transworld am issue.
[close]

Maybe all Pros and Ams are stoked on Fitzgerald ?  Pretty sure Piscopo isnt calling the shots at AWS
[close]

dills the one who said it not piscopo. if fitzgerald can get on then anyone can get on. you just have to be average at skating and know how to clean out dills asshole with your mouth. piscopo had the potential to be one the best so i get why hes on but i just dont see that with fitzgerald.

did you see the new video of John that was posted on the last page? he's pretty far from average.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »
all youre showing me is that he has a great future ahead of him as a pro on think or expedition-one. "average" isnt the right word. thats a little negative. his style is up to date. nothing more nothing less. hes like stevie perez but towards a power style instead of a tech style.

and i dont like what zero has become.  it should strictly be a gnarly rail and gap company. its such a diluted entity in skateboarding these days. they shouldve let chris cole join plan b or whatever and marketed the shit out of tommy sandoval instead. hes a better arbiter of what the brand was about. he does insane tricks on rails and gaps and doesnt look like a kook doing em.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:57:28 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

JABRONI

• Rep: 43
« Reply #508 on: May 28, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
put him on Deluxe!
Ah, greetings, greetings, and salutations. I beg your forgiveness. My tardiness was unavoidable. Rava, my love. Elaine, my dear friend.. And you must be Jerry. Lord of the manor. Ah, my liege. A pleasure to serve you.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #509 on: May 28, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
Ghost , u got a quote on the Piscopo / Dill thing ?  what Im getting now from what you are saying is , Dill said nobody is ever getting on Workshop again . Like a team lock down