Author Topic: NBA Thread  (Read 382233 times)

KBizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NBA Thread
« Reply #5310 on: May 29, 2024, 11:22:55 PM »
Man, Boston is clearly an exceptionally good team this year, but this moving on against one heavily hobbled opponent after another is getting a bit boring

Boston was gonna win that series no matter what. Better team with way more experience than the Pacers.

The fact that Shammgod is on the Mavs coaching staff is enough for me.

All of the Kyrie/Shamgod coverage has been the highlight of the playoffs for me. Mavs practices look fun.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #5311 on: May 30, 2024, 12:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't believe I have to root for a team from Texas but here we are.  I am 100% on the god damn Mavs train now that they're playing that evil green team. 
Ran into Bill Walton a few times at ASR and Agenda over the years, he was always coming to trade shows randomly.  He was truly an awesome individual.
[close]

I also love that the 3 Dallas teams not the Cowboys are up right now.
[close]
I like a lot of things about the Mavs actually, I just despise "Texas sports fans" for the most part.  But Cuban is a super solid owner, if you haven't listened to his All The Smoke episode, it's really good and he comes across as one of the best owners of all time.  I like Luka's game and Kyrie seems to really have found his gear in that system.  Kidd has always been likeable to me as a coach as well, wish the Lakers kept him when he was an assitant in the bubble for us.

@rothdigga did you miss Cuban sold his majority interests to that creepy Vegas GOP donorís (Sheldon adelstein) daughter

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #5312 on: May 30, 2024, 06:00:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't believe I have to root for a team from Texas but here we are.  I am 100% on the god damn Mavs train now that they're playing that evil green team. 
Ran into Bill Walton a few times at ASR and Agenda over the years, he was always coming to trade shows randomly.  He was truly an awesome individual.
[close]

[close]
I like a lot of things about the Mavs actually, I just despise "Texas sports fans" for the most part.  But Cuban is a super solid owner, if you haven't listened to his All The Smoke episode, it's really good and he comes across as one of the best owners of all time.  I like Luka's game and Kyrie seems to really have found his gear in that system.  Kidd has always been likeable to me as a coach as well, wish the Lakers kept him when he was an assitant in the bubble for us.
[close]

@rothdigga did you miss Cuban sold his majority interests to that creepy Vegas GOP donorís (Sheldon adelstein) daughter

Yes, but did you consider that the owner of the Timberwolves, Glen Taylor, made his fortune in the printing industry. I wonder how many Timberwolves he displayed via deforestation.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5313 on: May 30, 2024, 06:18:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yes, but did you consider that the owner of the Timberwolves, Glen Taylor, made his fortune in the printing industry. I wonder how many Timberwolves he displayed via deforestation.

I mean, I donít expect sports owners to be good people, but there are some like the DeVosís who own the Magic that I hold extra opprobrium for.    I just with Cubes sold to a less gross family

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5314 on: May 30, 2024, 06:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean, I donít expect sports owners to be good people, but there are some like the DeVosís who own the Magic that I hold extra opprobrium for.    I just with Cubes sold to a less gross family

I just looked up the Timberwolves owner and thatís the best I could come up with. To be honest, I donít know much about Sheldon Adelstein. I will educate myself and determine if his offspring deserves to win.

Edit: ĎTrumpís biggest backerí is all I need to know.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5315 on: May 30, 2024, 06:40:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just looked up the Timberwolves owner and thatís the best I could come up with. To be honest, I donít know much about Sheldon Adelstein. I will educate myself and determine if his offspring deserves to win.

A-Rodís a part owner of the Timberwolves.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5316 on: May 30, 2024, 08:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A-Rodís a part owner of the Timberwolves.

Is he?   I thought that group heís in was still getting jerked around

Edit: saw that heís a minority owner attempting to be a majority owner

rothdigga

• Rep: 612
« Reply #5317 on: May 30, 2024, 09:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I'll root for the god damn devil over the Celtics.  Put a team with Pol Pot, Idi Amin and Stalin as the ownership group and I'm cheering for them over Boston all day long...ha

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5318 on: May 30, 2024, 09:35:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I'll root for the god damn devil over the Celtics.  Put a team with Pol Pot, Idi Amin and Stalin as the ownership group and I'm cheering for them over Boston all day long...ha

I agree only so far.   Iíd take Celtics over the Clippers.   Iíd take Celtics winning over the Clippers even making the Finals

LeDave

• Rep: 41
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #5319 on: May 30, 2024, 10:46:28 AM »
Let's go my Wolves.... Let's go! LET'S GO!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5320 on: May 30, 2024, 11:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Love that the guy who works for the Boston-based company says that.

Not gonna lie, New Balance has one of the best hoop squads of all the shoe companies.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5321 on: May 30, 2024, 11:20:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not gonna lie, New Balance has one of the best hoop squads of all the shoe companies.

Yeah, Kawhiís sneakers are fresh 2 def.

I think the Lakers are at an all time low point right now. I hope for yaílls sake LeBron takes his talents to The Suns. I once rooted for KD over Kobe, but there are no players on the current Celtics that jump out at me. For the Lakers fans, Iíd like to see Joker on that team with AD. LeBron is passed his sell by date. And, can anyone say ĎBronyí w/o throwing up a little bit in their mouth?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 920
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #5322 on: May 30, 2024, 11:45:31 AM »
Iíd like to see Joker on that team with AD.

He ainít leavin, AD can come to Denver. Or Lebron why not.

(Plz donít leave Nikola I learned Serbian phrases in case I ever cross paths with you Iíll buy you a horse or chariot or whatever)

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5323 on: May 30, 2024, 12:02:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Iíd like to see Joker on that team with AD.
[close]

He ainít leavin, AD can come to Denver. Or Lebron why not.

(Plz donít leave Nikola I learned Serbian phrases in case I ever cross paths with you Iíll buy you a horse or chariot or whatever)

AD on the Nuggets would be a no brainer. Joker needs another big. He was doin too much.

BTWóHim and Malone are lifers. Every one else is expendable. Except maybe Gordon just because Joker loves passing to him.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #5324 on: May 30, 2024, 08:22:55 PM »
good season for the wolves, but yeesh, mavs deserve to go to the finals

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #5325 on: May 30, 2024, 09:25:25 PM »
WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP Luka and Kyrie got mad , Celtics could be in big trouble.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5326 on: May 30, 2024, 09:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think the Lakers are at an all time low point right now. I hope for yaílls sake LeBron takes his talents to The Suns. I once rooted for KD over Kobe, but there are no players on the current Celtics that jump out at me. For the Lakers fans, Iíd like to see Joker on that team with AD. LeBron is passed his sell by date. And, can anyone say ĎBronyí w/o throwing up a little bit in their mouth?

If you think Lakers are at an all time low point, you should check out the post-Shaq years or the final Kobe years.   We made the WCF last year and did fine enough in the playoffs this year considering league trends

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5327 on: May 30, 2024, 10:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you think Lakers are at an all time low point, you should check out the post-Shaq years or the final Kobe years.   We made the WCF last year and did fine enough in the playoffs this year considering league trends

I just think the Lakers are holding onto LeBron to make money from broadcast rights and not to win a championship. Signing LeBronís son and podcast partner is a joke. If they wanted to win they would allow LeBron to walk and build with the talent they have. Jeanie Bus is allowing LeBron to run the Lakers organization and itís sad. Kobe would not approve.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5328 on: May 31, 2024, 01:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just think the Lakers are holding onto LeBron to make money from broadcast rights and not to win a championship. Signing LeBronís son and podcast partner is a joke. If they wanted to win they would allow LeBron to walk and build with the talent they have. Jeanie Bus is allowing LeBron to run the Lakers organization and itís sad. Kobe would not approve.

Kobe would approve because we overpaid him significantly (which he said was right to do) in his final years when he could barely walk without getting an Achilles injury and it kept the lakers from signing anyone that could help us out - a move that crippled us until Lebron came and got us back to winning ways.

We havenít signed Bronny yet and from what I hear, itís not even a promising draft so if we use whatever crappy picks we still have left to get him, so what?   Itís not like weíre burning a lottery pick or even a first round on him.  Weíve lost those a long time ago and if he goes to the Suns, I doubt that Lebron is going there considering Phoenixís is loaded with heavy ass contracts that will be hard to move to make way

Re: JJ - I donít know if itís a good or bad move.   Havenít run Xís and Oís with him.   Gotta assume Lebron and Coach K arenít approving of him just for shits and giggles

parasocial skater

• Rep: -6
« Reply #5329 on: May 31, 2024, 05:11:12 AM »
Mavs in 6

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5330 on: May 31, 2024, 07:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Kobe would approve because we overpaid him significantly (which he said was right to do) in his final years when he could barely walk without getting an Achilles injury and it kept the lakers from signing anyone that could help us out - a move that crippled us until Lebron came and got us back to winning ways.

We havenít signed Bronny yet and from what I hear, itís not even a promising draft so if we use whatever crappy picks we still have left to get him, so what?   Itís not like weíre burning a lottery pick or even a first round on him.  Weíve lost those a long time ago and if he goes to the Suns, I doubt that Lebron is going there considering Phoenixís is loaded with heavy ass contracts that will be hard to move to make way

Re: JJ - I donít know if itís a good or bad move.   Havenít run Xís and Oís with him.   Gotta assume Lebron and Coach K arenít approving of him just for shits and giggles

Fair enough. Since you are a Lakers fan and I am not your perception is more relevant. I just donít like the constant focus on LeBron and his needs, but if it is Lakers fashion to hang on to their aging superstars then there is a model the are working from. The only difference is Magic and Kobe were Lakers for life and combined for 10 championships.

My favorite era was the Magic era. My dad was a Bird guy so I rooted for Magic. Loved those fast break dishes to Cooper or Worthy. I started watching Winning Time and Adrian Brody as Pat Riley is incredible casting, even though they look almost nothing alike.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5331 on: May 31, 2024, 08:35:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fair enough. Since you are a Lakers fan and I am not your perception is more relevant. I just donít like the constant focus on LeBron and his needs, but if it is Lakers fashion to hang on to their aging superstars then there is a model the are working from. The only difference is Magic and Kobe were Lakers for life and combined for 10 championships.

My favorite era was the Magic era. My dad was a Bird guy so I rooted for Magic. Loved those fast break dishes to Cooper or Worthy. I started watching Winning Time and Adrian Brody as Pat Riley is incredible casting, even though they look almost nothing alike.

Iím a little younger so I was there for the end of the Lake Show (van exel/jones) but really the Shaq/Kobe/Phil era.   

Magic and Kobe were def lakers for life, but Kobe was never afraid of using going to the Clippers (or Bulls) as leverage for getting his contracts and according to winning time, Magic made some empty ďtrade meĒ threats too

I donít disagree with all the noise around Lebron, but I think itís the amount of noise that always happens with the Lakers and with the biggest star in the league (heís not the best player, but heís the biggest name).   Iíve learned to tune that out after the Shaq Kobe feud stressed me out

rothdigga

« Reply #5332 on: May 31, 2024, 09:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Iím a little younger so I was there for the end of the Lake Show (van exel/jones) but really the Shaq/Kobe/Phil era.   

Magic and Kobe were def lakers for life, but Kobe was never afraid of using going to the Clippers (or Bulls) as leverage for getting his contracts and according to winning time, Magic made some empty ďtrade meĒ threats too

I donít disagree with all the noise around Lebron, but I think itís the amount of noise that always happens with the Lakers and with the biggest star in the league (heís not the best player, but heís the biggest name).   Iíve learned to tune that out after the Shaq Kobe feud stressed me out
My favorite era was actually the Lake Show era early on before they won any chips.  Those Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Elden Campbell and Sedale Threat squads (George Lynch etc) were fun as hell.  They beat the Sonics in the first round and then played a stacked Spurs team in the 2nd round and it felt like the finals to me after some real dog years post Magic.  It's always super fun watching a team build up from nothing.  I agree that Bron is WAY past due to go but at the same time, the lakers really don't do a full rebuild too often as a franchise and I think they just pay those older stars as a signal to the rest of the league/players that "hey, come here and we'll keep paying the fuck out of you even when you don't deserve it".
Last year was actually a super fun ride in the playoffs because I had 0 expectations and they competed like hell, even when they got swept. 

rothdigga

« Reply #5333 on: May 31, 2024, 09:20:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I wear all Laker gear when I have to go back to big NB in Boston and get so much shit walking in the halls there...it's amazing.  "You got a lotta balls wearing that hat around here" was what one senior finance guy told me in jest.  Our NB headquarters houses the Celtics and Bruins practice facilities so NB is 100% Celtics all day long. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5334 on: May 31, 2024, 10:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I wear all Laker gear when I have to go back to big NB in Boston and get so much shit walking in the halls there...it's amazing.  "You got a lotta balls wearing that hat around here" was what one senior finance guy told me in jest.  Our NB headquarters houses the Celtics and Bruins practice facilities so NB is 100% Celtics all day long.

I lived in Boston during the 00s and the Lakers Celtics never had heat in my lifetime and the Celtics were a 17-win team so I felt fine in supporting the Lakers publicly and keeping my animus focused on the Kings and SpursÖuntil one fateful offseason

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5335 on: June 04, 2024, 04:51:08 AM »
Clipped, about Donald Sterling and v Stiviano, just started on Hulu/FX.   Come see it for Lawrence Fishburnís Doc Rivers hair that looks like that time Carlos Boozer had that weird paint thing on his head

parasocial skater

« Reply #5336 on: June 06, 2024, 06:14:22 AM »
damnit looks like the lakers arent signing JJ

I was so ready to dunk on him throughout next season

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1454
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #5337 on: June 06, 2024, 08:33:50 PM »
Maybe I was wrong about the Celtics. If Porzingis stays healthy, Luka/Kyrie are getting a run for their money.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5338 on: June 06, 2024, 09:12:48 PM »

yeah. that woulda been easy money
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

parasocial skater

« Reply #5339 on: June 07, 2024, 05:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah. that woulda been easy money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3ZQWbap-M