Author Topic: Shit that doesn't make sense about skating  (Read 6622 times)

ChronicBluntSlider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Shit that doesn't make sense about skating
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
Like the english language a lot of shit in skating just doesn't make sense. You can teach somebody the general rules (doing something rolling backwards is called fakie, i before e except after c) but there are always exceptions, and to truly understand the jargon you have to learn the exceptions yourself. Apologies if this was ABP, but I couldn't find it.

What the fuck does it mean to rotate backside? The most obvious explanation is when doing a 180, is your backside facing forward, or is your frontside. Well then why isn't a frontside half cab called backside and vice versa? Or it could be a matter of rotating clockwise/ counterclockwise. For a regular skater a bs 180, nollie bs 180, and half cab(bs) are all clockwise, but ss bs 180 is counter clockwise.

Why are frontside overcrooks on rails called nosegrinds, but backside over crooks are called over crooks. Probably because a frontside overcrooks is easier than a nosegrind on most rails, but isn't the same true backside, I'd like to see somebody bs nosegrind a huge round rail.

How come fakie switch 5-0 is a fakie nosegrind, but fakie switch crooks is a fakie switch crooks? Does fakie bs tail grind not sound good?

I assume its because no one person named all this stuff, but I think its interesting. Any other shit that doesn't make sense in skating?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Shit that doesn't make sense about skating
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
Nothing about skateboarding makes sense. It shouldn't be possible, but it is. Maybe someday theoretical physicists will be able to explain it, but I think they'll have an easier time harnassing fission.

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:31:52 AM »
Nothing about skateboarding makes sense. It shouldn't be possible, but it is. Maybe someday theoretical physicists will be able to explain it, but I think they'll have an easier time harnassing fission.

more or less this,  theres a bit of wood with some wheels,   and using nothing but feet we make that bit of wood fly about in specific ways, and all that crazy jazz. chromeos 'fancy footwork' could only have been created to describe skating.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
i stopped reading your pamphlet after the first two sentences, but from what i could spot it seems to be the annual "fakie nollie" debate.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
Easy explanation for front and back side. Think of it like you are riding a bowl or ramp, front side is when you turn with your front facing the coping, back side is when you turn and you back is facing the coping. Not that hard of a concept to understand!

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
Easy explanation for front and back side. Think of it like you are riding a bowl or ramp, front side is when you turn with your front facing the coping, back side is when you turn and you back is facing the coping. Not that hard of a concept to understand!

mind = blown

FrenchFuck

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
If you're not American or OG no one gives a shit.

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
The trick most of you would call a bigflip fs boardslide, is actually a varialflip fs boardslide. If not, then you would have to call a kickflip fs boardslide a "bsflip fs boardslide".

Same goes for what most skaters refer to as a fs bigspin bs boardslide. It's a fs pop bs boardslide. If you want to call it a fs bigspin boardslide, you would have to call a regular boardslide "fs 180 bs boardslide".

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »
What the fuck does it mean to rotate backside? The most obvious explanation is when doing a 180, is your backside facing forward, or is your frontside. Well then why isn't a frontside half cab called backside and vice versa? Or it could be a matter of rotating clockwise/ counterclockwise. For a regular skater a bs 180, nollie bs 180, and half cab(bs) are all clockwise, but ss bs 180 is counter clockwise.
I think of like this; regular, switch, and nollie all follow the rule you said, but for fakie tricks you think of it as regular going backwards, rather than switch off the nose. Confusing for beginners, but I think it makes sense with how the trick feels. If you went backwards and did what normally feels like a backside flip, calling it fakie frontside flip seems pretty dumb.

Why are frontside overcrooks on rails called nosegrinds, but backside over crooks are called over crooks. Probably because a frontside overcrooks is easier than a nosegrind on most rails, but isn't the same true backside, I'd like to see somebody bs nosegrind a huge round rail.
me too. The distinction is because nobody does a 'straight' front nosegrind on a rail, its always overcrooked. Why this isnt the case for backside I don't know, that legitimately doesn't make sense to me.

How come fakie switch 5-0 is a fakie nosegrind, but fakie switch crooks is a fakie switch crooks? Does fakie bs tail grind not sound good?
That sounds terrible.
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

At UC Berkeley there are classes taught by students (undergrad or grad) called DeCals. There was actually a physics of skateboarding DeCal for a few years.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »

Frontside half cab your back is facing coping. The ramp adds nothing to the scenario I laid out.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
As far the fakie ollie switch crooks/fakie nosegrind issue, I think it's more a matter of how it feels/when you do it. When you do a fakie nosegrind, your balance is all on your nose and it doesn't really feel like a switch 5-0. And for a fakie ollie switch crooks, it definitely points like a switch crook. Hopefully that makes sense.

But I have to agree that every other issue mentioned in this thread also drives me insane.

ilikebitches

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »

TheNAC

• Rep: -26
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
I think that's why it's called fakie... It fakes regular, so everything is the same, but moving in the opposite direction, that's why it's fakie nosegrind instead of switch 5-0. But what I never understood is, if nollie follows the correct backside/frontside rule, why isn't a nollie tre flip a nollie 360 hardflip? Do shoves not count for that or what?

Pike St

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
Arguing about what a trick is called is the lamest shit ever, and you're not suppose to jump stances mid trick, like fakie oliie switch whatever.

Think about it if you just started skating and can ollie and fakie ollie, but can't do anything switch. So you're gonna claim you can switch front crook when you fakie ollied into it and can't even switch ollie? Think about doing that as a stall on transition. It's a fakie ollie. Damn I guess people feel embarrassed by doing fakie 5-0s or fakie front crooks, it's gotta be fakie ollie switch front crook. Sounds fucking stupid, but to the OP it is interesting it shows how language evolves, very much so in any language and not just the english language. So skateboarding trick names are evolving to incorporate multiple stances in trick names. Crazy.

Big EVOL

• Rep: -1
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
I think that's why it's called fakie... It fakes regular, so everything is the same, but moving in the opposite direction, that's why it's fakie nosegrind instead of switch 5-0. But what I never understood is, if nollie follows the correct backside/frontside rule, why isn't a nollie tre flip a nollie 360 hardflip? Do shoves not count for that or what?
Probably becauwhen you ride switch you're going the same direction as regular and the motions of a switch/nollie tre are the same. In other words if you're motions are the same it would be named based on what trick it is going regular.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
That's kind've a skating double negative. Basically, switch + fakie = rolling forward.

DevMo!

• Rep: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At UC Berkeley there are classes taught by students (undergrad or grad) called DeCals. There was actually a physics of skateboarding DeCal for a few years.

Do they no longer offer that corse? One of my homies said he was taking that class next semester. Really interested in hearing about it.

LazyEinstein

• Rep: -138
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
I am the greatest dead physicist who posts on SLAP. Once I stop being so Lazy I guarantee I was solve this most important problem facing Skateboarding!
because canadian skaters have no personality and the only people who will buy the boards are there friends and mom

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Frontside half cab your back is facing coping. The ramp adds nothing to the scenario I laid out.

You are turning in what would be a frontside motion.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
There are loads of things that dont make sense.
Just to take the topic down another path......
How does the boss get better with age?
How does dennis have more control going super fast?
Why cant dixon get his act together and put out clips?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2535
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do they no longer offer that corse? One of my homies said he was taking that class next semester. Really interested in hearing about it.
Maybe they do. I figured it would be done by now because the kid who did it probably graduated. I finished in December 2010 so I am out of the loop.

Fairy Boy

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »

Why are all young prodigies carcass tossers?
Why does Nyjah cry while his friends bang the same girl?
Why is it weird if an older man hits on a teenager, but not weird if Carrol gives those same girls breasts a vicious beard rub?
Why did Danny Way kill a man for being gay?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
Read this and next time use the search function, dumbass.

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=42816.msg1144206#msg1144206

sorry, but I'm glad some people are taking this in different directions.

Why is a kickflip easier regular and a heelflip easier switch?

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
The trick most of you would call a bigflip fs boardslide, is actually a varialflip fs boardslide. If not, then you would have to call a kickflip fs boardslide a "bsflip fs boardslide".

Same goes for what most skaters refer to as a fs bigspin bs boardslide. It's a fs pop bs boardslide. If you want to call it a fs bigspin boardslide, you would have to call a regular boardslide "fs 180 bs boardslide".

nah you're wrong on this one,   It is named properly if you come out fakie,  then you've done the whole bigflip motion, just paused it to slide a little.   If you come out regular then the varial argument stands.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
Lets revisit the frontside Indy.....

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
Why is Darkstar still in buisness?
Why doesn't Girl have any ams?
Why do so many pros still have boards that don't deserve them?
Why is skateboarding such a whore?
Why are only 1% of skaters 'for life'
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Borthas

• Rep: -538
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
just quit skateboarding OP

you going to anyway in a few years

guaranteed