Author Topic: New DLX boards  (Read 5209 times)

folople

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
New DLX boards
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »
I have noticed that lots of the new boards DLX are making have bottom colored ply's, rather than natural wood, and I fucking hate it. My krooked, my friends real, and my other friends anti-hero board all scratch out to color. Am I the only one that really fucking hates this? I really wish that they still had wood plys on the bottom. I was gunna email them but i couldn't find an address on www.dlxsf.com, so i figured i would post it here. Thoughts?

ivegotlevitation

Re: New DLX boards
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
absolutely superb first post.   ::)

as long as boards aren't fully dipped, I don't think anyone really gives a shit about what color the plies are.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »

as long as boards aren't fully dipped, I don't think anyone really gives a shit about what color the plies are.

i have no problem with the board wearing to a colored ply, but i do prefer the good old classic normal wood color.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »
As long as the top ply is dyed I am happy.
Having said that it better not be red or yellow or orange or pink or green or purple or even blue. I like brown and black. But nothing is worse then an un-dyed top ply... nothing. I'd rather have yellow or pink. It just looks cheap and makes the grip job look horrible after one game of skate.

The bottom of the board means nothing to me. If it did I would never find a deck to ride.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 508
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
This is my favourite customer service forum ever.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
just as stupid as than taking out the shields from bearings or using paradox griptape hoping to skate better because of it

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
As long as the top ply is dyed I am happy.
Having said that it better not be red or yellow or orange or pink or green or purple or even blue. I like brown and black. But nothing is worse then an un-dyed top ply... nothing. I'd rather have yellow or pink. It just looks cheap and makes the grip job look horrible after one game of skate.

The bottom of the board means nothing to me. If it did I would never find a deck to ride.

I feel the same way. Was skating a board with un dyed top ply and after the first session it got a bit annoying. I got over it after a while but it bugged me more than I would of expected.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »
damn i've never really cared about that. ive read some skaters get really angry when their sponsors send them boards with a  red top ply
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
As stupid of a topic as this is... What's wrong with a natural top ply? I actually prefer it. As far as the bottom ply goes, it's nice if its dyed a color that goes well with the paint/graphics color(s).

Just to throw it out there, my last 3 DLX decks all had an undyed bottom ply. Hardy and Brock low pro's and Anti Hero GI/18 boards, but I never gave it much thought. If* the bottom ply color was a factor in my purchase decision it would be really, really low on the list.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

foureyedjim

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »
haha wut...

I never even considered the possibility of people getting annoyed by the color of the top ply...lol

zoltan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
i actually love it, when the top and bottom plys are stained a color. I hate it when the top isnt stained, makes it look super cheap like a mini logo board or some shit, but the bottom i dont care as much for.

Johnny Rocketflips

• Rep: -33
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »
Light green top makes me happy these days.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
I like my skateboards skateboard-y.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:21 AM »
I don't care what color the top ply is as long as it's not red.
Hell, I don't even really mind full dipped boards that much either.
I tend to stick with a black, blue, or green top though if I had a choice.
I'll skate a natural topped ply deck if I have to, but I agree with what one of the posters said earlier, after one or two sessions that shit looks terrible and cheap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:22:38 AM by Archers of Chaka »

myles.

• Rep: 4
    • mylessk8s avatar image
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:53 AM »
i really like the way my magenta wears. under the graphic is a dark brown stained ply. wheel bite looks way radder on that deck haha. and i actually dont care about the top ply, unless its plain/unstained. i always do a stripe in the grip, on the toe side, so i prefer some kind of stained top ply. i hate full dipped decks

Archers of Chaka

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:59 AM »
^^^
Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about, I actually like it when the bottom ply is colored and not natural. It looks way cooler after a few slides with a colored ply than a natural one in my opinion. This is one of the things that keep me buying crailtap boards.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:23:55 AM by Archers of Chaka »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 05:21:29 AM »
I love dyed bottom plys. Seems it's coming back into fashion, haven't seen them since the 90's.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

BraveUlysses

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »
^^^
Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about, I actually like it when the bottom ply is colored and not natural. It looks way cooler after a few slides with a colored ply than a natural one in my opinion. This is one of the things that keep my buying crailtap boards.
Agreed. I just had a Girl board that I thought looked really cool after it got all scratched up. Also I can't ride a board with a red top ply.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2217
  • computer says no
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 06:15:32 AM »
I like stained wood... on top of that, I even dig the way split veneers look. Nearly every H-Street I ever bought back in the day was a colorful assortment of wood.

Archers of Chaka

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
Expand Quote
^^^
Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about, I actually like it when the bottom ply is colored and not natural. It looks way cooler after a few slides with a colored ply than a natural one in my opinion. This is one of the things that keep my buying crailtap boards.
[close]
Agreed. I just had a Girl board that I thought looked really cool after it got all scratched up. Also I can't ride a board with a red top ply.
It seems a lot of the posters on here and a lot of people I talk to and know in person refuse to skate red tops. I myself hate red tops too. I remember buying a deck online one time and when it came it was a red top, I was so bummed.
Skate companies, take note. Stop making so many red tops.

weedsk8er_21

• Rep: -8
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
y is red so bad? were u raped by a fire hydrant as a yung boi?

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
Yellow top ply looks so good

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
What's the problem with red top ply's?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »
Big superstition in skateboarding is that if you skate a rep top ply board you're going to get hurt.

That being said I broke my foot skating a rep top ply, never again.

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
Big superstition in skateboarding is that if you skate a rep top ply board you're going to get hurt.

That being said I broke my foot skating a rep top ply, never again.
tore my acl on red top ply...also, never again, even though im sure it is simply coincidence
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

marbrosmoke

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
I love dyed bottom plys. Seems it's coming back into fashion, haven't seen them since the 90's.

I kinda like it to, looks cool when it matches some of the graphics colors too. I remember back in the early 90's "world, blind, 101" days all the good companies had dyed top and bottom plys.

marbrosmoke

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^^^
[close]
[close]
It seems a lot of the posters on here and a lot of people I talk to and know in person refuse to skate red tops. I myself hate red tops too. I remember buying a deck online one time and when it came it was a red top, I was so bummed.
Skate companies, take note. Stop making so many red tops.

It's funny Lizard King & all the Baker x Deathwish dudes never skate red ply's because of the "red ply curse". This is even funnier because I know a kid who is flowed by them and every board he gets is a red top ply.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
I heard that somewhere in the south pacific there's an island half the size of New Jersey made entirely out of unused red ply boards.