Author Topic: The Lakai Pledge  (Read 127768 times)

sweat stains

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
Re: The Lakai Pledge
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
both colorways are sick, but the Griffens. ooo lala!
Yeah, I've wanted a shoe in that colorway for so long!
damn those yarys bout those squats

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
Who here has skated the Marc's and likes Half Cabs height?
How much lower are they than Half Cabs? Or higher than say a Manchester? Any annoying ankle/achilles tendon probs w/ them cutting in? I see they're making them in black canvas now and I want to maybe try em next set.  (I'm vegan so this is a big deal to me).

Have been skatin the canvas Manchesters for a while and I really like them, but do miss to the little bit of ankle-age that Half Cabs have.
I like one piece toe shoes, I hate and destroy toe stitching in minutes! And the sole supposedly lasts longer than the normal herringbone pattern cuz the treads are deeper/thicker, which is really good cuz I make my soles bald pretty fast. (Mob) I usually go thru the sole before I go through the uppers on my shoes. I also do the Shoe Goo thing. Ya kinda have to when you can only skate canvas and your on a budget and can't get shoes often.

*wants*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
How much lower are they than Half Cabs? Or higher than say a Manchester? Any annoying ankle/achilles tendon probs w/ them cutting in? I see they're making them in black canvas now and I want to maybe try em next set.  (I'm vegan so this is a big deal to me).

Have been skatin the canvas Manchesters for a while and I really like them, but do miss to the little bit of ankle-age that Half Cabs have.
I like one piece toe shoes, I hate and destroy toe stitching in minutes! And the sole supposedly lasts longer than the normal herringbone pattern cuz the treads are deeper/thicker, which is really good cuz I make my soles bald pretty fast. (Mob) I usually go thru the sole before I go through the uppers on my shoes. I also do the Shoe Goo thing. Ya kinda have to when you can only skate canvas and your on a budget and can't get shoes often.

The Marc hits right below the part of your ankle that sticks out. Photos of the shoe are a little deceiving with regard to height. I don't think there is much ankle 'support', laterally. There is some protection from the edges of your board hitting your ankles, but not much in the way of actual lateral support. As for the durability of the Lakai canvas, I can't speak to that. I pretty much have to Shoe Goo all of my shoes, regardless of material.

And just for the record regarding shoe height, I have been skating in the Howard Desert Boot, and it hits at the exact same spot as this Marc. The pics of the Howard Desert Boot give the impression it's a true mid, but it's not. It actually only sits marginally higher than the low version. Still a phenomenal shoe. The XLK sole is fantastic.

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
For the guy who bought Vincent's, by any chance were they 12's?

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #334 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Marc hits right below the part of your ankle that sticks out. Photos of the shoe are a little deceiving with regard to height. I don't think there is much ankle 'support', laterally. There is some protection from the edges of your board hitting your ankles, but not much in the way of actual lateral support. As for the durability of the Lakai canvas, I can't speak to that. I pretty much have to Shoe Goo all of my shoes, regardless of material.

And just for the record regarding shoe height, I have been skating in the Howard Desert Boot, and it hits at the exact same spot as this Marc. The pics of the Howard Desert Boot give the impression it's a true mid, but it's not. It actually only sits marginally higher than the low version. Still a phenomenal shoe. The XLK sole is fantastic.

Thanks alot for the info man. If they ever make a canvas desert boot I'm in!
Technically Half Cabs don't have much if any ankle support either when ya think about it.
It's more of a look rather than a purpose. You or anyone ever skate the Carroll Mid's? How fast did all that stitching in the toecap fall apart?

nylin

« Reply #335 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:57 AM »
For the guy who bought Vincent's, by any chance were they 12's?

Nah I'm a 10.5 but they didn't have my size so I said fuck it and bought an 11 and 4 size 10's.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #336 on: September 23, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Technically Half Cabs don't have much if any ankle support either when ya think about it.
It's more of a look rather than a purpose. You or anyone ever skate the Carroll Mid's? How fast did all that stitching in the toecap fall apart?

Yeah, I can't rave enough about the Howard lo and the desert boot. Lakai flat out crushed it with both of those shoes. Look, function, durability.

And I completely agree on your Half Cab point. It's definitely more look than function. I'd say to give the Marc shoe a try. You won't be disappointed. One thing Lakai has done is refocused their energy into quality/durability to go with their designs....as cliche as that sounds, it couldn't be more true. I've been intentionally trying to hammer the shit out of my Howards and they are taking everything I can dish out. The same can be said for the Marc.

I haven't skated in a pair of Carroll mid for at least a year, but it's definitely on my list to get back into soon.

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »

HASHTAG

• Rep: -18
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »

Are those happening? I've seen all of the latest samples for 2014, but those I haven't seen...
#HASHTAG

Randozzi

« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:55 PM »
the more i look at those, the more i like 'em.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I can't rave enough about the Howard lo and the desert boot. Lakai flat out crushed it with both of those shoes. Look, function, durability.

And I completely agree on your Half Cab point. It's definitely more look than function. I'd say to give the Marc shoe a try. You won't be disappointed. One thing Lakai has done is refocused their energy into quality/durability to go with their designs....as cliche as that sounds, it couldn't be more true. I've been intentionally trying to hammer the shit out of my Howards and they are taking everything I can dish out. The same can be said for the Marc.

I haven't skated in a pair of Carroll mid for at least a year, but it's definitely on my list to get back into soon.

So true everything you said man. Fully back Lakai and I'm happy they seem to be doing good business again lately.
I'm a supporter of skater owned brands and I'd like nothing more than to give my $ to Lakai the rest of my skate life.
They always have a few vegan colorways which makes it possible for me.
I will try some Marc's for sure. The only prob I've had w/ any Lakai's is the sole balding, and the deeper tread on the Marc's seem to help that. Look forward to them releasing a canvas or syn. Howard shoe. Haven't had a cupsole in ages.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:41:30 PM by JBones »

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #341 on: September 28, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
These are my Lakai Guy XLKs after maybe 5-6 hours of skating

This is one great skate shoe, even better than my previous Howard XLKs. The shoe skates amazing and is proving to be very durable. The shoe feels like is has more too it on the upper than the Howards did but the sole is thin which is prefect for a modern cupsole. My heel and ankle feel very secure because of the plastic/rubber cup that hold it in place without sacrificing range of motion at all. I can tell the sole will last forever and the upper will have a slightly above average durability.

Just ordered these as my mike mos are nearly dead. I was really interested in the howards but couldn't find an acceptable colourway at all, so it's good to hear someone actually liked these better than them. Hyped to skate 'em for sure.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are those happening? I've seen all of the latest samples for 2014, but those I haven't seen...

These are nice. They may be the first pair of Lakais I buy in about 3 years.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
Lakai Slip ons with XLK soles, yes, yes, what are they called, yes.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's the Griffin sole without the extra foxing tape on the toe, like the Vincent, thicker vulc, not xlk..

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: October 05, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Bought another pair of Lakai Howard Desert Boot. I've posted several times in this thread, this shoe fucking kills in all ways: style, comfort, durability, functionality. I've heard Lakai is discontinuing it so I am trying to scoop up as many pair as I can while they're available.

One thing I have not mentioned though is that for those that couldn't get their foot in the Howard Lo because of how narrow it is might actually be able to get into these. They are not near as narrow. As reference, I wear a 10 and the Lo is SNUG on me, but I could almost get into a 9.5 in the Desert Boot.

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #346 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

These look amazing.  Where did you happen upon them? Scoochy J's sample room?

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #347 on: October 08, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These look amazing.?  Where did you happen upon them? Scoochy J's sample room?

its a picture from scooches insta. and those brown howards are looking niceeee

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #348 on: October 08, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks.  Can't seem to find it on there though...

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #349 on: October 08, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think Jon Sciano uploaded it originally, and he took it down.
damn those yarys bout those squats

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I saw Stevie skating these today he said they should be coming out soon.

b.v.

« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
I also saw John skating the slips on the Dickies tour, look really good.
My buddy just started working for Lakai so it looks like I am aboard this train for the duration.
Just got these are a few pairs of cambys.

fappn poser

• Rep: 2
« Reply #352 on: October 08, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
really appreciate this thread im stoked on these griffins since i havent messed with lakai in years, bouta get me some howards

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I saw Stevie skating these today he said they should be coming out soon.
I took the original screen grab from his insta before he took it down. and then i posted it on the upcoming shoe release thread, ripped laces borrowed it I commented on the post saying "your welcome". Realizing if i deleted the original post they would lose it they cropped out their own an here we are. not that anyone cares.

Anyway this shoe has not been in any catalogues so it seems unlikely that they will be out "soon" . shred 420 did they look vulc or cup the world wants to know

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #354 on: October 10, 2013, 06:11:24 AM »
i bought some howards online, but my foot is too thick to fit in them properly (not wide) i'm going to nuke them and see if it stetches them

i also got some vincents and they are the bees knees

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »
i bought some howards online, but my foot is too thick to fit in them properly (not wide) i'm going to nuke them and see if it stetches them

They will definitely stretch. They are actually designed to be a little tighter when you first get them, but after a day of just walking around, or even after one session they stretch and sort of mold to your foot.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »
Griffin is probably my favourite shoe ever, everyone should try that outsole! a bit thicker than regular vulc but with great grip and super durable. Vincent has the same but without the extra foxingtape on the toe. I prefer the Griffin though, I like shoes with shorter lacing/longer toe area. the only flaw would be cushioning, but I ripped out the thin eva insole and put the zoom air insole from an old pait of bruins in them.

For Holiday they're releasing a suede Telford with that outsole and for sp 14 it's on the Marc, Pico and Brea as well

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:53 AM »
Griffin is probably my favourite shoe ever, everyone should try that outsole! a bit thicker than regular vulc but with great grip and super durable. Vincent has the same but without the extra foxingtape on the toe. I prefer the Griffin though, I like shoes with shorter lacing/longer toe area. the only flaw would be cushioning, but I ripped out the thin eva insole and put the zoom air insole from an old pait of bruins in them.

For Holiday they're releasing a suede Telford with that outsole and for sp 14 it's on the Marc, Pico and Brea as well
Good news, I'm a fan a the Marc, been skating those for around 30 hours and loving them. I just hope they won't get rid of the current insole of the Marc due to the change of sole.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2013, 07:25:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Good news, I'm a fan a the Marc, been skating those for around 30 hours and loving them. I just hope they won't get rid of the current insole of the Marc due to the change of sole.
sorry, pretty sure the insole is gone, the griffin midsole is much thicker but it molds to your feet really well so it doesn't feel that thick when broken in. They still feel comfy and cushy, but it's not the best for impact protection.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They will definitely stretch. They are actually designed to be a little tighter when you first get them, but after a day of just walking around, or even after one session they stretch and sort of mold to your foot.
Yea I wore mine without laces for two day just shooting hoops to break them in. Worth it.