Author Topic: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing  (Read 17921 times)

SUPERNAUT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
Re: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
What im saying is, dude should not be settling for less when he goes out and skates, just drop all the trendy shit and stop trying to fit in so goddamn hard. Its like hes not even trying. Hes clearly talented enough to be doing pinnacle shit, he doesnt need to be doing crappy combo grinds. The rainbow rail and his opening trick are his best tricks. Brand new spots next to no one skates and pinnacle looking shit. Pretty much all in LA where people say there isnt anything new to skate. Everybody else is going to be all bummed thinking "well i couldve skated that" but they didnt. and i like where hes going with that kinked curved hubba 50-50 he bails before his name appears. He has lots of good tricks in this.

Its just all the trendy/halfassed shit he needs to cut out. If youre just going to look around you and do what everyone else is doing then go to some other buttfuck company and do that. I just want to see him push himself more. Look at the team youre on: grant, jake, dylan, bledsoe, salazar, these dudes skate like themselves. Even terpenings is coming into his own with his whole, "im from the 80s, ive come to beanplant your tables." people wanna skate like those dude, not some guy who wants to button up his shirt all the way and is the 30th dude to ollie over a rail. If youre gonna ollie over a rail and be an am for that team find a kinked rail and ollie over the rail and past the kink and 5050 that shit. Blow peoples minds. Not this , "well its good enough" shit.
I'm not going to post anymore in this thread after this, but those tricks you're talking about, he's not doing them on curbs or six stairs, he's doing those tricks on big, gnaly spots and he's going fast doing it. Why do you expect so much anyway? It's not like they immediately turned him pro or anything.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:18 PM »
Because. if you ride for a company that matters you should be doing tricks that matter.

as it stands i dont see what separates him from the seas of dudes who ride for B tier companys outside of that rainbow rail trick and a few others.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:54:46 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
just because a trick is popular does not mean it isn't extremely difficult or lesser in any way.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »
I was really high when I first watched this on new year's eve.
I was watching it on my iPhone and had a hard time believing this video existed. I watched it like 10 times in a row and was kind of pissed that Alien Workshop has such good music in their videos. Not the same bands used over and over in skate edits.

But man, this clip is amazing. Also considering he's filming for the Vans Video prolly. Quality clips.
Alien edit>zero edit
srry Jamie still love you tho.

Terpening's KF over the Target carts was gnarly. He was dressed like some dude from a New Deal video or something. straight early 90's. So sick.

nothing's been the since same

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
Terpening's KF over the Target carts was gnarly. He was dressed like some dude from a New Deal video or something. straight early 90's. So sick.
Thought the exact same thing. Probably my favorite trick in the whole thing, that and Jake's wallride pretty much stole the show for me.

zoltan

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The little slappy to start his line, the 180 (halfcab) the hard way, the crappy rail combo that doesnt look good, ollieing over the back of the rail into the grind. I mean, he skates some big shit that looks sick but then hes got all those filler lines and then the trendy tricks. And then theres his whole workwear uniform that hes suddenly rocking. Its a bit much. He could be on foundation or something and that would make sense but not really workshop.

The workshop editing and the filming really bring it all together more than fitzgerald does. The filming on that first pool line is sick tho. Hes on the team, good for him, but nothing he does screams "legend in the making"

[close]
If you watch one in a million again, he rocks plain tees and dickies the whole time. I don't think any of that can be called "filler" either.
[close]

ehh he can charge big shit but that line at 3rd and army was pretty weak. its not hard to grind tall ledges.
[close]
First of all, you're right; it's not hard to grind tall ledges, but it is hard to grind really tall ledges. That thing is damn near chest high! But more importantly, I've never seen anyone skate it that way and thinking differently is cool.

i guess, its kind of the trend though everyone is trying to skate spots backwards or go up them. John had the right idea but 50-50 drop to a 5-0 doesnt look that cool... and he couldnt have done a cleaner fakie 5-0 180 so he didnt have to do that hideous ogre push haha.

John rips if he keeps putting out clips of this quality i cant hate, i just dont like how he looks on a skateboard. he looks built for the NBA

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2013, 07:32:23 AM »
i enjoyed everything about this clip.. and that wierd shaped white hubba he 5050s is fucking massive! saw it when i went to barca and its like nipple high.. serious pop in them ogreish limbs of his

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
this dude is getting more and more into his own gnar zone lately. i'm definitely backing this shit. some of those spots have been sitting unskated for years being passed on by some of your favorite big boys. john stepped to it and i think every fucking trick looked good. thats tight. fuck what else yall talm bout.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

Phil

• Rep: -48
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
OH MAN THAT ONE FRONT BOARD! Hes a big dude so the rail started to bend and every reinforcing upright bar in the rail was a little bump and he just rides it out! I loved absolutely everything about this. Alien is finally starting to progress as far as their image goes I think. They seemed kind of stagnant and seemed lost image wise after the Burton buy out.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »
other then the intro that had nothing to do with anything.. super sick. good sounds, good edit, some crazy stops, and things to even step to.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
This guy has always skated like this, you can see it from his OIAM tape and the random clips he has on youtube. Just because it's trendy to skate that way doesn't mean he's doing it because he's trendy. Besides, that clip was fucking sick, been watching it before I go skate and it hypes me up a whole lot.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
After watching this part again and again, and not being convinced by it (while it was obvious Boserio fitted well to Alien) I ended up thinking that if Mikey Taylor can be on Alien then this guy too, he is way more legit than Taylor IMO.

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
part is sick as fuck, thead is gay as fuck

zoltan

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
i lol'd when he parked his truck next to the loading dock and feebled it

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »
What im saying is, dude should not be settling for less when he goes out and skates, just drop all the trendy shit and stop trying to fit in so goddamn hard. Its like hes not even trying. Hes clearly talented enough to be doing pinnacle shit, he doesnt need to be doing crappy combo grinds. The rainbow rail and his opening trick are his best tricks. Brand new spots next to no one skates and pinnacle looking shit. Pretty much all in LA where people say there isnt anything new to skate. Everybody else is going to be all bummed thinking "well i couldve skated that" but they didnt. and i like where hes going with that kinked curved hubba 50-50 he bails before his name appears. He has lots of good tricks in this.

Its just all the trendy/halfassed shit he needs to cut out. If youre just going to look around you and do what everyone else is doing then go to some other buttfuck company and do that. I just want to see him push himself more. Look at the team youre on: grant, jake, dylan, bledsoe, salazar, these dudes skate like themselves. Even terpenings is coming into his own with his whole, "im from the 80s, ive come to beanplant your tables." people wanna skate like those dude, not some guy who wants to button up his shirt all the way and is the 30th dude to ollie over a rail. If youre gonna ollie over a rail and be an am for that team find a kinked rail and ollie over the rail and past the kink and 5050 that shit. Blow peoples minds. Not this , "well its good enough" shit.
rewatch oiam with him in it. You can tell by watching him there that this actually reflects how he likes to skate, not him following trends. If he cared about what was popular you'd see a lot more fliptricks.
 Also, footplant tricks like beanplants are hella trendy right now. The only actual problem I have with Alien workshop is that they seem a little to fond of trends- whether it is being part of the last one or trying to create the next one. Dill'n Dylan are two of the most annoyingly trend obsessed people ever.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
rewatch oiam with him in it. You can tell by watching him there that this actually reflects how he likes to skate, not him following trends. If he cared about what was popular you'd see a lot more fliptricks.
 Also, footplant tricks like beanplants are hella trendy right now. The only actual problem I have with Alien workshop is that they seem a little to fond of trends- whether it is being part of the last one or trying to create the next one. Dill'n Dylan are two of the most annoyingly trend obsessed people ever.

With dylan, i dont think theres a conscious effort to start trends, he just does things and people are into it, but you have a point about footplants and jason dill in general. Im not sure you could say the whole team is like that, just certain dudes but then theres this whole meta argument that could be made about certain people on other reputable skate teams that do the exact same thing. Terpenings getting better and better though, he just needs more time, his style is definitely getting there.

As for fitzgerald I guess ill have to rewatch oiam, i just dont remember the full button up deal or the slappies, etc. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with slappies, its just that i like his next level rail and hubba stuff a lot more than all the basic stuff hes doing. I guess i just expect more from him. Like, the same expectations someone should have if they were about to get on girl/chocolate. i think its the same if ur trying to get on alien.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:28:02 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

marbrosmoke

• Rep: -8
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »
Reminds me of a little bit of a goofy footed BA.

immagetchuwet

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

With dylan, i dont think theres a conscious effort to start trends, he just does things and people are into it, but you have a point about footplants and jason dill in general. Im not sure you could say the whole team is like that, just certain dudes but then theres this whole meta argument that could be made about certain people on other reputable skate teams that do the exact same thing. Terpenings getting better and better though, he just needs more time, his style is definitely getting there.

As for fitzgerald I guess ill have to rewatch oiam, i just dont remember the full button up deal or the slappies, etc. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with slappies, its just that i like his next level rail and hubba stuff a lot more than all the basic stuff hes doing. I guess i just expect more from him. Like, the same expectations someone should have if they were about to get on girl/chocolate. i think its the same if ur trying to get on alien.
Do yourself a favor and just shut up.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:07 AM »

With dylan, i dont think theres a conscious effort to start trends, he just does things and people are into it,

I didn't read any of the rants above this, but this part made me laugh out loud. I think this might be the single most ill informed thing I've ever read on SLAP. No, he doesn't start trends, he lives by what is trendy, takes it to an Nth degree, to where it is nothing more than laughable, and runs them into the ground.

If wearing pink shoelaces became trendy tomorrow, Dylan would be this first to show up to the spot in a solid pink onsie.

Jetsetter.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
Like with his dress shoe and doing impossibles? Because lots of people were successfully making those trendy before him......

via

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
He was far from the one who brought impossibles back, people were already doing them. He just did one over that bench.

but

He took something trendy (boat shoes)

took them to the Nth degree (dress shoes) to the point of where it became laughable

and ran the trend into the ground, resulting in this being the new trend

We've gone from boat shoes, to high fashion, back to vans and dickies.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:54:20 AM by via »

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
Because. if you ride for a company that matters you should be doing tricks that matter.

as it stands i dont see what separates him from the seas of dudes who ride for B tier companys outside of that rainbow rail trick and a few others.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever heard on the ol' Slap Board.  Cannot let that one get away.     

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever heard on the ol' Slap Board.  Cannot let that one get away.    

its what they do at plenty of your favorite companies. You think they put cory kennedy on for his pretty smile?

And honestly via, i think youre making associations where they dont exist. Dudes into dressshoes -> dude made a skateable dress shoe. He wears lots of loafers now, how does that fit into taking trends to nth degree? I mean, look at it this way, thats a shoe an actual shoe designer could be proud of. Theres shoes out there that go for 800 dollars that have the same design inspirations the dylan shoe has but dont look nearly as good.

I remember what all the footage looked like around the time that gravis part came out. I can think of a couple of impossibles but nothing ever made anyone go holy shit. People took notice to the ammount he did, even did em with grabs. People dug it. I mean, people were doing combo grinds before fully flared, there were a bunch in inhabitants and bag of suck but fully flared is the video credited with bringing them back so its not the first time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:19:04 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

via

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
Hah, I just really don't like Dylans whole persona/image that he's trying really hard to be/look like. Usually I don't care what people I've never met want to make of themselves, but his is just especially irritating for some reason. It doesn't matter at all, though, I don't really care. I'm down to just agree to disagree on what he has done in skateboarding.

For the record though, did you just say you think those Gravis shoes look good?

jesus0nvi4gra

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
How is everyone not just totally fucking stoked on this part.  The editing, the music, the skating, the filming.  It's so fucking rad. 

SheepShagger

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »

I can't believe you like Lennie Kirk.  You didn't even spell his name right you fucking kook.  "B tier". Once a Plan B fan boy always a Plan B fan boy.

SheepShagger

« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
alien workshop is one of the most legit companies out right now

Exept their name and graphics suck. I mean they always have except for the photo slick boards.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 910
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
He was far from the one who brought impossibles back, people were already doing them. He just did one over that bench.

Yeah, he was doing them before too.

There's two in this part, this was the first I ever saw of him. It came out before Time to Shine which was like '06. I guess the point is he was always doing them, but grew into being able to do them really well (in my opinion probably the best all time) and that made them "trendy."

SheepShagger

« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »

but

took them to the Nth degree (dress shoes) to the point of where it became laughable

You don't what the fuck you are talking about. Just stop.

Sick part. Flip tricks are boring, do you need to know he can kickflip on flat when he is getting gnarly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:21:02 PM by SheepShagger »

TheHoard

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

but

2:03 is still the best Impossible variation done since the trick was created.